Other Forbidden Lands: A hexcrawl for folks new to the system - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 10th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3054
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Game and style sounds interesting. No experience with this system which is one of the draws for me to apply.

Application
What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be?
A Wolfkin Minstrel was my first thought. While his kin may call him weak and soft for his choice to share his music and stories, he knows he is no pup. He travels the wilds with little but his wit and luck to stay alive, keep them alive. He has no pack, only himself to rely on. Sure Let them keep to the forests trying to recapture that lineage they are so proud of. He needed no pack, no shelter. Just his stories and songs, an occasionally deft hand to take what was needed – surely that butcher could have spared one chicken without making such a fuss – and a good knife to carve himself a new flute now and again. The world was his to explore and that took courage.

How do you like to inject personality into a PC? Via elaborate backstories? Quirkiness or cuteness? With detailed mannerisms or strange use of language? Or something else?
I like to add flaws and challenges to who they are. In the case of my Wolven Minstral, a violent temper that he keeps buried but which comes out when he feels his talent is not appreciated. A quick fit of snarling, gnashing fangs and snapping his flute in pieces and then its over. Enough to scare an audience member or to put him in a difficult position – that time the guildmaster’s daughter cried almost earned him a trip to the gallows – but rarely anything more than that. Adding complications is that the character will have to deal with are also something I enjoy. In this example maybe being mistrustful of others of his kind based on his life view. I prefer that a character lives their personality versus it being in a crafted backstory. I prefer coming up with some building block elements to work from over a detailed backstory. Find it allows more flexibility in game and opportunities for the GM to play with too. In a PBP game using language as a personality trait fits really well and adds more depth.

Are you happy to commit to a game which though combat-lite, can be quite brutal and unforgiving when things get "real"?
I prefer this. Actions having consequences and making a player think of what their character would really do in a situation.

What lured you into reading this rather long game advert, and choosing to reply?
I don’t know the system and enjoy trying out systems I don’t know. I love a good hexcrawl that has a feel of exploring and being able to engage in the environment and what is discovered. The idea of being able to make own choices that can shape the land is fun. As a game master (who has actually just emded running a RL hexcrawl game) being able to be a player in a game like this is enticing.

Is there a piece of IC writing on this site that you'd like to share with us, to show your style?

Links to post as player:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...54#post9402754
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...60#post9432060

Link to GM Post of game I’m running:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...32#post9558732
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...39#post9586239

What's your general availability to post looking like?
Posting once or twice a week is my sweet spot. Posting more in periods of action is usually not too challenging for me.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8118
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
@Palliven FL is another game derived from MYZ, your experience with Cthulu-0 will not be wasted

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3054
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuedenim View Post
@Palliven FL is another game derived from MYZ, your experience with Cthulu-0 will not be wasted
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 11:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9214
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Many big thank yous to everyone who has shown interest in joining the festivities!

That's four now, so I think it is time to close the recruitment window. I'll be in touch, if I haven't already reached out to you all. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and show interest!

Palliven, writelite, smeowlin, Aegis
Scum and Villainy

Last edited by 97mg; Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Player Four has Entered

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1432
Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis
For sure! Thanks for the opportunity.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi folks!

I've just sent a PM to Palliven, smeowlin and Aegis so we can jump into a thread and do some brainstorming / setup stuff :-)

writelite is communicating with me at the moment too.

Cheers!
Scum and Villainy
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 02:33 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hello everyone!

We have space for two new recruits, and the first post in the thread had been updated to reflect this
Scum and Villainy

Last edited by 97mg; Apr 19th, 2023 at 02:39 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 05:28 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 551
ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry
Hi,

I've had Forbidden Lands for several years now, and back then I read almost everything and studied the map in detail. However, not much remains in my cob-webbed mind of it. Is it ok if I apply?
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1011
Woland Woland Woland Woland Woland Woland Woland Woland
What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be? The group with the vacancy currently has a rogue and a sorceror.

A: I'm kind of flexible; if the group needs a bit more muscle, I'm happy to run a hunter or a fighter. Perhaps the hunter is a messenger that travels between small settlements (nothing too crazy distance-wise). Or maybe a minstrel that is working for some powerful lord or lady, and is the propaganda arm for them, spreading tales of their great deeds and power and benevolence. That could be fun too.

How do you like to inject personality into a PC? Via elaborate backstories? Quirkiness or cuteness? With detailed mannerisms or strange use of language? Or something else?

A: I like to start from character art and go from there. I generally prefer normal(ish) grounded people over too fantastical elements-keeps them more relatable. So I also generally stay away from too much quirk or cuteness. Mostly I like to inject personality in-game through flashbacks and pieces of introspection, esp. if triggered by an in-game stimulus. Also, internal conflicts are always nice for exploration of values & beliefs.

Are you happy to commit to a game which though combat-lite, can be quite brutal and unforgiving when things get "real"?

A: Yes. I like grounded games, and my favorite systems tend towards the grounded (though not necessarily grimdark or horror). I like the attitude of combat being the worst option & a thing of last resort.

What lured you into reading this rather long game advert, and choosing to reply?

A: Forbidden Lands has been on my radar for a while. I am curious about how it does sandbox. I've heard nothing but praise from people I like and respect. The game premise seems interesting, and the game must be healthy to have been running for so long. I was actually tempted to apply the first time around, but my schedule has only recently cleared. I am familiar with you and your writing style from a game off-site (it was Shadows of Esteren, you were playing Liam and I was playing Yldiane, the game lasted for almost a year but eventually died at the climactic end battle). I enjoyed your writing!

Is there a piece of IC writing on this site that you'd like to share with us, to show your style?

A: I do most of my gaming off-site. I am happy to send a sample upon request via PM. If you remember the Esteren game, you probably will have a good idea of how I write.

A: I can commit to once a week; if the game really captures me, more will not be a problem.

Last edited by Woland; Apr 19th, 2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdentTapestry View Post
I've had Forbidden Lands for several years now, and back then I read almost everything and studied the map in detail. However, not much remains in my cob-webbed mind of it. Is it ok if I apply?
Hi ArdentTapestry! If you're not too familiar with the map anymore it should be fine. I'm actually moving things around on it a bit too, just in case anyone has had a sneaky peak and thinks they know where the next adventure site might be hehe. A vague, or even good knowledge of the rules wouldn't hurt either. I enjoy helping people learn the game, and there is no harm in a player who already has some rules knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Forbidden Lands has been on my radar for a while. I am curious about how it does sandbox. I've heard nothing but praise from people I like and respect. The game premise seems interesting, and the game must be healthy to have been running for so long. I was actually tempted to apply the first time around, but my schedule has only recently cleared. I am familiar with you and your writing style from a game off-site (it was Shadows of Esteren, you were playing Liam and I was playing Yldiane, the game lasted for almost a year but eventually died at the climactic end battle). I enjoyed your writing!
Hi Woland! OMG how could I forget Yldiane The adventurous redhead who captured Liam's heart, though he never really got to show it. I often wonder if our characters made it out of that cave, alive XD. I'll send you a PM shortly
Scum and Villainy
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 03:05 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry ArdentTapestry
What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be?

I've never played a druid, and though I like the idea of an elf, in this setting they mostly hate others, so I'd go with a half-elf. Someone who is sympathetic towards others, but still sees the world through a survival-of-the-fittest filter. She likes nature, but not antagonistic towards civilization, just prefers the wilds and wants to keep the balance.

I like coming up with interesting backstories for my characters, but detailed mannerisms is exactly my way to go, and act+say+think posts.

I've never been in a game like that, and would be happy to get a taste.

Hexploration!!! And I really like the setting.

Basically anything from here, which is the public game thread of my Delta Green game. As you can see, I tend towards succint but more frequent posts as a GM.

I can post quite frequently, 4-5 times a week is fine, but in the game I'm gm'ing, I'm getting used to the slow pace of pbp.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 06:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale
How long do I have to submit an app? I started playing in another hexcrawl game but it sadly died too soon, so I'm interested in this one, although I know nothing about the system.
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 04:38 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale Thebardstale
Nevermind my previous question, lol.
ApplicationWhat kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be?
I know next to nothing about the game system and only so much about the lore. Given that, Im back and forth between a fighter and a sorcerer. For the fighter Im thinking someone who wants to explore the land and maybe even carve a piece of it for herself, so shed be out to make friends rather than kill stuff. For the sorcerer Im thinking maybe one who wants to uncover the secrets of the blood mist and those left behind by it.

I usually come up with a basic idea, like those I wrote above, then I usually browse through some artwork for inspiration and then, when it hits me, I get to writing the backstory. As I write the backstory I start to get a feel (a basic framework if you will) of how they act and react and what their character is like some virtues and flaws make themselves apparent in the backstory. I may dive deeper if I feel they need a little more personality, but I generally stop at this point and leave room for the story to further develop a character.

Having high stakes is both thrilling and terrifying at the same time, Im good with that.

You wrote hexcrawl in the title, thats it. Seriously, Ive been meaning to play an open world exploration game for a while now and this sounds like it'll be a lot of fun on top of that.

Sure, although Im rather new here myself, you can look at my posts in this thread.

Im able to post twice a week in general, less than that on work-heavy weeks, but at least once a week is guaranteed.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi ArdentTapestry and Thebardstale!

I haven't forgotten you and will be in touch! Just got my thinking cap on about how to get a few more PCs into the story

Actually... I have a cunning plan... just need to let it simmer in my noggin a little longer hehe.
Scum and Villainy
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 12:58 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
All good, looking forward to what comes out of that thinking cap