twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 05:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Can we use feats from the Dragonlance setting? Specifically Initiate of High Sorcery and Adept of the White/Red/Black Robes? Obviously not right now since we don't have extra feats lying around, but for next and future levels?

Last edited by Ermine; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 05:23 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:10 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Can we use feats from the Dragonlance setting? Specifically Initiate of High Sorcery and Adept of the White/Red/Black Robes? Obviously not right now since we don't have extra feats lying around, but for next and future levels?
Well, Initiate of High Sorcery would need to be heavily modified. The campaign world in question has only two moons, Goed and Kwaad, and I'd need to put some thought into flavoring the spells granted based on their influence over the planet's ley lines, which are believed to be the actual source of magic (unlike on Krynn, where my understanding is that the moons are the actual source). Also, just as a matter of lore, an alternate method of learning how to tap into that power would have to be discerned, since there's no such thing as "The Mages of High Sorcery".

For the other, I looked at Adept of the White Robes for example purposes. I see they build on the moon choice in the prior feat, so obviously my version would only have two possibilities, which I'd call Adept of Goed and Adept of Kwaad until I came up with a better name for them. Two customized sets of abilities would have to be negotiated, although the general flavor (spell from one of two schools + a perk power) seem balanced enough to go with in general.

TL;DR I'm open to it, but a lot of negotiation would be required and I can't guarantee you'd be happy.

Last edited by arin12; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'll probably be happy; I just want a very magic-oriented paladin. I'd just have to switch to the character sheet on this site (which isn't a big deal).

Also, that's a lot of stuff to read. O//O I know you were only referencing part of it, but I kinda wanna learn it all.

Last edited by Ermine; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:41 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
I'll probably be happy; I just want a very magic-oriented paladin. I'd just have to switch to the character sheet on this site (which isn't a big deal).

Also, that's a lot of stuff to read. O//O I know you were only referencing part of it, but I kinda wanna learn it all.
It'll be reposted to our game thread once I pick folk. Same world, so same lore.

I don't expect anyone to learn it chapter and verse, but it is important to have there for reference and I do expect people to skim it when they're making any posts that rely on world mechanics or structure. IE if someone wants to reference a deity or a date of the week, they should be able to remember that those things are customized and go look at the thread for an appropriate one rather than just leaning back on the Forgotten Realms or, worse, on RL Earth lore.

I do also give people more in secret text when appropriate. IE if that gnome character got approved, then I'd have to give them a little more detail on the past from the gnomish perspective, because their oral tradition passes down more than is generally known. I'd also have to give more information about a deity to someone who chooses to worship one, etc.

In any case, like I said, I'm open-minded to the concepts, if not the details.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:58 AM
Dread Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14320
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
Hah, oops. I read the "Let's suppose that," as "This is an example of what you could do your RP sample." Didn't realize that was the specific prompt you wanted us to respond to.

I'll get that rewritten.
I'm pretty sure that requirement was a late addition, as most people who had their RP Samples completed "didn't follow RP direction" either... So I'll just go ahead and fix mine up too
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:02 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12543
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
RP post rewritten! And I would just like to point out... Fidge is not a charismatic dude. The story is supposed to be not particularly funny.

Don't @ me.

arin12, do you also want a description/personality/background? I tried to do my best incorporating enough of all three into the RP sample, but can write other blocks separately as needed.

Last edited by Nasrith; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:11 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
I'm pretty sure that requirement was a late addition, as most people who had their RP Samples completed "didn't follow RP direction" either... So I'll just go ahead and fix mine up too
Why would you? If you think I'm the kind of DM that would slip in "gotcha" stuff like that and pass it off as original fact, well... I sure as heck wouldn't want to play under a DM who did that kinda thing. This application process is a two-way street, you guys are also evaluating me as someone to play under.

That in mind, let me make three things abundantly clear:

1) It was not a late addition. If you need an admin to come in and look at the post history to confirm that, that can be arranged, but the language regarding the RP sample in the post is identical to the language that was there when the post was first submitted.

2) "Two other people screwed up so it must have been DM shenanigans" is an unbelievably flawed piece of logic. At "worst" it suggests my wording was too ambiguous or unclear. More likely, multiple people just didn't read it. You obviously didn't, since you can't even be sure it was there the first time you looked. And y'know what? It didn't have to be a big deal. RP Samples are pretty standardized in general, not catching the nuance of mine may be a bit of a yellow flag but it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker and if anything, it's just a nice way for people playing under me for the first time to learn that a little extra effort to catch nuance in my posts is often required. Better to learn it at the application stage and not after missing a key detail in an IC life-or-death situation.

3) I'm not interested in playing with someone that questions my integrity. You are no longer under consideration to play in this game.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:34 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
RP post rewritten! And I would just like to point out... Fidge is not a charismatic dude. The story is supposed to be not particularly funny.

Don't @ me.

arin12, do you also want a description/personality/background? I tried to do my best incorporating enough of all three into the RP sample, but can write other blocks separately as needed.
Description and personality aren't required, but you're welcome to add anything you want if you feel it makes your application stronger. Just try to keep the whole shebang under 50,000 words.

Background (the general concept, not the 5E mechanic) is essentially the same as Character Bio... which it seems I actually did not ask for in my original post, shame on me (see, it's not hard for me to take accountability when it actually is my mess up), but yes, I would like at least a brief one.

EDIT: Oh, and it's perfectly fine (even, one might say, pretty cool?) that your character's IC reaction to the question wasn't necessarily "perfect". The requirement was just to respond to the situation, not to get it "right" in any way.

Last edited by arin12; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:51 AM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
TMPT?
Trying to figure out the P. Probably a typo and meant to be an N but more fun to come up with disturbed alternative explanations.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Maybe pirate?
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:55 AM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post
has only two moons
>_> ICan you elaborate a little more on the setting? I'm not too sure how this stuff works, but knowing there's more than one moon is something I feel I should have known earlier. Well... It's not exactly relevant, not immidiately, but still something of note.

Quote:
Oh, and it's perfectly fine (even, one might say, pretty cool?) that your character's IC reaction to the question wasn't necessarily "perfect". The requirement was just to respond to the situation, not to get it "right" in any way
Haha, yeah, some people don't always have the answers. And it's important to note character are people, in some form or fashion. One of the earliest things I ever learned when I began roleplaying is that a character without flaws is a character without room to grow.

Quote:
Goed and Kwaad, and I'd need to put some thought into flavoring the spells granted based on their influence over the planet's ley lines, which are believed to be the actual source of magic
That reminds me, what about divine magic? Are there gods in this world? If so, who are they, and how do they differ from the more recognizable pantheons? (I only possess a basic awareness that there are gods in D&D, so figuring out new ones won't have much of an effect on me.)

EDIT: nvm, I clicked on the link and discovered the general information section.

Last edited by Aisede; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:00 PM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
>_> ICan you elaborate a little more on the setting? I'm not too sure how this stuff works, but knowing there's more than one moon is something I feel I should have known earlier. Well... It's not exactly relevant, not immidiately, but still something of note.

Haha, yeah, some people don't always have the answers. And it's important to note character are people, in some form or fashion. One of the earliest things I ever learned when I began roleplaying is that a character without flaws is a character without room to grow.

That reminds me, what about divine magic? Are there gods in this world? If so, who are they, and how do they differ from the more recognizable pantheons? (I only possess a basic awareness that there are gods in D&D, so figuring out new ones won't have much of an effect on me.)

EDIT: nvm, I clicked on the link and discovered the general information section.
Does that mean moon druids have split personalities . . . I mean even more than they already do with the wildshapes?

Last edited by penbeast0; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:30 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
Is Peyxe located within the country of Zhanniqua?
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:51 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Is Peyxe located within the country of Zhanniqua?
Yup. I'm at work so I don't have my map handy at the moment, but I believe it's bordering Eastvale and Alinshir Counties. I don't expect you to have to worry about details like that before being accepted, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Does that mean moon druids have split personalities . . . I mean even more than they already do with the wildshapes?
It can mean that Goedian Moon Druids and Kwaadian Moon Druids function a bit differently, in terms of flavor and style. We can discuss upon acceptance.

Quote:
It's not important at this stage, but yes, we'll definitely go over that sort of thing after characters are accepted.

Quote:

Well, like I said, don't worry about it at this juncture. But on the flipside, do feel free to use it if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Trying to figure out the P. Probably a typo and meant to be an N but more fun to come up with disturbed alternative explanations.
It was, in fact, Pirate. Teenage Mutant Pirate Tortle, although you didn't declare an age so I'm not sure about the first part. But it was amusing in my head.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10978
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Ophelus Light-Heart is now complete.