DnD5e The Politics of Maturity - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 11:21 PM
Alemar's Avatar
Alemar Alemar is offline
Dread Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 14320
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Posts: 6,976
I'll be 100% honest here, I had actually toyed with the idea of making a Gnomish character at creation too and offering my services up as an indentured servant. As there is a very specific character that I have wanted to create and even have the perfect picture for... But when it comes to people's personal relationships with Slavery and all of the social baggage that it comes into play with (not that I would expect the Player Characters to mistreat a Slave, because we all have the agency to understand that this is a game, that you are a Person behind the keyboard, and that Players deserve to be treated with respect) but the NPC's? They would likely not engage with you at all in conversations, or try to advance any sort of meaningful plot. Because to them you are likely not supposed to be there (Unless you're specifically targeting a Gnomish storyline? Which again, with this type of setting might not be to the tastes of the other players)

The possibility of creating a character I loved, that was not being engaged with appropriately because of a self-imposed handicap scared me away from making that choice. I didn't want for it to become a hinderance to the party, or to effect my own enjoyment of the game negatively. To me: We're playing this game to be the heroes and setting yourself up to be undesired and under utilized is a bold (and likely difficult) take on that goal.

I will say that my first reaction to your proposal is that I don't have a problem with your character being my "Servant". But if you are going to be playing as a Slave/Servant type, I'm not sure they'll let you get away with carrying around visible weapons, or having armor... and it is highly unlikely the guards or denizens of wherever you go will allow you to perform much of your sneaky roguish trickeries as you'll have multiple sets of eyes on you at all times waiting for you to slip up so they can punish you. You will also likely have to play the part of a lesser caste while in public as to not draw any unwanted attention or hostilities to the group as a whole. Which might get tiring for you after a while...

Think about whether you're actually comfortable with setting yourself up for mistreatment (because I wasn't) and if you're still keen on the idea, then I'd say it's probably best to figure out who the other selected characters are going to be and then take it from there. Rather than putting all of your eggs into one basket and then it not being the approved "Master" who gets chosen to play. *shrug*
__________________
We will break away Together... I'll be the Shadow, You'll be the Light. Nothing ever lasts Forever... We will go softly into the Night.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 11:26 PM
Alemar's Avatar
Alemar Alemar is offline
Dread Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 14320
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Posts: 6,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
Good advice. Behold the fruits of my labors!
Looks good it's a bit big for the site, but I'm sure you'll get lots of help refining it down if you want
__________________
We will break away Together... I'll be the Shadow, You'll be the Light. Nothing ever lasts Forever... We will go softly into the Night.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:10 AM
kenneth's Avatar
kenneth kenneth is online now
Gnomish Supremacist
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
I'll be 100% honest here, I had actually toyed with the idea of making a Gnomish character at creation too and offering my services up as an indentured servant. As there is a very specific character that I have wanted to create and even have the perfect picture for... But when it comes to people's personal relationships with Slavery and all of the social baggage that it comes into play with (not that I would expect the Player Characters to mistreat a Slave, because we all have the agency to understand that this is a game, that you are a Person behind the keyboard, and that Players deserve to be treated with respect) but the NPC's? They would likely not engage with you at all in conversations, or try to advance any sort of meaningful plot. Because to them you are likely not supposed to be there (Unless you're specifically targeting a Gnomish storyline? Which again, with this type of setting might not be to the tastes of the other players)

The possibility of creating a character I loved, that was not being engaged with appropriately because of a self-imposed handicap scared me away from making that choice. I didn't want for it to become a hinderance to the party, or to effect my own enjoyment of the game negatively. To me: We're playing this game to be the heroes and setting yourself up to be undesired and under utilized is a bold (and likely difficult) take on that goal.

I will say that my first reaction to your proposal is that I don't have a problem with your character being my "Servant". But if you are going to be playing as a Slave/Servant type, I'm not sure they'll let you get away with carrying around visible weapons, or having armor... and it is highly unlikely the guards or denizens of wherever you go will allow you to perform much of your sneaky roguish trickeries as you'll have multiple sets of eyes on you at all times waiting for you to slip up so they can punish you. You will also likely have to play the part of a lesser caste while in public as to not draw any unwanted attention or hostilities to the group as a whole. Which might get tiring for you after a while...

Think about whether you're actually comfortable with setting yourself up for mistreatment (because I wasn't) and if you're still keen on the idea, then I'd say it's probably best to figure out who the other selected characters are going to be and then take it from there. Rather than putting all of your eggs into one basket and then it not being the approved "Master" who gets chosen to play. *shrug*
Turkic Mamluks (slaves) bore arms. Later on they even ran the country. The status of Scandinavian thralls varied a lot, but many were trusted with arms and some treated like members of the family. It all depends on culture.

As for eyes on me everywhere, most people tend to ignore the underclasses. They only ever notice them when they want something. Shinobi didn't do the majority of their work sneakin' around in the dark in black pajamas. They joined the household staff. Dudes would dress as washer women and get away with it because no one pays attention to the help.

Anyway, you don't seen down with it and I respect that. To be clear, I was more interested in a-friends-from-different-classes relationship than a "Slave! Fetch my underwear!" one. Like Gaston and Lefou or Frodo and Sam. Thanks for the reply all the same.
__________________
If I pee far, its because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
~ Howard Tayler
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:24 AM
kenneth's Avatar
kenneth kenneth is online now
Gnomish Supremacist
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post
Fair enough. Oh, also, remember you'll have a Suppression Collar implanted on your neck that will prevent the use of magic. So you'll either need to play a non-magic class or be prepared to be seriously nerfed until/unless someone deals with the collar.
Yup. Was planning on a rogue/fighter or a ranger or some such. Magic is for the weak.

I'll give it a few days and see if I get any bites. If not, I'm makin' a bard.
__________________
If I pee far, its because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
~ Howard Tayler
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 01:27 AM
arin12's Avatar
arin12 arin12 is online now
Now With Kung Fu Grip!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Posts: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Turkic Mamluks (slaves) bore arms. Later on they even ran the country.
Since you guys are dancing around the "how bad are we talkin'" when it comes to gnomes, I suppose I should speak to it a bit. Your Mileage May Vary from one NPC to the next, of course, but generally speaking, the reality in the area you'll be starting in is somewhat in between the two extremes you guys are describing. No one would think much about a gnome in armor, aside from it being something of an oddity, but there would definitely be reservations about any gnome being allowed to be armed. It is fairly common knowledge that the gnomes "sinned" somehow to gain their enslaved status (although the details have been lost to history), and so the general take on them as untrustworthy and impudent is pretty well ingrained in the populous.

As such, while most people wouldn't bother paying much attention to a gnome that was within sight of their owner, an unattended gnome would definitely be considered unusual, and it would be assumed by most that they must inherently be up to no good.

Of course, prejudice only goes so far when you get to know people, and it is fairly common for relationships between gnomes and their owners to become cordial or even friendly, especially over multiple generations. A certain amount of that is tolerated, but it can be disdainful or even criminal to get too "gnome happy". Not that that stops everyone. There are even rumors of an underground that participates in the liberation of gnomish slaves, slipping them across the border to Esternesse where they are considered a free people by right, but the legal risks to both the gnomes and their allies are severe.

I will spill the beans just a tiny bit and acknowledge that none of this is supposed to be relevant to the introductory adventure, but you lot do have an interesting way of deciding on your own what is and isn't relevant in general.
__________________
Hope you're having fun!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 01:33 AM
Aisede Aisede is offline
A Seed of Potential ~
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
Posts: 266
The story is built around the characters, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 01:46 AM
Aisede Aisede is offline
A Seed of Potential ~
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Yup. Was planning on a rogue/fighter or a ranger or some such. Magic is for the weak.

I'll give it a few days and see if I get any bites. If not, I'm makin' a bard.
If you like, we could link our characters through some backstory. In my game with Bananabadger, Abigail had befriended an unusually friendly goblin, and even learned his language. She's very open-minded and beleives all life is sacred (as death makes all beings equal). If she had bumped into him at some point– whether he was advertising his services or not –if she perceived him to be in need in some way, and learned he was without a master, she would be more than happy to take "ownership" of him if it means making his life a little easier. She lacks the context to make major societal changes, and is aware enough of the people around her to know someone of her age and status probably couldn't change their minds, but Abby would 110% be on the side of gnome freedoms, even if it means granting dubious freedom to a single gnome she accompanies.

Maybe she asked him if he wanted to visit Peyxe, and promised that, while they're there, they can do whatever he wants? She wants to see the Crypts, of course, but at such a major settlement, there'd bound to be other events going on.

Btw, @Arin12, just how common knowledge is this gnome smuggling? I'm just going to assume Abigail wouldn't be aware of such a thing unless she happened to see it in action– of course, unintentionally.

Last edited by Aisede; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 02:26 AM
penbeast0's Avatar
penbeast0 penbeast0 is offline
Mutt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Posts: 7,343
Shell Game
right-aligned image


Name: BANNERJE PANDAVA

Race: TORTLE

Class: SWASHBUCKLER

Alignment: NEUTRAL GOOD



 



 




APPEARANCE: Bannerje is a tortle, that's what people see first. Unless you have a lot of experience with tortles, that's all many people see, just a guy in a shell. But, once you get to know him, Bannerje is powerful but clumsy, shy but a smart ass, observant but naive, likeable but definitely a commoner. Despite his strength, he carries a rapier and assorted daggers. He wears loose robes and a turban, usually in his family's color of Lapiz Lazuli.


BACKGROUND: Bannerje was the rare child in his village of fishermen that had the wanderlust. One would think he would run away to be a sailor and growing up that had been his childhood dream. However, one night a Khajit caravan stayed overnight in the local inn. During that night, bandits gathered to ambush the caravan but Bannerje had been hanging about with the traveling Khajits, listening to their stories of far lands and great cities. On a trip outside to use the trench, in the dark of the early morning, Bannerje noticed something off. Coming back to the inn, he saw that several other "guests" were only pretending to sleep. Using a strategim of seeming to trip over a bench, he awakened the inn and a quick shout warned the caravan before the bandits were ready. After the fight, they invited him to come along as a guard. To make the story shorter, he did.


RP SAMPLE: Bannerje's turn. He had been running over the story in his head trying to work out how to do it and sort of not listening to the previous story. He took a breath and started:

"Well, we had this bugbear guard. He had a name . . . "

"Not good enough. Stand up and put some drama into it, some flair, sell it!"

That was Arin the caravan boss. Okay, he had this. He stood up, straightened his back, put one foot up like a pirate captain at a bar, and took a deep breath.

[SAY]I'm Bannerje Pandava. I can outrun a snow leopard, outroar a bull elephant. I can wrestle an angry water buffalo, outswim a crocodile, and now, I am going to prove that I can entertain like a beggar's capuchin monkey."

He capered awkwardly, gave a big grin, took a swig of his mug, and went on.

""On my last trip, we had this bugbear. He had a name I'm sure but everyone just called him Handsy because he had the longest arms and biggest hands you've ever seen, like they belonged to someone 12 feet tall. Nice guy, always making jokes, loved taverns, but what he really liked to do was sing karaoke. I mean any bar with an open stage night and quite a few without one, he would just step up and start singing. And he was good, too. Like Bard level good, he had this deep bass voice with lots of feeling, I've seen drow cry during one of his songs.

Well, any case, we had this problem one night. A bear was sniffing around our camp, looking to steal some food and Handsy had to kill it. And then, just as this huge hairy body stopped twitching, two little baby bears staggered out of the bushes and started nosing at the corpse of their mother. Handsy was mortified. Then, later that same trip, a stone giant attacked the caravan and while we all fought, Handsy was the one that delivered the killing blow. When we searched the area, we found a cave and there was a stone cradle with a baby stone giant, not even weaned yet, and Handsy had killed his mother. You could laugh at the coincidence but you could see it really bothered the big furball. So, the next time the caravan was attacked, by skeleton archers, Handsy just grabbed first one, then a second, in a big bugbear hug and wouldn't let go. Wasn't beating on them, though they were beating at him, just held them until someone else came by and smashed their skulls.

I asked him later what he had been thinking. He said he was afraid that if he killed them, little baby skeletons would inevitably pop up, crying little dry dusty tears for their dead momma. And you know what, I wouldn't have been surprised if he were right."



Last edited by penbeast0; Jul 5th, 2024 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 03:04 AM
kenneth's Avatar
kenneth kenneth is online now
Gnomish Supremacist
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post
Since you guys are dancing around the "how bad are we talkin'" when it comes to gnomes, I suppose I should speak to it a bit. Your Mileage May Vary from one NPC to the next, of course, but generally speaking, the reality in the area you'll be starting in is somewhat in between the two extremes you guys are describing. No one would think much about a gnome in armor, aside from it being something of an oddity, but there would definitely be reservations about any gnome being allowed to be armed. It is fairly common knowledge that the gnomes "sinned" somehow to gain their enslaved status (although the details have been lost to history), and so the general take on them as untrustworthy and impudent is pretty well ingrained in the populous.

As such, while most people wouldn't bother paying much attention to a gnome that was within sight of their owner, an unattended gnome would definitely be considered unusual, and it would be assumed by most that they must inherently be up to no good.

Of course, prejudice only goes so far when you get to know people, and it is fairly common for relationships between gnomes and their owners to become cordial or even friendly, especially over multiple generations. A certain amount of that is tolerated, but it can be disdainful or even criminal to get too "gnome happy". Not that that stops everyone. There are even rumors of an underground that participates in the liberation of gnomish slaves, slipping them across the border to Esternesse where they are considered a free people by right, but the legal risks to both the gnomes and their allies are severe.

I will spill the beans just a tiny bit and acknowledge that none of this is supposed to be relevant to the introductory adventure, but you lot do have an interesting way of deciding on your own what is and isn't relevant in general.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
If she had bumped into him at some point whether he was advertising his services or not if she perceived him to be in need in some way, and learned he was without a master, she would be more than happy to take "ownership" of him if it means making his life a little easier.
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be looking for employment or a master. You'd have to have bought or inherited him, assuming I understand the gnomish people's predicament.
__________________
If I pee far, its because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
~ Howard Tayler
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 03:11 AM
penbeast0's Avatar
penbeast0 penbeast0 is offline
Mutt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Posts: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Yup. Was planning on a rogue/fighter or a ranger or some such. Magic is for the weak.

I'll give it a few days and see if I get any bites. If not, I'm makin' a bard.
Ooh, gnomish mastermind slave. Appearing a humble, unassuming slave but through cunning, trickery, blackmail, and/or a genius for knowing what will sell, has become invaluable to the caravan master who counts on his advice in making all key decisions for the company. Gnomes are smart that way!

Last edited by penbeast0; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 03:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 03:20 AM
kenneth's Avatar
kenneth kenneth is online now
Gnomish Supremacist
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Ooh, gnomish mastermind slave. Appearing a humble, unassuming slave but through cunning, trickery, blackmail, and/or a genius for knowing what will sell, has become invaluable to the caravan master who counts on his advice in making all key decisions for the company. Gnomes are smart that way!
Muhahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!





Dammit.
__________________
If I pee far, its because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
~ Howard Tayler
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:17 AM
Ermine Ermine is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Posts: 2,863
Penbeast? Did you...did you make a ninja turtle?

Also, consideting interest. I'm not big on 5e anymore, and have little interest in 5.5e, but I might make an exception for this.

Last edited by Ermine; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:23 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 10978
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 5,454
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Ophelus Light-Heart
Race: Loxodon
Class: Druid 3 (Circle of Stars)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Sage (Astronomer)

Traits: I often get lost in my own thoughts, becoming oblivious to my surroundings. I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Ideal: Charity. I try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost. (Good)
Bond: My life's work is a series of tomes related to astronomy and I hope to share it as a tome of knowledge with the world someday.
Flaw: I have a tendency to look up more than ahead, and for that reason I don't always seem like I'm paying attention to others.

Appearance:
Opehlus is a talle, stocky gray-skinned humanoid with the head of an elephant. He stands a good foot taller than most men, and appears to weigh almost twice as much as a normal man. On his forehead, ears, trunk, arms, large belly and legs you can see bronze-colored tattoos of astronomical signs and formulae adorning his body. He stands slightly stoop shouldered and is heavy limbed, and over his bare chest he wears a variety of different carved wooden necklaces. He wears a carved wooden bracer on each arm, and around his waist is a thick leather belt that holds his multicolored kilt in place. A scimitar hangs at his waist, and on his left arm is a wooden shield with what appears to be a constellation carved into it.

Personality:
Gentle, kind, and composed, Ophelus is one that you would never believe could lose his temper. He is soft spoken and quiet, slow and methodical in his actions, and always seems to treat others with kindness and respect. He has a childlike curiosity about the world and the universe in particular, and he can stare for hours into the heavens at night in awe and wonder. Ophelus enjoys helping others and dedicates much of his time and finances to doing so, being content with having little. He has a soft spot for children and enjoys interacting with them, sometimes allowing the younger ones to swing from his trunk. He enjoys teaching others but not in the typical manner - he likes asking questions to inspire others to seek an answer and let them find the answers they seek themselves. He can seem a bit preoccupied at times which can be off-putting to those not used to his manner, but Ophelus is a loyal and loving friend who will stand by those in their time of need no matter what. He has a deep passion for astronomy and is currently working on a tome of his own on a subject he dubs "theoretical astronomy" - he is frustrated however because no one else but he seems to understand it. Ophelus genuinely believes there is a grand cosmic plan for every being, himself included, and it is through beneficial contacts that the plan can end up with a positive resolution rather than a negative one.

 


 

__________________
02/26/24 - New position and personal real estate work is keeping me busy, please PM me if I am running behind.

Last edited by Grouchy; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:32 AM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 7022
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,428
Application
left-aligned image
Darvin The Dim, Human Paladin

Description: Darvin is a human male standing a bit under six feet in height and weighing about a hundred eighty-five pounds. Athletic build beneath slinky armor. He wields a magical longsword and a shield, a quiver of javelins gracing broad back. He maintains medium blonde hair, well-groomed, and he’s always clean-shaven, in accordance with his paladinic code. He earned his deprecative name as his player dump-stats his intelligence, yielding him dim-witted and dull. But Darvin is also strong and brave! His cautionary and sometimes-entertaining tales of battles-past lending positive boost to friends when needed. Emerald eyes convey a stoic air of wariness - or a wary air of stoicism, if you prefer.

right-aligned image
Darvin lives honorably in accordance with a paladinic code of conduct. He believes himself tied to a high calling, as a paladin, and destined for greatness.

Darvin is sincere, sometimes stubborn, and he never breaks a promise.

Background: Darvin was born a bit slower, cognitively speaking, than your average emerald-eyed fellow. Coming of age, he pledged fealty to his liege, just as his father did, and his father before him. But his weakness shined through, and he was duly dubbed Darvin The Dim.

While out on patrol with fellow knights, our dim-witted fellow’s company was assailed by villainous goblinkin! Unable to overcome monstrous ambush, Darvin’s contingent had to make hasty retreat. But our dim-witted fellow stayed, fighting bravely against great opposition. A mistake, for that Darvin was waylaid and brought low. Losing consciousness, he managed but to see a faceless fellow fending off what would have been the killing blow. A mysterious savior, fending off the final goblin, the villain’s dagger dropping to forested ground. Later coming to, Darvin retrieved the dagger of his fallen foe, a memento of memorable event. And our dim-witted fellow has never forgotten the mysterious stranger who saved his life. To this day, Darvin has sworn solemn oath, never leave a friend behind.

Now coming forth to pledge kind devotion once more, Darvin hopes to align paladinic self worth like-minded folk. And so Darvin’s adventure begins!

RP Sample:
The Paladinic CodeThe Paladinic Code
I will protect the people, live fairly, and honor just-authority in all my dealings.
I will not lie or cheat, and will show mercy tempered with wisdom.
I will always present myself clean-shaven and well-groomed.
I will never own more than I can carry.
I will do well for those in need, and I will never refuse aid to the weak and the helpless.
__________________
Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Geldar; Jul 5th, 2024 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:37 AM
Nasrith's Avatar
Nasrith Nasrith is offline
Creature of the Deep
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 12543
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Posts: 6,715
Fidgred Hillbuckle
right-aligned image
Name: Fidgred Hillbuckle - goes by Fidge

Race: Male Hill Dwarf
Age: 36
Class: Mastermind Rogue
Alignment: Lawful Good
  • Background Archetype Investigator (Guide to Ravenloft)
  • Personality Trait 1: I roll my own cigars and am usually smoking one.
  • Personality Trait 2: I have a begrudging soft spot for those that can't defend themselves.
  • Ideal: Justice - Dangerous criminals deserve to be removed from society.
  • Bond: The case I'm on right now is capital I Important. People could get hurt if I don't solve it.
  • Flaw: I can read a room and read a face, but I couldn't charm a witness to save my life.

Starting Equipment: A Cloak of Protection if our party needs tanks, or a Medallion of Thoughts if it doesn't. Having a thought detecting item seems like a perfect way to make up for his poor charisma score in interrogation scenarios (spoiler - it's gonna be the 7).


 


 


 


Other relevant info about Fidge: I imagine Fidge making a deal with the tavern keeper. While he hasn't heard any rumors specific to Fidge's request, he agrees to keep an ear to the ground in exchange for the dwarf accompanying his young son on the pilgrimage. I didn't want to go quite that far in the RP example because I wasn't sure where we'd be starting in game.

Separately, and this is more for you, arin12, I'm completely open to changing the nature of his investigation. If you instead want to use it as a plot device where he's been hired to look into the vague notes of political intrigue mentioned in the game advert, I'm down for that.
__________________
See a great post? Submit it to the PoTM competition!

Last edited by Nasrith; Jul 5th, 2024 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB