twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2024, 05:22 PM
[insert witticism here]

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 782
Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71
[Marvel Super Heroes] Supers In The City

Original post removed. Game is no longer going to be run. Moderators can close/lock/delete this entire thread.

Last edited by Scarecrow71; Jun 22nd, 2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7830
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Ooh, very interesting. I've never actually played this game before but I am aware of it and it sure sounds fun (I admit I would have liked the random generation aspect but I get why you dropped that.)

Question: is this set in the 1960s? I'm more familiar with DC overall but that was Marvel's Silver Age too right?
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 06:49 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1345
Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian
right-aligned image

Name; Shibing Shiyan
Hero Name; American Dragon
Age, Height, Weight: 28, 6'4", 250lbs
Potential Physical Form: Induced Mutant
Potential Power Suite: Physical Combat Suite
An image:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	103333  

Last edited by Cardassian; Jun 21st, 2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 08:39 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8329
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
App suspended.

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Jun 22nd, 2024 at 03:04 PM. Reason: updated
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 10:37 AM
[insert witticism here]

Tools
User Statistics
Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71 Scarecrow71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
Ooh, very interesting. I've never actually played this game before but I am aware of it and it sure sounds fun (I admit I would have liked the random generation aspect but I get why you dropped that.)

Question: is this set in the 1960s? I'm more familiar with DC overall but that was Marvel's Silver Age too right?
Excellent question! Let me give a bit of detail on this!

The Silver Age for Marvel happened in the period from 1956 - 1970, and was characterized by being a period of artistic advancement and widespread commercial success of comics. Where Marvel is concerned, this involved larger-than-life story arcs with flawed characters. It is generally considered that Fantastic Four #1 was the spark Marvel needed, the new superhero team leading the way into (at the time) the future of comics for the company. This led to major stories that took place not only on Earth, but in space AND across multiple dimensions. Writers were just throwing everything at the wall, and a lot of it stuck. The massive success of comics in the 60s (and into the 70s) really put comics in the mainstream and on the minds of a lot of kids who would grow up with that influence on their careers (I'm looking right at Kevin Smith here).

So what does that mean for this game? Well, I'm using the term "Silver Age" to denote the larger-than-life superhero stories, coupled with characters who have flaws and doubts. It really has nothing to do with the time period the game is set in, but rather the feel and flavor and flair (the three Fs!) that the story I want us all to craft should have. Think of it like a metaphor, such as you'd use if you thought someone was "green with envy". They aren't really green, but the metaphor gives a good impression of what they are feeling.

As far as time period of this game goes: Current date. Or, close enough to it, anyhow. The game's opening date will be sometime in 2024, more than likely July 1 (as that is close to when we will kick this off).

To answer the very next, very logical question that is coming: nothing in the MCU has happened in this reality. None of what happened from Iron Man 1 - Endgame has taken place. The characters are all alive and well-known (Iron Man, Cap, Widow, Hulk, Thor, et al), but the alien invasion, the Skrulls/Kree war, Thanos...none of that has happened in this dimension. It might happen at some point, but I haven't decided if it will or not.

Does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
Potential Physical Form: Normal human
Potential Power Suite: Ice powers

Background: Krissie Yang is a former Olympic ice-skater who was caught in a strange and unique radiation blast while her plane was flying over Alaska. This awakened ice-powers in the young athlete, and she defected to the West and eventually joined the whatever it shall be named in this game!Super Hero Team.
I snipped some of the post out for the quote, and I bolded that bit for emphasis.

Per the rules, if your Physical Form is Normal Human, all of your powers come from gadgets, devices, or Magical Mechanisms. Either the radiation blast did nothing OR she becomes some kind of mutant. Ie, either Physical Form or Background/Origin needs to change.

Last edited by Scarecrow71; Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 11:01 AM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27769
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Why not? This sounds like fun. WIP, gotta trim those images when I get the time!

Last edited by Lazer; Jun 21st, 2024 at 01:23 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 11:35 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8329
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Ie, either Physical Form or Background/Origin needs to change.[/font]
OK let's try induced mutant.

EDIT: And current timeframe means the app can stay as it is!

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Jun 20th, 2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Excellent question! Let me give a bit of detail on this!

The Silver Age for Marvel happened in the period from 1956 - 1970, and was characterized by being a period of artistic advancement and widespread commercial success of comics. Where Marvel is concerned, this involved larger-than-life story arcs with flawed characters. It is generally considered that Fantastic Four #1 was the spark Marvel needed, the new superhero team leading the way into (at the time) the future of comics for the company. This led to major stories that took place not only on Earth, but in space AND across multiple dimensions. Writers were just throwing everything at the wall, and a lot of it stuck. The massive success of comics in the 60s (and into the 70s) really put comics in the mainstream and on the minds of a lot of kids who would grow up with that influence on their careers (I'm looking right at Kevin Smith here).

So what does that mean for this game? Well, I'm using the term "Silver Age" to denote the larger-than-life superhero stories, coupled with characters who have flaws and doubts. It really has nothing to do with the time period the game is set in, but rather the feel and flavor and flair (the three Fs!) that the story I want us all to craft should have. Think of it like a metaphor, such as you'd use if you thought someone was "green with envy". They aren't really green, but the metaphor gives a good impression of what they are feeling.

As far as time period of this game goes: Current date. Or, close enough to it, anyhow. The game's opening date will be sometime in 2024, more than likely July 1 (as that is close to when we will kick this off).

To answer the very next, very logical question that is coming: nothing in the MCU has happened in this reality. None of what happened from Iron Man 1 - Endgame has taken place. The characters are all alive and well-known (Iron Man, Cap, Widow, Hulk, Thor, et al), but the alien invasion, the Skrulls/Kree war, Thanos...none of that has happened in this dimension. It might happen at some point, but I haven't decided if it will or not.

Does that help?

I snipped some of the post out for the quote, and I bolded that bit for emphasis.

Per the rules, if your Physical Form is Normal Human, all of your powers come from gadgets, devices, or Magical Mechanisms. Either the radiation blast did nothing OR she becomes some kind of mutant. Ie, either Physical Form or Background/Origin needs to change.
Thank you, very helpful. As I've said I'm far more familiar with DC (including the Silver Age) but I do have some awareness about Marvel.

I admit I was quite excited about a game actually set in the 60s but I'm happy to try and come up a 'modern' four colour style character.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
MFCHOOM MFCHOOM MFCHOOM

Name Dr. Tigrun Lasker
Age, Height, Weight 39, 5'8", 399 lbs.
Physical Form Cyborg (Mechanical Body)
Power Suite Nigh-Invulnerable Brick & Enhanced Physicality

Background
Dr. Tigrun Lasker was born with two rare and debilitating bone defects, which made his childhood a constant struggle of pain, fragility, and confinement. As he grew older, his determination to overcome his condition only intensified, driving him to pursue a career in biology and dedicate his life to finding a cure. His research into biotechnology and advanced materials led to breakthroughs in bone and skin therapies, but his laboratory team's funding was cut off due to a perceived lack of profitability in treating such rare conditions. Faced with the looming specter of death and disability, Dr. Lasker made the desperate decision to use his research on himself; he underwent an experimental procedure to integrate a prototype adamantium fiber mesh beneath his skin, transforming him into the super-powered Professor Alloy.

Last edited by MFCHOOM; Jun 20th, 2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:09 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
MFCHOOM MFCHOOM MFCHOOM
Hi everyone! I love FASERIP. It's actually the first roleplaying game I'd ever played, back in I think 2012. It's always been one of my favorites because of it, and I have many fond memories creating chaotic and random heroes.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 481
Malkavianmilkball Malkavianmilkball Malkavianmilkball Malkavianmilkball Malkavianmilkball
Application for NARF

N-A-R-F
left-aligned image

Name: Nanite-Anomalous-Regenerating-Forms

Height: Variable, but usually a two foot sphere.

Weight: Variable, but usually about fifty pounds

Potential Physical Form: Pure Robot [Metamorph (With Shapechange)]

Potential Power Suite: Shapechange, with a side order of Technology Control

Background: The entity(ies?) now known as NARF was discovered in the Antarctic in a crater dated at ten thousand years old. It was studied by scientists where it was discovered to be a probe from ancient civilization sent to explore the universe.

They designated it Nanite-Anomalous-Regenerating-Forms after its morphic and imitative properties. It took the acronym as it's designation. It was damaged and much of it's programming was lost, but it was able repair physical form. Eventually it left the science outpost to discover this world of similarly anomalous entities.

Last edited by Malkavianmilkball; Jun 20th, 2024 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Looking up the rules I'm considering taking the Alter Ego power for a character who is gender fluid but from an extremely conservative family and uses their ability to shift to explore that side of themselves under an alternate superhero secret identity - an opportunity for good old fashion Marvel style angst and quipping.

The other actual powers are still a work in progress but I cooked up some concept art mid-transformation:

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:42 PM
[insert witticism here]

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
Looking up the rules I'm considering taking the Alter Ego power for a character who is gender fluid but from an extremely conservative family and uses their ability to shift to explore that side of themselves under an alternate superhero secret identity - an opportunity for good old fashion Marvel style angst and quipping.

The other actual powers are still a work in progress but I cooked up some concept art mid-transformation:

Alter Ego is banned. This is made clear in the Banned Powers spoiler.

Basically: your concept is not valid for multiple reasons.

Last edited by wodine; Jun 21st, 2024 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I see. Withdrawing interest.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 12:36 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34808