Raixora ShulmenRace: Amethyst Dragonborn
right-aligned image

Class: Oath of Ancients Paladin 3
Background: Gambler
Alignment: Neutral Good

High Stat: Charisma
Low Stat: Wisdom

Personality Traits:
Nothing is certain. Planning is a coward's act.
I have beaten my addiction, but all it takes is one weak moment and I’ll be back at the card table.
Ideal: Knowledge. Knowledge is power, and knowing which horse to back is the key to success.
Bond: The person who saved me from my gambling addiction is the only reason I’m alive today.
Flaw: People always assume I'm cheating. Maybe I am?

Appearance: People often mistake Raixora for a man. She hates that. But her features are not feminine for humans or other non-dragonborn. Dragonborn do notice her more feminine features, thankfully. Her purple scales are somewhat translucent, like an amethyst. Her eyes are black, and, like most dragonborn, she has no hair. Her tail is long, with latger, jagged scales near the tip, and her body is usually hidden in armor. While she has a shield, she rarely uses it, since she also carries a greatsword.

Background: Raixora was the first to hatch in a clutch of a dozen. Since then, she has been ever the big sister: she mediated fights, she took care of her "younger" clutchmates, and she always took the fall for her family's mistakes. She also had the "luxury" of being the primary breadwinner for her family, given her parents' fairly gruesome injuries from their final jobs, doing anything she could to make money. She tried to stay on the right side of the law, but that was not always an option, though she was never caught. The guilt weighed on her heavily, however, and she always made amends anonymously.

Raixora's worst habit was always her gambling. She was good at it, true, but that didn't make her any better off most of the time, as people accused her of cheating and she'd be dragged off and beaten. She didn't usually cheat, but again, she was not always in the right.

She did forage for her family when they couldn't afford food. Usually mushrooms and edible weeds, with the occasional elk or rabbit, though she'd always clean it where nobles wouldn't see it and accuse her of poaching. She can make a passable stew with the right scraps.

Raixora is serious most of the time, but has a soft spot where her heart should be. That soft spot is reserved for children and the downtrodden, and them alone. She has no qualms with the nobles, but does wish they understood the plight of the poor.

One day, she hopes to start a revolution. Today is not that day. One day, though, she will be the light in people's lives, she just knows it.

She is a native of South Peyxe, though it is not something she openly admits to strangers. She carries the air of a traveler, and is attending the festival to see what beauty it could have.

RP Sample: The carriage halted after her employer's joke and tap on the window. And then he had the nerve to ask her what funny things occurred in her previous jobs! That was private information between her and her previous employers! So she made something up, something she thought was befitting her oath.

"I was a bodyguard, right? Same as I am for you. But this guy, he was maybe 7 feet tall, and all muscle. What did he need me for, right? So here he is, this mountain of a man, scared of his own shadow. And little ol' me, well...as you can see, I'm not that little, but compared to him..."

She had to hesitate a second, as she didn't have the whole story planned out from the beginning. She passed it off as a gauge of her current employer's interest. "So he's walking down the street, looking around every corner. I tell him that's my job, right? So he tenses up, but lets me do the job he hired me to do, and he, well..."

She pauses again, unsure where to go with her story. "Okay, so he's all tense and I'm looking around. But I miss this little girl who comes running up behind us and asks if we're here for something, I forget what. Man damn near pisses himself out of shock! Like this is just a kid. Tiny thing. And this man was scared half to death!" She says, hoping that it's enough that her employer lets her off the hook for more storytelling.
Tenets of the AncientsKindle the Light. Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.

Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can't preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.
Next Level FeatGift of the Gem Dragon OR a setting-specific variant of Initiate of High Sorcery
Player BioHi, I'm Alice (she/her). I've been RPing since I was 10 (well...with systems, that is, starting with 1st edition) in 97/98ish. I mostly play Pathfinder these days, both 1st and 2nd editions, but I dabble in 5e at times. I make a LOT of (too much) homebrew for all the systems I use (except FATE, which is basically homebrewing already). Sometimes I wish I could use my homebrew...

Last edited by Ermine; Jul 4th, 2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:11 AM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Penbeast? Did you...did you make a ninja turtle?

Also, consideting interest. I'm not big on 5e anymore, and have little interest in 5.5e, but I might make an exception for this.

left-aligned image

Different Generation:

Last edited by penbeast0; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Basically the same thing. Just less angsty and with less pizza.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:22 AM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
And Dum-Dum, his faithful canine companion. Lots more swinging on conveniently placed ropes and vines too.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 01:30 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
Sounds like an adventure
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:43 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Main post has been updated with a skim review of all the applications to date. 13 potentials, this isn't going to be an easy choice.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
My app should be done. Can't link my sheet until I have my stat rolls (I'm using DnDBeyond). But everything else should be good.

Last edited by Ermine; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:34 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12543
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post
Application Initial Skim as of 7/2/24 10:40 PM American EST
Player NameCharacter NameClass(es)RaceBasic BioRP SampleOverall StatusNotes
NasrithFidgred HillbuckleRogueDwarfDoneFailedNot DoneDidn't follow directions on RP Sample
Hah, oops. I read the "Let's suppose that," as "This is an example of what you could do your RP sample." Didn't realize that was the specific prompt you wanted us to respond to.

I'll get that rewritten.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:46 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RP sample: Not Done? That's a pretty average post length where I come from, with room for input from others. Well, I guess there won't be input here, but that's the presumption from any regular post.

I also don't understand what you mean by "put bio under RP sample". Are you saying to put the bio directly under that field?

Last edited by Aisede; Jul 2nd, 2024 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:54 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
My app should be done. Can't link my sheet until I have my stat rolls (I'm using DnDBeyond). But everything else should be good.
Yup! Looks good on skim. I'll formally update the chart to that effect on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
Hah, oops. I read the "Let's suppose that," as "This is an example of what you could do your RP sample." Didn't realize that was the specific prompt you wanted us to respond to.

I'll get that rewritten.
No worries, it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
RP sample: Not Done? That's a pretty average post length where I come from, with room for input from others. Well, I guess there won't be input here, but that's the presumption from any regular post.

I also don't understand what you mean by "put bio under RP sample". Are you saying to put the bio directly under that field?
Your RP sample is not an RP sample; it is a description of your character history, colloquially referred to as the character's bio. You should put that in a heading under "Character Bio".

Under "RP Sample" you should specifically show me what you would post in a game thread in response to the prompt I put in the initial post.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:57 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Under "RP Sample" you should specifically show me what you would post in a game thread in response to the prompt I put in the initial post.
I thought one of the options was to come up with something of our own?
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Yup! Looks good on skim. I'll formally update the chart to that effect on Thursday.
Woo~
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:09 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I thought one of the options was to come up with something of our own?
Here's the relevant part of the initial post:
Quote:
RP Sample: Let's suppose that, prior to arriving in North Peyxe for the festival, you were hired by one of the merchants to keep their wares safe during the trip. Around the campfire one evening, said merchant asked you to describe something funny that happened to you on a previous job. Post your response. (This is for sample purposes only, you are free to develop other reasons for coming to the festival in your actual backgrounds.)
I really don't see how that paragraph is open to multiple interpretations, but I suppose that's just me being too close to it. So to restate it more plainly: I'm not holding anyone to what they write here, you can make up a response that's out of character for your character or contains information that is non-canonical, because the point is just to get a feel for your roleplaying style. But I do want a response to this prompt in particular - no, there is no room to come up with anything else, frankly because I want to make sure I'm getting something freshly typed and not a cut and paste of something that was written years ago for another app. Not necessarily an issue in your case, but the rule was designed with everyone in mind.

In any case, here's what's on your app right now:

Quote:
RP Sample: Abigail West had spent a good portion of her life around people, assisting them in various ways; she would revitalize sick farm animals, tend to wounds serious and superficial, and on occasion act as a guide through the woodlands she called home. Some might struggle to understand how she can live someplace settled humans perceive as inhospitable, but to her, it provides all the shelter she needs. The food... Well, she never learned how to make cheese, so some things require a visit to civilization.

This is one of those occasions.

Perched upon a barrel, and overlooking what she assumes to be thoroughfare, she examines the goings ons of the people of Peyxe (is it Pie-yee or Pay-x-E? They should really keep it simple with the wording). She had heard stories in passing, and gleaned more information through conversation. The "Olde Crypts", they called it. She was instantly hooked by the concept, and knew this is one landmark she had to visit. So here she is, watching, waiting, and listening for her opportunity. She's also watching out for anybody who may be in need, studying the expressions and body language of those around her, albeit passively. Politely.
The entire first paragraph is in the past tense, and to be honest, I didn't much make it past there, because I guess what's really missing from the app is any kind of character bio and I assumed that that was what I was looking at. (The hypocrisy in me calling out nuance on you guys while only doing a skim myself is not lost on me, but a certain amount of hypocrisy gets to fly in a DM's market.)

Now that I take a closer look, it is apparently a roleplay post, but there's no dialogue in it (one of the key reasons my prompt is set up the way it is is to require dialogue) and no, alternate samples don't interest me.

Please include a sample response to the prompt provided.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:35 AM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
. Please include a sample response to the prompt provided.
It is done. And to clarify, I had assumed the prompt was optional, and we could invent our own context. With better understanding I've tailored something I beleive should fit a character such as Abigail. Do tell if the response is inappropriate.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 01:06 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
It is done. And to clarify, I had assumed the prompt was optional, and we could invent our own context. With better understanding I've tailored something I beleive should fit a character such as Abigail. Do tell if the response is inappropriate.
I'd flesh out the bio a little bit since that wasn't originally intended to be one, but that RP sample is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.