Game Thread Part I: To Domkol - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Maskain's Avatar
Maskain Maskain is offline
It's probably a joke.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 4413
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Posts: 1,402
Huern Haive Amiliya'goule
right-aligned image

"Same as my own." Huern chuckled to the caster, more at home knowing that not everyone was more knowledgeable than he was. "I'm sure there's a good reason for all this though. I've seen it." As Araceli put her introduction to the fore, the druid shot his hand out quickly, opposite Berilac's more wary approach. "Huern Haive Amiliya'goule. But you can call me anything, I'm certain I will."

As the group traveled, Huern stayed to the back, drifting in and out of mental states, bored with the walking after the trail seemed to stretch endlessly. There was only so much one could do when they needed to press forward, not able to stop longer than to take a short reprieve. When they came upon the two by the fire, he was like this, looking to the sky, before walking into the back of Tahira.

Stumbling back, the half-elf apologized, unknowing if he was to touch a priestess at all. Hoping that they didn't have any strict regulations against such things, Huern looked forward to the new people, examining them. He'd have to be more
Dice Insight: Wary like Berry:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
wary like Berry if this journey needed it. Certainly rushing in before had been a bit foolish in hindsight, even if he'd do it again.
  #77  
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:33 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 14689
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,933
The campfire The boys exchange quizzical glances at each other before one begins to explain. "They call themselves the Couriers of Life and I heard they healed the Miller boy of his gimpy leg. Made it whole again, they did. They've begun to reclaim the road into the mountain. Lots of people from the surrounding villages been heading over there. They've got food to share and work to be done. Better than growing up on some farm to squeak out a living growing beans for the rest of my life."

The other boy squints his eyes a bit before asking, "You aren't here to put a stop to it, are you? Jealous someone else is taking care of us better than the church has?"
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #78  
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
Amy didn't know what to make of this information. Couriers of Life? She'd never heard of them. If a new charitable organisation had appeared, the Church of Evelyn should have been aware of it. But what really shocked her was the boys' open hostility to the Church. How could they trust some random newcomers more than the organisation which had protected these lands for generations?! So painfully naive. Amy's friendly demeanour dimmed noticeably. Now she looked far more like a stern adult.

"Stop it? That depends on what 'it' is. If you boys really are just being given honest work, then that's probably fine. But if it turns out that someone is trying to exploit you, then yes: We might have to stop them."
  #79  
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Andor's Avatar
Andor Andor is offline
Duke of Chanwood
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 1906
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posts: 1,328
left-aligned image
Berry relaxed slightly as it seemed the boys were not bandits at all, but rather just mistrustful of the priestess and her protector. Berry had seen it before, many times. When hard times hit, some people turned toward the church, others leveled blame. He'd also seen hatred, and blind acceptance, of the military, politicians, and the gods. Folks needed a target, it seemed, either for hope or blame. He was just glad the lady knight hadn't attacked the boys after their mocking; it was good to see that, devotion aside, she possessed some common sense and restraint.

Berry kept an eye on the trail, and the nearby woods, as the others argued the relative merits and flaws of religious organizations; a sneak attack would render the argument moot. He did wonder a bit at the timing of this so-called "charitable organization". When something seems too good to be true..., he thought to himself as he scanned the countryside. Even worse, if it did turn out to be exploitation, they might very well find themselves the target of the exploited. Agenda or not, if these "Couriers of Life" were indeed providing jobs and healing, they were also providing something people would be willing to kill for...hope.

 
__________________

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive
  #80  
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 08:02 PM
cookieyummy's Avatar
cookieyummy cookieyummy is offline
Queen of Pastries
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 1639
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Posts: 755
Araceli Naeva HazesunAraceli is surprised to see these two boys sitting there alone, apparently far away from home otherewise they would have spend the night at home right? As her companions approach them she can hear the last bits of their quiet conversation which sounds like a horror story. Back at home she had found some old books filled with folklore or fairytales and the young girl can't help but
Dice History Check:
1d20+5 (10)+5 Total = 15
wonder if there had been a story about these particular creatures. Trying to remember she just walks along her group playing with her ring and not really paying much attention to what is said.

She just catches the last couple of sentences. Now that she takes a closer look at the two boys who can't be much younger than she is the mage can see the wary glance they dart at Amy and Tahira.

"You aren't here to put a stop to it, are you? Jealous someone else is taking care of us better than the church has?" Araceli looks confused and a little bit unbelieving at the two. They really seem like they don't like the church at all. Out of the corner of her eyes she can see Amy's expression change and she can hear the disapproval in the paladin's words.

To lighten up the general mood she takes a step forward and sits down next to one of the two boys, smiling at both of them as well as her party. "I think it's great that there is someone helping out people in need. I'm sure that if they are only half as great as you say they are we will all get along quiet well, right Tahira?" she shoots a placating glance at the priestess and her guard before looking back at the guy next to her with a friendly smile.

"So are you guys from around here? I'm Araceli by the way, nice to meet you. How may I call you both? Do you want to join this Couriers of Life?"


 
  #81  
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:36 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 14689
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,933
The Couriers of Life The boys don't seem to respond to Amy's grand proclamation but instead focus on what Araceli had asked them.

"I'm Boyd and that's Shevrin and yes, we're joining the Couriers. They might even teach us how to use a real weapon," he said as he looked down at the meager farming implement in his hand.

The boys seemed quite excited and said that tomorrow you should all reach the first Courier farmsteads, land that was donated to the cause by the Mayor of Domskol. Feeling safe in your company, the two boys nodded off to sleep.

oocIf you'd like to converse with the boys more or among yourselves, feel free. If not I can quickly move you onto the next part.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #82  
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 01:54 PM
cookieyummy's Avatar
cookieyummy cookieyummy is offline
Queen of Pastries
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 1639
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Posts: 755
Araceli Naeva Hazesun"That sounds very exciting." Araceli can't help but smile at the obvious anticipation of the two boys as it is very familiar to her. She felt the same way when she started her current journey with her companions and she still does, this being her first time really out of the city.

Before the young mage can start chatting about aspiration or dreams for the future she suddenly remembers the thing that had been on her mind a moment ago.

"Can I ask you something? What were you talking about before we arrived? Something about dwarves turning into giant bats? Sorry, I'm just really curious, I love a good ghost story."
  #83  
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 07:43 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 14689
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,933
Couriers of Life As the group awakes the next morning and continues the journey east with the two boys in tow, Araceli asked them to go into more detail about their stories of Khul Boldohr.

"Eh, who knows, maybe just stories to keep curious boys away from a dangerous place," one boy responded.

The other retorted, "Not dangerous now that the Couriers have taken over!"

As the day drags on into afternoon, you notice more workers in the fields than back at Domskol. One of the boys explains, "We must be in land claimed by the Couriers. Making sure everyone has work and food."

Not far up the trail, you spot a barricade of sorts. "That must be where we sign up!" The boys hurry along toward the make-shift fort to declare their intentions to join the Couriers of Life.

As you approach, it would appear there are two lightly armored men standing at a wooden gate. Do you approach the fort or try to avoid it?
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #84  
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
The more Amy heard about these 'Couriers of Life', the less she liked. Their operation sounded far too extensive. Apparently they were recruiting anyone who'd answer their summons. And what was all this talk of giving weapons to children? Boys like Boyd and Shevrin weren't ready to be soldiers! She worried that those two were being lured into deep, treacherous waters.

Her misgivings grew further when she saw the barricade. To her, this looked less like a public-spirited charity protecting its workers; And more like some opportunists establishing their territory. The boys rushed heedlessly towards the ominous structure. Idiots! Amy didn't try to stop them, though. Using force here would just worsen their opinion of the Church. If possible, she wanted to resolve this diplomatically. The Paladin consulted her charge, to see whether they were of the same mind.

"Priestess, I think this warrants some investigation. Provided it doesn't interfere with our mission, of course."
  #85  
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 09:14 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 14689
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,933
The Couriers of Life
left-aligned image
Tahira
right-aligned image
Tahira thought over the words of her sworn protector, Amy, for quite a while. The boys Boyd and Shevrin continued on to the barricade and could be seen introducing themselves and motioning toward the party before being welcomed past.

As a small contingent of lightly armored men approached, Tahira commented, "It would appear we have little choice in the matter. We shall see what these Couriers are all about."

The guard approached, weapons sheathed but hands nervously on hilts. "Greetings, revered mother. The Lady Lily would offer you respite from your travels and would deign to speak with you. Would you please follow me?"

With a curt bow and simple nod, Tahira accepted the offer. She gives a glance back to the party and gives a reassuring smile, You are led past the barricade to what would appear to be a town under construction. Young men and women bustle here and there, wooden mallets pounding spikes and timbers and the ring of a smith's hammer clangs through the air. It would appear most here is still being done out of tents but there are at least three wooden structures being erected around a cleared out dirt square where an older man is distributing food to the workers. One building looks to be a granary, another a large residence and another shares similarities to a shrine to Evelyn but the architecture is a bit off leaving you perplexed as to what it may one day be once completed.

The guard takes you to a large black tent and pulls the flap back. "Lady Lily, the revered mother and her entourage have arrived."

__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #86  
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 02:25 PM
voodoozombie's Avatar
voodoozombie voodoozombie is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Posts: 2,875

Creepy

 


Inside the black tent, thrown on the floor, is a large white rug with a few large white pillows place here and there on the floor. In the center of the tent is a round white table with five white chairs arrange around it. The sixth chair is black, with an equally dark figure seated on it. The seated figure is a very young looking female dressed in all black including the scale mail she is wearing, with black lips, black eyeshadow, dark hair highlighted with white and a Lily flower placed behind one of her ears. A shield that is laying on the floor beside her chair is also black. However the quarter staff, war hammer and hand axe, also laying on the floor, are of the normal sort. Her skin is a stark white, almost glowing against her black clothing. Seated on the table in front of her is an adult human skull.

With a sweep of hands, she motions towards the chairs. She then places both hands around the skull and raises an eyebrow.

Last edited by voodoozombie; Apr 7th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.
  #87  
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
With a wary nod, Amy followed Tahira and her 'escort'. The Paladin's movements were full of tension. She walked like a wary predator, guarding her child from danger. Her eyes made sure to keep all the guards within sight. The camp's civilians concerned her far less. They were probably just ordinary people, who'd been lured by promises of a better life. The group passed through a growing collection of tents and makeshift structures. This place looked like it was here to stay.

Soon enough, they reached an ominous black tent. Amy insisted on taking a look inside first. What she saw didn't exactly assuage her concerns. Was this some kind of cult?! She hadn't expected the Couriers to be so...blatant. Still, there seemed to be no immediate danger. Amy reluctantly stepped aside, and allowed her priestess to pass. She seated herself beside Tahira at the table. The tent's owner was quite a spectacle. Amy had never needed to parley with someone who used skulls as ornaments. In the end, she settled for a safe, formal greeting.

"Um, greetings. I am Amelia Verrick. May I ask why you requested our presence?"
  #88  
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Andor's Avatar
Andor Andor is offline
Duke of Chanwood
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 1906
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posts: 1,328
left-aligned image
Berry followed the others as the guards collected them, not liking the situation one bit. As they were ushered in, he liked the look of the lady in black even less. She was obviously going for a specific effect...nobody accidentally wore that much black.

Hovering near the tent entrance, Berry kept an ear on the conversation, and the rest of his senses on the events outside the tent.

 
__________________

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive
  #89  
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 02:29 PM
voodoozombie's Avatar
voodoozombie voodoozombie is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Posts: 2,875

Creepy

 


With her hands still on the skull, Lily suddenly smiles.

"Hi! My name is Lily!"

She looks around the tent and back at the revered mother. Still smiling and in a very happy sounding voice Lily adds "How do you like my fort? David gave to me. He said that I could be in charge of it. Pretty nice of him isn't it?"

Lily suddenly glanced down at the skull and a look of slight concern crosses her face. She looks back up at Amelia once again. She gently pats the skull on top of its head.

"I'm sorry. How rude of me. Mother this Amelia. Amelia, this is Mother." Lily's eyes suddenly narrow. She wraps her arms around the skull and pulls it towards her.

"As for your question, as to why you are here......." She hesitates for a couple of seconds, her eyes still narrowed.

"I know of the Church of Evelyn. Is this why you are here? To disrupt the lives of these happy and hard working people by forcing your beliefs on them? Or are you here just to observe?"

Lily starts to hug the skull, while her dark eyes slowly moves from one new comer to the other.

Last edited by voodoozombie; Apr 7th, 2018 at 02:58 PM.
  #90  
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
Amy stared silently for several seconds. None of her etiquette lessons had prepared her for a meeting like this. Nothing about the lunatic seated opposite her made any sense. Amy's mind raced, in an effort to comprehend Lily's actions. She came up with two possible explanations:

A) Lily was deliberately acting erratic, in an effort to throw her guests off balance: In which case, she shouldn't be trusted.

B) Lily really was as crazy as she seemed: In which case, she shouldn't be trusted.

Two different paths that converged into one. Amy's already strong hostility rose still higher. She did her best not to show it, though. Manners were important. Studiously ignoring the skull, the disturbing eyes, and a lot of other things, she replied.

"We're just passing through. But I must admit to some curiosity about the people here. What exactly are your plans for them? Your organisation seems to be in a tremendous hurry."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB