Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 213
StarSignMaster StarSignMaster StarSignMaster
That would be possible, yes.

To see how that would work, I would recommend checking out the Lycanthrope section of the Monster Manual.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:58 PM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Old 12-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'll let you have full control over the wolf (except for the transformations, which will have to be decided by the dice). And I like the idea.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't realise this would move so slowly. I've decided that I would like a third party to speed things up a little. Same constraints apply, 3-4 players. This won't go wrong, even with work I've had plenty of time to handle both parties.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Character Submission
right-aligned image
Name: German, 'Alder Tree'Alder / The Huntsman
Which character is it based off?: The Huntsman from Little Red Riding Hood, with connections to the Big Bad Wolf
Class: Battlemaster

Great Weapon Fighting
Fighter
Race: Variant

Folk Hero

Werewolf
Human

Description: Alder is a tall man, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist, clearly physically fit despite being in his late 30's/early 40's. He stands taller than the average human, at an imposing 6'5", and has a very muscular physique. Despite his age, many years of travel and hunting the land have put Alder in good stead, giving him both strength and endurance. He has short brown hair, a large brown beard, blue eyes, with a tanned complexion.

Typically Alder wears a chainshirt, with an assortment of leathers and armor pieces strapped at the shoulders, waist, and arms. He has also adorned his clothing with various trophies from his past hunts, including a lion-fur vest, a large wolf claw necklace, and several teeth and claws of various animals on his belt and gauntlets. Around Alder's waist is a worn leather belt complete with pouches and a strap hook for his greataxe. Across his back is a crossbow and case of bolts within easy reach.

In times of cold or travel, Alder wears a heavy aqua colored and gold trimmed cloak. The thickness of the hooded cloak gives a fair amount of warmth, and keeps the chill from his bones on long treks through harsh winter environments. He also makes use of a backpack to hold his usual traveling gear; mainly a few days worth of rations, a water-skin and a bedroll.

Overall, Alder looks every bit the physically imposing, heroic huntsman of tales throughout the land.

Personality: Alder is a kind, protective man, who tries to do right by others whenever he can. Though not rich by any means, he has no qualms about sharing what little coin he has to feed another, nor would he turn down a request for help. Despite suffering loss as a youth, this has resulted in Alder forming bonds with everyone he meets, as he seeks to replace his lost family with others on his travels. He is under no illusion that any relationships as such would be short-lived, given his consistent travels, but he enjoys seeing others smile and being helped. Yet, despite his kindhearted disposition and willingness to help, there remains a deep anger in the man.

Of those that Alder is close to, they have his utmost loyalty. One individual is a little girl known as Red, who saved and was saved by Alder. Others have achieved similar standings with the man, but few have earned his willingness to do anything to save their life such as she.

More recently, Alder has been deeply troubled. Being a werewolf, he understands that he holds a monster within him, which has vast power, of which he cannot fully control. This scares the man. He knows losing his temper can trigger transformations, so he must continually fight himself to remain calm and controlled. Especially around rude or insulting individuals, of which Alder has found many in towns across Grimmland.

Because of his past, where he killed a witch in revenge, Alder has tried to live a better life. He regrets being labeled a murderer in his own country, perhaps even regrets his actions and would do things differently now, but unfortunately Alder can't turn back time. So he does what he can to alleviate some of the guilt by doing good deeds. Selfish, perhaps, but it's the best he can do in his situation.

SpecificsTrait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.

Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.

Backstory: Alder was born to poor farmers, in a small city west of Grimmland. His childhood was uneventful, he worked the land with his father, he learned the ways of crops and plough. When Alder was fifteen, his family farm suffered a curse, which caused the crops for the coming winter stocks to be decimated. The curse was the result of a crazed witch that had once sought shelter, and hadn't been content with the barn and hay offered, instead expecting the poor family to provide room and food from their less-than-ample means.

Coping with the loss as best he could, Alder's father tried to grow anything that might provide food stores for the approaching winter, but to no avail. Not two months after the witch had visited, Alder's father died in a barn fire, the structure bursting into flames seemingly from a leaking oil lamp that caught the hay. Alder was convinced it was the witch, her curse touching the family again.

The winter that followed was hard, the young man forced to work odd jobs and gather what coin he could to provide for himself and his mother. On the eve of the new year, the witch's curse landed a final blow. Alder's mother, who had been collecting water on the nearby frozen lake, fell through a thin patch of ice. Unable to escape she drowned and was never recovered. Alder had no idea what to do, so he packed his meager belongings, sold the farm (at a steep loss, due to the curse potential) and began traveling.

For several years Alder worked as a woodsman, falling in with a logging outfit that harvested the numerous forests of the land. He proved capable, and with consistent pay, food and hard labor, his body grew. By the age of eighteen, Alder was taller than most men, towering over them by several inches. He had also become very physically fit and able from his time moving logs and chopping trunks. During this time, Alder developed a caring, protective personality, as he looked out for - and helped - his friend's families, often sharing pay to assist with feeding their children for winter.

Like a ghost from the past, a familiar sinister figure returned to grace Alder's path. Out working with the logging outfit, there came news of an elderly woman seeking shelter and food from the small community of families. In a rage, Alder sprinted back to the camp, seeing the very same witch that had cursed his family so long ago - and without a second thought, and nothing but a wide-eyed yelp from the (evil) woman, Alder cut her down on the spot with his large axe. The friends and families were shocked, unable to process the murder they had witnessed, and caring little for Alder's attempts at explanation after the fact. Left with little choice, Alder packed his belongings once again, and traveled east, the shame of killing the elderly lady (of whom the loggers didn't believe or know as a witch) following in his wake... as well as a bounty and warrant for his arrest.

The first real mention of Alder in Grimmland was his encounter with a girl in a red hood, where he is often referred to as the huntsman. The name had become an alias, something Alder used to avoid bounty hunters seeking him. As it was, some years after the witch debacle, Alder was ranging and seeking strong wood to gather for a local shop owner. If asked, the huntsman simply said it was the screams and howls that had alerted him, despite others changing the story to state he had been hunting the wolf. In truth, the huntsman had had no knowledge of the wolf prior to their first, and final, encounter.

Most 'know' the story; the huntsman burst into Red's grandmother's house, seeking the large creature's skin for a trophy, and seeing the wolf trying to devour the girl, before killing it with a mighty blow and slicing it's belly open to reveal a living grandma within.

But that's not the truth, merely the happy tale told, and the huntsman rarely speaks of what actually happened to others. In fact, the confrontation with the wolf had been far more brutal, bloody and longer than told. The huntsman had, indeed, heard the screams of Red and had run to help, therein encountering the wolf. But this was no ordinary wolf, it was monstrous and larger than normal, and it took all of the huntsman's strength to drive it away from the girl. During the struggle, the bearded man took numerous hits, slicing open his stomach and back, and was bitten deeply on the forearm. Nearby, Red had seen the the huntsman losing the fight, and thinking quickly she grabbed the firepoker from the chimney hearth and stabbed the wolf from behind, searing its fur and skin, causing it to howl and flee through the window with a crash.

For the next few weeks, the huntsman tried to recover from his injuries, Red helping by caring for the man in her grandmother's house. Sadly the girl's grandma was gone, dead and eaten, and she told the huntsman caring for him had helped deal with the loss following the ordeal. The pair developed a friendship, brought together by similar events that had claimed loved ones, and after another few weeks the huntsman felt he was strong enough to continue on... but it seemed the wolf had other plans, as the creature returned, stalking the pair. This time, however, the wolf was different - it now walked on two powerful legs, hunched and upright, bearing the appearance of a half wolf-half man.

It was on the night of it's next attack there was a full moon.

The huntsman awoke to screams from the bedroom, as he rushed in from the blanket bed near the hearth. The sight on entering would stay with him for the rest of his days, as the werewolf held the unconscious - or dead, he didn't know - Red's form in one large clawed hand. With a rage unbeknownst to him, the huntsman rushed the monster with bare hands, and the pair clashed. This time something was different, the huntsman was stronger, faster, more durable; and as the shimmering glow of the moon filtered through the window onto the bloody fight, the man began to transform! Suddenly, the man's body was covered in thick fur, his body extended in length, his arms grew longer and more powerful, his fingers had razor sharp claws, his legs cracked and bent oddly, resembling those of a wolf, and his face formed a snarling snout with a mouth filled with pointed teeth and deathly yellow eyes.

That was the night the big bad wolf died.

In the aftermath, the huntsman returned to his human form. Weak, but alive. He carried Red all the way to town, five miles away through dense forest, trying to get the girl to healers and help. The entire time the huntsman could barely hear or see signs of life, but he refused to give up. During the rapid trek, the man considered his situation, his new state of existence and the monster that was held within him. Knowing another full moon was on the way, and not wanting to be near Red or others when that happened, the huntsman parted with the girl at the local healer and returned to the forest.

For a long time, the huntsman skirted civilization. He kept moving, not wanting to endanger others, and wanting to avoid any hunters tracking his actions while transformed. He actually became something of a huntsman during this time, actively assisting people in seeking and dispatching monsters to protect their homes or villages, earning a living by ridding areas of troublesome beasts. Throughout, he had a constant struggle to keep the beast contained, the huntsman couldn't deny that he felt the proverbial claws deep within himself, resoundingly scratching, trying to force the monster he held inside to be free...

Last edited by Watcher; 12-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That looks great. Here’s the forum: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17505. I’ve changed my mind, and am probably going to use a third party instead. That is, if I get any other applications by Sunday. If not, you’ll still be part of Party #2. In the meantime, post Alder’s sheet in the Character Creation thread.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Sure thing. I'll wait to see how things pan out, just let me know when you want me to start posting!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
UPDATE: After a year’s hiatus, we are rekindling this concept, but it seems only two of the previous players have noticed and shown interest. Due to this, we are reopening recruiting for preferably two new players.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:50 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1356
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Will this be a reboot or are you integrating new characters into an existing party? Also, are you still planning on one post a day?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 554
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
I love the world concept! Will put together a character and post it soon.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well, at the moment there doesn't seem to be an existing party. We'll be continuing the story that we've established so far. And yes, one post a day.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 554
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Doctor Allwissend

Which character is it based off?: Doctor Know-All (Doktor Allwissend - Grimm 98)

Class: Wizard

Race: Forest Gnome

Personality:
Traits: I've read every book in the world's great libraries - or I like to boast that I have.
There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideals: Knowledge - The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
Bonds: My life's work is a series of tomes related to a specific field of lore.
Flaws: Most people scream and run when they see a demon, I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

Backstory: Crabbe Coaltimber thought, at the end of yet another long, hot, and smoky day working his family's charcoal kilns (a day which came after twenty years of very similar days), that perhaps charcoal-burning was not the right job for him. The thought had crossed his mind many times before but this time he was determined to do something about it.

The very next day, the young gnome was making his rounds of charcoal deliveries to the gnomeholes of Underroot in the deep forest of Grimmland when he passed a particularly grand gnomish home, with its finely carved and gilded door nestled between two roots of a great old oak. A tasteful sign near the door read "The Residence of the Most Reknowned Scholar, Professor Grossekopf, AA, CF, DrSci, NP, PhD", though Crabbe knew him better as Great-Uncle Porter Coaltimber. People of all varieties and ranks often came to consult with his great-uncle but no carriages stood nearby this day, so Crabbe took the chance and knocked on the door, which was quickly answered by his well-to-do relative. "Ah lad, yes, I'll take two bushels, just stack them in the laboratory if you would."

Crabbe nearly turned back to the charcoal cart by force of habit, but he forced himself to pause. "Uncle, may I borrow a moment of your time? I've been thinking of finding another line of work, and I was wondering if it's difficult to become a scholar. It seems to have done well for you."

"What? Hmm, your father will be most upset, but then, he's a quite dull fellow. No, no, it's quite easy really. Come in and we'll talk it over. Do fetch the charcoal first though!"

When he'd dumped two baskets of charcoal into a bin in the laboratory, he dusted himself off outside and found his uncle in the library. "So, lad, scholaring is all about presentation and reputation. Also reading books, if you're into that sort of thing, but you don't actually have to read very many. You see, most problems are quite simple and smart people can solve them by themselves, so smart people rarely consult scholars. Stupid people, on the other hand, aren't sure what to do, so they consult scholars quite often; but, they can't understand the answers, so what they really want is to feel that they've been well-advised which gives them the confidence to go on with whatever stupid thing they were going to do anyway. I assume it all works out in the end. So, if you'd like to become a scholar, just read a few books for flavor and noise it around you're well-respected, and morons will lavish gold on you. Pick out a book, and when you're done with it, come back and I'll loan you another if you bring the last one back in good shape. Of course, when you go into business, you'll have to leave town. There isn't room for two scholars in Underroot."

Crabbe had hoped there was something more to scholarship than that, but he took his uncle's advice and started reading his way through the library by night after work. He learned that the ancients believed the sun was a large ball of dung rolled through the sky by a beetle, but now it was known that the sun was a man in a chariot. He learned which chemicals will kill you instantly if you mix them together. He learned which sort of wights dwelt in which sort of barrows, and all about nine kinds of ghosts. He learned the proper way to sharpen blades and six useful ways to peg pieces of wood together. He learned the names of one hundred and twelve kings and queens who all behaved horribly. He learned many songs and tales of the common folk, most of which concerned avoiding kings and queens. He learned, within a year, that he'd read much more of his uncle's library than his uncle ever had. "They're mostly just for show, I buy them cheap in auction lots. Makes the clients feel like they're getting their money's worth, just like the laboratory, they love seeing something smoking or bubbling in there. Also grow your beard long, they love that." Still, he developed a genuine love of odd knowledge and a deep curiosity as to whether any of it meant anything.

While replacing a tome on inadvisably applied astronomy, he noticed a book that had slipped behind the others on the shelf and reached for it. Unlike most of the library, which had been chosen mostly for solemn appearance and great weight, this book was thin and colorful. There was a rather childish painting of a rooster on the cover, over the title The ABCs of Wizardry; A Young Person's First Book of Altering the Nature of Reality. The first section was filled with strange text and diagrams that swam under his eyes; the rest of the pages were blank, except for a lead page which was titled "My New Spells". Checking to see that his uncle wasn't in sight, Crabbe tucked it into his shirt, borrowed another book, and made his way home.

Remarkably, once he stared at the pages until the text stood still, learned the odd syllables and motions, and collected the ingredients, everything in the book worked. He made his walking stick glow for an hour, sent a disembodied hand floating around his room. Out in the woods, he sent a flock of sparrows to sleep and froze one with a ray from his hand, about which Crabbe felt quite bad, though not as bad as when he nearly started a forest fire. He didn't quite have the courage to try the spell for safely falling from great heights on himself, but it seemed to work on sleeping birds.

This, Crabbe thought, this is something I can do. He'd been worried that he'd never be able to match his uncle's talent for bald-faced deceit. He'd even sat in on a couple sessions with clients, watching his uncle nod wisely as the people told their stories, pulling at his beard, saying "Hmm, yes" and "Of course, of course" and "Really", before spinning out some abstruse nonsense and concluding by agreeing that they'd been right all along. It wasn't something he had the knack to pull off, but he had learned quite a lot.

He returned the last book to his uncle, keeping only the spellbook (which he was quite sure his uncle had never noticed among all the other volumes he'd never read). He gathered his few possessions and meager earnings, bought a small set of paints and made his goodbyes with as little shouting as possible. Outside Underroot, he painted over the cover of The ABCs, making the book look much more impressive until he could afford to have it rebound in leather and gold, then painted as neatly as he could across his backpack:

The Reknowned Doctor Allwissend
Travelling Wizard
Natural Philosophy a Specialty
Consultations Available by Appointment

And he set out to make his way in the world.

OOCSlight re-skin of the original character - forest gnome rather than human, and nephew of the original Grimm false scholar Doctor Know-All. He's faking it until he makes it as a wizard, rather than outright faking it as a scholar.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Great! You can add it to the Character Creation page of the game forum. It's first in, first serve with this game, considering we're quickly trying to fill in spots.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:14 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
We're waiting for one more player before we start.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 568
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
You have room for a half-orc pied piper?