Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
The Black Spire

Game NameThe Black Spire
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeDungeon Delving with Friends
FlavourHints of Mass Effect, The Secret World, Elden Ring, Final Fantasy XIV, and Horizon: Zero Dawn (mostly the last two), but not as dark as some, if that makes sense.
Plot Summary
Setting and StoryIn the beginning, the gods created Man. Man encompassed all sapient humanoids, of which there were many, and magic flowed abundant. They spawned massive cities and nations, covering the lands and even spreading into the seas. The gods saw their mistake, and wiped out most of these races. The ones they spared were either devout and manageable, or not quite sapient yet. They did this every so often for many, many millenia, whenever the people became too powerful.

The gods are many, but the most powerful of all are the Old Ones, the ones worshipped by the majority of the people in every era. These old ones are Cthulhu (CE), Estielle (LG), Hastur (LE), Margrim (CG), and Yog-Sothoth (N), each governing a different area. Cthulhu is the god of madness, undeath, and the sea. Estielle is the goddess responsible for creation of the life that populates the world, as well as the destroyer, and is often depicted as wearing the sun and moon. Hastur is also a god of madness, but governs plagues and large scale, indiscriminate death, like war and famine. Margrim is the god of smaller scale deaths, as well as fertility, harvests, and the land. Yog-Sothoth is the god of knowledge, forbidden knowledge especially, as well as acceptance of madness, and the dark tapestry of space.

You are a member of one of the sapient races of this current era. Much of the architecture of previous eras has been reclaimed by nature. You live in a city that could very well have been one of the first built by the first races. It has no name, it has no borders. It simply is. It has outlived so many races, and will likely outlive your own.

We are starting on one of the coasts of the endless city, near many manmade islands, each built up impossibly tall to accommodate for large populations of the time they were built. Signs and billboards exist, saying things in no longer spoken languages, though some have been since repurposed.

Guns have been reinvented using old techniques remembered by the malut. They have advanced to the point of having revolving barrels (advanced firearms are in play, and guns are commonplace). Factories to make more have been found and understood, as have canneries to preserve foods longer. Most things, however, are still handmade; people have a tendency to fear the things that got the previous races killed by the gods. Guns and canned goods are simply viewed as necessities.

You are part of an explorer's guild for whatever reason you joined, be it treasure, knowledge, or something else. You have all worked together in the past, probably multiple times. Some may have even known each other before joining. You have all decided to take a job exploring a distant landmark: a seemingly endlessly tall spire from a previous era. It is rumored no one has reached the top, not even the craftiest pajushri or most skilled numezeri.

Mechanics and RulesThis is a potentially high power game, but also open to new players. Everyone gets a racial feat for free at 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th level. These cannot be taken as regular feats, except by fighters in place of combat feats. You can instead take Extra Combat Talent, Extra Skill Talent, or Utilitarian Dilettante at these levels if the racial feats don't appeal to you or you don't have any you can take. Because there is no non-innate magic, there are no item creation feats except through the Master Craftsman feat, which also allows the Incribe Magical Tattoo feat (which is alchemical in nature, requiring 5 ranks of Craft (Alchemy)). The created weapons, armor, or wondrous items are not magical, just exceptionally high quality or alchemically active. There are magic items from previous eras, where magic existed, but the ability to create them has been lost to time. Please note if an item has been crafted that is simply high quality/alchemical instead of magical.

We are rolling for stats (4d6, dropping the lowest. Do not roll in this thread) and are starting at level 3. We are using background skills, but not EitR (since you'll already be getting extra feats from your choice of race). This is also not a gestalt game. We are using some Spheres content (all Spheres of Might and Guile, as well as the classes listed below, but not Spheres of Power. We are also not using Tech, Tinker, or Pilot spheres). No other third party content is allowed (except MAYBE on a case-by-case basis for prestige classes). You are allowed to make custom weapons if you come up with something creative that isn't represented already, such as Bloodborne's saw cleaver or other combination/trick weapons (though all weapons you create are exotic weapons, requiring a feat to gain proficiency).

Allowed Classes (unchained only, if available. No alternate favored class bonuses for any class. Archetypes are allowed°): Armiger (SoM), Barbarian, Blacksmith (SoM), Brawler, Cavalier, Conscript (SoM), Fighter*, Genius (SoG), Gunslinger, Mageknight (SoP)***, Monk, Ninja**, Professional (SoG), Rogue**, Samurai, Savant (SoM), Scholar (SoM), Sentinel (SoM), Slayer, Striker (SoM), Swashbuckler, Vigilante

° You cannot choose archetypes that grant magic or magic spheres.
* Can choose racial feats in addition to combat feats. Only available to Fighter class. You cannot take more than one racial feat per level, and cannot take a racial feat two levels in a row (such as using a regular feat slot at 3rd level and a bonus feat at 4th level, or a bonus racial feat at 5th level and a bonus combat feat at 6th level).
** Only malut and derideri can choose options that grant magic, such as the minor magic rogue talent. You cannot gain magic spheres in this way.
*** Must use the Knightknight archetype.

Regardless of alignment, the party must work together. They have known each other for a long time, whether they agree with each other or not. While I would prefer an all good/neutral party, I can work with a mixed group.

Posting rate is roughly once per week. Preferably faster, but I can't always commit to more.

I do not know how many people I'll be taking. It depends on interest. But I'll take no fewer than 3 (in which case I'll have a character, too, but otherwise I won't).

LanguagesWhile everyone speaks common, regardless of their location in the world, there are in fact other languages, usually spoken by monsters.

Celestial. The language of aberrations, celestial beings, gods, and kami.
Chaotic. The language spoken by creatures with many mouths. Only creatures with a way to do so can speak this language, but others can learn it.
Demonic. The language of demons.
Diabolic. The language of devils.
Draconic. The language of dragons.
Druidic. The language of plants and animals. This is a secret language.
Giant. The language of cyclopes and giants.
Goblin. The language of goblinoids.
Gottrec. The language of the gottrec. This is a secret language.
Harpy. The language of harpies.
Nekril. The language of undeath, spoken by those capable of speaking anyway, such as liches and mummies. The language is ancient, from an era long forgotten.
Octopus. The language of octopodes who have been uplifted by the gods. Spoken mainly on the manmade islands and coasts of the endless city.
Olethros. The language of psychopomps.
Primordial. The language of elementals capable of speech.
Psychic. The language not spoken, but thought. Hearing it in one's mind without natural shielding is harmful to most due to high information density.
Siren. The sung language of sirens.
Sphinx. The language of the sphinxes.
Sylvan. The language of the fey. Would be a dead language if not spoken in malut communities. It is a very strict language, intended never to change, as it may one day be needed to communicate with others of that time period.
ApplicationsName:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:

Description: (appearance, personality, and the like)

History: (include why you joined the explorer's guild and how long you've been with the party)

Last edited by Ermine; Jun 10th, 2024 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 26th, 2024, 12:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 969
separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion
Interested. Just want to confirm the classes and races are hard set to only what's listed here.

Also, I don't have a ton of experience outside the PHB1 and 2, so a lot of the other reference are unfamiliar to me.
Old May 26th, 2024, 12:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, just what's listed. I may allow prestige classes on a case-by-case basis, though.

Last edited by Ermine; May 26th, 2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 26th, 2024, 01:29 PM
Evo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 648
Evolver Evolver Evolver Evolver Evolver Evolver
Interesting. I may throw something down when my internet gets fixed. Thinking....
Old May 26th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7812
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Do you allow the Leadership Sphere? I'm thinking of a Conscript that focuses mostly on the Leadership Sphere to provide the support that a party would need for an extended stay in the Spire.

Roleplay-wise he would be a Merchant with his caravan. His motivation would be money of course, but he would want to be as helpful to the rest of the party as possible, as he would know that such people have the potential to be influential figures in the future.
Old May 26th, 2024, 02:06 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion separateunion

Application
Name: Eve Nightwhisper
Race: Malut
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Description: Short, lanky, and agile, Eve is capable of fitting into most tight spaces. She's quick witted, but sometimes her wit can't keep up with her tongue which sometimes leads to her own misfortune. Her deft fingers are covered with callouses from constantly working with rough, small objects and she can easily get hyper focused on whatever task is at hand, oblivious to her surroundings. Her cheery personality belies the fact that she'll upend someone in an instant for looking at her wrong. She's willing to throw in with anyone who gives her an opportunity some sort of lost knowledge, especially if that knowledge is forbidden. After all, there's good coin to be made from such information...in the right places. While not a religious fanatic exactly, she considers herself spiritual in that she holds to the precepts of Yog-Sothoth although she does not worship him in any overt way.

History: Eve is a nomad who never knew her family. She travels from place to place looking for a good place to drink. In between duping poor saps out of money in the local taverns, she occasionally takes on a bit of work if the pay (or score) catches her attention. She has heard tales of the Black Spire and has come to the city to investigate. By luck, she's heard about a caravan that is to set out for the spire and she is looking into the explorer's guild to see about joining up...

Last edited by separateunion; Jun 6th, 2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old May 26th, 2024, 02:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
Do you allow the Leadership Sphere? I'm thinking of a Conscript that focuses mostly on the Leadership Sphere to provide the support that a party would need for an extended stay in the Spire.

Roleplay-wise he would be a Merchant with his caravan. His motivation would be money of course, but he would want to be as helpful to the rest of the party as possible, as he would know that such people have the potential to be influential figures in the future.
I would prefer not to use the Leadership or Tech/Tinker spheres. Could be convinced otherwise maybe. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
Interesting. I may throw something down when my internet gets fixed. Thinking....
Would only be fair; I'm in your game after all.

Last edited by Ermine; May 26th, 2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old May 26th, 2024, 02:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know anything about spheres. Hopefully that's not an issue. I like the world and the concept, but looks like I have to learn quite a bit about non-core resources.
Old May 26th, 2024, 02:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
It shouldn't be an issue. If you want to work with it, I'm sure anyone familiar would help you (including myself).

If you haven't found the Spheres wiki, here it is

Last edited by Ermine; May 26th, 2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 27th, 2024, 06:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 350
Aras3 Aras3 Aras3 Aras3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Yes, just what's listed. I may allow prestige classes on a case-by-case basis, though.
Can Third Party Prestige Classes be considered?
Old May 27th, 2024, 07:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Which one do you have in mind?

Edit: Also added Cavalier and Samurai to the list of playable classes, though they won't have much use for their mounts once you get to the Spire. (They will have some before that, though)

Last edited by Ermine; May 27th, 2024 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 27th, 2024, 09:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Application - WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Yasir bin Abadard XXIV

Class: Conscript

Race: Previdel

Appearance: "Towering" at 5'5", and weighing in at 140lbs, Yasir is invariably either grinning or preening, and usually both at the same time. Impeccably (and flashily) dressed, not physically imposing, but definitely noticeable!

Personality: In a word "Friendly!" Most would say overly friendly and exuberant, always trying to get people to like him, as it is easier to sell things to people when they like you! Has a habit of talking about himself in the third person. i.e. "Yasir is glad you came to see him today, Friend!"He is a salesman. Avoids conflict unless strictly necessary, tries to make everybody a friend, or at the very least a neutral party, as it is very hard to buy from or sell to somebody who wants to kill you!

Backstory:
The First Coin Flip
Luck? Luck appears and disappears on the flip of a coin tossed by The Prophet Abdul Alhazred's hand, or at least that's how Yasir has come to see it. On the day he was born, Yasir's Father, Abadard, and his mother (who were well regarded in the highly religious, Community) claimed that he had been marked for greatness by The Prophet himself. The Clergy remained neutral on these claims, but many people took their silence as confirmation and gave the family gifts to curry favour with their focus of devotion. The young Yasir did have a remarkably glib tongue as well as an eye for deals. His parents had him sign on as a cabin boy with a Merchant ship as soon as he was old enough, their outward reasoning being was that they wanted him to learn the Merchants trade from as many places as possible, but really it was so that all the attention/offerings would go to them!

The Second Coin Flip
All went well for the first couple of seasons, but then the ship was taken by Pirates. Those crew who lived (including Yasir, who cowered in the hold until everything was over) were sold into slavery. Due to his small and scrawny frame, Yasir was bought up by a crew of sewerjacks on a Criminal backwaterfor a pittance. The squalid conditions he was forced to work and live in over the next few years would affect his physical and mental well being for the rest of his life.

The Third Coin Flip
There were some benefits of these awful days, however. Over time, Yasir somehow managed to exert his personality over the various Urchins who lived in the sewers, getting some of them to alert him to any shiny objects they spotted, which allowed him to make a decent side-trade as a Someone who scavenges in the sewers, a sewer-hunter.Tosher. Over time he was able to scrounge up enough funds to barter for his freedom, and to pay for his passage home.

Yasir Pockets the Coin!
Yasir's homecoming was not all he hoped it would be. His parents had lied for the past few years, telling people that he was in regular contact with them, and that he had become so successful that he was practically a He wishes!Merchant Prince In return for him leaving, and so not risk their lies being found out!never to return, they gave him all the Offerings the Community had brought them over the years
So without a home, but with money to invest and a Silver Tongue, he was well set up to start his career as a travelling Merchant, but how to best invest his money? Then, thinking about his events of the previous few years, he realised that there was money to be made everywhere.
His willingness to crawl into the worst places in the world in search of a net profit eventually drew the attention of the Explorers Guild, most likely because he would turn up to their expeditions and dig sites rubbing his hand with pure avarice, trying (and succeeding) to sell them badly needed supplies in exchange for some of the priceless artifacts of bygone eras that they had recovered.
Character Sheet - WIP

Last edited by triedtherest; May 28th, 2024 at 05:40 AM.
Old May 27th, 2024, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'm assuming he'll be Malangi human? For the +4 Charisma and bonus feat? Assuming you keep him human, that is.

(You may consider Previdel, which were designed to be social people)

Last edited by Ermine; May 27th, 2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old May 27th, 2024, 10:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
You're right, reading through it's description and racial traits Previdel does seem to be a better option for the type of character I'm trying to create.
Old May 27th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Woo~

Now I just need to write out the descriptions of the abilities, combining them if necessary.

Edit: Did so for the non-obvious ones.

Last edited by Ermine; May 27th, 2024 at 11:46 AM.