DnD5e Contagion: Find a cure before it's too late! - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1824
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Contagion: Find a cure before it's too late!

Game NameContagion: Find a cure before it's too late!
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSave a town from certain death.
FlavourExploration and Survival with skill challenges in a Scandanavian setting
Plot SummaryCan you find a cure before time runs out? Few travelers ever even notice the backwater village of Granflod, but being tired and downtrodden after your last adventure, you think of it as a welcoming, bucolic haven. Soon though, you are embroiled in a search for a cure for a mysterious disease that is threatening a town of helpless villagers.

About me, the DMHello enthusiastic gamers! Ever since I played the Basic Set back in the day, D&D has caught my imagination. I've DMed here on RPGx for a few years running and have been a player here and on another PbP site. I grabbed an adventure on DriveThruRPG.com a few years ago and ran it as a side quest in a long tabletop campaign. I have now modified that adventure greatly so that the only original thing remaining is the story hook. This will be a very challenging adventure where one or all PCs may die.

Thanks for considering this game. I'm always suspicious of homebrew, since I consider WoTC stuff "professional" and other stuff "amateur," so I sympathize if you are skeptical. But I've put a lot of time into creating this adventure. It is 100% complete, and not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants DM session where I create stuff on a whim. Of course, I welcome feedback.

I run "Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe" types of adventures for brave heroes not cutthroat assassins. MPAA rating: PG to PG-13. Think the "Hobbit" book NOT "Game of Thrones" book (I threw my copy away after reading the intro sex scene and the F-bomb on page 8!). That's how I roll. :O)

I'll use theater of the mind even for combat scenes, which will be few but (I hope) riveting and memorable.

I like to be part of a good story instead of worrying about power gaming or rules lawyering.
Posting rateI'm aiming for two DM posts per week; combat may/will need more frequent posts. Please plan to keep up for the few months it will require to run this one-shot adventure.
Character applicationI'm looking for five characters of third level. Please apply by July 6. I'll choose players fairly soon after I have a batch of good applications. I hate waiting to start. This is a team game and will require party cooperation. Create a character who "plays well with others."

Character name:
Character sheet: You do not need a character sheet unless chosen, but may include a link to one if you like.
Ability scores: Standard array or point buy.
Race and class: Races and subclasses from PHB, DMG, Volo's, SCAG, EE, XGtE. Those are all the WotC books I own. Other official WotC books, UA, or homebrew are remotely possible but don't pin your hopes/dreams on it. Message me with your requests including a copy of the material or a link to the UA or homebrew. Multiclassing is fine. Follow the PHB +1 rule; that tends to keep things balanced.
Level: 3
Alignment: No evil alignments and no murder hobos; no player vs. player malicious stuff. Just to be blunt, I prefer good alignments.
Appearance: Image showing face, please, and brief accompanying description.
Background: Choose from WoTC material or feel free to make a custom background (with DM input). Backstory: Just a meaningful paragraph will do.
Magic item: Choose one item that is LESS THAN 299gp according to this list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8X...BicmpmUDg/view. Note the magic item in your application. Subject to DM approval.
Initiative: Dexterity should not be the sole determinant of who acts first in an encounter. Some folks can identify threats quickly through mental acuity (Intelligence) while others are keen judges of situations and people (Wisdom). Pick from DEX, INT, and WIS for your modifier to your initiative roll. Record your choice in your application.
In character sample writing:I would like players who write detailed and interesting posts. Not one-liners or text speech. Instead, in each game post describe what your character is 1. thinking, 2. doing, and 3. saying. Please write at a minimum English level equivalent to a private high school graduate. You can easily edit to clean up when you notice a mistake.

This game will have several skill challenges ala 4e. I never played 4e and have no rulesbooks, but I like what I read online about skill challenges. I'll explain more in-game, but for now, choose ONE prompt below. Solve the problem using a combination of ability scores, race, background, skills class features, spells, and/or equipment. The more creative the better, including using physical abilities to solve "mental" challenges and mental abilities to solve "physical" challenges.

Do not roll dice in this thread!

Prompt 1: Your party is competing with other adventurers to find a lost treasure and claim it for your own. Both groups have the same ancient map of a nearby area, which contains unfamiliar symbols and an unknown script that cannot be read with a spell. Of the five landmarks shown, you recognize only one; perhaps the others are gone now. You can't even tell which way is north on the map. In order to get to the treasure first, you need to 1. decipher the map; 2. leave town in secret so you can't be followed; 3. pass through a dangerous wilderness; and 4. trick the guardian of the treasure. Choose one or more aspects of this challenge, create the scene and how you will use a combination of ability scores, race, background, skills, class features, spells, equipment. A. Assume you succeed on your check. Describe the result. B. Assume you fail your check. Describe the result, making it possible for the party to still succeed.

Prompt 2: You are sound asleep in your rooms on the second floor of the inn. Someone yells "Fire!" You need to escape the burning inn which is full of thick smoke and a large section of the floor on your escape route has collapsed. As you begin to find a way out, you remember that other men, women, and children were also guests and may be trapped on the second floor but you don't know which rooms. Some are too scared to move from the corner of their rooms. Some are burned badly by the flames. Parts of the structure begins to collapse. In order to get everyone out alive, you need to 1. avoid the flames and smoke inhalation; 2. find an alternate route where the structure has collapsed; 3. find and rescue the other patrons on the second floor; and 4. assist those burned by the flames. Choose one or more aspects of this challenge, create the scene and how you will use a combination of ability scores, race, background, skills, class features, spells, equipment. A. Assume you succeed on your check. Describe the result. B. Assume you fail your check. Describe the result, making it possible for the party to still succeed.

Once several applications have rolled in, you may decide to aid another applicant in his/her scene in the Skill Challenge. In that case, expand the original scene described by another applicant and describe your role in assisting. Do not god-mod (put words or actions into other applicants' mouths).
Variant rulesDue the nature of this survival adventure, we will make full use of the rules on encumbrance, tracking ammuntion and supplies, movement and exhaustion, etc. See PHB chapter 8.

Drop to zero HP = one level of exhaustion each time, cumulative. Each level of exhaustion can be removed with a long rest or lesser restoration or Paladin laying on hands. Likely to come into play in this one-shot.
Role before Roll!No one rolls a skill check until you thoroughly role-play the skill. Want to persuade a guard to let you in to see the Lord Mayor? Talk to the guard, provide a rational or deceptive argument, maybe threaten--never say simply "I roll Persuasion/Intimidation." Never say, "I search the room." Role-play your search like "I use my dwarf knowledge of stonework to test the flagstones on the floor, tapping each for a hollow sound or a thud" OR "I use my keen elf perception to check behind the tapestry, sliding my hands along the cracks in the wall, searching for secret compartments."

Some game mechanics rely on proficiency, expertise, feats, however, so it would be unfair to ignore those mechanics/rolls. Good role-playing will be rewarded with a bonus to your roll or a lower DC. Average role-playing receives no bonus or penalty. Poor or no role-playing will incur a penalty on your roll or a higher DC.

Story plus dice = success.
Rule of coolRule of cool will apply within reasonable limits (fair to other players; not game breaking). The rogue needs to borrow something like a battlemaster maneuver to avoid TPK? Epic! Can't save the fair maiden without changing Ice Storm spell to Icebridge? Awesome! Need divine intervention? Give it a shot! But... there will be consequences for overextending!

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 06-29-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Character Applications

playercharacterclassracenotes
bananabadgerAkuMonkHumancomplete
JaredSynHananiMonkElfcomplete
penbeast0RontaeRangerHalflingplease respond to a skill challenge prompt
psychicnomadFiona TericarWarlockHumancomplete
noquarter19Theodric "Theo" ZylmarisBardhalf-elfcomplete
Don CricriFlynry GoldfoundRangerhalflingcomplete

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 06-30-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:08 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2087
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posting interest.
Love the role before roll, the risk of dying, and having a set ending.
You've asked for DM input if we provide our own background. How would you like to do that ... for us to post our background in app and adapt it with your input? Run a background by you before placing it in an app? Something else?

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
You've asked for DM input if we provide our own background. How would you like to do that ... for us to post our background in app and adapt it with your input? Run a background by you before placing it in an app? Something else?
Welcome @bananabadger.

Just assume the background is acceptable if you follow the guidelines on p. 125 of the PHB. I assume you are wanting to customize for better RP, which is great!

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 06-13-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:20 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2087
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger

Character name: Aku the Beggar
Character sheet: Link to character sheet
Ability scores: 27 point buy (see character sheet)
Race and class: Human / Monk (Way of the Drunken Master)
Alignment: Lawful good
Appearance: Haggard, worn, wrinkled—he wears all of his years. One point in his favor is his thick head of hair, but then again that is common among alcoholics.
Background: Born the third son of a minor but respected noble family, Aku Falconcliff trained as a fighter and chose his jalstup (in his society, the year in a young noble man's life when they were free to roam the countryside before returning to take up their expected roles in the kingdom) to be a year of adventuring. Since all adventures begin in a tavern, Aku began his there. The problem was, that's also where he began a deep alcoholic stupor that kept him from his jalstup and, (he still marvels how it all went so quickly!) the next 20 years of his life. He chose sobriety—no, he wrestled out his sobriety—only after a terrible tragedy, after which he entered a monastery to serve for the past 10 years of his life, and where he continues to serve both his fellow monks and a master who insists (either out of wisdom or cruelty) on teaching Aku a fighting style that allows him to forget neither his past, nor his shame, nor his family whose lives he took.
Magic item: Potion of Water Breathing
Initiative: Based on dexterity

Old 06-15-2020, 03:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5155
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Character name: Hanani
Character sheet: WiP if Selected
Ability scores: Str: 10; Dex:17; Con:14; Int:12; Wis:12; Cha: 10
Race and class: Elf (Eladrin) Monk
Alignment:
Appearance: Hanani has a lithe build from years of physical training, though she is not overtly muscular. Her strength more focused on speed and agility than pure strength. She has long silver hair that to date has never been cut only lightly trimmed as needed. Her hair normally back and bound in bangles of various fashion, but nothing overtly expensive or valuable to anyone else. Simple token she has collected in her travels. Her eyes a deep blue like the clearest pools of deep water. She wears little in the way of clothing only that which protects her modesty. A simple wrap around her chest and collection of various necklaces again of little value, and loose fitting leggings that allow her freedom of movement.
Background: Monastic Student
Personality Traits: I judge people by their actions, not their words. If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend help.
Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.
Backstory: Hanani was born to a poor mother who's father had past away. Unable to barely provide for herself she knew she would not be able to provide for her child upon birth. So taking her child shortly after she was born, she left the child at a Monastery. She had heard the Monks of the Monastery were a kind sort who never turned away a child in need. Leaving the child at the doorstep she fled into the night after ringing the bell. Never to see her child again returning to the Feywild from whence she had come.

When the Master of the temple reached the door and saw the child he quickly picked up the infant and carried her inside. It was not uncommon for children to be left but Hanani was very much different from the other children usually left. Upon unwrapping the child he realized she was elven, much to his surprise for never before had an Elven child been left at their doorstep. Still he took the child and wrapped it in warm clothing and saw to its feeding on animals milk.

Over the years Hanani grew much slower than the other children in fact before she was even old enough to begin her training many students had come and gone from the temple. Still her Master raised her and when the time came even in his old age, he began her training in their way. Teaching her the ideaology of helping others who could not help themselves, and defending those to weak to defend themselves. Still Hanani's growth was far too slow for her Master and in time he passed on, leaving her to another Master who had returned from abroad.

It was a sad time for Hanani losing her Master and Mentor, but she knew the way of things, and focused herself to continue her training knowing that soon enough she to would be sent out into the world to find her own path and learn what life had to offer. All of the students who had been her age or arrived even after her had come and gone and some returned, a cycle of life that Hanani found frail in her steadfast youthfulness. Even the Master who had ceased to age had come and gone.

Finally completing her teachings she was given the marks of her order. The red pattern on her forehead and the staining of her fingers and toes red as well. She had spent her entire life in the Monastery and while she looked forward to the future she was also afraid. It was the way of things though and upon reaching maturity all students were sent out into the world. Taking her meager possessions she said her goodbyes and set forth, to do all she could to help those in need and defend those who could not defend themselves.

Since that day Hanani has continued her journey traveling from place to place doing what she can to help others. It is her greatest joy seeing those in need cared for and protected. It is her order's way to offer aid in any way they can. At the same time learning of the world beyond the Monastery and perfecting ones skills. Hanani knows that one day she will return and take up the mantle of Master to other young students and share what she has learned, and continue the education and instruction of those who will carry on into the future.

Magic item: Ring of Endure Elements
Initiative: Dexterity

Skill Prompt:
Quote:
Prompt 1: Your party is competing with other adventurers to find a lost treasure and claim it for your own. Both groups have the same ancient map of a nearby area, which contains unfamiliar symbols and an unknown script that cannot be read with a spell. Of the five landmarks shown, you recognize only one; perhaps the others are gone now. You can't even tell which way is north on the map. In order to get to the treasure first, you need to 1. decipher the map; 2. leave town in secret so you can't be followed; 3. pass through a dangerous wilderness; and 4. trick the guardian of the treasure. Choose one or more aspects of this challenge, create the scene and how you will use a combination of ability scores, race, background, skills, class features, spells, equipment. A. Assume you succeed on your check. Describe the result. B. Assume you fail your check. Describe the result, making it possible for the party to still succeed.
Hanani stood beside her companions as the group looked at the archaic map they had been given, supposedly leading to a lost treasure guarded by a powerful guardian. She had never really been of much use in deciphering maps and the like, her skill set going a completely different direction. Still she looked on using her Eladrin perception and Mon's insight to gauge if anything stood out that would help them determine their best path to the treasure or at least the first and second landmarks allowing them to continue from there. As the group began to piece things together Hanani looked to her companions. "We need to leave without the other group noticing so they cannot attempt to follow us once we do, either under the cover of darkness or individually and regroup at a designated point. "Perhaps we take turns leaving and going separate ways before regrouping at the first landmark. Perhaps even sneaking out of the Inn, using the back exit or stable!"

As the party agreed Hanani made her way towards the back of the inn and towards the back door, using her stealth to simply fade into the shadows of the dimly lit corridor, and out the back. Once outside closing the door quietly as not not arouse suspicion. Ensuring no one was following she moved through the back alleys using her stealth to blend into the crowd, until she was clear. Not seeing anyone following she moved through the streets quickly to the gate and out, running towards the first landmark where they had all agreed to meet. It took the others longer to arrive but once all had gathered they looked to the map once more Hanani using her keen Eladrin senses to keep a sharp eye out for any sign of the group having been followed. Once certain they were in the clear they moved on into the forest.

It appeared the next landmark was deep in the Haunted Glade, a area of woods rumored to be haunted by the ghosts of fallen travelers and other unfortunate souls. Hanani moved with all the grace of her training slowly placing each foot so as not to make undue noise. Of course her companions were not so light of foot, and Hanani quickly realized there was no point in trying to be quiet among her companions. They moved through the forest, stopping when she heard the sounds of a low whistle that almost sounded like a low moan. Placing her finger to her lips she quieted her companions and did her best using all of her training in stealth to sneak forward and catch a glimpse of what was making the noise. As she approached it was her keen senses that brought her to spot the long wooden tube hanging from a string as well as others the wind blowing causing them to make the sounds. Stopping she looked around and saw a small shelter built into the side of a tree.

Moving forward she knocked on the small door, and waited hoping for a reply. A few moments passed and then a deep guttural voice was heard from behind the door. "Who dares disturb the Warden." It was said in a menacing tone even though the voice that spoke the words was much higher pitched and very un-intimidating as she was certain it had meant to be. Smiling Hanani answered. "Apologies Warden we are simply passing through and I heard your wind chimes, they are most convincing, and had I not seen them I would have thought they were ghosts. A clever ruse to be sure, I am certain most who enter these words hear them and flee fearing for their lives. UnfortunatelyI am not one of them nor are my companions. I would ask your aid, though and promise we mean no harm to your woods. In fact we hope to remove a monster from them."

Last edited by JaredSyn; 06-16-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@JaredSyn, just assume the background is fine if you follow the guidelines on PHB p. 125.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1440
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Rontae
left-aligned image

Rontae of Baldur's Gate, urchin
UA Revised Ranger
Ghostwise Halfling (SCAG)
Magic Item: ?

Personality Traits: I never worry about tomorrow but live in the moment. I am always up for a new adventure.
Ideal: People. I help the people who help me-that's what keeps us alive.
Bond: Curiosity is my ruling passion, there is always something new and exciting to be discovered.
Flaw: I use smiles and humor to keep people at a distance.
Goal: Adventure: While he loves Baldur's Gate, it is time to spread his horizons, meet new people, see new things.

Why is he travelling? After many years (this from a street kid whose voice is still breaking), one's old places and acquaintances seem predictable and a bit dry. Tagging along on a Watch posse, I found myself out of the city and it was amazing. I felt so connected to the sky, the plants, the ground beneath my feet. It was almost a religious experience. Since then, I have taken every opportunity I could to travel the hills and dales of this amazing land and each time, it opens new wonders.

Appearance: Small, skinny, pale skin when it shows through the layer of dirt, Rontae seems a typical urchin. He seems a bit more graceful than most, a bit more likely to smile, a bit less obsequious. Although at first typical, after a minute or two you realize the urchin in front of you doesn't think of himself as poor or needy or starving. In fact, he seemed strangely confident. Why?

Personality: Although an urchin, Rontae isn't starving or abused. Instead he has a circle of strangely assorted people in the city who will feed him if he's hungry or let him sleep in a shed or stable if he needs to lie low. It's all about the favors. He does favors for people, not for money, though sometimes they tip, but just to create a balance where others will do favors for him if needed. And, of course, for the pleasure of the game.

Backstory: The son of a local back alley woman of fallen stature, Rontae knew nothing of his father. No name, no profession, only the remains of a battered badge with a Flaming Fist on it and an indecipherable parchment, which he carried strung like a charm around his neck. His mother had gone out at his birth and he had been passed around the other girls like a chartreuse blouse, leaving him with too much knowledge of humanoid nature and no real attachments. So in Baldur's Gate Rontae grew, surefooted in its slums, its back alleys, and its meeting spots where men and women go to be unseen by others.

RP Sample: Rontae sat, in defiance of municipal orders, on the great war catapult Grond on her platform of mounded earth; one of the two great engines which overlook the sloping plains that lead to the East Gate from which attacks on the city always came. Who hold Grond and her sister Guri, the "Bringers of Death," hold Baldur's Gate and therefore the Sword Coast for they are always the first line of defense against any attackers.

There was some cosmic reason in this for it was the watchmen of the Flaming Fist that held the city for the Duke and Rontae, though unknown and unacknowledged, was a son of a watchman. He had pushed off Faziros Velthos, the dragonborn son of the powerful sorcerer, Farmasch. The Empire of the Dragon had been a time of great magics and sorcery, but it had fallen from power long ago. "Let me up," cried Lorben Halfelven, whose family controlled the (legal) trade from the harbor that brought the city wealth, but Rontae would not let him climb the lever arm. Instead he hopped up and down in triumph, hooting a rude remark at one of the Fist posted at the gate, but they just smiled.

All the men of the Fist knew Rontae of old, he was practically a watchman himself, though not paid or on the rolls, and often invited himself along in an unofficial capacity when things looked interesting. All the herbalists, the sweetmeat sellers, and the ladies of negotiable virtue knew Rontae too, for this was Baldur's Gate, slumming in majesty amid the adventurers and the cutthroats of the Sword Coast.

Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by penbeast0; 07-01-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5155
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Hanani I believe is done at this point as well.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Two monks and a ranger so far. That's great and party composition doesn't matter, so more monks are fine.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I'm moving the application deadline back to allow more to apply. Anyone out there looking for a fun one shot?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:03 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 228
PsychicNomad PsychicNomad PsychicNomad
Warlock of the Raven Queen, Pact of the Blade / Tome
right-aligned image
Character name: Fiona Tericar
Character sheet: link
Ability scores: Standard array or point buy.
Race and class: PHB, DMG, Volo's, SCAG, EE, XGtE.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Appearance: brief description
Background: Choose from WoTC material or feel free to make a custom background (with DM input).
Backstory: Just a meaningful paragraph will do.
Magic item: Choose one item that is LESS THAN 299gp according to this list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8X...BicmpmUDg/view. Note the magic item in your application. Subject to DM approval.
Initiative: Pick from DEX, INT, and WIS for your modifier to your initiative roll. Record your choice in your application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiona-tericar.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	85561  

Last edited by PsychicNomad; 06-28-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Hello, I'm new to the site and new to 5e. I'd like to apply for the game if you'd have me, and if there is anything I missed in my character sheet, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Also, any spelling errors I attribute to my cat Paisley, who decided this was the perfect time to lie on my keyboard...

Application
left-aligned image

Character name: Theodric "Theo" Zylmaris
Race/class/alignment: Half-elf bard 3, chaotic good
Ability scores: 27 point buy

Magic item: Nolzur's Magical Pigments

Personality traits: I'll settle for nothing less than perfection. I change my mood or my mind as quickly as I change key in a song.
Ideals: Beauty. When I perform, I make the world better than it was. (Good)
Bonds: My instrument is my most treasured possession, and it reminds me of someone I love.
Flaws: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Background: Owing his passion for music to his elf mother, and his disdain for evil from the human who fathered him, Theodric "Theo" Zylmaris is a study in contrast. The pounding of drums - or was it only his beating heart - sounded in his ears, as Theo thought back to what little his mother had told him about the man who had forced himself upon her so long ago. While traveling, his mother met a human man claiming to have a lyre blessed by Corellon Larethian himself, and when she unwittingly followed him, discovered him to be nothing but a brute. This, and the discovery that he was a wealthy barrelmaker related to the captain of the city guard, led his mother to flee from her home and family. What followed were years of restlessness punctuated by beauty, as his mother raised him on the road while sharing her musical gifts with the patrons of countless roadside inns and homey taverns. Years of watching her practice her fingers raw and his own drive to match her skill had manifested themselves into talents nearly as great as hers - but never quite as good. Her lute was his now, the only thing he had left of hers. He would have given a thousand lutes to have her in his life again. As it is, Theo has three major goals in his life. The first is to return someday to the town of his father and see that justice is served. The second is to spread his gift of beautiful music across the land to raise the spirits of those who would listen. Lastly, his mother had been working on a complex musical piece before she passed, and Theo would dearly love to finish it and share it with the world - if his perfectionism allows it to ever truly be finished.

Writing Prompt: Prompt 2: You are sound asleep in your rooms on the second floor of the inn. Someone yells "Fire!" You need to escape the burning inn which is full of thick smoke and a large section of the floor on your escape route has collapsed. As you begin to find a way out, you remember that other men, women, and children were also guests and may be trapped on the second floor but you don't know which rooms. Some are too scared to move from the corner of their rooms. Some are burned badly by the flames. Parts of the structure begins to collapse. In order to get everyone out alive, you need to 1. avoid the flames and smoke inhalation; 2. find an alternate route where the structure has collapsed; 3. find and rescue the other patrons on the second floor; and 4. assist those burned by the flames. Choose one or more aspects of this challenge, create the scene and how you will use a combination of ability scores, race, background, skills, class features, spells, equipment. A. Assume you succeed on your check. Describe the result. B. Assume you fail your check. Describe the result, making it possible for the party to still succeed.

fire
The word flickered briefly through Theo's consciousness as the half-elf slumbered fitfully. It was early autumn, and the weather had turned chill and damp, but the shabby faded blanket was warmer than it looked and did much to cut the nip in the room. The room was small, hardly more than a closet, and the drafty window needed to be reshuttered, but the pillow was soft and the price was right. A half-elf bard, he had played to a gathering of perhaps fifteen people in return for his supper and board. Bert's was a ramshackle structure of indeterminate age. The inn looked like it had been built up in stages, and cheaply. The oldest part of the building was where the kitchen was nestled, and it seemed to have been converted haphazardly. The innkeeper's wife Hildy, who doubled as waitress, drearily scooped up empty ale mugs and ceramic chowder bowls as the patrons finished their meals. Between songs, Theo asked Hildy about the building. “Ayuh, t’was a bait shop first before it was an inn. Belonged to Bertram’s grandfather, it did. Bert’s Baits he called it, for he were a Bertram too, my Bertie’s namesake as it were. Still, not many fishing in the heart ‘o winter, and Bertie’s grandfather turned out to be a dab hand in the kitchen. You all set on your beer mug?” She talked while cleaning a table, never actually making eye contact with him as he set the half empty cup on her tray. She continued, “Anyway, his pride was his crab chowder, which proved to be quite popular when he shared it with his friends who lazed around his shop when they weren’t fishing, and ‘fore long the elder Bertram got it in his head to take a stab at running a kitchen. So Bert’s Baits became Bert’s Baits and Chowder Shop. Well, fishermen like to drink, and it was a few years later after he'd saved up a few gold that old Bert added the bar to the building, and of course that meant adding to the sign. By then elder Bertram was quite old, and his son Bertram, my Bertie's pa, took over. Not long after, they added the inn to give the drunks a place to sleep it off. Had to shorten the name to just Bert's, though - when they tried to add more to the sign, the chain broke. Anyway, now it's my Bertie's cross to bear. Excuse me, I've got cleaning to do."

fire
That word again. Theo turned over in his sleep. The patrons of Bert's had begged him for more songs, and though weary from the road, the bard was quick to indulge. It was very late at night, perhaps even early in the morning, when he had begged off for rest and thanked the guests for their praise. The shutter was banging listlessly against the window when he made his way to his room, and he swore even in the dim light he could see his breath. He had wrapped the thick blanket around him like a shroud and tried to get what sleep he could. And he dreamed. His mother was there, walking with him, exploring the world in his subconscious like they had done in life before the plague had taken her. They saw sunny shores, and cold, snowcapped mountains. Cold. So cold. He had been cold, had been shivering under the blanket, but now as he stirred, he saw through one cracked eye the blanket had fallen to the floor. And the hearthless room was warm, balmy even. Theo's eye slowly began to close.

"FIRE! HELP!"
Alert in an instant, Theo's hand was suddenly clutching the dagger that had been moments before under his pillow. Something was clearly wrong, but for a moment Theo's normally sharp senses were dulled by lack of sleep. The darkvision he had inherited from his mother seemed to be obscured, and he briefly wondered if he were going blind. Then his other senses kicked in, and he smelled the air. The room was filled with roiling smoke, but he could see no active flame. He slid off the bed and got as low as possible. His lute, pack, and the rest of his goods were where he had left them. He had slept in his clothes for the warmth, so it was hardly a moment for him to gather his gear. He grabbed the blanket off the floor and quickly wrapped it around his hand like a cocoon. The door was shut by a simple cast iron drop bar latch, and he used the blanket to open the door and avoid burning his hand.

The hallway was a conflagration. Flames licked between the wooden slats of the walls like snakes tongues. There were two doors to the right of Theo's room. Another door lay across the hall, and four more to the left. The hall was constructed in an L-shape, with the shorter leg leading to a descending staircase. At either end of the long hall was a window. Theo recalled the inn had been about half full, but had no idea which rooms were occupied, or even if anyone had gotten out in time. He coughed. The air was thick with smoke, and he forced himself to nearly a crawl to escape the worst of it. Another scream pierced the air, and among the sounds of crackling timbers, he could hear other voices rising in panic. A scream for help, this from a thin, childlike voice. He recalled there had been a small boy last night at dinner, sitting with an older man with thinning black hair. The boy sounded close to tears.

"I'm here! Come out of your room!" Theo shouted "Come out of your rooms, all of you, and stay low! The inn is on fire!" He could hear weeping and coughing. The boy's voice rose again, to his right. "I can't see! There's too much smoke!" A fit of coughing interrupted him. "I'm scared, sir!" Theo edged closer to the boy's room, across the hall to the right of his own. "I'm scared too, boy. It's ok to be a little scared, but now we need to be brave, both of us. Stay low to the floor, it'll be easier to breathe. Now, boy, is there anyone in the room with you?" The boy's voice called back, lower to the floor and muffled slightly. "My pa is here, but he's not moving." Theo cursed softly to himself. "Okay, stay where you are for now, I'm just outside your room now." The origin of the fire was a mystery, but the flames seemed to be heavier closer to the staircase, between them and the exit. Theo opened the boy's room.

The smoke was not nearly as thick as it had been in his own room, and it was inconceivable that the man should have asphyxiated when his son still lived. Moving closer, Theo could smell the remnants of beer belches and realized the man was passed out drunk. Anger flashed through Theo's mind and just as quickly subsided. Not the time or place. Still... His hand lashed out, twice, slapping the man on both cheeks. There was a sudden perplexed groan. "Wuzzat? Whozerre?" Theo grabbed the man's lapels and pulled. "You need to wake up, sir, the building is on fire." One glazed eye opened in puzzlement. "Who...you...you're that elf, the bard from last night. What are you doing in my room? Where's my son! If you touched him!" Theo sighed. He slapped the man again. "Do I have your attention yet? The building is on fire! Your son is there on the floor, staying low and safe. We need to get out of here - successful intimidateNOW." Strangely, the man was suddenly sober. Theo led both of them out of the room. The smoke was thicker now, the heat more intense. Theo turned to the man and spoke directly. "Stay low, and stay in the middle of the hall. Go all the way down the hall. The stairs will be on the right once you reach the wall. I'm sorry I hit you sir. Now keep that boy of yours safe. GO!" The two scuttled off toward safety.

Okay, he thought, now for the rest. He was finding it harder to breathe, despite nearly crawling, but dared not break the nearby window for fear of fanning the flames. Inspiration struck, and he grabbed the lute strapped to his back. Music filled the hall and mixed with the crackling of flames creating the effect of a satanic musical act. He played louder, and slowly saw doors begin to open as the other guests were successful performance checkdrawn toward the sound of the music.

He would say later how it felt like hours from waking to eventually reaching safety on the ground below, but reality in the form of a pajama-clad merchant's pocketwatch told him that events had unfolded in less than fifteen minutes. Theo recalled making his way down the hall toward the staircase, looking into room after room in search of any stragglers. The innkeeper's room and another guest room were the only closed doors. The guest room was practically cinders, and looked to be the most heavily burned. Theo could see glowing red metal on the floor in the vague shape of a lantern. failed perception checkOf a body, he could see nothing. There was no more he could do here. He turned to the door of the innkeeper's room.

Running an inn must be exhausting work, because even with the noise and the heat, Bertie and Hildy were still asleep. Their window was half open to let in the cool night air which went a long way toward keeping the middle aged couple from asphyxiating. Unfortunately, as soon as Theo opened the door, the sudden inrush of air into the room created a vortex of heat and sparks which fanned the flames behind him. Theo rushed to the bed and began shaking the couple. "Wake up! The inn is aflame!" He coughed, and moved toward the window, trying to breathe. Bert, awake at last, scrambled to his feet. "Hildy!" he screamed, hopping on one foot while putting a leather moccasin on the other, "wake up, the roof could go at any minute!" And tragically, his words proved too prophetic, for with a crackling of timbers and a shower of sparks, the roof at the corner of the hall gave way, falling in to completely block the flight of stairs downward to safety. A beam dropped down, pinning Bert to the floor, his other moccasin just out of reach.

Time was running out, the structure was collapsing, and now a man was pinned. Theo raced to his side, noting the funny angle Bert's leg was in. He gripped the oak log with hands now beginning to blister, and tried to lift. failed strength checkThere was a slight movement, the beam rolled a little, but Bert was just as stuck as before. Theo panted from the effort, the room beginning to spin as carbon monoxide began to invade his bloodstream. "I'm... sorry..." he gasped out, and began to slump.

Strong hands grabbed him and heaved him toward the window, toward the smoke-free air that lay without. Hildy, finally awoken -bitterly- from sleep,had picked him up like a rag doll. Weighing barely ten stone, it was easy for the firewood-chopping, laundry-lugging, workhorse of an innkeeper's wife to move Theo to relative safety. A few quick breaths of cool autumn air, and the world began to regain some focus. Hildy had made quick work of the beam, and now half-dragged, half-carried her injured husband toward the window. "Stairs are out," she grumbled. "Your rope, elf, and be quick. Oh don't give me that look, every adventurer like you has got rope squirreled away. Bertie's pa didn't know anything about carpentry and I don't know how the rest of this hovel hasn't already fallen down around our ears. The bedpost should do well enough to anchor it, and do hurry, I don't relish throwing Bertie and breaking his other fool leg." Chuckling to himself in spite of the situation, he grabbed the rope from his pack and hitched it to the bedpost. It was perhaps no more than twenty feet to the ground, but Bert was a simple cook who preferred his feet on the ground, and the thought of scaling a rope down the side of a burning building was clearly beyond the man's courage. He began to whimper while trying to keep his leg steady. With a look of disgust masking affection, Hildy plopped her injured husband on the bed. "Oof," he muttered as the bones in his leg ground. She took no notice, turning instead to the window and, using a pillow, punched the window out of its frame to the rocky ground below. Theo had little time to marvel at this indomitable woman, as she had already climbed halfway out the window. "Elf, my husband, please. Bert, put your arms around my neck, but do your best not to choke me. Yes, I'm sure you've dreamed of it before, but I promise it won't be in your best interest if you do. Elf," she said softly, "we will see you safely below. Do not linger long." And with that, she began to scale down the rope.

It was but a moment for Theo to scale the rope once the couple was safely descended. The timing was fortuitous, as the roof over the couple's bed collapsed moments later. The rest of the guests had gathered below, their sparkling eyes reflecting the light of the flames. Other townspeople had gathered to watch, while men with pails headed toward the shoreline for water. It was clear Bert's was a lost cause, but the focus was on wetting the surrounding buildings to prevent the flames from spreading. The guests praised him as a hero for helping to gather them from their rooms and lead them to safety. The young boy from the room across the hall raced toward him, dragging his reluctant father, and wrapped his arms around Theo's leg. "I'm glad to see you safe, boy," Theo said, patting the child's head. He turned to the boy's father. "Bard," the man said, "I owe you my life, as well as my son's. You have my sincere thanks." The man reached out his hand. Shaking it, Theo replied "Repay me by taking care of your boy. Children need fathers who are caring as well as strong. And ease up on the ale - you're his role model" He turned to the innkeeper and his wife. Bert was lying on the ground in pain, his leg propped on the pillow Hildy had used to punch out the window. Bert groaned, "My grandfather's inn, I can't believe it's gone." His wife scoffed, "And thank the gods for that. If I had to wash one more crusty bowl..." Burt spotted Theo, and called out, "Hail Theodric, you have saved our lives and the lives of all of our guests! We are in your debt!" Hildy, standing behind him, still looked dour, but there was a softness in her eyes as she looked at Theo. The bard knelt before Bert. "No thanks needed, sir, I was simply in the right place to lend a hand. And, though I cannot mend bone, Cure wounds to heal 1d8+3perhaps a gentle melody might ease your pain?."But as Theo strummed, his mind was elsewhere. That last guest room, the fallen lantern, had he missed something? Could he have done anything even if someone had been in there? The room had been almost completely consumed. There was no indication from any of the other survivors that anything was amiss, that another guest was not present. Still. The thought tickled, but there was nought for it.

By morning, Bert's was ashes, but the fire was out. And Theodric Zylmaris was already miles down the road.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noquarter19 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the site and new to 5e. I'd like to apply for the game if you'd have me, and if there is anything I missed in my character sheet, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Looks finished. Thanks for taking such a long time to respond to the prompt! Great story telling.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Don Cricri Don Cricri
Dear fromthe1980s
the settings looks great and I'd like to apply with a ranger character.
I hope I have properly filled the application but in case I did missed something please let me know and I'll edit accordingly

Application
Character name: Flynry Goldfound
Race and class: Lightfoot Halfling, Ranger (hunter)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Folk Hero

Traits: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to help
Ideals: Sincerity. There’s no good in pretending to be something
Bonds: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land
Flaws: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Magic item: Potion of invisibility

Initiative:Dexterity

Ranger Feats:
  • Fighting Style: Archery
  • Favored Enemy: Fiend (but can change if the DM wants a different one for storytelling purpose)
  • Natural Explorer: Mountain
  • Special Action: Horde Breaker (ranger lvl3)

In Character Sample Writing
Prompt 1

Last edited by Don Cricri; 06-30-2020 at 08:34 AM.