RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 11:44 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42310
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Rhaid i heliwr hela
right-aligned image

Even though he suspects he somehow already knew, Owain was still a bit surprised when the pieces he'd gleaned about his father fell into a more complete picture. He thought about what that shared connection with the Hunt must mean and where it could've found their bloodline in the first place as he sat, letting both his body and mind relax after the frenzy of battle. It made sense, he'd always been told he went out of his way to seek trouble. Truthfully, he just enjoyed fighting, and if that ended with even one evil removed from the world, that was a bonus. At least, that's what he'd always told himself. Maybe there's something more to it though.

When talk turned to Plomfleet, Owain paid close attention to what Glim had to say. Talking about Plomfleet brought a sort of scowl to his face like eating something bitter. "Aye, that goblin is a wiley one. Smaart enough not to try and capture Brenna." The Welshman chuckled and added, "What is a whelp like him compared to a barghest? I believe Brenna and Almira slayed one, likely with daggers from their eyes!"

He thought about the Gloom Drudes and how bad they must be if they were too evil for Plomfleet. They'd definitely need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. "One of the Hobgolin tribes wanted Plomfleet when we held him, I wonder if they'd be keen to go after these Gloomers with us?" He was surprised to hear about his Dad convalescing and was eager to jump at the distraction hunting goblins might provide. What Tambovsky said next was both a shock and completely unsurprising given the loyalty and genuine care for people he'd found in the soldier. "I won't deny that I'd like to see my Da. He could probably help me understand some things and would no doubt have valuable information or insights on what we're up against here in Blaud Hill. Especially if he just killed Plonfleet and Gomflur's mentor."

Owain smiled at Lauria, "There is nothing to be ashamed of in knowing your limits. Besides, someone will need to tell the others where we went off to so they don't come looking for us."

Mechanics & Stats

Old Jan 1st, 2024, 12:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7738
Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage
Well, that was nice... was it? Sylana wasn't sure if her thoughts were laced with an unhealthy helping of sarcasm. The gnomes had gone for now, and perhaps whatever barrier there was between them had been replaced by a good dose of mutual understanding. She took the mittens that had mysterious appeared near her and pulled them over her small hands. They'd probably be in the way of her more dexterous work, but for now this was a show of faith. She smiled at Turley, a hesitant but mostly sincere smile. "No, thank you, Turley. I don't need anything." As he left, she glanced at the food she'd been offered. What was it that had broken the ice? Deciding to suck up her spite and passive aggressive behaviour, she quaffed the ale and ate the food heartily.

Her search turned up more mysteries, one them a dagger now nesting safely on her belt where she'd attached it. It would fit nicely there along with her two swords. It was made for her, after all. She started dragging all the items back to where Owain and Tambovsky where, when she spotted Turley coming her was with another gnome in tow. "Back so soon?" she inquired, actually surprised to see the gnome back. Her skin was starting to crawl and she wanted to get out of here. "Hello," she said as politely as she could muster to the newcomer. As she glanced at the two gnomes, her mind started to catalogue the items they needed to take back with them. For her, at least, it was a case of getting back to the Chancellery. Then perhaps finding out more about these tunnels - they might be the only way out of this town. "Just taking all this stuff back to our group. Might be something that would shed some light on what's going on in this town and what these creatures were doing here. Orcs are nasty, that's for sure, but this one was a literal butcher. And then there were those upstairs. Wererats and snakes - an odd combination but there were some clues as to who was involved. I like a mystery as much as the next person, but this is a bundle of mysteries very tightly tangled. I do hope I have the mind to solve it?" She glanced at the gnomes, inviting them to offer some light on the mysteries, her eyes as innocent as she could muster. If they're that good with illusions, they might know more than they let on.

Statblock

Last edited by Pinotage; Jan 2nd, 2024 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 03:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21153
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
AllGlim purses his lips and his wide forehead wrinkles like pond ripples at Tambovsky's exclamation and question. No, there are no Underground roads in that part of the Far Woods. "The Downs," as we call them are not safe for digging. Too many barrows and old graves there for safety. Dead things creep there, dead humans that is. Their restless spirits wander about and crawl through the old crypts. It is too 'human' a place for us. Some of the spirits are harmless, just going about their day like they did in life. Others have unnatural hungers and crave the warmth of living things. You have killed some of those sorts already. We can lead you there though. We have guides and um, yes, um, my nephew Phettlebur can lead you. And I am sure Turley Silversteen will go too, and Omlin. Omlin knows the woods. She often collects mushrooms and herbs from the forest. She is learning to brew beer. Shows quite promise for that. Yes, I will gather them together while you say your farewells to your valiant friend. Glim turns and hustles off, clearly happy to have a purpose and a plan.

The other gnomes catch on to Tambovsky's enthusiasm and Tambovsk's plan to join Gwalchmei. The party can see gnomes clapping each other on the back, smiling and chatting like excited chipmunks. Several gnomes have started cleaning up the kitchen and two are looking through the pantry and making packets of food for a trip. Two more have started making salami and cheese sandwiches with watercress and wild onions, all of it slathered in hot mustard.
Owain rested quietly, letting his body relax and cool and his thoughts wander. Leaning back against the wall, he noticed the gnomes honored him and respected him, but they had a wariness of him. Whereas they seem to take to Tambovsky, almost like he was a long lost older brother come home. He could tell the gnomes instinctively trusted Tambovsky. Something they hadn't shown much of to the rest of them. The gnomes acted particularly wary of Lady Danicea and Sylana. Lady Danicea, a noble and a knight, could be quite intimidating if you didn't know her well. Sylana though was neither. Why the gnomes were wary of her seemed odd. In Owain's experience, gnomes and halflings got along well with each other.
A young gnome stands near him, waiting on him. When Owain mentions the Barghest the young gnome smiles at him, her soft, doe like brown eyes full of admiration for Almira and Brenna. She lightly touches Owain on the forearm and speaks in a whisper soft voice, The "Amikiir" was there as well. She shot the first arrow. Ms Brenna put herself out as bait, she is so very brave. When the hairy demon came for Brenna, the "Amikiir" shot first, slowing the beast and then they all ambushed and killed it. I would like to meet them someday and thank them. That creature ate two of my cousins. She sniffles a little but doesn't look away, her eyes wide, watching Owain. Those hobgoblins would be the Iron Fangs. They serve Baron Hugarn of Nimjegin. He is an evil slaver. He often uses gnomes to bait his fighting dogs and bears. She shakes her head as she says that.
The young gnome steps aside as talk moves to other subjects and Owain looks to Lauria and calls out to her, offering comfort and encouragement. Lauria looks up, gives Owain a wan smile and nods in appreciation for his words. She stands up and walks over, dropping to a knee next to him, Here, you will have more need of this than I. This is a wand that shoots icicles. You simply point, aiming the wand like it's finger and press down on this bump. The longer you hold the bump, the more icicles that come out. I don't know how much is left. I have only used it once, so the wand should have more than a few uses left. Lauria hands Owain the hawthorn wood wand, the smooth wood tingling beneath his fingers. Touching the wand fills his senses with the sight and quiet of falling snow. Lauria pats him on the shoulder, thanking him before standing and heading over to Father Keth and making ready to leave.

Out in the main dining/common area, gnomes have already started sweeping up with brooms, dust pans and damp cloths. Sylana sits quietly, among the sacks and packs and loose things she had gathered around her while the gnomes bustle all around her, yet none come near her. They are waiting for her to leave before cleaning that part of the room.
She turns to see four gnomes appear from the illusion carrying Pippa on a stretcher. Pippa has been washed and bandaged and lay sleeping easy as the gnomes carry her towards the door and set her down to wait for Father Keth and Lauria.
A table with four comfortable looking chairs now appeared over the illusion, covering it up. Now that she knew it was there, Sylana could find it again, if needed. She put the mittens on, trying them out for size and comfort. The mittens were warm and soft and as soon as she started using her hands, the mittens shifted in shape, become fingerless gloves. Thinking about the 'mittens' she got them to change again to regular gloves and fluffly mittens before they shifted back to their original shape. During all the shifts her hands remained warm even the ends of her fingers when they were uncovered. Sylana is gathering things together, putting them in piles according to their value when Turley and another gnomes come back.
Turley gives Sylana a sheepish smile while the other gnome, who she can see is not actually old, but worn and weathered and recently burned, gives her a wide smile. His sparkly blue eyes appraisingly look over her stash of goodies. He also notices her mittens and nods approvingly. I am Phettlebur, just Phettle works though. Ha, I see you notice the burns. I am healing fine. I had to light myself on fire to escape an Ettercap web, better to burn than be bitten I say. Phettle rubs his chin as he listens to her, Yea, Blaud Hill is a messed up place, always has been really, only now it is confusingly messed up. Kings and Queens, Bishops and Dukes, all vying for kisses and pies. You know how humans are. The Marquis also helped, I think, not really sure what he has to do with it, but being the Marquis, he has a hand in it somewhere. Ah, the Marquis of Wynnegard. He is a Fey Prince or something or other. He and his kind cross the Veil to play in Blaud Hill. Never should have elected Plomfleet Mayor. That is when everything rotted out, literally and figuratively.

Sylana hears Phettleburs name called out, followed by Turley's. Phettlebur turns with a scowl on his face while Turley hunches his shoulders like a child caught disobeying his parents. That is quickly followed by more gnomes coming up from under the table illusion. Some of them are in armor, others carry blankets and what looks like saddlebags.

Owain feels the gnome next to him wince as Glim mentions Omlin. Owain looks at her and she blushes and quietly steps up to Glim, letting him know she is there. Glim, she says in that quiet voice of hers, I will gather my things. Turning to Owain, she says, I Omlin, I am glad to guide you. She then leaves the kitchen and disappears into the common room.

OOC-All party members roll for perception and SA Dex and Str, DC 8. Party Members: Owain, Sylana, Tambovksy, Lady Danicea, Turley Silversteen, Omlin, Phettle, and Turely. Leaving for Chancellery; Father Keth, Lauria Ambermantle and Pippa.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 08:08 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Goodbyes, Hellos, and the Journey between
right-aligned image

Owain didn't think he'd ever get used to being waited on the way these quiet, hospitable gnomes had been taking care of them but, he was thankful for it. They'd found more than they expected upon climbing through that window upstairs and were still learning more about this blighted town and the forces that still sought to prey upon what little life remained. He felt instantly protective of these small resilient folk and immensely proud of the reverence they held for his father. Underneath those warm feelings, there was a bubbling excitement like a kettle on the fire, rattling its lid. His Da was near!

Everyone seemed to settle into his excitement as well, the kitchen was soon bustling like it must have once before the rot settled into Blaud Hill. This was when he noticed how the gnomes took to Tambovsky and, despite their friendliness, seemed to shy away from the rest of them. Well, they'd no doubt been through a lot and Tambovsky did have a way of setting others at ease.

Owain smiled warmly back at the young doe-eyed gnome and asked, "Have you seen her falcon? Oh, what a beautifully majestic creature straight out of legend. I'm just glad those women are on our side. I'm sure they would like to meet you, as well. I know not if they're at the Chancellery presently, but that is where we all sleep. You'd be welcome there, friend." A hot wave of anger crept up his neck and colored his cheeks when she told him about the Iron Fangs and who they serve. "Slavers," the word practically dripped with contempt as it slipped through his teeth, "then I'm glad we didn't work with them but to trade insults. Too bad Plomfleet slipped their grasp, he would've made better bait than a mayor." He added Baron Hugarn to a mental list.

When Lauria handed him the wand, Owain noticed it was hawthorn and thought that somewhat auspicious. The fairy tree, a sacred gateway both magical and medicinal. His hand tingled at the touch of its power before a cool peace settled over him. It felt like being home, in the mountains. He could almost see the snowflakes alighting upon his sister's eyelashes and melting away as their laughter turned to clouds and then he was back in the ruined kitchen. "Thank you, Lauria, this will no doubt help us return safely with tales to tell." He tucked it away in his boot and watched as everyone made ready to depart.

Before he stood up to leave, Owain looked the young gnome in her big eyes and said, "And I, Owain ap Gwalchmei, am glad to have you guiding us Omlin." To Glim and the rest of the gnomes he added, "I won't forget your kindness."

Mechanics & Stats

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 10:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage
And with that the gnomes left her alone for a moment. Out of the corner of her eye she'd noticed the hustle and bustle of the gnomes in the kitchen, but now looking up and around she really appreciated the scope of what was going on. Are we going somewhere? Can't leave without taking all the stuff. She glanced in the direction of the dead Yuan-Ti body upstairs, or at least where she thought it was in relation to where she was. Guess she could ask some gnomes to fetch it, but that snake would have them for breakfast. When did I become so stubborn? She could never really let go of an idea. Probably why she did what she did. If she saw something, she needed to have it. It was an urge, a compulsion, like breathing. She shrugged as she gathered all the collected things from the kitchen and finally dragged them towards Owain and Tambovsky, finally reunited with the duo. With a huff and a puff she dumped the backpacks and bags at their feet, then straightened up and beamed a smile.

"We going somewhere?" she asked. "Because it certainly looks like we're going somewhere. Anywhere interesting?" She looked around once more at all the preparations around her. "Am I invited?" she asked, almost sheepishly. "Not that I'm looking for trouble and I don't really know what's going on. Somebody will have to explain it to me. The gnomes told me nothing. But the places you're dragging me certainly are interesting." And they have lots and lots of stuff! She beamed at the duo again. "I would like the check out these tunnels. They sound interesting. I've always had a rather peculiar penchant for tunnels. Never really understood it. I guess it comes with who I am." She shrugged again. "On a side note, I did gather all this stuff. Not sure what to do with it. Seems a waste to leave it here and probably too heavy to take along. Back to the Chancellery? There is still that dead snake body upstairs. Could use a little help with that snake... Just looking for clues, you know. To make sense of it all. One minute in chains, the next asleep and then in a maelstrom of activity." She finally paused to reflect, taking a audible deep breath. "Life if funny, ain't it?"

Statblock

Old Jan 21st, 2024, 01:03 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 76289
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Tambovsky, Human Fighter
right-aligned image

"I would tell you where we are going, my respected quartermaster Pushpin, but I'll be a chattering chipmunk before I could say the name properly," Tambovsky shrugs. "We've learned Owain's father--Glemchasomethingsomething--is in a neighboring woods. Apparently he fought a great battle and is recovering--so we will go to his side, and perhaps learn more about this place from him. Although...every time we learn something about Blaud Hill, it is simply that the devil has another line of fiends to add to his rolecall of enemies before us."

He looks at the piles that Sylvana has gathered ... and realizes all the troop leaders he has ever known would kill to have even an entire regiment as efficient in fleecing down a defeated enemy.

"As for the provisions you have gathered, I would suggest bundling them up in a sheet or cloth--there should be some in this kitchen, and attaching a note on them: For direct and personal delivery to Bauman, being an assortment of various shoes and footwear obtained on our most recent expedition to provide you with specimens for study and inspection in the goal of furthering the most interesting esoteria of cobbler-ology. That would probably be enough to keep others from any desire to go through your items ... but, here," he adds as he removes the shoes from the bodies of the orcs before the gnomes magically or otherwise dispose of them. "We probably should add some real shoes into the bags so that Bauman is not too upset. By the way ... Master Glim! Do you by chance have any old shoes you could gift us in memory of our meeting?"

If Sylana wishes to bag up he goods and send them back with the procession going through the tunnels carrying Father Keth back to Chancellery, then Tambovsky is more than willing to help. Once done, he will turn back to Owain as he prepares to follow the gnomes into the woods.

"So ... what should we know about your father? How do we address him?"

Last edited by bananabadger; Jan 21st, 2024 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 11:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
AllMaster Glim does have spare shoes, bags and boxes and sacks of them. He whistles out and soon several gnomes bring them, leave, and return with more until there seven pillow case sized bags, four boxes, and nine potato sacks stuffed full with shoes, shirts, hats and elegant lady's gloves. They all look to belong to either humans, elves, or half elves. Glim stands with his hands on his hips, looking over the pile, This stuff we gathered from some of the empty houses and shops in the neighborhood. Most of these people simply walked away or vanished in the night. Most distressing to find that out. I am not sure if the Marquis had set the charm or something or someone else, but it only seemed to effect humans and half elves for the most part. There were a few dwarves, but Plomfleet and the Black Nails killed them. At least we think that is what happened. Owain and Tambovksy have both fought Black Nail hobgoblins. The creatures were organized and wore chain shirts and thicken leather, usually made of boar hide rather than chainmail. They also fought with Bardiche's and short swords, rather than long swords and axes like many other hobgoblin bands. Most of their armor was a dark, blood brown color. Stories say the Black Nails soak their gear in the blood of their enemies before considering it fit to wear.

Sylana and Tambovsky are talking about what to do with the "stuff," when a small, but sturdily built gnome with brown doe like eyes comes up to the holding a couple of scarves for them to take, Hello, I am Omlin, she says in a very soft, but easily heard and understood voice. I am here to guide you to the glade where Gwalchmei rests. You will need these scarves to cover your eyes if Niela is there. Niela is a Nymph, the glade is her home and she can be a bit prickly at times. She is not fond of strangers. She is a true Nymph though, seeing her face, her astounding beauty has killed some men and driven others mad. I think she is more terrifying than beautiful, but mostly decent. Kind of like the angels of the Saints or the Saints themselves. Omlin leaves them two green scarves and then hands one to Lady Danicea, who holds it up and gives Tambovsky a questioning look. Omlin makes her way over to Owain and hands one to him before taking his hand and pulling/leading him out of the kitchen and down a short hall just off the common room.

Omlin waits for them all to gather and Phettle and Turley soon join them. Turley is quiet and tense. Phettle is anxious with anticipation. Here are a couple of "Burn rocks," for everybody. In case the Ettercaps web you and you have to burn your way out. They ignite with just a bit of rubbing so be careful not to set yourself on fire. At least not by accident anyway. He smiles as he hands out the rocks. Phettle is about to tell a story when Omlin motions him to silence, nods at the rest and pulls up two large tiles on the floor revealing a normal human size hatch. Sylana, Lady Danicea and the gnomes will have not trouble getting through. Owain and Tambovsky have a tight squeeze due to their shoulders and chests but manage to wiggle through.
They land in a narrow tunnel only five feet high. Phettle takes the lead and they march quickly for almost an hour. Phettle stops several times, listening and touching the walls with the tips of his fingers before moving on. Tunnel widens by two feet and they come to half door that Omlin touches. The door turns a dim blue and she breathes in relief and pulls it open. This door doesn't swing, it slides open, revealing a large fifty by seventy feet by seventy feet room with two sets of wide stone steps, one going up and one going down. Just out of their torch light they see armored suits standy at ready and several stone statues that look like Firbolgs in ancient Celtic Armor. Omlin creeps across the room, making no sound. She reaches the top of the down stairs and looks over the railing. She waits several moments before signaling for the others to join her. Once they get together, Phettle starts down, motioning for Tambovsky or Owain to join him in the lead. The stone steps are worn smooth but have no cracks. Tambovsky and Owain both slip a couple of times on patches of ice and Sylana notices several places where someone cleverly brushed slippery oil on the stairs. She also notices things like a foot locker, two small jewelry caskets and several torn back packs laying about like they were discarded in a rush.
They pass several landings as they continue to go down and down and down. Two of the landings have closed doors with strange sigils engraved on them. Those landings felt unnaturally cold to everyone and Lady Danicea whispered, There are undead behind those doors. Should we open and attack? Omlin stopped, her eyes growing wide and her small ears bending forward as she silently shushed Lady Danicea. Phettle puts his sword in his mouth like a pirate and pulls a flask of oil from his pouch. Turley steps away, getting behind Tambosky, the largest and most heavily looking armored person in the party. Omlin looks at them, clearly letting them decide what to do, but not wanting to open the doors.
Sylana understands why. She hears heavy shuffling behind one of the doors and the definite sound of someone, or something winding a crossbow. Even though the landing is cold enough for her to see her breath, she starts to sweat. She hears at least five different things walking or shuffling behind the door.

OOC-All party members roll for perception and SA Dex and Str, DC 8. Party Members: Owain, Sylana, Tambovksy, Lady Danicea, Turley Silversteen, Omlin, Phettle, and Turely. Leaving for Chancellery; Father Keth, Lauria Ambermantle and Pippa.
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 03:06 PM

Tools
User Statistics
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Tambovsky, Human Fighter
right-aligned image

"Master Glim," Tambovsky asks, after seeing and gratefully acknowledging the abundance of shoes, about tale of the residents and the Black Nails. "What was this charm? Is it still in effect?"

Thanking Omlin as he takes the scarf, Tambovsky ties it around his neck so that he can quickly pull it over his eyes when the time arises. He nods when Lady Danicea gives him a questioning look and responds: "I think the gnomes know best in this situation. If they had evil plans for us, they would have already poisoned us with their mushroom ale or buried us in an expanse of footwear."

As they move through the tunnel, Tambovsky looks to Sylana and Owain for guidance--Sylana because she probably hears and notices better than all the rest, and Owain to see if he considers this battle worth the group's time in delaying the journey to his father. Lady Danicea, he knows, is eager to fight the undead. If fighting they choose, his sword is read.

Last edited by bananabadger; Feb 3rd, 2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 12:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
With a forlorn and longing look at the bundled goodies, now mostly shoes and other worn items, Sylana sighed and then followed after Phettle into the tunnels. "It's a good idea, Tambovsky. Worth a try." What am I doing going to the aid of Owain's father when all that loot would keep me happy for a very long time? Well, at least until I see something else I want. She mused once more about how much she'd changed as she gingerly crept through the tunnels, her eyes and ears on alert. The scattered items all over the place did not go unnoticed but she reigned in her baser impulses on the assumption that the gnomes or somebody else had picked the containers clean. That and the fact this these tunnels were clearly manned by whatever was putting oil everywhere. That meant anything out of the ordinary could be a trap. She needed to stay on the straight and narrow for now. Literally and figuratively.

As they descended further into the darkness Sylana was happy she'd not decided to escape into these tunnels on her own. As much as she trusted her guile and the agility of her fingers, the cold death of this place blanketed it in deep sorrow and unbridled danger. She had always been a calculating gal, despite appearances. Take the chance, but make sure that the chance is worth the risk and the danger. They stopped on the landing, the cold permeating her bones. "Only reason for someone to load a crossbow like that," she said through clattering teeth, "is if they know we're here. Which means, if we leave, they could come up behind us. Not a fan of fight one can avoid, but do we want to risk a battle from the front and the rear?"

Her brow creased in the usual contemplative manner. "Don't know much about runes and things like that, but perhaps they keep the creatures contained? Can we bar the door in some way? Or we can trap the landing to give us a head start. I have pitons, ball bearings..." She could try and put some pitons into the door to block it from opening, or ball bearings all over the landing. "Truth is, don't want wants behind this door. Gives me the creeps. My vote is to keep moving and leave this place with a reminder to not follow us."

OOC

Statblock

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 07:53 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
The old stone tunnels
right-aligned image

Owain thanked Phettle for the burn-rock and tucked it away somewhere it would be safe from unnecessary jostling but also easy to slip out into a hand in a hurry. He nodded along with Tambovsky's assessment and tied one of Omlin's scarves around his forehead, just under the boar helm, so it would be easy to pull over his eyes. It also looked particularly dashing there. Then it was time to slip down into the hidden road beneath Blaud Hill.

The dark passageways reminded him of burial cairns in their stoic silence. He stepped softly and tried to avoid touching any of the cast-off gear or old mouldering furniture and accouterments from a much older and livelier time for this derelict old town. When they reached the door that softly glowed to Omlin's touch, Owain was awed but not necessarily surprised. These gnomes were survivors. The door must've had some incantation to warn of possible threats, or simply to mark a safe passage. The statues standing vigil in the next room reminded him of home, seemed serendipitous to find them whilst on the way to see his Da.

It seemed like they marched on and just below the world. Owain wondered how deep underground they really were and exactly how long ago they left Blaud Hill behind. But eventually, they did manage to cross paths with something. He looked at the odd sigils on the doors where the corridor grew unnaturally cooler, then to their guides, and finally to Lady Danicea. Whatever this was would slow them down.

"I don't think our escort signed up for extermination but, I do agree it'd be better to face a potential threat now rather than somewhere down the line if they decide to follow," he whispered his thinking to everyone and then turned to Omlin. "Those markings carved in the door, are they wards or seals to keep them shut? What's on the other side? Tunnels that can intersect our path ahead or contained rooms?" His hand instinctually went to his sword as he studied the doors. "If they're trapped, we can always return. I'm sure whoever it is won't mind the wait. I am keen on blocking the doors and leaving behind annoyances." That'd be something to remember on the way back through. "But, if our Lady must vanquish, then I am ready," he shrugged and nodded at Lady Danicea. Ultimately, if she wanted to open the doors, they would.

Mechanics & Stats

Old Feb 18th, 2024, 10:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
AllThankfully Tambovsky, the charm is gone. Whatever it was and whoever cast it, it is now gone, says Glim before waving goodbye.
------------
Tambovsky looks to Sylana. Standing in the chill room, he feels the unnatural cold seeping from the door into the very pores of his skin. There is a magic to it. What kind, Tambovsky doesn't know, but it is certainly magic of a sort. Gripping his sword, his hand warms from the blade and his skin tingles with change. If he goes through the door, his runes want him to fight in giant size.
Sylana stands next to Tambovsky, holding off the shivers and looking over the door, the steps going down and the steps they just came from. She mentions setting a trap and her ball bearings. Turley smiles at her and walks over, pulling out a small handful of caltrops from his pouch. I can add these to the ball bearings. That should slow them some give us a warning of their coming. I don't want to fight undead and I really don't want to fight undead here. The noise alone will certainly attract orcs and maybe a troll. Turley visibly shivers at that thought.

Turley's mention of the Troll reminds Owain of the troll at the bridge feasting on the goblins. Lady Danicea's small smile tells him she is remembering the same. Lady Danicea taps the hilt of her sword and slowly draws her blade. The steel glows a dim blue and emits a small warmth in the growing cold. Two blue sapphires on the hilt catch Sylana's eye. Sylana had not seen those before. This is the first time she has seen Lady Danicea's sword up close. Looking up at Lady Danicea, Sylana sees she also wears a pearl necklace. The pearls shine and glimmer in the dark. Sylana knows these are deep water pearls and not freshwater ones. Deep water pearls are the most rare and valuable.

Owain, drops to one knee so he speaks to Omlin face to face. He points at the door and immediately feels a sensation like ants crawling up his arm. The necromantic magic seeps up to his shoulder and stops there, blocked by his helm. The fingers of his pointing hand momentarily go numb. He clenches his fist and shakes it off. They all hear a low, gravelly laughter come from behind the door followed by a hollow sounding voice, Soon, the Hunter's Moon will pass and you will no longer hide behind its glow. Several other eerily hollow voices laugh and the shuffling grows louder. Omlin steps away before realizing she had done it. She stops and wipes the fear sweat from her forehead. She stares at the door as she speaks, Those doors are warded. Mirren blocked them in an attempt to trap whatever lies beyond. We can go through the door this way, but only the living can return. The living and those untouched by the dead, I mean. Omlin puts her small hand on Owain's shoulder and turns to him, fear radiating off her, I will go with you through those doors if you wish, but I don't think it is the wisest choice for us right now. Any noise we make will attack others to this place and the two front fight you fear, will surely come to pass. I think Sylana has the best plan, lay out a trap and leave.

OOC-Party Members: Owain, Sylana, Tambovksy, Lady Danicea, Turley Silversteen, Omlin, Phettle, and Turley.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 03:07 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Tambovsky, Human Fighter
right-aligned image

Tambovsky knows he is caught between a zealot and a hard place.

On one hand, military strategy and the direction the gnomes have clearly given would indicate that the smartest thing to do would be to allow the holy wards to continue doing their job and leave the undead deep within their own company.

On the other hand, when you travel with a holy warrior and scion of a legendary family of heroes ... well, there are some fights you cannot avoid.

Hopefully, he can find a compromise ...

"My Lady," he whispers to Danicea, "you only need to hear the undead to turn them, do you not? And clearly we hear foul things beyond those walls. Purge them, if you will, with your holy light ... let the radiance seep through the soil and burn into their foul bodies, striking fear and extracting reverence from within them. While they cower, we will continue our pilgrimage to Owain's father, receive the blessing of his resting spot, and then return here to fully vanquish these blights."

But if she doesn't agree, he draws his sword to fight.

Last edited by bananabadger; Feb 24th, 2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Good idea, Turls," Sylana whispered with a wink and pull of her mouth before rummaging and removing her own ball bearings. "I think, between us small folk, we should just make this decision before the bigger ones think their virtues are more important than the lives of those around them. You know what I'm saying?" She started to carefully distribute the ball bearings on the floor in front of the door, careful not to get too close to the door. Each ball bearing felt smooth in her hands, though some were definitely rougher than others. Some blacksmith somewhere needed to learn to do these properly. She'd gone about halfway with Turley in distributing their deterrent when she noticed the faint blue glow coming from behind her.

She glanced behind her, quickly at first, and then back to to the work at hand. It's only Lady Danicea. Like she's gonna walk over these ball bearings and caltrops. Her mind took a few moments to register what she'd seen. She turned back. There is was. From an early age she knew she was different, like she had some obsession, an itch on her brain that she couldn't scratch. This felt the same, but different. That obsession rising within her, an urge that she couldn't resist. That she didn't want to resist. She blinked in the pale blue light of Lady Danicea's sword and the reflections danced off the shiny, white pearls of the lady's necklace. The pattern felt like a cure, the very sight of the swirling and dancing light curing the incessant itch in her mind. Now that's a thing of beauty. How come I'd not seen it before?

She shifted her weight in an instant, trying to get a better look at the pearls. Already her mind was calculating how she could get it off, where the clasp was, how easy it would be to get away with it. She wanted those lights. She needed those pearls. Her obsession darkened, starting to feel uncomfortable. She shifted again, dropping a ball bearing with a clink on the stone floor. Definitely wasn't as smooth as those pearls. Those pearls would be like a stones caressed by the sea over centuries. So smooth. Beautifully smooth. Her eyes were entranced, and she felt a sense of urgency rise in her stomach, like bile about to spew forth. It started to hurt a little, but Sylana didn't mind. Once more she shifted, this time a little closer. The discomfort increased, and the itch in her mind started to crawl and move. Like a centipede going for a cranial stroll.

She blinked. Stood up. Moved. What the...? Her mind froze suddenly, as some part of her realised that the obsession, the vile discomfort, the thorns crawling in her mind, weren't from her. Her touch was not so harsh. So full of violence. "Whoa," she blurted softly, releasing her breath that she didn't realise she was holding. She looked back at the door, her senses aching but restored. She growled at the door, "Not cool, man... thing... undead, dead man-thing... creature-thing...". Then she promptly rolled the rest of the ball-bearings over the floor and started down the corridor. "We need to move. Now. I've had enough whammies for one day, and that one I'd rather not have again. Nor would any of you. I certainly do not want to wrestle any of you away from your baser compulsions." She stared at the door and then her allies, suddenly quite forceful. "Get. Away. From. That. Door. We move, now." Without waiting and certainly not caring if anybody tried to get at the door, she stomped down the stairs.

Statblock

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:08 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Tambovsky, Human Fighter
right-aligned image

"Well, we follow the hobbit," Tambovsky says with a shrug, looking at Owain, setting off down the stairs after Pushpin, and hoping Lady Danicea will do likewise.

Old Mar 7th, 2024, 08:01 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
To be on our merry way once again
right-aligned image

Owain nodded to Omlin and said, "I know you would follow me, but I am here to follow you, friend. I trust your judgment in these dark places." He stood and tried to shake the cold, clammy itch off. "Laugh while you can hollow ones and cling to your unlife for we've more important business than the likes of you. Come when the moon fades if you will; playing with fire will eventually turn bitterchwarae troi'n chwerw, wrth chwarae gyda thân."

The Welshman turned away from the door and put a hand on Danicea's shoulder. "My Lady, you know I will fight, bleed, and die by your side but these little ones did not volunteer for that job." Quieter, he added, "They're scared, and we've lost enough already this day." Owain looked into her eyes, they shined in the dark with the blue glow of her sword and she was beautiful. "We can always come back and finish these hollow things, the wards will hold or they'd be upon us already. After we find my Da, we can bring Dame Almira and run through the foul darkness locked away in these tunnels. Come, the undead have time to wait."

Sylana was already moving on after depositing her ball bearings amongst Turly's caltrops. "Aye," he nodded to Tambovsky, "we follow." Owain smiled at Lady Danicea again and turned to watch his step amongst the small traps.

Mechanics & Stats