Other Forbidden Lands: A hexcrawl for folks new to the system - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:19 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 354
Cadia Cadia Cadia Cadia
I may be too late, but this game has caught my eye. Hopefully you don't mind a RPX newbie popping into the thread. ((I'm also on mobile rn, and it is not liking this text editor. I'm trying to catch all the weirdness and typos, but please give me some grace, lol.))

What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory?
A minstrel would be exceedingly fun to toss into the Unknown. There's so much potential for stories and wonder!

How do you like to inject personality into a PC? Via elaborate backstories? Quirkiness or cuteness? With detailed mannerisms or strange use of language? Or something else?
While not always human, I try to make my characters as relatable as possible. I make sure to give them flaws, strengths, goals, and regrets. Once they are created, they are able to provide their own input from that point onward. I suppose you can say that I am a gardener when it comes to my characters and their stories.

Are you happy to commit to a game which though combat-lite, can be quite brutal and unforgiving when things get "real"?
Absolutely 100%. Is it bad or weird to say that it's something I live for? In a way, these games are my therapy and I have no shame in that. My IRL games are often spent roleplaying those "real" moments and lead to incredible emotions and growth from the characters and players.

What lured you into reading this rather long game advert, and choosing to reply?
I just joined RPX so I have been browsing the various threads to try and get a feel for the site. I have opened this particular thread several times because FL is completely new to me. Finally I sat down to read the OP in its entirety and fell in love with the entire premise. To be honest, when you said that you love Domestic Drama, I immediately felt like this was the group for me. I am a little nervous to be posting this because I am so new, but I figure the worst you can say is no and I can try again next time!

Is there a piece of IC writing on this site that you'd like to share with us, to show your style?
Not yet, but I do have this small snippet I wrote for my current Shattered Star IRL group. We give each other prompts and write short blurbs for our characters. This small prompt was "Describe your character waking up in the morning." For context, the players had just learned of the death of Vesna's fiance - something Vesna has yet to fully process three years later.

What's your general availability to post looking like?
I can several times a week - including once a day if needed.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9214
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Thebardstale

ArdentTapestry

Cadia

Thank you for your replies! I've set us up a private thread to work together on how to get some fresh and shiny new PCs into the story..

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...94#post9686194

Hop on in!
Scum and Villainy
Old May 12th, 2023, 09:57 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 236
silifi silifi silifi
Hi! I'm wondering if this is still open for applications. It looks interesting and I'd love to try it if so.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Green Leaf Bowl
Hi there! Any chanse for an opening in this game? Would love to play some Forbidden Lands. Take care :-)
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 11:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi folks!

We have a few open slots if anyone is interested in popping in an application :-)
Scum and Villainy
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 12:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4504
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
might bang out a wolfkin rider

could i ask for help with the sheet?

claw,adult wolfkin rider

strength 4
agility 5
wits 3
empathy 2

Endurance 2
Melee 2
might 1
move 1
Marksmanship 2
Survival 1
Animal Handling 1

HUNTING INSTINCTS
The wolfkin have a powerful sense of smell
and can track their prey for days once they have
caught their scent. You can spend Willpower
Points to designate a person or a creature as your
prey. Your prey must be within line of sight, or
there must be a scent to follow. The number of
WP you spend equals the number of days that you
can follow your prey’s scent. In combat, all your
attacks against your prey get a +1 bonus per WP
spent, until the creature is Broken or until you
choose to let your prey go.

path of the companion RANK 1: If you spend a Willpower Point
when you are Broken (see page 107), your
horse will stay by your side and defend you.
The horse will attack any opponents that
attempt to attack or move you.

cold blooded rank 1: You can perform a COUP DE GRACE
(see page 108) without needing to roll dice.

horseback fighter RANK 1: You can fire a short bow or sling
from a mount.

Last edited by Hotshot lasgun; Sep 28th, 2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 02:54 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2023

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6385
squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey
Whoa! I'm interested in this! I've been wanting to get some more classic adventuring stuff into my lineup... and have some new availability too

What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be? The group with the vacancy currently has a rogue and a sorceror.

What stands out to me immediately is the idea of playing a Druid. I love the idea of like a really witchy omen-reader type who's constantly looking for portents in the flight of a raven and in the blooming of spring's flowers. But I also have to admit that there's something tempting about going with a Fighter, as it's such a staple of this kind of fantasy.

How do you like to inject personality into a PC? Via elaborate backstories? Quirkiness or cuteness? With detailed mannerisms or strange use of language? Or something else?

You've seen how I did it with Mikriti, she has one key quirk that informs her. Generally the pattern is to start with a single quirk or game mechanic, develop a backstory around it, and then throw it into play. Usually a few posts in I have a pretty good feel for how I want to play them.

Are you happy to commit to a game which though combat-lite, can be quite brutal and unforgiving when things get "real"?

Yup

What lured you into reading this rather long game advert, and choosing to reply?

I've never played a hex crawl before! And specifically I've been trying to lure my group into playing Forbidden Lands for ages and they're not into it, so the pdf is just languishing on my computer waiting for its moment in the light.

Is there a piece of IC writing on this site that you'd like to share with us, to show your style?

Well, you've seen me write Mikriti, but that game is a lot sillier than the average game. Here are a couple more serious pieces. Thing One - Thing Two

Pretty darn good. I can definitely pull off 1/2 a week if the game is reaching that pace.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 05:02 AM
Beyond the Veil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4335
Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One
Certainly piqued my interest! So here it goes....

What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be? The group with the vacancy currently has a rogue and a sorceror.

A minstrel would be my type of villager, but not the usual all song, dance and charmer. My fella has a persona where he exudes confidence in his skills and abilities and relies on his sharp tongue to get in and out of situations. However, this is all a front as really he has lost his confidence and may prove to be troublesome when in a tight spot. - Essentially this is a character I made for a game a while back, and loved playing him but the game died after a couple of weeks and ive been itching to get back in the fold with him.

I always try and give my characters some sort of flaw in their persona. I find it really dull playing characters who are good at everything or just "a body of text" that has no flavour or personality - saying that, I hope my writing contains this or im gonna look a bit daft! So i add things like social issues (addiction, homeless, rubbed some people up the wrong way) or flaws in character such as motivated by money/love, blackmailed, personality clashes - i try and avoid the old tropes of "family was killed, was abandoned at birth etc. So i guess my characters are more quirky.

Hell yes. Two things. I much refer the narrative story rather than the mechanics of dice rolling, but added to that, i find it boring if i feel "safe" all the time. I want my character to experience true danger and fear of death, otherwise it feels like just going through a process, which seems much more like work than fun.

A few reasons. I GM one game but am not currently in a game as a PC, as I am quite picky when it comes to applying for games. You mentioned you have good writers - this inspires me to write better and interact well with the other players, often giving me cause to put more detail in my posts/replies. I find the interaction exciting. I also like the "freeform" nature of the hexcrawl and almost feels like a "choose your own adventure" game book (I grew up on those Fighting Fantasy books!) andplus i have never played this system before. The site seems to be saturated with DnD (especially 5th Ed) which i am finding a little tiresome, so I am always searching for new and interesting systems to play.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...31#post9516831
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...72#post9539772

Generally can comfortably make 2 posts a week, if im really into a scene, this can be much more.

Last edited by Drifter One; Sep 29th, 2023 at 04:09 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Pygmy Griffin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2041
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW

I would take a Peddler. Sick of trading home-made knick-knacks for a few coppers, living hand-to-mouth, just scraping by. It's a big world out there full of treasures ready for the taking! It'll just take a little risk, with the potential for big reward. The anti-Indiana Jones - belongs in a museum? No no, it belongs in the hands of whoever will pay me the most for it!

I love a good backstory, but I think a PC's personality comes out in the way they talk, the way they act, the way they react, the way they dress and style themselves. I like to be descriptive.

Yep, all good with that.

It's been a long time since I played any TTRPGs, and I'm mostly done with D&D for now, I want to try something new.

Not here, but under the button is the start of the introductory post of a 5e PbP game I ran for a while at DDB.

I can post most weekdays, though I'm GMT/UTC, so I'll be posting at the other end of the day to you!
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Deeply Senile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7114
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory?

Well, if we are all plopped into another dimension/realm like the advert post says, then I suppose it would make sense to play a villager that is trying to figure out what the heck that all means for them.

The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be? The group with the vacancy currently has a rogue and a sorceror.

I wasn't totally sure exactly what language could have been obsolete copy/paste - it seemed like at one point a peddler and a goblin were identified for the existing group and, at another, a rogue and an sorcerer were identified. So, the peddler profession sounds groovy, unless that slot is already taken. Also, I mean, who doesn't love a minstrel? But I am playing a beloved bard in another RPGx game already. I haven't played a brooding, haunted fighter type since returning to RPGs a few years ago yet. So that is tempting. But, honestly, I always end up tweaking my character's personalities somewhat as I figure out the style of game the GM is running. Most characters I make are old and jaded. So maybe I should branch out and play a younger character. But honestly, is there a really a coming-of-age story that doesn't sound just . . . fake? Maybe a young-and-jaded character?

Hmm. Kind of a tough question. I do loves me some tasty mannerisms and backstories. But, on top of that, I'm gonna maybe elicit some well-deserved groans and eye-rolls by saying I try to inject personality into a character by storytelling. Like, I try to imagine what this character could say and do that would make the story as more interesting as I can imagine, and then I have them do and say those things, narrated in a way that I think/hope will enhance it for the reader as much as I can manage.

Hmm. I wish my ex had come with a warning like this. Seems to me, you've been pretty up front about this game having harsh consequences. However bad this fantasy world gets, will it really get as scary and foreboding as the real world? So what's the risk, really? The only time I've left a PBP game was when the GM was way over the top abusive toward players, OOC. Harsh consequences in-game consequences? Sounds fun.

To be honest, it's not that long of an advert, compared to my experience of the RPGx central tendency. That it was different, a "hex crawler", was what caught my eye.

I think my most widely beloved character on RPGx is Ness, of the Village Survival game https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19675. Rotten Bhargda of the Northlands game https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19779 gets good kudos too. Perhaps it's just run away narcissism again, but, I've had so many great post exchanges with players on this forum, that there's really no way I could pick a favorite at this point.

I almost, almost always post in all games at least once a week. Twice a week is pretty common too.

Last edited by PapaHuck; Oct 16th, 2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 09:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Folks!

We're open to new recruits!

If you applied previously and would still like to be considered, let me know.

If you're new, please pop an application below!
Scum and Villainy
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 11:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1014
17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness
• What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be? The group with the vacancy currently has a rogue and a sorceror.

A: I'm not familiar with the game system... could run a Hunter, Fighter or a Druid if that helps the Party... though the Peddler or Minstrel seem novel.

• How do you like to inject personality into a PC? Via elaborate backstories? Quirkiness or cuteness? With detailed mannerisms or strange use of language? Or something else?

A: All of the above when necessary. Quirkiness comes to mind but I can play it straight when needed.

• Are you happy to commit to a game which though combat-lite, can be quite brutal and unforgiving when things get "real"?

A: Drawn to the RP aspect most. Interested in developing ideas and story. Combat's cool too... not afraid to mix it up, though hate to get killed right in the middle of a good adventure.

• What lured you into reading this rather long game advert, and choosing to reply?

A: Looking to try new game systems (I'm most familiar with Pathfinder and 5e). Your approach to writing the intro was inviting. Interested in character over combat, if that makes sense.

• Is there a piece of IC writing on this site that you'd like to share with us, to show your style?

I've run in a few games and try to keep things fresh.

A: Here's a link to Nym's playful exchange with a Dragon.

A: Here's a link to Maximus in a current (Traveller) game running now.

Any of the Posts in those threads show both characters doing their thing.

• What's your general availability to post looking like?

One to two times a week, depending.

(Note: The "link" did not work but I will try and track down the game system as described.)

Thanks for the consideration.

Last edited by 17fromgreatness; Jun 5th, 2024 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 01:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus
This looks really cool. I’ll get in application in soon!
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 01:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1304
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mg View Post
What kind of villager would you like to take out into unexplored territory? The available professions are Druid, Fighter, Hunter, Minstrel, Peddler, Rider, Rogue, Sorcerer... but what would your particular "take" or unique flavor on one of these be?
I'd probably go for a Fighter. Even in "combat-lite" games, I like to know my PC can handle themselves when the occasional fight breaks out. In particular, I'm thinking about a tough orc warrior who's strong and clever, but also relatively green (experience-wise, not just skin ) and awkward.
Quote:
I let the interplay of background, abilities, appearance and personality characterize my PCs: every detail is important and contributes to the cohesive picture I mean to paint.
Quote:
Sure, I've always had a soft spot for "hardcore" games, where you don't just throw yourself at the problems and a healthy dose of planning can make a big difference.
Quote:
I first came across this thread about a year ago, unfortunately it didn't seem to be open for recruitment at the time. Even back then, I was drawn by the simple premise of a classic fantasy adventure focused on exploration.
I'm also interested in trying another Free League game (I'm mainly familiar with the sci-fi Coriolis).
Quote:
Among many I choose the following two (from different games), which I think best illustrate my typical style:
Quote:
About 1 or 2 posts a week should work for me. I'm usually more available to write on the weekend, but I can manage other days too.

Last edited by Cap Ut; Jun 9th, 2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 02:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14063
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
I will try to put something together today. Also got to 17 is a great player. Even if it hurts my own chances, you can't go wrong with his writing.

I got the full rulebook as part of the content I got from backing Alchemy. Will we be using the regular method of creating characters or the Legends & Adventurers pamphlet adventure?

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Jun 9th, 2024 at 02:42 PM.