RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 05:21 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 768
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; 06-22-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 AM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3688
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Current posting status: Normal!

Last edited by MoldyNolds; 06-22-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:12 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Chevaliers Chevaliers
Hi there, I'd like to join if there's still space available and my character's up to scratch, I'm looking at playing an Aasimar celestial warlock. I should have the character details written out by the end of the day if you don't mind me PMing them to you. I've not played Curse of Strahd before.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1138
DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII
Hello, Chevaliers! It's a competitive application process that won't be decided for about another week, so you're welcome to enter the running! You can just post your character details here (though if you want to PM me to discuss any material I didn't already say was acceptable, feel free!) and I'll review the character along with all the others and choose the six party members from the thread!

Old 06-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Chevaliers Chevaliers
Cheers for clarifying how it works, I'm new here so it's much appreciated. Once I've gotten it ready I'll post it here in that case.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII
Welcome to the site- looking forward to your application!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 AM
Fledgling Space Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 372
buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer
Hi! I don't have any experience reading/playing Curse of Strahd, so I'd love to try it out!

COMPLETE!
left-aligned image

Name: Artemis Syghaid, a.k.a. "Red"
Race: Human Variant
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Background: Urban Bounty Huntress

Description: Cool, gray eyes, dark brown locks, and rosy cheeks complement Red's feminine face; if only she didn't have the pale scar running from her forehead down her left cheek. Contrary to the implications of her beauty, Red is no simpering strumpet. Most of her twenty-eight years of life were spent in hard, unforgiving circumstances, and that made her lean, well-muscled, and wary. She's not too proud not to capitulate on her looks when necessary, but neither is that a particularly desirable option. Aside from the cloak that had given her the moniker, Red is usually seen in practical leather armor, with trousers and boots to match coupled with bandoliers containing tools and other small items. At a height of five feet and four inches, Artemis didn't exactly cut an imposing figure, if not for the sleek, silver-gilded black-lacquered hand crossbow holstered on her right hip, while a quiver of bolts rested on her left side.

Working as a bounty huntress meant she had to be agile and stealthy, qualities that Red both possessed prodigiously. Thanks to her mercenary lifestyle, violence and performing under pressure were a part of her life, and she was used to bottling her emotions and not letting them show on her face. It also helps that the scar on Red's face makes it seem like she was always annoyed at something. That said, Red possessed a strong sense of right and wrong. It wasn't that she adhered rigidly to the laws of the land; in fact one could observe Red had a marked disdain for persons in authority, and certain decrees she deemed capricious or ill-advised. Perhaps it was because her father, Marcus, was a principled man. Perhaps it was because Artemis vehemently believed that the attack on Loudwater wouldn't even have happened if High Lords did their jobs faithfully. Nonetheless, when faced with figures in power who are proven to abuse it for selfish gain, Red would gladly take their money on a job then put a bolt in their heads while they slept if given an opportunity.

Fears:

Backstory:

Roleplaying Sample: Here

Last edited by buzzlitebeer; 06-28-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to update everyone that I've pushed the deadline forward a bit again, in light of the fact that I'll be out of town until the 29th and may not be able to do much on RPGx. The new deadline will be June 30. I know that this won't leave a lot of time for new applications to get reviewed so that those who apply between now and then can edit their posts, so reviewing is going to be my top priority for the time that I am able to be on RPGx between now and then. Since I've already extended the deadline by a couple of days once, the way I see it, this still allows for an extra chance for some late applications, even if they may not end up having the full advantages of reviewing that early applications would.

I hope this arrangement is amenable to you all, and I'm excited to choose a party and get started! you guys haven't exactly made the selection process easy, and there's still a few more days for some final applications. If you're reading this and haven't applied, but have been thinking about it... well, you've got two more days to do it, so I'd highly encourage it! To those who have already applied, thank you, and I can't wait to start gaming with you!
Old 06-25-2020, 12:51 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5325
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Thank you for the heads up, Durin.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
Dirty Magic
right-aligned image

Name: Harpax
Race: Warforged (reskinned... literally)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (trying to attain Lawful Goodness, or just plain goodness)
Background: Far Traveller
Class: Warlock (Celestial)

Personality Traits
I cannot ignore the suffering of others. I see things from the other point of view.
I need to learn. I need to learn about me.
I used to be physical and lawful. I'm learning to be magical and good.
It's safer when I'm quiet.
Ideals
Law and order protect us from chaos and destruction. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Sometimes pain makes us stronger
Bonds
The Bulwark taught me to be strong and lawful.
My patron encourages me to be compassionate, to embrace my own nature.
Flaws
I get confused. I am conflicted. Sometimes I need to think things over.
It's often easier to follow orders than to figure out what's really right.

Background:

Description:
Harpax stands just over 6 feet tall and is wide and muscular. His arms are a little too long and his legs are a little too short. His skin is a coarse amalgamation of stone and steel and flesh. His nose is wide and flat, his features harsh. His eyes glow the soft, pale red of chronic pain. At first glance, he is as much beast as man.

In a slow and painful process, his body absorbs the armour he dons, so vestments have never been particularly important to him. He generally wears plain, common clothes and a hooded cloak that can hide his face. He's somewhat introverted and quiet, cautious. He's not all that bright or insightful. He is torn between his training to be a mean, vengeful bringer of law and his nature of showing compassion for all living things. He's on something of a pilgrimage to try to understand the right way to live.

He's conflicted on a number of fronts. He's exceptionally lawful, so the individual has to come second to the group, even if the enforcement is cruel and callous. Fear of authority keeps people in line. Fear creates loyalty. He understands that law and order protect everyone and hold back the horrors of chaos. This has been drilled into him from a young age by the Sweetwater Bulwark. But he also has a deep well of compassion, an undeniable impulse that makes him want to stop misery wherever he finds it. His past in Sweetwater has taught him to suppress his compassion, but his new Patron encourages him to explore it and nurture it. In Sweetwater, he was used to being an authority figure, kowtowed to, given special treatment. Now, in the real world, he's a freak and a monster.

Fears:
- being philosophically Alone, a horror like no one else. Being singled out as a monster.
- not living up to his Patron's expectations. He failed the Bulwark... will he fail Illmater?
- he's been remade twice, by the Bulwark and by Illmater. He's afraid he'll never control his own destiny, never be himself.

Roleplaying Sample: Here's Jack (Yeah, the beanstalk one. But with PTSD and a smartarse magic harp), one of the most fun characters ever.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=185643

Last edited by Dirty Magic; 06-25-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:29 AM
Fledgling Space Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
I just completed my app and am ready for a review, but I wish you fun on your trip, Durin! If it's a business trip, well, at least you get to travel
Old 06-25-2020, 12:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
Dirty Magic
Also... I'm not sure you're supposed to call it a "trip". I believe the term "overland quest" is more appropriate.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Fledgling Space Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
An adventure!
Old 06-26-2020, 06:04 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Chevaliers Chevaliers
Name: Ilyana Kolikov

Race: Aasimar (Protector)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Folk Hero
-Personality trait: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help.
-Ideal: No one should get preferential treatment before the law, and no one is above the law
-Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-Flaw: Aware of the significance of my destiny, I fear I will fall short of its demands. How can I ever live up to such lofty expectations?
Class: Warlock (Celestial, Pact of the Tome)

Backstory:

Description: Slim and not especially tall at around 5'5", Ilyana's striking silver hair and golden eyes stand in stark contrast to her utilitarian attire: a tall papakha atop her head and a long wool coat serving well at keeping her warm in the winter but hardly the height of fashion. Though of some celestial lineage she is still a rural peasant at heart: not too quick to trust, her beliefs are steeped in the superstition and traditions passed down from her parents. Her upbringing has made her a good humoured and honest young woman; as her mother always told her "just because it's cold and miserable out there doesn't give you an excuse to be like it." Despite her good nature she can come across as blunt at times, a life of bartering and trading making her more direct in conversation. She does, however, know when to keep her opinion to herself, as saying the wrong thing to a passing noble back home could cost her her head. In such situations pleasantries and simple truths have a quality all of their own. Her true feelings can wait for a more opportune time.

Devoutly religious from a very young age, her faith is what motivated her to embark on her journey and still motivates her today, she is firm in the belief that it is her sworn duty to seek out danger and to help those in need, especially those unable to help themselves. Through her actions she hopes that such people might find the courage to stand up for themselves if they are shown it's possible. Her zeal for Tyr's teachings also makes her quick to rail against those who would seek to pervert the law to their own ends, though she is mindful given her station she must tread carefully when such matters arise: she cannot simply ride up to a corrupt noble or judge and lop off his head in the street. Far better to use the law justly to see such men meet the hangman's noose.

In spite of her lineage and the powers granted to her, she has no delusions of grandeur regarding these blessings. In fact, she often worries that she is not doing enough to warrant them. Every day spent not pursuing it puts knots in her stomach as if she felt guilty of a crime unpunished. Years of preparation for this journey and the constant the voice reaching her in dreams have put a great burden upon her shoulders. She is confident in her abilities yet still sometimes worries they will not be enough.

Fears: Above all else Ilyana is terrified that embarking on her righteous journey will endanger her family back home, that by going out into the world to strike at evil it would somehow follow the trail back to her village.
Not overly concerned with the steel or shot wielded by bandits and thugs, Ilyana is deathly afraid of being ripped apart by the countless beasts and monsters which plague the land, the grisly stories told by her parents to keep her inside during the dark winter nights now all too real.

Last edited by Chevaliers; 06-30-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56858
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
If I weren't already in a CoS game I'd be applying to this one. Good luck to you all, and well, Durin, enjoy your guests for dinner