RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 07:12 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20743
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Is it enveloping your mind?
alright then.. Long Rest!
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 09:44 PM
Thunder Maker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 302
IronStar IronStar IronStar IronStar
With everything she has going for her, I'd say they take all the damage, and she finds a way to stand on both feet.

I can picture Nights in White Satin playing as a Korvosan serial killer makes his/her/their kills.

I'll run back through everyone's applications tonight.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 10:02 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13752
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Doral is ready for a gander.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 10:25 PM
Thunder Maker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 302
IronStar IronStar IronStar IronStar
Picking only six players is going to be difficult. I see so much potential in each character and how they could impact my version of Korvosa. I've tried a dozen combinations, and it isn't getting easier. I don't really have any strong critiques for what I've read. I'm still going through the apps and I'll keep you all posted on if anything should be changed or modified.

Last edited by IronStar; Jul 7th, 2024 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 01:47 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
DoesAOneSave DoesAOneSave DoesAOneSave
@arin12

Thanks. I shamelessly stole your app format and forgot to mention it. :P
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 07:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 350
Aras3 Aras3 Aras3 Aras3
Name: Daggo

Race: Human

Classes: Wilder 5/Thrallherd 3//Empath Medium 8

Appearance: Daggo appears to be a young man with a perpetual frown. He has black hair, brown eyes and his skin is covered in scars.

Personality: Cold. Unforgiven. Daggo doesn't have an ounce of piety or mercy. He punishes the guilty and evildoers with cruelty and sadism and worst, perpetual slavery.

Background: Arlern Doul'kan was the only son of Count Durbre Doul'kan. Being a loyal Servant of Magnimar, his father was granted rich lands and treated the commoneers with respect and mercy, only claiming enough taxes to live well and give the Lord Mayor the usual sum of money.
Dourbre had other preocupations too. He longed for his son to calm a little and reach all his potential, so one day he can defend the metropolis properly as a Lord.
Every tutor said that Arlern was a brilliant student with great psionic might and inventive. However the kid was easily distracted and many times escaped to the town to meet a noble girl, Listeris, who besides to being trained in the use of the sword, was the most beautiful girl around, with red hair, a porcelain-like skin, and a face which the other kids would happily give up an arm just to kiss and get lost in her blue eyes. Arlern's feelings for her were returned, and when in puberty, both families had to keep an eye in their respective bedrooms to guard their honor.
That is when Bilac Shilman came to his life. The son of Archbishop Fentern Shilman, soon they became friends, and with Listeris the trio was famous for the cheerful days and nights they spend in District 1. The Archbishop Shilman was a respected cleric, to whom Iomedae had given much power for his admirable justice and service in the war.
Soon the Archbishop and the Count became good friends, almost as much as their sons. The bonds between House Doul'Kan and House Nerimak (the house wich Listeris belonged to) became stronger and when Arlern and Listeris were fifteen, a mutual benefical alliance was arranged with the engagement between the young couple.
In that time Bilac talked Arlern about the other girls. In his point of view, they were not married yet, and 3 years was a long time to wait when their bodies wanted more than just a few kisses. Arlern sensed some truth in his words and join him in a night of party. Arlern felt soft skins, kissed beautiful lips and almost burn in the heat that the girl's private parts let be felt in his hands. However, a total betrayal to Listeris' love was never done.
However, not everything was fun when that happened. rumours of Arlern's behaviour were spread and House Nerimak and Listeris in particular demanded explanations. Many times a diviner was hired to see if the boy was guilty of being unloyal to Liseris, always to claim that the boy was innocent. Obviously his father and Listeris wasn't happy about the rumours and many times the Count punished his son.
It was in that time that Arlern noted a change of the mood in his father. Suddenly he was always quiet and deep in his thoughts, spending much time of the day in his private chambers. When Arlern asked what was happening, Count Durbre Doul'kan only smiled and asked him to have some fun elsewhere, because nothing was happening.
Soon, as his father's face showed his many preocupations, Arlern became a young man, famous for wining the hearts of many ladies, much to the fury of Listeris. But Arlern always stopped before sucumbing to his lust. One night both Arlern and Bilac were singing a ballad to a sweet lady that looked at them through her window. When they finished, and the lady swore her heart to Arlern, they left, walking to the port.
It was in that exact moment that Arlern felt the dagger burying in his flesh.
Bilas was stabbing him, at his best friends or so Arlern thought. The attack was repeated, and with his last breath Arlern only spoke one word: Why
Bilas' answer was simple. Durbre Doul'kan had discovered his father's plan to become most influential forces in the Council of Ushers. The archbishop as well as other nobles like House Nerimak, were ready to take over the city using both lies, poison and sword, magic and gold. They would become Sabriyya Kalmeralm's trusted advisors. They knew that Count Doul'kan was untouchable, but they never imagined that he could have discovered and reunited so many proofs of the treachery. As he was speaking, his home, and all the people inside it, was being burned and false proofs about a plot by Count Doul'kan were being planted.
Only one word crossed Arlern's mind then: Listeris... was she also...?
Bilas guessed what Arlern was thinking. He answered even when no question was asked. Listeris was innocent. But she also was the reason why a dagger was buried inside Arlern. Bilas was in love with Listeris, but as long as Arlern lived, he would never have her. The next day, the Lord Mayor would be informed of the "treason" that House Doul'Kan was preparing and Listeris would forsake her love for Arlern. And it would only be a short time for her to fall in Bilas' arms.
With that, Bilas kicked his body to the sea. And the sea engulfed the young man.

Arlern suddenly felt wood behind him. He awoke and found himself in a galley. In front of him a tall, robust man with a whip looked at him, obviously having a good fun.
He informed him that he had luck. They rescued him. And in return they found a good new slave. Arlern's claims as a noble was desestimed. with a snarl, the man, a captain serving in the small but growing fleet of the Temple of Asmodeus in Korvosa, informed him that as a dagger brought him to this new life as a slave, he also needed a new name fitting to his condition as slave.

And in that moment. Arlern Doul'kan, son of Count Durbre Doul'kan, died and Daggo was born.

Down in the oars, he passed months working to put the ship in movement. There he found Milestan, an old slave that taught him humility and patience as well as self control. That was the time Daggo remembered the power of his mind. Day after day he worked his body, making it stronger, in the oars, waiting for a chance to escape. That chance never happened though and when the galley reached his destiny they were sold to a new Master.
Dago cried for what he was and what he was now. Milestan calmed him, telling him that slaves should be smarter than a snake to survive and that he was going to teach him how.
Dago couldn't accept the truth. He was furious and when the new Master order the guard to make him work, Dago killed one of them with a fire ray out of the power of his mind. The Master recognized the value and danger of such a slave and put him to fight others in the Jade Circle arena for his entertainment. There Daggo made his first kills. Daggo growth in experience, his mind became stronger as well his body. And soon he hated himself for having forgotten his previous life, and more important his previous name. He found himself trapped in a life full of death, only fighting to satisfy an former Asmodian hellknight that delighted at the sight of blood. He hated what he had become. But he didn't know that the death he had saw was nothing compared to what he would soon see.

After the death of Eldarin the Dead, they got sold again. Just that in that time, Daggo met Cromarcky, the dread Admiral that now commanded hundred of ships under his title of Overlord of the Greatest Fleet of Korvosa and his friend Milestan fell sick. He tried to steal a gem from the Admiral so he could pay a guard and to watch to the other side while he helped the old man to escape but was discovered, and Milestan himself had to beg for the mercy of the Overlord, argumenting that he was sick and old and the gem couldn't save him from death. The second fatherly figure in Daggo's mind died in his arms, touching the heart of the Admiral of the Greatest Fleet. He spared his life, but put him again to the oars.

At the end of the travel. Daggo got sold again. But this master would pay his wickedness dearly.
The plague came as a ghost to Sirathu, claiming numerous lives, making the people anxious and afraid of even being in contact with loved ones. The government ordered a quarantine in that town and chaos brooke free. Daggo found masters and slaves, all taken as equals by the plague, children and old men, men and women. Fortunately, he found that the source of the plague was a different kind of oozes and followed the advice to wash clothes with hot water. That way, killing the oozes on sight and always cleaning himself, he could survive... and escape.

Once he escaped, Daggo roamed the lower districts freely. He helped some people that regarded him as a hero. And still others, looked him in fear, because his fame was quickly spreading. Daggo was now a man trapped in a part of the Metropolis that little by little opened its secrets to him. His heart became cold and even when he was known as a just man, his dreaded sight made all others to shake in fear. There was something dead in him, and people begun to whisper that it was his soul.

In his following adventures, fought numerous mafia like organizations, using his mental power to control an enemy leader, Tharlissa, an evil woman known by her wickedness. He has a new nickname now. The Renegade. Most people wonder why the Magnimarian doesn't return to his city. The truth is that he has found the persons that had the money to buy the Shilmans and the power to give the exbishop of Iomedae the spells he needs to pass as a tool of the goddess' will: Darb Tuttle and Ornher Reebs.

Relationships: Choose at least 3 NPCs to build strong ties to.
In Korvosa
Darb Tuttle: The one who payed the noble houses of Magnimar to undermine the government and sell the city to Korvosa.
Ornher Reebs: The one who corrupted the clerics and offered the patronage of Asmodeus so they can still cast spells.
Cranien Globok: Cleric of Ragathiel living next to the Pantheon of Many. He helps Daggo as much as he can and in return, Daggo often serves as Ragathiel's punishment outside the temple.

In Magnimar
Lysteris Nerimak: Arlern Doul'kan's love interest. Daggo often wonders if he will feel anything for her when he will see her again.
Bilac Shilman: Former friend and now sworn enemy. Bilac still thinks he is dead. Daggo will not let him think otherwise till it will be too late. Now husband of Lysteris and Captain of the City Guard.

Last edited by Aras3; Jul 8th, 2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 07:54 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12735
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStar View Post
I've tried a dozen combinations, and it isn't getting easier.
Comparing my head-canon lineup with what the DM ultimately chooses is my favorite waiting-for-selection passtime.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 08:45 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 90789
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconigenaArma View Post
Comparing my head-canon lineup with what the DM ultimately chooses is my favorite waiting-for-selection passtime.
I like to mentally bet on the numbers of applications that will come in the last three days. My magic number is 4. Only three more to go.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 09:52 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesAOneSave View Post
@arin12

Thanks. I shamelessly stole your app format and forgot to mention it. :P
Oh hey, no worries! I don't even remember if that's my own design or something I stole ten years ago. Likely a combination of both. But I'm gratified that you liked it.

Quote:
I had to stop doing that a long time ago. Inevitably, I come up with reasons to exclude my own app, and that leads to depression.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 10:37 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12735
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
I can't say I've ever done that, but it definitely would take the fun out of it.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 11:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14063
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
I updated and added some secret background for you in my application.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 12:27 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
DoesAOneSave DoesAOneSave DoesAOneSave
Quote:
I don't even try to pretend I could guess what a DM will choose after the entry passes "decent". Just too may variables ranging from personal preferences all the way to what would fit for what he or she has planned.

Now, I do look at from the stand point of what would I want to accept were I DMing. Have not done that in... geez... a decade, but one of these days I will start up again.

Last edited by DoesAOneSave; Jul 9th, 2024 at 12:28 AM.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 06:18 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8
Tempestfury
Okay uh, how much time until applications are chosen? I might be able to get my application finished, but if its only 1-2 days, I'll bow out as I really should have got my application finished by now.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:15 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20743
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
Okay uh, how much time until applications are chosen? I might be able to get my application finished, but if its only 1-2 days, I'll bow out as I really should have got my application finished by now.
I believe its today. according to the post, it said: "Choosing Players: 2 weeks from today" which was on 6/25, making 7/9 two weeks out.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 08:33 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
ATurna ATurna
Name: Moira

Race: Human raised by a gnome

Classes: Beguiler 6/Shadowcraft Mage 2(it can be done, trust me)//Snake Charmer Magus 8

Appearance: Moira is a human woman with black short hair and is usually dressed in dark clothes. anything but pompous, the only thing that is characteristic of her is her black gnome hat, as she wears her Mithral Chainshirt below her clothes.

Personality: She is loyal to her gnome family and is a fair manager in the Gnome's Garden. She is speaks little with people she doesn't know and isn't above from being sarcastic sometimes, but she always help those she likes. Specially Pseudodragons as she has a sweet spot for them and specially Jorgelin.

Background: The third of three children, Moira is the daughter of a couple of drug addicts that lived in Old Korvosa. To fund their vices they had to take loans. And to pay their loans and get another fix they sold everything. Their homes. Their tools. Their bodies, as they protituted themselves. And then, they sold their children.

When she was 6, her parents gave her to Romus Fourcloves, an old gnome that felt that sooner or later he and his wife would need some help in his every day life. It was an investment, of course. Not only they had to teach her the gnome language, but also had to adapt their home to the height that a diviner told them she would reach in the future. But every small folk want a big brute as a servant and old Romus was not different in that. In what was different is that he could indulge himself his wish. Once a renown magic user fell in disgrace, Romus followed an ancient arcane tradition not known by many. He and his wife had to survive in the streets of Old Korvosa and then managed to create a small crime syndicate of gnomes and halflings. Together, they aimed to bigger prey, in better parts of the city of Korvosa. A renowned "Don", Romus got rich and older and decided in due time to leave most of the business to his three children and concentrate in taking it easy and enjoy the life of an old and retired mafia boss in South Shore.

Moira had to adapt from the life of a child of drug addicts to the servant of an old gnome. It wasn't easy. While small, they human girl, being a girl, didn't have the focus of an adult. That made her a lousy servant and was hit many times by Romus and his wife Gomia. But as she grew up, the gnome couple could trust in her more and more. The two sons and daughter, Molin, Annama and Barut quickly accepted her as part of their family too. Soon the family begun to treat her more like part of it than a servant. First, she tried to help a pseudodragon that was severely wounded by the imps. Gomia helped her and in a matter of days, the pseudodragon was fully recovered. That created a connection between her and Gomia who alwasys lamented that the pseudodragons could not fly safe anymore in Korvosa. And then, Romus found her trying the hand movements he made when he casted illusions to entertain his grandchildren. He taught her his old arcane tradition of magic and to his surprise, Moira could learn it. First the basics, then more than just that. What was a hobby first, became a self impossed duty for Romus who saw in Moria the opportunity to have a student beyond her children, just when he was a teacher in the second most prestigious magic schools in Korvosa, a lifetime ago.

Moira and Romus biggest and most memorable achievement would come in her late teens in the Breaching Festival of the Acadamae. Cerulean Guildmaster Boule couldn't find anyone in his ranks crazy enough to try the Breaching Festival that year and decided to call for a repaying favor from Romus. He needed someone to break into the Acadamae's Hall of Wards. Molin, Annama and Barut didn't want anything to do with it. They were trying to put the Fourcloves out of crime, investing in real estate and loan companies. Romus had no choice but to select Moira for the job, much to the dismay of Gomia and everyone else. By then, they all had grown fond of the human girl and didn't want anyone to harm her. But Romus was sure that she could achieve it.
Moira entered the competition under the banner of the Cerulean Guild. With the help of some freelance adventurers she could reach the Hall's door, but not enter them. Because in front of her a girl her age appeared.
"Greetings. You have just defeated my sister, Emilia Dujourne, the best student of the Hall of Wards. My name is Candaluvia Dujourne, first of my class and best graduate of not only the Hall of Summoning but also of the whole Acadamae this year. At my side, Glovernus, my imp familiar. You shall address me as everyone does, Perfect Ten. Who are you?"
Moira didn't know what to say. She just look at her side to see Jorgelin, the pseudodragon that she rescued long ago and shrugged. "I am just a shadow."
The girl in front of her just gave her a dismissive smirk. "Well, Shadow... dissapear in my light."
It was not a battle. It was a hunt. The two of them running through the corridors and halls of the now empty Acadamae. Moira injured and tired. Perfect 10 fresh and throwing the thief her best spells. Moira reached the office of Headmaster Ornelos, trying to escape Perfect 10 and her summoned monsters, but then, she found herself trapped in it.
"And so it ends, Shadow... I must congratulate you, of course. I never imagined you would reach this far from me. I know the best students in the Hall of Lies, but you are none of them. Anyway, Shadow... time for you and your cute pseudodragon to die."

Moira stepped back against the library. Jorgelin did too. And then, somehow, by pure chance, the bookshelves moved and formed a door. A door that Moira didn't doubt to enter. She ran, dodging the attacks of Perfect Ten and then she found herself inside a very big room with marble walls. Before her, a group of people stood. If all of them attacked her, then it would really be the end of it.
"No." Moira heard behind her. Perfect 10 was walking now with her eyes wide open. She was not attacking her or Jorgelin.
A woman dressed in white stepped forward to Moria. "I am Sylvia Woldrum, Mistress of the Hall of Wards. And I bow down to you." She did and as she did, Perfect 10 fell on her knees.
"NOOOOO!" Moira heard again behind her. And then, all the people walked away, as they were going to announce that finally, after all those years, the Breaching Festival had a winner. Only the Master of the Hall of Summoning and Toff Ornelos remained. The first, named Barric Chantel was the one who gave Perfect 10 the medal of best graduate of the Hall of Summoning. The second, the headmaster of the Acadamae was the one who gave Perfect 10 the medal of best graduate of the whole Acadamae that year. Perfect 10 looked at them. They looked at her and walked away in a mix of shame, disgust and dissapointment without uttering a word. That was the first time Perfect 10 saw those emotions in anyone's eyes.
"NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !" Candaluvia Dujourne shrieked and chronicles and gossip would later say that the scream broke the painted vitreaux of the Mistress of the Hall of Wards. But that was the last Moria heard from the girl behind her and as she stepped forward into the light of the sun, she didn't care that she practically revealed an affair between Sylvia Woldrum and Toff Ornelos.

It has been years since then. Moira grew practically as family ever since and the children of Romus Fourcloves has long since accepted that some of the inheritance will go to the human young woman in due time. Perhaps when she herself will be old already. With most of the Fourcloves fortune now washed in legal activities, Moira spends her time taking care of the old couple and the remaining shading business, specially the burdello in Old Korvosa, the Gnome's Garden.
She isn't looking for more trouble than the ones that prostitutes, dancers and patrons could bring her. The Catsdew Lofties has tried to make her join the ranks, but she hasn't accepted. Out of the fate of her two brothers, she really doesn't want for anything in the world.

Relationships: Choose at least 3 NPCs to build strong ties to.

The Fourcloves (all 5 of them): Her "family" loves her, as much as a gnome family can love a human woman. All of them care deeply of her although Barut isn't quite happy that his father shared the secrets of his ancient gnome magic to Moira.

The girls of the Gnome's Garden: The four prostitutes and five dancers respect her and obbey her. After all, she has the Gnome Hat of Taskmaster. And in turn, she gives them fair shares and protects them. Everything is happy. Except when the girl need some "friend to talk".

The boys of the Gnome's Garden: The four muscles of the bordello make sure that everyone plays nice. Sometimes they have to play rough themselves with a patron, but Moira tries to quickly defuses any situation with her magic.

Candaluvia Dujourne/Perfect 10/Almost Perfect 10/10-/9: Candaluvia remembers Shadow. And relives her experience with her in her nightmares. Now a strict teacher in the Acadamae, the noble woman is still called Perfect 10... in front of her. At her back, and in the corridors, and even among her sisters, she is now called Almost Perfect 10, 10-, or even 9. Candaluvia summons devils to rip anyone who she hears calling her like that. The main heiress of the Dujourne family has made herself a vow to destroy Shadow in front of whole Korvosa. But she can't be open in her search with it. Otherwise people would see that her life has been marked by the young rogue. And the likes of her would never be bothered by the likes of Shadow. That is why she sends young students to learn anything from Shadow.