RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 9th, 2024, 07:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7712
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Dougal Fastblade the Third
Class: Mastermind
Role: Skill User, Face, Scout, Back-up Healer
Race: Human
Deity: Brynn, nonbinary deity of intervention and the moon
Motivations (Major): Greed, Major Goal (make Jerek and Safira pay - see Background)
Motivations (Minor): Comfort (decent clothes/cleanliness), Discomfort (being dirty or unfashionably dressed)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Character Sheet Link: WIP
Key Ability: Intelligence (Operator ability modifier)
Casting Tradition: None
Martial Tradition:
Chemists who go adventuring often find the bottle makes as good of a weapon as what might be inside it.

Bonus Talents:

Equipment: Fast Draw
Alchemy sphere (formulae package)
Barroom sphere
Variable: Chemists gain one additional talent of their choice from either the Barroom sphere or Alchemy sphere.
Chemist
Trade Tradition:
Automatic Trade Talents: Burglar, Con Artist

Trade Talent Class Skills: Bluff, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Knowledge (local), Linguistics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth.

Automatic Skill Sphere: Infiltration sphere

Adroit Trade Talents: Dungeon Delver, Pirate

Trade Talent Class Skills: Acrobatics, Disable DeviceR, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Use Magic Device, Appraise, Climb, Intimidate, Swim;
R Diplomacy in place of redundant Disable Device skill

Adroit Bonus Skill Talent: Subterfuge sphere or the Infiltration sphere (Light Touch) talent.
Thief
Feats Taken:

Traits Taken: (Two non-campaign traits)

Accusation: The brutal Murder of Apothecary Johannes
Alibi: Technically he spent the time that the murder occured setting up a black market toxin deal in the common room of the inn where he had been staying. The Innkeeper and various of his staff can verify his presence, they have no idea what he was actually planning, but he was definitely not bludgeoning an Apothecary to death there!

Physical Description:

Disposition/Personality:

Background:

Last edited by triedtherest; Jun 14th, 2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 08:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Woo~
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 04:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot
Can I assume that as we are using all three spheres we can take classes and class options from Champions?
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 05:09 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yep~ I really like Crimson Dancer and Theorist, if it helps. ^~^
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 10:35 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8025
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I think this might be an important question, in how far are social engagements going to be handled by roleplay vs. spheres of guile handling? I've mostly been procastrinating reading up on spheres of guile so far (not many games use spheres, y'know?)

I'm operating normally!
Coherence is optional, personality is not.
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 10:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I hope there's a good balance of the two. Like...if you use spheres of guile to get something from someone, I expect that to be roleplayed appropriately.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 09:27 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I was making a build the other day, and handled my acces to demonic possession with the restraint and enthousiasm of a toddler in a candystore. Beyond Magic Jar as an SLA, so I can highjack anyone's body that fails a will savedemonic possession, I got Magic jar be default only lets you target a random character that's stronger or weaker, now I get to actually pick my targetsspirit sight and Magic jar lasts 24 hours and I get to use my target's extraordinary, supernatural and spell-like abilitiesimproved possession. Then I realised that I don't really have a whole lot of feats left over to... you know... deal with combat things.

Then I realised... I don't need to do that. I've got a magic jar ++, the DM will build functional combat characters for me and if anyone dies, I don't and if they survive, I get to use their faces for whatever intrigue I want!

Did I mention I love magic jar?

In all honesty though, despite my investment, the DC for the spell would only be 20. Does anyone know if there's a good way to use spheres to debuff will saves? It's really the only one I care about.

EDIT: This brings up a good point, as it stands I can force any enemy to make a will save or possess them, which is a powerful ability in a game that seems like it'll be very intrigue heavy, this is furthered by the troubadour getting bonuses to bluff and disguise (the skills I'd most likely need to pass for someone else). Perhaps it's time to wonder if this ability might not break the game?

I'm operating normally!

Last edited by Sirviantis; Jun 12th, 2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 11:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1044
nande nande nande nande nande nande nande nande
I think I'm good on the Spheres of Power rules, but the skills overhaul and new mechanics related to trade backgrounds are going right over my head.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 03:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
You don't have to use all the systems if you don't want. Just one is fine.

But I think I'll end recruitment for this one the same time as my other one: July 1st. I'll take people with unfinished applications if what they have piques my interest.

Most of the second half of July I'll be on vacation, so won't be on as much. I'll still probably be on daily, though.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 07:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Also, going to repeat this: I will homebrew stuff if anyone has a concept in mind that can't be done through flavoring or existing mechanical stuff.

Last edited by Ermine; Jun 13th, 2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 01:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Moving the date back to June 29th (the saturday before the 1st) because I don't want to pick stuff on a monday.

Last edited by Ermine; Jun 14th, 2024 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 05:04 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
I wonder how complete the characters need to be by the 29th? Should I work on a character sheet very much or can we leave that until we are selected?

Oh, for those wondering: Dirty trick can apply shaken and sickened for a -2, or two -2's if I can somehow extend the duration of the abilities and pull them both off without making anyone too angry.
Also, I have a question, Magic jar typically uses a crystal worth at least 500 gp. That's all good and well, but spell like abilities don't need material reagents specifically including focuses. However the magic jar spell does refer the focus in the text a few times. Specifically, on casting the spell your soul is immediately moved to the soul gem, from which point the soul can attempt to possess someone (typically at semi-random, but in Elyria's case she can pick and choose). The displaced soul is then put in the soul gem, and then she can move back and forth. Does her using this ability create a soul gem? 'cause that's a bit of a nerf. As normally the soul gem needs only be within medium range, which is quite a distance indeed and opens the oppertunity to get the soul gem placed tactically as a way into a fairly secure place. If she doesn't need a soul gem, then where does the original soul of her target body go? And where does her soul go when she tries to highjack the next body?

At the risk of sounding presumptuous, I'd propose that any significantly personal effect can function as a soul gem for her using magic jar. Alternatively, we could extend the range of the first possession of a magic jar chain to medium range and have her generate a temporary soul gem next to the first body she tries to posses.

I'm also wondering if magic jar filled soul gems count as filled soul gems for trading with devils and demons and the like. I don't expect that to come up, nor do I think Elyria would have the stomach to do that, but I have a character that might definitely try and I'm curious if it'd be worth anything.

I'm operating normally!

Last edited by Sirviantis; Jun 16th, 2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 10:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
1) As long as I can get an impression of the character, it's enough.

2) I think you'll need a soul gem. It's not ideal, but it is required by the spell.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 10:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Just realized everyone is accused of murder or intent to do so. Hopefully we get one that isn't as grim.

Last edited by Ermine; Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 02:00 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
Honestly, while Elyria is sort of complete as is, I might give her a new layer of paint, because she has a very specific magical ability and it's not adressed at all in her backstory.

I'm operating normally!