twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 11th, 2024, 12:48 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31103
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Thanks everyone! PM's have been sent out and the recruiting is closed again unless I really, really, like your application.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 07:34 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Kos Kallah
Oh, no! I lost it!

Well... good game for everybody!
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 01:14 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Kos Kallah
New stance adopted! Here goes my attempt to make you "really, really like" my application!

G'eldriia
Shadow aide to Lady Platin

right-aligned image
Image created by AI (GPT-4/Dall-e 2, editted by Playground v2)

Character
Name: G'eldriia (no last name... she was born a slave)
Race: Drow
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: Rogue (Assassin) 9
Family Rank: Slave (Shadow Aide)

Appearance
One of G'eldriia's most dangerous weapons is her simple and captivating beauty. She has very soft facial lines, deep red eyes, long white hair she keeps braided and a relatively well-built body kept by constant activity and training. G'eldriia is short for a drow, yet not to the point of looking like a child.

When operating inside House Platin premises, she will dress a common slave attire - made of coarse linen - and cheap sandals (always of a type that is quick to remove). When on mission, she will also wear a relatively coarse linen, but with bracers on her forearms and stripes of leather around her ankles (she prefers to operate barefoot), together with a belt where she carries her "tools".

Her back and shoulders are all tattoed and marked with slight burns that make scars, giving the tattoos a dimension of depth. That is a relatively common use in Drow society.

One subtle detail in her appearance is that she has lost the middle toe of her left foot.

Background
Honor has its demands. Moral has its rules. Civility has its laws.

I stand by none.

<her voice is slow and deep, even solemn, but then relaxed...>

How come, if I act so loyally? If you truly wish to know me, you have to understand where I came from, what made me, otherwise you will be lost.

Relax... just lie down, take a sip and I will have it all make sense for you.

I was born of a slave at a house whose name I prefer to forget, and no: I am not the general's daughter. Really! It's just a disguise. <she opens a mischievous smile>

Anyway, life in slavery is harsh and even worse here in Undermountain than anywhere else I've ever heard of. The chores were severe and they had no regard for me being a child. I survived of crumbs and whatever was left of other people's food. I grew up like that... by magic, divine intervention or whatever else I don't care about. I survived to see the day that house would fall.

There was a ruse, you see? Houses keep fighting each other and there is always someone wanting to cut someone else's throat in those big halls you so histerically laugh on. That ruse, though, was not a dispute among equals. "My" house picked a fight with another they found to be far more than a match for them.

One night, when I was just 11, an easy-talking woman came in, offering a trade on fabric. A real wonder and the price was fair! She sold all of it and promised more, partied with all and slept in the house... and then killed the guards and opened the front door. I swear never again did I see so fast an attack! They entered and defeated everyone before the house could assemble anything that could be called a defense.

There was a woman in the back lines, observing everything, directing the fighters. There was something about her... such a strength! Her eyes were like fire! I hid in fear she would look into my soul, but then I looked back! There was something in her I could not stop looking. There was something in her I... I wanted to BE!

After the battle was over, they caught their wounded and the woman went on healing them with magic, while the other fighters started collecting everything they could... including the slaves. I was affraid and, when one of the soldiers - a young woman with a spear loosely pointing down - approached me, I managed to grab a knife from the dinner table and make a deep cut on her leg. The surprise seemed to paralyse the soldier, so I ran and hid the best I could. I knew the house and all its secrets, so I hid well. They spent hours looking for me. Far more than they would if they were just plundering the house. I thought to myself "It's now... they want my life for the foot of the soldier!"

It just happened that one of the soldiers found me by accident, for she slipped in a puddle of blood and fell over the piece of furniture that was covering my hiding place.

I was in a hole and waited for the spear to come to me, but it didn't. Instead, I saw a hand stretched in my direction. A hand and a voice... HER voice! The woman I saw before, the leader of the forces - it was her calling me out of the hole. Gently did she call me a nickname she seemed to have come up with that very moment: "thin blade"... but gentleness can happen before a murder and something told me she had a monstruous power! I could almost feel it!

left-aligned image
Image created by AI (GPT-4/Dall-e 2)

Hey! Slow down with the wine! I want you to hear my story.

Terrified, I slowly left the hole and was ready to be vaporized that very moment... when the woman took my hand and kept on with her duties, directing and organizing the plunder, taking the bodies of the defeated, consolidating her victory. She took me with her all along and I was terrified... and amazed! I always lived to last one more day, but, at that moment, I suddenly had a goal: I wanted to be just like that woman! Nothing in the world would stop me from that! If I had a tenth of that power, not even the gods would dare stand in my way!

Of course, I later came to know she was, indeed, very powerful... but still feared the gods.

When all was done, they left the house and I came to find the soldier I stabbed. She was well and there was only a scar where I placed a deep wound. The woman they always respectfully called "My Lady" released my hand, put me sitting beside the soldier and gave her an order: "You will train this one". My new "mentor" was not very happy with that, but nodded and treated me surprisingly well... but later I would see that the cut I placed on her leg was nothing compared to what "training" meant to that soldier, which happened to be one of the houses trusted captains.

With all the others, I was moved to the house's premises, where I started to live with the rest of the slaves. Those who fitted the ways of the house were incorporated into the workforce, while those more leaning towards their former masters' ways of thinking were freed - which meant they would have to fend for themselves in a society without compassion of any sort. I pity them.

I was a slave only in name, and that word had a completely different meaning to that house. I had my chores, of course, and a very harsh training schedule, but food was abundant, we slept in clean clothing - that we cleaned ourselves, but even that was time spent on our own wellfare - and there was no beating. In no time, I was feeling part of the house. I even made friends and had some time to play with them.

At first, the training was to build my strength and I even had the basics of a short sword, but soon, my mentor observed the way I played with the other kids and suggested to the lady I should be trained for a different role. That is when I started playing hide-and-seek with another woman of the house. She found me all the time and I never seemed to be able to find her and she would always explain why. That was the most fun I ever had in my life, but it did serve a purpose other than amusement. I was training to become something else: a skilled assassin. They call me a "shadow aide": an assassin at the service of my lady.

Yes! I'm dangerous! Be careful around me! <again, the mischievous smile>

As the training proggressed, I kept seeing the lady around the house. She kept calling me "thin blade" and sometimes she would take me by the hand, while she walked around to oversee this or that job that was needed. I kepd looking up to her and even now I still struggle to get closer to the point she is at! I will be just as powerful, she'll see!

Anyway, the "trader" that entered my former house and opened the door for the attack to come was the master of my new mentor and I learned she was the house's chief assassin. Not that they keep killing people for nothing, but there are a few people who really deserve to die and it was her job to make sure they properly did so. I was being trained to assist her.

I kept training and training until the day I turned 100. That was when I received my first real assignment. I should play the role of a buyer in a slave market where a merchant was using some sort of a potion to clean the minds of the slaves. They had blank faces and did not even seem like sentient people. I should enter, behave like a spoined brat, choose the most handsome slave and, secretly, place a knife under table. The knife would be used by one of our assassins, who would certainly be searched before she could see the merchant.

The fact is that I was caught with the knife, imprisoned, tortured - and they even cut one of my toes! But the people of my house did not leave me to die and I was out before the day was over. No one will ever hear of that merchant again and the dreaded potion's recipe was burnt in the fire that accidentally consumed his shop.

Even now, I still proudly serve that house and many a pervert has lost her life by my hands.

So, that is it: that is who I am and why I act as I do. This world is rotten to the core - all except my house. Since they are rotten, I don't care if other people cry or cheer; since life is rotten, I don't care if my orders are to take life or save life... all I want is to be close to those I call friends and to serve the woman I one day will be proud to see as an equal in power!

<she sighs...>

You are not believing a word I say, right? Well, I have two things to tell you: first, everything I said about my life is true and it's not every day I let it slip from my mouth... second, do you see this precious bottle of wine I brought for us to have fun? I did not take a sip from it!

Even after the long story I just told you, I truly believe you still have a few seconds left... to realize why.

The Player
Hi! I'm Kos Kallah! I prefer not to disclose much about myself, but one thing may be obvoius to those who share the same interest: I like anime!

In the story above you will certainly find several elements of a typical anime: the dangerous girl (a side character) who ends up becoming a good and trusted friend of the main character (sometimes even a love interest), despite the fact that she is a... well... dangerous person; the inner quest to get stronger and match the power of the character's hero or father/mother figure; the laidback captain who easily falls in the first scene, but ends up being a bad*ss... many elements, indeed.

I like a lot to write and that is the reason I came to RPG Crossing... well, the other reason is that I did not find too many mature people to play on Discord and heard things here are different (i.e.: more rules-based).

I intend to stay here for a fairly long time (probably those five or more years you asked about, Ysolde), but I solemnly swear I'm up top no good I will never leave without first telling you!

Last edited by Kos Kallah; Jan 13th, 2024 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 08:55 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3818
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
I was going to say I regretfully withdraw my application as it seems I severely overestimated my free time. I won't be able to put in the necessary effort into such a complex game.
However it seems it got resolved in the meantime anyway.
Happy gaming!
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:43 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Hello everyone! Would you like to play a Drow? Good news for you, most of the group headed to the Demon Web Pits has been waylaid and lost. You can help House Platin and ruin the plans of the Spider Queen.

Join a campaign that has been ongoing since December 1st, 2022!
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:57 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1245
Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
Hello everyone! Would you like to play a Drow? Good news for you, most of the group headed to the Demon Web Pits has been waylaid and lost. You can help House Platin and ruin the plans of the Spider Queen.

Join a campaign that has been ongoing since December 1st, 2022!
Same creation rules as the first post?
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:13 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardassian View Post
Same creation rules as the first post?
Yes
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1373
Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89 Nyx89
I do so love me some Drow so...here we go!

right-aligned image

Vaelrin
Name: Vaelrin

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Class: Monk - Way of Shadow

Family Rank: Recently freed slave. He was bought from House Duskryn.

Appearance: Vaelrin is a tall, lanky Drow with light dusky skin, white hair, and hetero-chromatic eyes. One is the blood red of a Lolth-sworn, and the other is a mysterious violet. He has many scars across his body, including on his face, from the violent life he lived before joining House Platin. Many scars cover his back from years of lashings at the hands of his cruel masters. Vaelrin wears simple clothing in either black or shades of grey, the better to blend in with the shadows.

Background: Born into the darkness of the Underdark, Vaelrin was bred by House Duskryn for a singular purpose: to serve as a deadly weapon in their ongoing power struggles. From a young age, he was subjected to rigorous training in the arts of stealth, combat, and subterfuge, becoming a master of fists and shadow. His life was a constant cycle of violence and obedience, knowing only the cold, calculating directives of his masters. The cruelty and brutality he witnessed and inflicted were mere tools of survival, shaping him into a fearsome assassin who served House Duskryn without question, loyalty forged through chains of fear and duty.

Vaelrin's fate took an unexpected turn when he was purchased and subsequently freed by House Platin, followers of Eilistraee, the goddess of redemption and light. Unaccustomed to the warmth and compassion extended by his new family, he found himself in a bewildering world where his skills were no longer instruments of oppression but tools for protection and healing. Struggling to reconcile his violent past and suffering with the hope and freedom offered by Eilistraee’s followers, Vaelrin embarked on a journey of healing his trauma. He slowly began to understand the values of mercy and forgiveness, finding a new purpose beyond the shadows that once defined him.

The Player: Yes, we played together in a Lost Mines of Phandelver game that sadly ended.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4699
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
So the one source could be UA? Unearthed Arcana.

Last edited by Clawsome; Jun 4th, 2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 02:58 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawsome View Post
So the one source could be UA? Unearthed Arcana.
Yes, it can.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 04:33 AM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9541
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Neraka Nieloth
Race: drow
Class: wizard necromancer 9
Alignment: Neutral good

Family Rank: Neraka was adopted into the house several years ago and works under Vern. He uses his undead as cheap tireless labor

Appearance: Neraka is tall and of average build. Age and a hard life have put lines on his face. He has long wavy hair and carries a bandolier of potions and scrolls of all kinds as he knows the value of being prepared. He carries a staff made from a treant as an arcane focus. He has weary eyes due to the many horrors he has witnessed in Menzoberranzan, but in the safety of house platin, he has learned to smile.

Background: Neraka was the fourth son of house Nieloth, a minor house that desperately struggled for the scraps at the bottom of drow society, and as the youngest son, Neraka struggled to survive his own family. His older brothers Jandar, Zemeckis, and Cador delighted in tormenting him. they were all bigger and stronger, and they reveled in the tiny bit of power they experienced over the only person they could oppress, but the worst were his sisters, The twins Millia and Miria. They felt it was their duty as drow women to teach their little brother obedience and would find any excuse to whip him half to death.

When Neraka displayed magical talent, he was given a reprieve by being shipped off to sorcere. Here Neraka found some small level of freedom and began to develop self esteem as his rapid mastery of the arcane arts proved him a talented caster. The arcane simply made sense to him. It came naturally and he it became the first thing in his life that gave him joy. Unfortunately, his success was not celebrated by his jealous peers. The worst of which was a senior student named Jakass. He was an illusionist that constantly used his magic to cause Neraka grief. Making him walk into closed doors that appeared to be open. putting up walls to hide hallways to cause Neraka to get lost. Creating monstrous creatures to terrify him, but the worst was when he made Neraka grab the wrong ingredients for a potion which caused an explosion causing Narka to constantly have a minor version of spider climb active, giving him sticky fingers permanently.

Despite this torment, Neraka still considered his time at sorcere to be a highlight in his life for it was there that he met his first friend, Kavoth, an evoker with a passion for fire magic. Kavoth was everything Neraka wasn’t. He was loud, confident, hot tempered, fearless, and confrontational. He stood up for Neraka many times and often encouraged his friend to stand up for himself. Things got worse when Neraka learned he had an affinity for necromancy. Necromancers had a bad reputation even among drow society as power hungry destructive mad mages, but unlike so many necromancers of the past, Neraka had no desire to create a vast army of the undead. For one thing, zombies and skeletons just weren’t that good in combat. A zombie was slightly difficult to kill for a commoner, sure, but maintaining control over too many of them left the caster too weak to use their stronger spells. Neraka saw a better use for them. a less evil and more helpful use. The dead could mine without rest. The dead could till soil and plant crops without needing to eat. The dead could carry heavy loads without complaint. The dead could serve the living to make their lives easier. And if it came to combat, every blow the dead took was pain the living were spared from.

Then, the world Neraka knew came to an end. A rival house purged his own, killing his family in a single night. Neraka would have joined them if Kavoth hadn’t come to warn him just before the assassins made their move. Together the two wizards fought off their assailants, but it seemed to Neraka that they had only postponed the inevitable, for without a house, without their patronage, he would be expelled from sorcere and meet his end on the streets. But this was not Nerka’s fate, for his friend saved his life a second time by bringing him to the house he served; house platin.

Kavoth made an appeal to lady Platin, and she welcomed Neraka into her house, offering her protection. Under her roof, Neraka found a world utterly alien to him. no whips, no cruelty, no insults. He found safety, and he understood that he was home. There is no doubt in Neraka’s mind that lady Platin saved his life, and so he has dedicated that life to serving her and her dream in any way he can. He continued his studies under Vern who he took a liking to due to his being an undead, and to this day strives to be the best wizard he can be to prove that not all necromancers are monsters.

The Player: I am currently running a game based on elder scrolls skyrim that has been going for over 2 years, so commitment is not a problem. i work 8 hours a day but have 4 hours every night where i can post
Old Jun 7th, 2024, 05:11 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
I need a few more. Who doesn’t want to play a level 10 priestess of Eilistraee? Level 10!
Old Jun 7th, 2024, 10:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4504
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
are there any rules on chat-gpt generated feats or backgrounds?
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 06:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10644
Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Zirca Platin

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Class: Cleric (10/Twilight) of Eilistraee

Family Rank: 3rd child of Diamond Platin

Appearance: From the very top of her head all the way down to her waist, a cascade of polished silver contours Zirca's slightish stature, the half-tamed threads bouncing to-and-fro about the drow's narrow shoulders and lithe frame. In their measuredly unruly state, these locks act as a great reflection, whether it be in capturing and throwing back the few instances of light one may find in the darkest corners of the world, to existing in contrast with the drow woman's unblemished skin, its color that of a settling dusk hidden behind an endless fog.

Breaking up the fog on this horizon, sharp crimson eyes sparkle with an intense curiosity, large enough to let one see how they take measure of the possibilities held within all they behold. Zirca's smile is easy and genuine, never exaggerated with overly large displays of her pearl white teeth, polished grey lips never stretched to their breaking. Her prominent ears cut through the silver curtain of her hair, always adorned with jewelry of a fashionable sort, and in comparison to her majestically messy tresses, the gloss on her lips, the treatment on her lashes and brow, and the hint of blush applied to her cheeks and button nose, all exhibit an effort put in to hone and refine her overall appearance to complement her natural beauty.

Background: She is told that she was a rambunctious and energetic child, always getting underfoot where she was not wanted for a lark, strong-willed and impatient to be let loose upon the cruel world she had been born into so that she may make it whole.

She is told that she loved nothing more than finding herself lost in the gardens, playing amongst the well-kept flora and pestering her older sister with questions unending about a great many topics, including the supposed night sky beyond their subterranean home, the promise of a better tomorrow for their people.

She is told that she was oh so brave when her time came to attend Arach-Tinilith, and that she swore to keep to her family's ideals, no matter what cruelties she was subjected to within those halls of learning.

In the end, all that remains for Zirca are her ideals and the cruelties. Ideals to hold together her fractured mind, and cruelties to remind her of the wickedness with which Lolth's teachings poisons the drow. It was all for her own good, of course, to bleed out the weakness of doubt, to purge one of any and all thoughts which served no purpose in the eyes of Lolth, and to prepare both the body and the mind for a lifetime of service to their mistress. Incapable of even recalling the faces of her family, Zirca instead attached herself to the single friend she had made in her years at the Academy as the one familiar confidant she could confide in, even as she fought off challenges from her greatest rival, torturing the Platin daughter over many years as she saw her as a threat and an annoyance, a struggle encouraged gleefuly by the Mistresses of the Academy as they believed healthy dose of competition that would make them both stronger. Or only the survivor, if one proved to be incapable of rising to meet their rival. It felt like an eternity in a neverending nightmare, but Zirca did survive, and with the blessings of Lolth was allowed to returned to her House of unknowns.

Returning home to complete strangers was a strange feeling. A frustrating feeling, especially knowing that they were telling the truth but that she could recall none of it. Old conversations she could not reminisce over, a sister and mother who were as much strangers to her as some random duergar she could cross paths with on the streets of Menzoberranzan, and returning to this sanctuary of warmth and love which was House Platin in comparison to the years she had spent among Lolth's faithful was confusing and near-panic inducing. With her memories broken, she had forgotten that a place like this can exist. She remembered having those ideals, she remembered her drive to survive Arach-Tinilith and show the drow a better way, but she had for the longest time been unable to get to the core of that belief.

Her beautiful Dark Maiden, sword in hand as she danced under a moonlight Zirca had never known. The daughter of House Platin had forgotten herself, forgotten her house's purpose, forgotten the foundation of her core beliefs, but once the Lady Platin and High Priestess Silveria had returned to her the shape and story of their goddess, Zirca knew that there was only one true path to becoming whole.

She had spent too long pantomiming reverence to the Spider Queen, hiding away her true nature, turning a blind eye to pain and cruelty just to move forward. Zirca did not know how her old self would have fought this battle, any look to the past was only a glimpse into a void walled off by pain, but the time to act was nigh, and rather than wait on a self that was dead and gone, she would throw herself wholly into the worship of Eilistraee with unmatched zeal to find a new path to her purpose, bridging the darkness of her mind with new points of light to become the person she wishes to be, and hopefully one her old self could look upon proudly. She would never let herself feel helpless again, she would never let others feel helpless again, and she would see her house's ambitions come to pass no matter the cost.

The Player: I remember playing in your Puella Magi campaign some time back. That was a pretty good time, so I'll give this game my all. I'm also interested because I have had few opportunities in my ttrpg career to really interact with the Underdark and its denizens as a setting. Fun new territory to explore. Barring any unforeseen lifechanging circumstances bringing my gaming career to an end, commitment is not an issue.

Last edited by Crocodile; Jun 11th, 2024 at 01:17 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 09:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4699
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
I would love to play, but if I am being honest, I am in too many games to give this the time and justice it deserves. So, I will pass this time.