Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Knights of Barovia

Game NameKnights of Barovia
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeDark, gritty, horror, redemption
FlavourVampire, Bad guys turned good, maybe.
Plot SummaryKnights of Barovia:
left-aligned image

Rolling thunderclouds cast a gray pall over the land of Barovia. A deathly stillness hangs over the dark woods, which are patrolled constantly by Strahd's wolves and other servitors. The evergreen trees of the Svalich Woods climb the sides of the mountains that enclose the valley. The largest of these peaks is Mount Baratok, with its snow-covered cap and rugged slopes. Baratok's slightly smaller twin, Mount Ghakis, is mostly bald with tufts of trees here and there. Between these two mountains stands Lake Zarovich, which is fed by streams of ice-cold water pouring down the face of Mount Baratok. On the south side of the lake rests the town of Vallaki, enclosed by a palisade. West of the two mountains, atop a hill, stands the Abbey of Saint Markovia, around which the Barovians built a walled village named Krezk. Between Vallaki and Krezk lie the ruins of Argynvostholt, the fallen bastion of a knightly order called the Order of the Silver Dragon, wiped out by Strahd and his army. East of the mountains lies the village of Barovia, shrouded in mist and bereft of walls and defenses. The dark silhouette of Castle Ravenloft looks down on this village from its perch atop a one thousand-foot-high column of rock known as the Pillarstone of Ravenloft.

The inhumanly cry of a murder of ravens shatters the eerie silence overhead. A lowered drawbridge of old, shored-up wooden beams stretches across the chasm, between you and the archway to the courtyard. The chains of the drawbridge creak in the wind, their rust-eaten iron straining under the weight. From atop the high walls, stone gargoyles stare at you out of their hollow eye sockets and grin hideously. A rotting wooden portcullis, green with growth, hangs above the entry tunnel. Beyond this location, the main doors of Ravenloft stand open. A rich, warm light spills from within, flooding the courtyard. Torches flutter sadly in sconces on both sides of the open doors.

You have been summoned by the General for a special mission, likely another fruitless one, as it has been for the past one hundred years but you must answer the call. As you enter the courtyard of the castle, dismal rain begins to fall, lightning routinely lights the sky, followed by peals of thunder that make the castle shudder. Thick, cold fog swirls in this courtyard. Sporadic flashes of lightning lance the weeping clouds overhead as thunder shakes the ground. Through the drizzle, you see torch flames fluttering on each side of the keep's open main doors. Warm light spills out of the entrance, flooding the courtyard. High above the entrance is a round window with shards of broken glass lodged in its iron frame. Standing before the main doors is a figure, large by human standards, clad in blackened plate armor except for his head. His malicious grin made even more gruesome by the scars that mar his face, General Daedalus Karnack awaits your arrival.

right-aligned image
"Oi, About time you shook your old bones and found your way here. The Count says he heard tell of that hunter, Von Richten coming from his eyes and ears in Vallaki. Go there and capture him. It shouldn't be hard to catch one old man with a death wish." He turns and enters the manor doors, his armor creaking and clacking as he vanishes within, leaving you to your mission. You and your allies proceed immediately to the stables and each to your steeds, hellish spawns of the Count's own nightmare, jet black horses with fiery orange eyes that can run for days without tiring. You and your allies ride out into the misty darkness that has become commonplace and down the mountain from the castle, following the winding path, your steeds churn the dirt of the road into a morass of mud. You wind past the dilapidated windmill, the Bonegrinder, that holds the coven of hags and their dream pastries until you enter the Svalich Wood. Lightning mimics daylight as it cuts a jagged line through the sky, closely followed by the roar of thunder. You and your allies don't pause despite the many glowing eyes that seem to pop up all around you throughout the forest, the creatures know better than to attack the anointed knights of Count Zarovich.

The Old Svalich Road meanders into a valley watched over by dark, brooding mountains to the north and south. You and your allies reign in your Nightmares. The woods recede, revealing a sullen mountain burg surrounded by a wooden palisade. Thick fog presses up against this wall, as though looking for a way inside, hoping to catch the town aslumber. The dirt road ends at a set of sturdy iron gates with a pair of shadowy figures standing behind them. Planted in the ground and flanking the road outside the gates are a half-dozen pikes with wolves' heads impaled on them. You have arrived at the familiar Mourning Gate of Vallaki Village.

Details:
-DND 5e, 4 Level 10 players with the added Vampire Below'template'
-Players have been the Knights of the Count for over a hundred years, but you had lives before, likely that of adventurers that stumbled into Ravenloft. For the first time in a hundred years, the Count's control over you is waning.
-Equipment: You will each have a choice of +1 armor and a series of +1 weapons that fits your character's style, background and 1 pack of supplies from the PHB and a coin pouch of 100 gold.
-Stats: 27 point buy
-HP: Max for first level, average every level after.
-General Daedalus Karnack: General Daedalus is the last general of Count Zarovich's waning elite forces. He commands a measly force of four vampire knights and although they are quite capable and powerful, they number only four.
-Soft Deadline: Monday , July 6th.

Application:
Picture: sizable, 250x250 or close.
Name:
Race:
Class:
Background:
Personality traits: 2 traits and 1 of each other one. These traits pertain to your past life and may not have governed your character once they became vampires.
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:
Personality:
Appearance:
Backstory:
RP Sample: Something new or a link to an old post. Something to give me an idea of how you post normally.

Player Character Race Class Status
Jasontheswift Tharival "Red-Eye" Sianod Dusk Elf Ranger (Gloomstalker) WIP
Jaredsyn Jhazalle Nulvelith Half-drow Paladin/Warlock (Hexblade) Complete
Zinrokh Ragnar Cragstalker Human Barbarian (Totem Warrior) Withdrawn
Tomplum Mathias Covaci Human Wizard (Necromancer) Complete
Johnstone Saphira the Shadowblade Human Monk (Shadow)/Warlock (Blade) WIP
Juikej Mikhail Dinlok Human Cleric (War Domain) Complete
Fayeflight Rowan Voclain Human Wizard (Divination) Withdrawn
Voodoozombie Raven Human Paladin (Conquest) Complete
Aelariana Whisper Half-elf Bard/Rogue WIP
Trmmilwwi Vilfaren Kinvara Wood Elf Bard/Barbarian WIP
Night of Blood Veranas Darkraven Human Fighter (Cavalier) WIP
Snakeoilcharmer Kapow Kenku Monk (Open Hand) Complete

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Yesterday at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2243
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
I assume the players are being coaxed into being fighters only due to being vampire knights ? Or is that just more flavour than a class restriction ?
Old 06-13-2020, 02:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
In this case, I am using the definition of knight as warriors that utilize horses in combat like in the movie King Arthur. Even if you ride into combat, you can dismount. I would never push my players into a certain class. But you all get horses...to be precise...Nightmares
Old 06-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Sounds interesting. Could I play a Dusk Elf ? Oh and is there any restriction on Xanathar's guide ?

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 06-13-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
App - WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Tharivol "Red-Eye" Sianod
Race: Dusk Elf
Class: GloomstalkerRanger
Background: Hunter and TannerGuild Artisan
Personality traits:1. I don't part with my money easily and will haggle tirelessly to get the best deal possible.
2. I’m well known for my work, and I want to make sure everyone appreciates it. I'm always taken aback when people haven’t heard of me.
Ideal: Freedom. Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood. (Chaotic)
Bond: I pursue wealth to secure someone’s acceptance.
Flaw: I’ m never satisfied with what I have— I always want more.
Personality:

Appearance:

Backstory

RP Sample

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 06-14-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:03 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Jasontheswift: Link me the stats for a dusk elf unless they are in the PHB. My mind is a bit fuzzy on everything in the PHB lol
Old 06-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
They are from Curse of Strahd. According to a wiki they count as wood elves as far as stats go they are just reflavoured.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dusk Elf is fine. I don't have Xanathar's so ask first...but no promises.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 968
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
How would this Orc race work? It's also found in Volo's but this is the website info for it.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Herb: Orc is fine to use but I want a compelling story as to why/how they ended up in Ravenloft and how they impressed Count Zarovich a hundred years ago.

@Jasontheswift: Gloomstalker is fine to use.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5155
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
So are we playing evil characters primarily? Just curious since we are serving Strahd. Also another question if we are going evil will you accept an evil paladin/warlock hexblade build. Some people don't like evil paladins.

Last edited by JaredSyn; 06-13-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Name: Jhazalle Nulvelith
Race: Half-Drow Elf
Class: Paladin/Warlock
Background: Faction Agent
Personality traits: I believe if everyone shared the beliefs of my faction the world would be a better place. Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself a capable member of my faction by mirroring my actions to faction ideals.
Bond: I owe my life to a faction Stalwart who took me in when my parents died.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Personality: Jhazalle is the kind of person who is driven to succeed no matter what the circumstances. Her entire life she never fit in born of a human slave and a drow father in the underdark. Growing up a half blood Drow did not afford her many benefits. Even though her appearance was almost purely Drow in nature. Fortunately for her she was the daughter of a noble house and her father was able to teach her to pass for a drow most often, even still she grew up as a servant to her father's house, it was better than the salves had at least. She learned quickly if you do not look out for yourself no one else will. Even so she was not like the other members of the house, while self sufficient she was not outright evil.
Appearance: Jhazalle is a highly attractive half drow elven woman. Her ancestry from her drow father showing through in her dark grey skin tone and long white hair and red eyes. She has a lithe slender build, and carries herself with a sense of dignity at all times. She is 5'8" inches in height and weighs a light 125 pounds.
Backstory:

RP Sample: Sample in game I am DMing. This is an NPC

Character Sheet

Last edited by JaredSyn; 06-14-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:13 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@JaredSyn: Your life before being turned can be anything but you were level 10 before you were turn and it's likely you weren't a willing servant for a hundred years but rather under his control as his spawn/thrall. It would likely please Strahd more to turn those that are unwilling in the first place, more to show his power. As far as Paladin /Warlock. Any paladin abilities associated with a conflicting deity to whatever entity that your character made a pact with that lets you draw warlock powers you might not have access to. My thoughts: A paladin of Ancients serving Eldath, a god of nature but then making a pact with an Archfey, just a more powerful entity along the lines with Eldath. Your character would still have paladin and warlock powers VS. a Paladin of Helm who makes a pact with a Fiend or Cthulu might lose any paladin abilities associated with worship to Helm.
Does that make sense?

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 06-14-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Well She is taking Hexblade which means shadow realm and Worship the Raven Queen so everything would jive. SO you prefer we are not necessarily evil it sounds.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
As long as the players aren't openly repelling, attempting to harm the one another's characters lol

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 06-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.