Other The Enemy Within [Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay] - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 6th, 2024, 07:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7830
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
The Enemy Within [Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay]

Game NameThe Enemy Within [Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay]
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeUnderdogs, n'er do wells and misfits being unlikely (anti-)heroes
FlavourIntrigue, some combat and a dash of dark comedy in a Renaissance style fantasy setting
Plot Summary

“And at the appointed time we shall rise from our secret places and throw down the towns ans cities of the Empire. Our brethren shall pour forth from the forests to slay and burn. Chaos will cover the land and we, the chosen servants, shall be exalted in His eyes. Hail to Tzeench, Changer of the Ways – Njawrr’thakh ‘Lzimbarr Tzeentch!”
- Excerpt from The Book of Transmutation

The Empire. Perhaps the greatest nation of the Old World, it has stood for two and a half millenia as a bulwark against the threat of Chaos. Down the ages – from the time of legend when Sigmar Heldenhammer ruled, to the peaceful days it now enjoys – the Empire has endured. Within its borders, the Emperor’s armies keep the peace. The Empire stands firm against the enemy without.

But what of The Enemy Within?

~~~
Out of Character Summary:

Greetings all!

For those of you have never played it WFRP is the roleplaying version of Warhammer Fantasy Battles which itself is the, well, fantasy version of Warhammer 40,000 (though Fantasy came first.) It is set in the Old World which roughly mirrors Renaissance-era Europe and is focused mostly on the Empire which roughly mirrors the Holy Roman Empire. There are some standard fantasy tropes (dwarfs, elves, halflings, orcs) and some less standard ones (evil humanoid rat people underground that would conquer the world if they weren't always backstabbing each other) and some off the wall ones (those orcs I mentioned earlier are humanoid fungi.) Also if you drink the wrong water you might turn into a hideous mutant and be burned by witch hunters, not necessarily in that order.

Basically it is cynical and gritty but also with a lot of very British black humour - think Call of Cthulhu meets Blackadder with the result filtered through Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

This particular campaign will use the classic 'Enemy Within' campaign from the 1980s which was updated for the most recent edition of WFRP.

Application information
I am looking for 4 to 6 players. Previous experience with WFRP would be excellent but I will help players unfamiliar with the system.

Player characters will randomly generated as per the WFRP rules. Do NOT to roll any dice in this thread!

Last edited by RossN; Jul 6th, 2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 07:45 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1345
Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian
Name; HeG-Drol-Sia Bristleforge
Race; Dwarf Gender; Female
Age; 44
Profession; Squire
right-aligned image

Homeland;Worlds Edge Mountains

Ability Score Ability Score
Movement 3 Weapon Skill 41
Ballistic Skill 26 Strength 2
Toughness 5 Wounds 7
Initiative 18 Attacks 1
Dexterity 23 Intelligence 27
Cool 46 Willpower 49
Fellowship 16 Fate Points 2

NOTE: Anyone seeking to roll attributes HERE is a link to do it in. Just don't go overboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HegDrolsia.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	103695  

Last edited by Cardassian; Jul 7th, 2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 08:54 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1124
Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm
Definitely interested. Which version did you settle on?
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 05:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardassian View Post
Name; HeG-Drol-Sia Bristleforge
Race; Dwarf Gender; Female
Age; 44
Profession; Squire
right-aligned image

Ability Score Ability Score
Movement 3 Weapon Skill 41
Ballistic Skill 26 Strength 2
Toughness 5 Wounds 7
Initiative 18 Attacks 1
Dexterity 23 Intelligence 27
Cool 46 Willpower 49
Fellowship 16 Fate Points 2

WIP
Woah, I appreciate the interest but jumping the gun a little there! I intended to have a thread where interested parties can generate their characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghrimm View Post
Definitely interested. Which version did you settle on?
I'd originally planned on 1e, as the campaign is written for that. 2e is more balanced but I'd need a lot of conversion if I wanted to run 'The Enemy Within' - 2e has an entirely different campaign. 1e also has the considerable advantage of having a wiki out there with most of the rules that players without the rules can check.

However I've been reading up on 4e and I do like a lot of what I read. If I get enough interest and people willing to take a chance I'll try that.

Last edited by RossN; Jul 7th, 2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 09:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot
I would be interested though I havent played WFRPG for quite a while so would likely need some support and need to do some reading back up
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
I would be interested though I havent played WFRPG for quite a while so would likely need some support and need to do some reading back up
I'm happy to help new comers (or returning grognards.)
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 10:28 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10894
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
I am interested in this for sure. What is the post rate you would be looking for. I need to look up the system to see how I feel about it since it has been a long time since I have played. I am currently playing Rogue Trader though so I assume it's somewhat similar.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 11:11 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
Double Double Double
Assuming the game is going to use WFRP 4E, I'd first also like to know how frequently players would be expected to post before officially expressing my interest.

Last edited by Double; Jul 7th, 2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 11:24 AM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1061
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Definitely interested in some Warhammer Fantasy. Big fan of the system as a whole...and 4e is still pretty damn good
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 12:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 876
LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles
I'm throwing my hat into the ring as well. I'm absolutely in love with WFRP and definitely open to playing any edition!
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@Sagehart and @Double: Post rate would probably be 2 - 3 times a week, though I hope to relatively flexible.

Having looked a lot at 4e I think I'm drifting back towards more of a 1e or 2e hybrid. I still like a lot of what I read in the 4e books - and I'll certainly steal ideas - but I'm not sure it is quite right for a PbP game. I'm also sensitive to fact it's going to be easier for players to have access to 1e and 2e material.

I know I said character creation will have to wait until I have a thread up and running but I'll have pregens available too if anyone would prefer to take a chance with them?
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:34 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1345
Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian Cardassian
I prefer making a character first and using how the attribute rolls define the character and then work on backgrounds. I think it comes from my old school days and the DMs I had in the past.

Are we starting from scratch or will you be providing some experience for advancements?

Not thrilled about rolling a Squire for a dwarf, but instead of a horse/pony (trappings from Squire) can it be either a boar or ram (found in Warhammer tabletop battles)?
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 09:20 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 665
keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan
I would be interested in any edition that we play. I have both 2nd and 4th edition.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 09:50 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1124
Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm
Currently only own 4e. I have very fond memories of 1e but lost the book to water damage several years back. 1e wiki looks pretty thorough. I like the basic & advanced career feel of 1e over the career levels of 4e (just doesn't seem right starting out as a duelist or witch hunter), and it allows for us to choose starting race/class so we should be able to generate a balanced party. (You could do this in 4e but at the sacrifice of so much potential starting exp.)
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 10:02 AM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10894
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
@Sagehart and @Double: Post rate would probably be 2 - 3 times a week, though I hope to relatively flexible.

Having looked a lot at 4e I think I'm drifting back towards more of a 1e or 2e hybrid. I still like a lot of what I read in the 4e books - and I'll certainly steal ideas - but I'm not sure it is quite right for a PbP game. I'm also sensitive to fact it's going to be easier for players to have access to 1e and 2e material.

I know I said character creation will have to wait until I have a thread up and running but I'll have pregens available too if anyone would prefer to take a chance with them?
I can do 2 posts a week I believe. I tend to post one long post a week but 2 is doable. I want to know edition in order to know which book to get. Thank you for clarifying!