twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 01:51 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede

Last edited by Aisede; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 02:11 PM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post

It was, in fact, Pirate. Teenage Mutant Pirate Tortle, although you didn't declare an age so I'm not sure about the first part. But it was amusing in my head.

Thought about Pirate but trying my best for a good guy vibe for this personality, so went Folk Hero instead.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 02:15 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Thought about Pirate but trying my best for a good guy vibe for this personality, so went Folk Hero instead.
I object to the characterization that a Pirate background precludes a good alignment. For supporting documentation, I point you to the Disney Afternoon's Tailspin show, particularly the character of Kit Cloudkicker, who was an air pirate for a year before defecting and turning over a new leaf.

Seriously though, I'm good either way, present what feels right to you.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 02:49 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa
One piece!
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 03:33 PM
Dread Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14320
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
3) I'm not interested in playing with someone that questions my integrity. You are no longer under consideration to play in this game.
I understand, and I apologize as that was not the way I had intended my words to be received. I had meant that possibly the RP Sample requirements had changed and you wanted to let the players know so they could complete the field properly. And the fact that 10 out of the 13 applicants had been marked as failed for that RP Section when I went back to re-read it made me wonder if that was indeed the case. It is my fault for not thinking about how my words would be received before I typed them, for not being clear on my true meaning, and for my poor choice of words. For that I am sorry. Thank you for letting me know that I am no longer being considered, and I hope you all have a great game.

Last edited by Alemar; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarifying thoughts
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 04:44 PM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
I object to the characterization that a Pirate background precludes a good alignment. For supporting documentation, I point you to the Disney Afternoon's Tailspin show, particularly the character of Kit Cloudkicker, who was an air pirate for a year before defecting and turning over a new leaf.

Seriously though, I'm good either way, present what feels right to you.
“The code is more what you'd call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.”
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 06:11 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3318
Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool
Craw is complete.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 06:44 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 09:58 PM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Silly question: do you prefer posts be first person or third person and do you prefer present or past tense?

These things keep me up at night.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:30 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Silly question: do you prefer posts be first person or third person and do you prefer present or past tense?

These things keep me up at night.
When I post, both as a DM and as a player myself, I always use third person and I usually match the group majority in terms of present/past, though I default to present.

I don't have any particular preferences for players, as long as posts are internally consistent. Tense and person changes within the same post are definitely a pet peeve of mine.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:26 PM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Sir Aethor Valour Vilkagar, OOS
right-aligned image
Name: Sir Aethor Valour Vilkagar, Order of the Old Stones, Heir to Lord Voxus Meagor Vilkagar

Class: Fighter 3 Fighting Style: Archery; Archetype: Battlemaster: (Precision Attack, Riposte, Trip Attack)

Race: Human (variant: +1 to two stats, gain one skill, gain one feat)

Alignment: Neutral - Aethor is a little too selfish to be truly "good" but he does try to do right. As for the rules, they are often written by the people in power to keep themselves in power. With his primary goal in life being to provide for his family, the rules often get in the way.

Description: A man of twenty-five, Aethor is dark of hair and eye. While his default expression is somewhat grim, he's not without a sense of humor, especially with regards to his current situation. He's tall and lean with strong, masculine features. His resonant baritone is arresting should he raise it, as many on and off of the battlefield can attest. Much like his father, his beard grows thick when he deigns to grow it out and colors his chin after only a handful of hours after a shave.

His aristocratic upbringing is obvious in both how he speaks and his bearing. It's difficult for him to suppress. While he is keenly aware of class boundaries, he's become far less concerned about formalities outside of a formal setting. He treats people with the respect they earn, regardless of their class, which sometimes gets him into trouble with those of higher station.

Motivations: Land, money, power. And lots of it. He doesn't want to simply allow his parents to live out the final years in comfort, he needs to restore his family name to it's former glory. Aethor also greatly values loyalty and tries to make friends where ever he goes. One cannot run a household on brute force. Having people you can trust who, in turn, trust you, is essential to getting the other three.

Starting Equipment: If I get unlucky with my stat rolls, I'd like Gauntlets of Ogre Power. I know I'm an archer, but loot is heavy and melee happens. Maybe a Quiver of Ehlona otherwise. (A wiser man might take a magic weapon, but homey don't play dat.)

My Story
"Why choose this life? Wealth, of course. Fortune and glory." Aethor smiled broadly at the merchant with the prosperous middle. "Well, perhaps not glory, so much. That usually requires a sacrifice of the fatal variety which would, naturally, undo my purpose in coming out here."

He holds up his hands. "Yes, yes, pedestrian and mercenary goals, I admit, but have you ever heard of the Vilkagar? No? Well there's a good reason for that. You do know of the Barony of Wolf Hills, yes? A hundred years ago it was a Vilkagar holding. Yes. And Bluestone Castle was our family seat."

Aethor took another gulp of the watery, sour wine his employer had provided. The fat man drank from the same unsavory barrel he'd provided his people, so no one felt inclined to complain too much. They did trade sour, dissatisfied glances.

"You see we Vilkagar tend to live above our means." The knight continued. "It's a flaw in the blood, I suppose. Two generations ago we finally traded off the last of our assets and have been surviving on the kindness of others since. I believe father's pride would have him starve to death rather than bear the indignity of charity. But there is still my mother, Charris, to think of and my brother Jakkon, you see."

"There was a brief bright hope when my brother Berrin stood for us. He was the firstborn and had decided it was his duty to rescue us from our shame. He joined the company of The Brass Duke, Lord Hierkhol Varney the Second. It was that whole border skirmish thing with the PlaceholderSerrinese. He made himself invaluable to The Brass Duke, which he hoped would earn him favor and perhaps concessions when the war was complete. The problem is, when one makes themselves useful in war, they tend to get used."

Vilkagar finished his cup as he stood and made way to the wine barrel. "Berrin was a highly competent combatant, a charismatic leader. He was loved by all fortunate enough to find themselves in his presence." He returned to the circle with a full cup, but remained standing as he continued.

"He was the epitome of the first born noble son. No-no, I'm serious. I'm not making fun. Berrin was a great man, truly. Unfortunately, time and again, he took terrible risks. They paid off, time and again, too. Until they didn't."

Aethor's face took a wistful cast. "He'd made a name for himself among the enemy, too. How they hated him. He'd handed them so many defeats. Killed so many of their fellows. When they finally got him: terrible." Emotion had crept into Vilkagar's voice. "They desecrated his flesh and used his impaled corpse as a banner at the Battle of the Fork. Seeing his broken, ruined body sapped PlaceholderAnurian morale. They broke and were driven from the field." Recognition shone on the faces of the guards and muleskinners. "Yes, he was that Berrin. So you know the rest, then."

But for the nicker of a horse and a crack of the fire, the camp was quiet. Eventually the knight sighed and retook his place by the fire. "So anyway, it fell to me, my sister Constance, or Jakkon to take on the duties of the firstborn. Jakkon, the youngest, is the brightest, sweetest and the most intrinsically good person I have ever been blessed to know. Unfortunately, he suffers from sleeping sickness."

"If he gets too warm, or too excited or too tired or, sometime for no apparent reason at all, he'll faint dead away. He's learned to feel it coming on, so he doesn't hurt himself often, but, unfortunately, he's ill suited for gainful employment. What he excels at is reading quietly in a well supplied salon with great quantities of books and large sun-facing windows to read them by. Historically that doesn't pay well."

"My older sister, Constance, married a gentleman gambler. On purpose, mind you. She's as deeply effected by the family curse as anyone and Heron, that's her husband, loves the finer things as well. He has won and lost more wealth than most kings collect in a lifetime. Alright, that was a bit of hyperbole. Anyway, as long the high times were high enough, she was willing to suffer when the low times were low. Five years on and they're still getting along famously. Bit jealous, if I'm being totally honest."

"And that leaves me, on the road to Peyxe, wearing the last dregs of Vilkagar wealth. If, out there on the frontier, there's gold to be had, I'll take it. If their are goods worth having, I'll sell them. If the soil is fertile, I'll plant it. And if there's none of that, I'll sell lies that there is. Then I'll sell to the settlers and adventurers supplies, services and maybe, occasionally, guards to see them home when they go bust."

There were chuckles all around, except for Aethor. He forced a smile and a nod and lifted his cup. "So, that's me." He emptied his cup with one long draw and bid the camp goodnight.

RP Sample
"Funny? I'm usually only funny on accident. Is my continued employment contingent on this? It is? Well. Funny."

Aethor scratched his stubble, wracking his brain for something, anything, that might pass for funny. Most of guard duty was boredom and blisters. There was almost always someone with a pitch black sense of humor keeping the company in stitches, but that wasn't him. He'd been trained to lead. To make hard choices. To be stoic.

"Alright. I think I've got a thought by the tail." He was certain he looked about as sure as he felt, which everyone thought was terribly funny. So. progress, he thought. "Uh, well, there was this fellow we called Tim. Tim wasn't his name. It's just what we called him, apparently because he hated it? In fact, I'm not sure I ever heard is proper name. I'd joined well after he and hadn't thought to ask."

"So we were headed to Ambush Pass, which, historically, many an ambush had happened. Thus the name."

"Boo! Be funny, you poncy git!" Ammon bellowed, throwing a tuft of grass at Aethor.

"Look, I told you I'm not good at this. Besides, I'm building up to it. Be patient." The poor nobleman sighed, then continued. "So, we had teamed up with two other trains for mutual support through the pass. Thirty strong, we didn't have much to fear, but we'd not let our guard down. Tim was riding up ahead on a swaybacked old gelding. As much as we teased him, he was good at his job. Soon enough, he reigned in and signaled."

"I caught the master's eye and jogged forward. The master slowed the column, but didn't bring it to a halt. There's a momentum to large groups, you see, especially with heavy wagons. It resists change. If this was a prelude to an attack, he didn't want them still."

"Tim was a good eight or nine rods ahead and I could see him nod toward something on the other side of the rise. There were largish bones and great quantity of what looked like guano. He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'shyte'. 'I can see that' I said past huffs of breath."

"You got out of breath in a hunnid feet?" Laughter erupted.

"I was in full armor, with a full pack and in a hurry. If your keen to test me I'll race you to the shallows and back, right now," the knight shot back, upset more at the interruption than the slight.

"Nothin' doin'. Finish your tale, sir, or I'll chase you out of camp with a switch." More laughter.

"This is not the best working environment," Aethor quipped under his breath. "Anyway, bones, bird squat and Tim pointing it out. Uh, so he pointed again and said, 'that ain't sparrow shyte you twit, it something big.' I couldn't fault his logic, but I didn't see why we should care. I said as much. 'Cause it might be griphon. Or Harpy. Or, I don't know, somethin' big.'"

"It did occur to me that there might be a large flying predator about, but I still didn't see why we should be overly alarmed. The rather damp quality of the scat indicated to me that it was likely recent and the animal quite full. Tim wasn't fully placated. He said, 'I long for the times when a bit of bird poop was considered good luck.'"

Aethor waited. "That's it?" cried one. "You can not be serious," bellowed another. There was a chorus of boos and a flight of hurled object.

"Look, I told you at the beginning that I'm not good at this."

"Oh shut it ya ripe nappy," the merchant with the prosperous middle exclaimed.

Well, at least that's over, Aethor thought, And the festival awaits. Now if I can just survive the hazing until we get to town.

Edit: an opening post from another game, if you like. https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...88#post9537788

Last edited by kenneth; Jul 4th, 2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 12:29 AM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Somebody give this man Kenneth a medal. That is the best opener I have seen to date, on or off of this site. 11/10, five stars.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 01:13 AM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
Somebody give this man Kenneth a medal. That is the best opener I have seen to date, on or off of this site. 11/10, five stars.
Ya got me blushing.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 10:43 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
It is, indeed, very well written, dynamic and gives a wonderful sense of the character.

It's almost enough to make me not notice that it isn't actually a response to the prompt given. I'm afraid even the most impressively drawn squares in the world don't quite cut it when the assignment was to draw a circle.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 11:19 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12543
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Updated my app with magical item options for approval, and with a character history. It's not my best piece of writing, but it gets the job done.

@Kenneth, I'm rereading the Stormlight Archives right now and Aethor's family gives me major Shallan Davar level disfunctional family vibes. Dunno if that's intentional, but it was what immediately stood out to me on read.

Last edited by Nasrith; Jul 4th, 2024 at 12:19 PM.