RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > D20 Modern > Ravening Shadows
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Cassius's Avatar
Cassius Cassius is offline
New Member
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2012
RPXP: 393
Cassius Cassius Cassius Cassius
Posts: 237
Rebecca just nods in response to Jonas' information, and readies her pepper spray.

Last edited by Cassius; 02-15-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Peleus's Avatar
Peleus Peleus is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-11-2012
RPXP: 432
Peleus Peleus Peleus Peleus Peleus
Posts: 283
I’m sure it’s just a trick of the fog. Pryce watched behind them. He studied the ghostly shapes of the trees and the white snow-covered trail. The trail blended with the thick wall of fog so that it seemed as if the road simply faded out of existence, as if they were walking in the only spot of earth left, a 15-20 foot area that constantly moved with them as they moved. The clicking is probably just the wood creaking in the sudden cold. When matter freezes, it expands. Science. That’s all that clicking is... Right?

He moved up next to Rebecca and Jonas. “So, um... not to push or anything, but, how much further?” He still thought the idea about going back and calling up tribal elders was a pretty good one. He didn’t say so, of course. And, Rebecca was right. There probably wasn’t anyone who would remember what to do with this ice spirit thing or whatever. But, going back and making a call meant that whatever it was stayed up here while they went back there—away from whatever it was up here. So yeah, pretty good idea.

 

Last edited by Peleus; 02-17-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Ytterbium's Avatar
Ytterbium Ytterbium is offline
Best Atomic Clock
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2019
RPXP: 29451
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Posts: 6,888
More noise behind me. Super. Loren moves his hand to the butt of his whip, hoping that the group gets to shelter soon. Loren was still unsure about what was going on. As he is out of better ideas, while they walk, Loren continues to mentally send thoughts to the glow-fox, on the off-chance that it eventually works:

"What are you? A ghost? A guardian spirit? A figment of my imagination? A monster from an unknown dimension?

"Did you cause the storm?"

"Are you a good fox or a bad fox?"

"Uh...we mean you no harm?"

"Please just talk to us. We're not whatever the professor chick says you might be guarding the, um, that whatever-it-is from."

"We are... peaceful... humans and don't want to offend you. Um, not at all. So...

"Ooh! Ee! Ooh ah ah! Ting! Tang! Walla walla bing-bang!"


"Stupid catchy song," Loren grumbles out loud, before quickly covering his mouth. He doesn't explain, but looks mortified.
__________________
Ytter is away July 2-7.

Become a Community Supporter
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-11-2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
Since her outburst, Jill had remained quiet, silently following the group along as they approached the hills. Even the incoming fog failed to elicit a response from her, though she did glance back several times at the mysterious noise behind them. When Jonas indicated they were only two minutes away, she thought for a moment before grabbing the scabbard and drawing the katana. With all the crazy things that were happening tonight, the last thing she wanted was to be caught defenseless and unaware by something, especially with the fog limiting their vision so close that she'd probably not see it until the last second.

The feel of the red lacquer and black cord on the handle reassured her somewhat, though she still felt rather uneasy. She kept the blade angled down at a low guard position that more or less rested it against her leg so as not to frighten anyone in the group with her holding a sword at head or chest height.
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 PM
GrandCommander13's Avatar
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2019
RPXP: 3581
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Posts: 3,797
Jonas, surveying the group, lifts a foot to take the first step on the last leg of the group's journey to the camp. Before he can set it down, however, Loren's remark to himself breaks the silence of the moment. He turns back to Loren, who is already covering his mouth. He attention is quickly called to the air around him, as the breeze picks up just as Loren finishes speaking.

The group finishes the last two minutes of their journey in peace, without any sounds following them. In the distance through the fog a large red dome tent becomes visible, followed by a dark blue tent lying much closer to the ground. Both tents seem to have weathered the wind well, though a thin layer of ice coats the tops and is causing them to sag under the weight. Further into the camp site a few more tents become visible, as well as a fire pit with several camp chairs surrounding it. Each chair is completely coated in ice, as is a footlocker resting on the ground by the fire pit.

It quickly becomes apparent that you aren't the first ones to enter the campsite, however: you see a set of footprints leading to one of the tents, which has been torn apart. Papers have been torn and scattered, and a laptop smashed against the ground. The footprints come from and return to the north; whoever or whatever made the prints did not bother to enter the rest of the campsite.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Ytterbium's Avatar
Ytterbium Ytterbium is offline
Best Atomic Clock
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2019
RPXP: 29451
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Posts: 6,888
Whispering, Loren asks, "What were they looking for?" Whip in hand, he walks over to check whether the prints are human. Taking a look at the wreckage of the tent, he decides that the people who wanted to come out here can investigate it.

Loren wanders over to the fire pit. Doused flames were turning into a recurring theme. Maybe whatever this is hates fire. Loren turns his attention to the footlocker and tries to open it, pulling out his multitool to help scrape off ice. He guesses there will be food inside, but a gun might be a useful thing to find, too. Along with somebody really good at shooting it. Maybe instead of pilot lessons I should have taken shooting lessons...
__________________
Ytter is away July 2-7.

Become a Community Supporter
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Peleus's Avatar
Peleus Peleus is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-11-2012
RPXP: 432
Peleus Peleus Peleus Peleus Peleus
Posts: 283
Pryce knelt down for a closer look at the tracks. This was something he'd seen a lot of police officers do on crime scenes, kneeling down and looking very closely and with expressions of concern, the eyes of real investigators who would then turn to notepads and scribble something pithy, some real case-breaking evidence. So, it seemed like a good idea for him to do the same. He leaned in close to the tracks for a better look. This was probably some sort of crime scene.

But, once he was down there, he wasn't quite sure what to look for. They were tracks, clearly coming into the camp then leaving again. Maybe he could get an idea of shoe size. Or even if they were wearing shoes. They could be natives, right? Ghost or zombie natives, most likely. Did natives wear shoes? Did zombies wear shoes, for that matter? Ghosts, he doubted, would even leave tracks. And that brought a sigh, and he ran a gloved hand over his head. Yes, this was his world now: a world where considering whether zombies and ghosts wore shoes was a real factor. Some days he really missed just sitting in a lab and cutting open dead people.

He turned back to the footprints again and began a deeper examination. Hopefully anything he could find would be of some use. He took note of what the tracks looked like, who might have left them behind. Were they similar in any way to his own? Or did they come from someone outside of their camp full of teenagers and whip-wielding academics?

 
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-11-2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
Well, crap. That short phrase pretty accurately summed up the situation. Jill had no idea what had happened here, but it was clear someone, or something unpleasant had come and gone already. And unless she missed her guess, they'd be getting to meet it soon face to face.

Why did I come on this trip again? Oh right, because it beats the alternative of admitting I've become a paranoid schizophrenic imaging men in trench coats. Though four padded walls and happy pills are sounding better and better by the minute. Leaving the experts to investigate the wrecked tent, Jill headed for the intact one. There was probably nothing of importance in there regarding the archeology shenanigans that had upset the natives in the first place or else it would have probably been destroyed as well, but that didn't mean she couldn't find something useful inside. Or at least a candy bar, which right this moment sounded even better.
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
ProjectMoon's Avatar
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-15-2019
RPXP: 1258
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon
Posts: 4,828
Rebecca cocks her head at Pryce. "Let me take a look at them." She studies the footprints carefully for several minutes before giving up. She stands up and sighs, saying, "I don't think they're bird or elephant footprints. But at the same time, the fact that they come and go back to the north is odd." Rebecca's gaze folows the footprints to the destroyed tents. The scene is just too perfect. Straight out of a horror movie.

"It's obvious that there was some kind of struggle here. I think the most likely scenario is that whoever ... or whatever came from the north took whomever was in the tents. I guess they didn't put up much of a fight since there's only one set of prints. The person--thing--must have grabbed them and walked off. Although that doesn't explain why there is so much destruction in the campsite."

She Looks over to Loren. "Got that locker open yet?"

OOC
Base DC for successful Investigate is 15. Outside, it's 20. So I don't think Rebecca learned anything other than what was already obvious from that check.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
GrandCommander13's Avatar
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2019
RPXP: 3581
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Posts: 3,797
With some effort Loren manages to open up the footlocker. In addition to basic toiletries, a few changes of men's clothes, a flashlight, and a first aid kit, it also contains a hand-cranked radio and a pair of books about the area: judging from the covers one is a memoir of the first western explorers to document the land and the other is a more modern book describing geographical features.

Peering closely at the footprints, Rebecca is finally able to get Pryce to agree that whatever elephant – or other creature – that made them was wearing shoes. Examining the ground, you are able to make out another marking: a slight trough in the ice that leads from an open tent to a wide area where the footprints get chaotic, widening from a simple trail to a large, stomped-out circle.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
ProjectMoon's Avatar
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-15-2019
RPXP: 1258
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon
Posts: 4,828
Rebecca follows the trail of footprints into the wider area. "Looks like they didn't go without a fight after all," Rebecca says. She makes her way back over to Loren and checks out the supplies. "I say we take the flashlight, first aid kit, and radio. Do we need anything else?" Idly, she picks up the two books and skims through them for anything useful.

OOC
Not sure what skill would even apply here. Maybe Research? Or knowledge?

In particular, I'm looking for anything on local superstitions and legends that doesn't cover what I already know.

Last edited by ProjectMoon; 04-30-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB