twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 4th, 2024, 01:00 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 789
Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede Aisede
I started reading Stormlight Archives but never got past The Way of Kings. Well, I didn't even finish that one. It's a LONG book: 1216 pages.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 01:23 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Second pass of reviews done. Only four apps still technically incomplete, so I feel like the rest of you deserve a bit of a more in-depth review. Group feedback first, then additional feedback here in secret text. If you make any changes, please make sure to reply letting me know, because I definitely will not notice them on my own.

Group Review

Pretty interesting group. Most of you went with more of a supporting character feel as opposed to really ingraining yourselves with strong intrinsic motivations, and that means I'm going to have an easy time choosing my "core three" and a harder time choosing who best connects to them.

The class choices were a surprise. I thought for sure I'd get at least one bard, and I can't believe there are no monks, warlocks or sorcerers. No barbarians isn't much of a surprise, and no artificers is kind of a relief.

By the same token, far less humans than I imagined (only one with a completed app!), but at least a fairly large variety in the other races.

I'm guessing this is going to wind up being a group of six, and barring any significant changes or new apps, I'm pretty sure I've zeroed in on my core three. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to just take the lot of you and run two timelines, but that would require me to keep the games hidden from each other until they progressed far enough apart to be declassified, and that's no fun.

Perhaps we can negotiate a different adventure for the rest. I'll ponder it while I enjoy the fireworks.

Last edited by arin12; Jul 4th, 2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:00 PM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 297
silveroak silveroak silveroak
I would be interested in playing a high elven sorcerer with draconic bloodline and a noble background- his family descends from a gold dragon and he is following a family tradition of spending twenty years adventuring to prove his worth (some go longer if they do not feel their accomplishments worthy enough) after which he will need to wed and produce an heir with a (not too close) cousin, in order to prevent the draconic lineage from weakening.

I'm thinking for a name Mindartus Goldenbough (translated) but with a nickname of "Drake" that he has gained while adventuring for obvious reasons.
Considering one multiclass, but not certain about that yet.

name Mindartus "Drake" Goldenbough
race High Elf
class Sorcerer (draconic lineage), depending on stats possibly monk
Background noble
Alignment LG
Personalitytraits Always maintains proper decorum
highly flirtatious with women
ideals Governance must be constantly improved
bonds I will always honor my family legacy
flaws Unwilling to strike openly against authority except in self defense

Appearance: A well dressed high elf, wearing no visible armor. His hair is atypically blond and his skin honey colored. He clearly pays attention to his appearance with well manicured nails and an even, professional cut to his hair.

Background: Mindartus comes from a Dutchy where the ruling lineage are the descendants of a gold dragon, who occasionally visits and is hosted by his descendants when he does so. Sorcery runs in the family, and when an heir, or one who might potentially be an heir reaches the age of 80 they are sent out into the world to support themselves for 20 years both to prove their worth and to gain experience in the world beyond the shelter of the royal house. Mindartus is only a few years into his journey, and quickly found that the adventuring life suited his personality and sense of responsibility better than settling down to a sorcerous trade for 20 years. Upon his return is expected to marry his 4th cousin whom he has never met and of course continue the bloodline.

Story: "It was soon after I came into my powers and left home, which was, I must admit a rather sheltered existance, that I came upon this village where a woman, rather attractive if not that young, though I suppose strictly speaking all humans are young in comparison if we merely count the years. In any case this woman was upset that her brother had gone missing and so of course, out a sense of obligation as much as to impress the woman, I pledged I would find him. The look she gave me when I said that should have been a clue as to what was to come, but as I said my life to that point had been rather sheltered.
Now, as I was lacking in the authority to go seeking her brother and believing at the time I would need permission to do so, I went immediately to the authority, a sheriff of this particular town, to announce myself and seek consent to search for the boy. I showed my references which gained me audience with the man, whereupon I discovered that the missing boy was in the custody of the sherrif, and had been arrested for sedition against the same sheriff.
I assumed this would be the end of things as I had located the boy, and explained that I would inform his sister then of his arrest so her mind could be comforted. This is when things got rather uncomfortable as the sheriff seemed far to eager to find out how I was to contact his sister. As I met with this sheriff it was clear from the reactions of his men that he kept his discipline to tight, and if he treated his men that way he was likely he mistreated the people who had been placed under his trust as well. I asked if I could see the boy to assure his sister that he was alive and well, but the sheriff equivocated and avoided the question in a manner that suggested to me that the boy was not okay at all. At this point I used a cantrip, called friends, to persuade the sheriff to allow me to see the boy, and he immediately became much more amenable to my suggestions. Now those familiar with the spell will know it is very limited, both in influence and duration, but than turned out to be exceptionally susceptible to it's effects. His men certainly should have realized something was up, and perhaps did so, but they were not going to disobey orders regardless of their suspicions.
The brother, as it turned out, was a young man, but had been badly beaten and perhaps tortured without the benefit of a trial. My already low impression of this sheriff was thus further decreased, and I managed to persuade him to allow the young man and myself to walk in a walled garden nearly alone. The younger man turned out to be an accomplished rogue and between the to of us we managed to give the minimal guard the slip and were well away by the time my spell wore off from the final casting. His sister, it seems, was a bard who was trying to raise support for granting the citizens of this town some basic human rights, especially when it came to the excesses of law enforcement. I believe her name was Robin. Her brother and I traveled for some time together, since it was mutually understood that he and i were better off leaving the town.
The sheriff was apparently well aware of his weakness to mind altering magic, which is why the sister had no chance of getting his me to allow her anywhere near him, Had he not dismissed me as a simple man of some political influence he would never have met with me either. Which is how I learned my first lesson in adventuring, never correct an opponent who underestimates you."

Equipment Bloodwell vial if allowed

Last edited by silveroak; Jul 5th, 2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:28 PM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15174
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
@Kenneth, I'm rereading the Stormlight Archives right now and Aethor's family gives me major Shallan Davar level disfunctional family vibes. Dunno if that's intentional, but it was what immediately stood out to me on read.
Never read it. In fact, I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book. My friends did. Mike was a voracious reader, like me, and he was always finding great authors, old and new. I did read some sample chapters for Mistborn way back in the day, thanks to Mike, but I was wasting way too much time reading back then. I'd read all hours of the night. I'd forget to eat. Show up to work late with bags under my eyes. It wasn't pretty.

If that means we can't be friends, I'm sorry. If Brandon had started writing in the 90's I definitely would have read EVERYTHING! Great author and great dude.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4962
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:41 PM
Mutt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8566
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:54 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Never read it. In fact, I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book. My friends did. Mike was a voracious reader, like me, and he was always finding great authors, old and new. I did read some sample chapters for Mistborn way back in the day, thanks to Mike, but I was wasting way too much time reading back then. I'd read all hours of the night. I'd forget to eat. Show up to work late with bags under my eyes. It wasn't pretty.

If that means we can't be friends, I'm sorry. If Brandon had started writing in the 90's I definitely would have read EVERYTHING! Great author and great dude.
Mike sounds like he'd have some good reading reccomendations! I LOVE Brandon Sanderson books, as well as Naomi Novik, and Leigh Bardugo. Excellent fantasy authors. (And some sci-fi, too)

Old Jul 4th, 2024, 03:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4382
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator

Last edited by delpinator; Jul 4th, 2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 03:07 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8353
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
I would be interested in playing...
Sounds good to me. Just make sure to put together something soon, I'm making choices day after tomorrow.

Old Jul 4th, 2024, 03:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4382
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 05:02 PM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Added an RP section to my post here.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 07:11 PM
A Seed of Potential ~

Tools
User Statistics
Can I ask how equipment works here? I've heard people referencing some highly specific stuff, but I'm a bit lost.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 07:17 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa Drinkslotsa

The feedback is appreciated
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 07:55 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3318
Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 08:16 PM
Gnomish Supremacist

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisede View Post
Can I ask how equipment works here? I've heard people referencing some highly specific stuff, but I'm a bit lost.
as per the opening post.
Quote:
Starting Equipment: As written plus either 300gp extra for mundane equipment and potions OR one uncommon magic item (item requires approval)
So you get starting equipment for the first class you take, plus either 300 gold to buy equipment from the PHB and potions or a low powered magic item. There are plenty in the DMG. Just look for the uncommon ones.