Notices

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Kepler Kepler
Hi There!

Hi all! I'm looking forward to roleplaying here soon!

My brief rpg history: In the mid-2000s I played primarily Star Wars d20. I ran a SWRPG resource site, GM'd a live game, and played a few play-by-post games on another site. Later I transitioned to a nation-building rpg, which was a lot looser. I haven't done much in the way of role-play over the last 10-12 years or so.

Over the last few weeks, I've been considering my options. My work and home life makes it difficult for me to commit to a specific time-slot to try to play a live game. I wanted to get into pbp, but many of my searches were leading me towards discord servers and these "living world" type games. I joined a few servers and poked around but wasn't too impressed with what I saw.

Then, somehow, I got connected here. I've skimmed a couple of games and by and large this is the type of pbp I remember and I've been looking for! So, thank you for existing!

For game systems that I am interested in:
1) I've never played DnD, but I think I'd like to give it a shot.
2) Apocalypse World or other PbtA games look fun
3) I'm a sucker for Star Wars

Anyway, I look forward to exploring these forums some more to see where I can fit in best!
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 08:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49051
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club Chummer!

You'll find your story a common one around here. A growing family made regularly scheduled consistent chunks of free time a thing of the past. I too found discord and Facebook messenger games to be too fast paced. I find creative writing to be soothing and this place has been a perfect fit for me!

You'll not want for D&D5 around these parts. It's the hottest game in town and for good reason. PBTA also has a dedicated fan base. Why not stop by and say hi to them?

You let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Join the RPGX caption contest! *Your witty text here*
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:07 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6063
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Kepler,

Okay, I'll bite, what is the story behind Kepler? Is it about the astronomer? Tell us a bit more about yourself. What is your favorite genre (horror, fantasy, scifi, etc.). How about your favorite character class? If you are looking to get into D&D, you found the right place.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for about a year and a half now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:27 PM
The little chicks go peep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18786
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!

RyuutamaHold Back the NightWanderhome [OPEN RECRUITMENT]
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 12:11 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46823
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Welcome, Kepler! D&D and Star Wars games should be easy to find and join; hope you get started playing as soon as you wish to begin. Tell us more about the nation-building game you ran. What system was it? How long did it go on?
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 80918
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

glad you decided we were the place to join. Hope you enjoy yourself... lots of SW fans around here, for example, so games appear routinely.

Happy gaming!
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 07:00 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Kepler Kepler
Thanks for Al the welcomes! It’s fun reading some of the linked threads above and in other areas of the forums. There’s so much to explore!

Kepler - yes is the astronomer. Also a street I lived on once. Mostly it’s short and pronounceable compared to older screen names I’ve used.

Favorite genre thus far has been sci-fi. Both for gaming and reading. But I think I’d like to try something new. I don’t necessarily have a favorite class yet. I’ve read through the D&D players guide but don’t yet have a killer concept for a character I would like to play.

The nation building game wasn’t strictly and RP, and I didn’t run it. It’s a still active browser based game that had an active RP community spring up around it. The game hasn’t changed much since launch, which means it never adapted to mobile and its support has dwindled and the RP community along with it.
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5217
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to RPGX Kepler.

Since you are a fan of sci-fi, may I suggest looking at the Starfinder system. It takes the standard fantasy world and slingshots into the age of space exploration. So, you get a little bit of both fantasy and sci-fi. So, if you wanted, you could play someone who both wielded a laser rifle and can sling magic.

Another good option for sci-fi are the Shadowrun games. While it is set in an alternate modern day timeline where magic re-entered the world, it is mostly a cyberpunk type of world where you have hackers of the computer kind.

I highly recommend checking out the New Player Solo Game off the main forum's Solo Games/New Gamers. There are 13th Age, Call of Cthulhu, DnD (3.5, 4, 5), FATE, Pathfinder (1), and Travelers many game systems to pick from and once signed up, you will be paired with a patient and helpful GM that can help show you the ropes of how to do things at this site. They can also be an excellent person to ask any questions to while you are getting up to speed on things.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help.

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 03:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5683
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, Kepler! I played in a table-top Star Wars RPG about 15 years ago and loved it . As has already been mentioned, there are plenty of Star Wars games around the site. And that nation-building game sounds really interesting. Hope you find some fun games to join!
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 02:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4311
Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman Horseman
Welcome Kepler !

Tell me about your love for Star Wars. I'm an early fan. What era do you like the most, who are your favorite characters ?
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Kepler Kepler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Welcome Kepler !

Tell me about your love for Star Wars. I'm an early fan. What era do you like the most, who are your favorite characters ?
I surprisingly got into Star Wars via the rpg. Wizards of the Coast used to post a lot of free content, articles, adventures, etc. and even though I didn't know anyone playing the rug, I just started reading that material and enjoyed it. That led to me reading a lot of the Expanded Universe (now Legends) novels and watching the movies.

The classic trilogy certainly is the fun one, and Empire Strikes Back is my favorite movie of the nine. Of the newer material, the Mandalorian is a favorite character and the show I'm most looking forward to returning.