Old 06-14-2020, 09:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
DedUp DedUp
Tales of Gaia

Tales of Gaia: A Strangeness in Canghen

ThemeInvestigate the mysterious goings on in and around a small logging village.

FlavorFantasy homebrew world with some Earth analogues.

Brief World SummaryOver 1400 years ago the world of Gaia was assaulted by a massive dragon from the moon. This attack not only scarred the world, but toppled the great empires of the dragonborn and the golden skinned high men who called themselves the Xoestriad. This devastating event is referred to as The Calamity. The Calamity rendered the Xoestriad extinct and the dragonborn are not far behind them, living in small communities built within the ruins of their glorious strongholds.

Since that time, the human race has flourished and currently dominates the surface. The elves are content in their forest domains but defend it fiercely from interlopers. The dwarves continue to dwell under the mountains and enjoy strong alliances with the rock gnomes, who have worked closely with them since the Calamity, and humans, who came to their aid during the Dwarven Crusades. The halflings have carved out a nation of their own, wresting the territory from goblinoid hordes in The Great Goblin War. The forest gnomes remain mostly hidden from all except the elves, though some have begun to grow curious about the human realms. The Jehdite and Gaianist religions rival each other, but these days differences between believers usually only escalate to heated arguments. The world is currently in a relative state of peace, though things are stirring.

Plot SummaryYou have joined a caravan traveling from the city of Verdenholdt in the kingdom of Werhgeist to the city of Okaden in the distant country of Helacia in the southeast. So far the journey has been uneventful, but as you travel through the northern part of the Kingdom of Faltragar, the caravan master, Solus Reshard, decides to make a stop in the village of Canghen. As the caravan sets up camp outside of the village you are approached by a local boy. He briefly looks you over before handing you a letter...

About the GameNumber of Players: 4 (new players are welcome to apply)

Posting Rate: Once a week minimum. I most likely will be able to post more frequently if the pace of the group is faster.

Starting Level: 1

Attributes: Roll 2 sets of 4D6 drop the lowest. Keep the set you prefer. No rolling in the thread. Attributes will be rolled after players are selected.

HP: Max first level then roll on level up.

This is a short adventure I had come up with a while ago (at least I think it will be short). I originally wrote it for the Greyhawk setting, but over the past months I had come up with ideas for my own setting so I adapted it. I made this adventure as a way to help me get a feel for DMing. If we can make it to the end of the adventure and we all enjoy ourselves, I’d like to continue with the selected group to explore other parts of this setting in new adventures. This adventure should take the characters to level 2.

ApplicationName:
Race: (All PHB including Variant Human, Tiefling Subraces from Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes and Aasamar from Volo’s Guide to Monsters are allowed.)
Class: (All PHB, SCAG, XGTE, Ravnica’s Circle of Spores Druid & Order Domain Cleric are allowed + the UA Revised Ranger with 1 adjustment listed in the house rules below.)
Background: (All published permitted as long as they fit the setting. I will also allow custom backgrounds as per pg 125 of the PHB. Feel free to customize the Traits, Flaws, Ideals & Bonds.)
Alignment: (While I will consider evil characters, I will be looking at them more closely to make sure they will work well with the party and adventure.)
Description: (A short written description of the character's physical traits. A portrait would be nice but it’s not mandatory.)
Personality: (A short description of the character's personality.)
Back Story: (No more than a paragraph or two is required, though it’s fine if you want to write more.)

House Rules

About MyselfI’ve not actually gotten to play pnp rpgs all that often in my life and have DMed even less. Most of my rpg experience comes from video games and gamebooks from the 80s. Despite this, I still like to buy and read through various RPG system books even though I may never end up actually playing them. I’ve been in a few pbp games here but unfortunately none have lasted very long, so I figured why not try my hand at DMing something and see how I like it. I’m not sure what my DMing style is going to end up being like, so I guess it’s something I’ll figure out as I go along.

Current Applications:
User Name Character Name Class Status
MarsColumus Dáinn the Red Cleric (Life) Complete
Boltz Paladin (Vengeance) WIP
briar Sveltanna Belgrandt Withdrawn
JaredSyn Jhazalle Nulvelith Warlock (Pact of the Blade) Complete
PsychicNomad Markus Viente Ranger (Hunter) Withdrawn
Krow Nest Nax Sorcerer Complete
Chaos Havik Wrthia Stormbringer Barbarian Complete
danab Kael Karras Fighter (Champion) Complete
DeepFriedWyzard Wizard Withdrawn
tomplum Raslasar Accik Bard Complete
GoombaJosh Olivia V'lain Sorcerer (Divine Soul) Complete
Wyrom Barduck Ninel Wizard (Illusion) Complete
Scot Thomas Aerwyn Naenti Elnyn Cleric (Life) Withdrawn
Daendil Dae-Won Fighter (Archer) Complete

When you have finished your application make a post saying that you're finished or PM me and I will update the table.

APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON JULY 5

Last edited by DedUp; Yesterday at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added application table.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp
Below is some general information on the world of Gaia to give you an idea of how the races and classes fit in. It is not mandatory for you to read the whole thing. I would suggest only reading parts that will help you with your character’s backstory. Please feel free to ask if you have questions.

Geography of the Known World

Gaia Calendar and Timeline

Races of Gaia

Classes

Religion

Last edited by DedUp; 06-14-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 973
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
WIP
Name: Dáinn the Red, son of Mótsognir Jötunnslayer, of Clan BloodAxe

Race: DumadinAge: 78 Gender: Male

Alignment: LN Class: The Hallowed Order of Healers (Cleric-Life Domain)Patron Saint: Lucianna the Healer

Description: At 4'10", Dáinn is a dense 155 pounds. He has read hair and a ruddy complexion. Dáinn tends to dress in browns or muted colors because he thinks it helps him blend in with his surroundings. He has the habit of tugging his beard braids while thinking.

Personality: Dáinn's biggest flaw in life is that he's truthful. Not to say there is something intrinsically wrong with the truth, but blunt truth without tact is usually not what people want to here. As a city born dwarf living in the Foreigner's Ward quickly learned book-smarts doesn't always put food on the table or help you in a fight. Accordingly, he holds people with street smarts in higher esteem than those with a fancy education. The quickest way to earn Dáinn's admiration is to fight besides him and prove you know what you're doing. For a Dwarf he is extremely non-covetous of most material wealth; he sees the value in what it could do for him but money for money's sake is not in his blood. However, magical items and well crafted armor and weapon's do bring out a bit of greed in him. His one vice in life is smoking and his favorite pipe is made from cherry-wood.

Background: Mercenary Veteran
  • Personality Traits: He must protect the innocent from evil.
    He is incredibly slow to trust. Those whom seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
  • Ideal: Faith. He trusts that his deity will guide his actions. He has faith that if he works hard, things will go well.
  • Bond: Getting his clanhold back is his lifelong mission.
  • Flaw: He judges others harshly, and himself even more severely.
Clan Bloodaxe: Clan Bloodaxe was founded by Reggin, son of Ulric Goblinbane. The clans main export where copper and semi-precious gems though a vein of silver also graced their mines. While not the wealthiest of the clans, they were prosperous enough. For five generations the clan continued to grow as the menace of Tsar, continued to grow. Ulgang Bloodaxe, the fifth High Thane of the clan heard the pleas of the neighboring human kingdom. Taking his great great grandfather's axe, Regginsleif, he took a third of the clans warriors and joined the Army of Light led by the Holy Kingdom of Abadel knights. A half dozen years later, Ulfgang's brother Alvrid was named the sixth High Thrane as the clan despaired of ever seeing Ulric again. Unfortunately, Alvrid's reign was not a good one- the clanhold was besieged by giants from above and goblinoids from below. After twenty three years of fighting an ever increasing losing battle, the hold was abandoned and the clan went into diaspora. Mótsognir Jötunnslayer is a direct descendant of Alvrid. With Mótsognir approaching 200 years of age, Dáinn wishes to see his father on the throne. But without Regginsleif Dáinn does not think enough of the clan would heed a call to reclaim the clanhold. Dáinn believes with all his heart that the last resting place of Ulfgang Bloodaxe is Raven Peak. It is there that he will someday begin his search for Regginsleif.

Tsar: Tsar was born six score years ago. He was a half-dragon whose father was an adult red dragon and his mother a skilled sorcerer. Tsar learned early on that his parents were not going to give him anything he did not earn by force or guile. By his teens he was already a bloodthirsty menace to the surrounding lands of the Cloudfang Mountains. On his 21st naming day Tsar made a pact with the devil/quasi-deity Tiamat and became her champion. Over the proceeding decades the half-dragon cultivated alliances with 5 chromatic dragons, one of each color, while building up his army of Mostly hill giants and ogres with a half dozen ettinsgiant-kin, hobgoblin mercenaries, kobolds, orcs, dragon cultists and a few other half-dragons as legion commanders. Three decades ago, Tsar began his conquest, his army swooping down upon the Forest of Fallen Stars and Faltragar. Next he set sights on the kingdom of Orls which sent out a call for help. The Holy Abadel rallied its knights and contingents from Agara, Helecia and Kesa, along with dwarves and elves and anyone willing to join. They called it the Army of Light. A fierce battle was fought in Orls- when two of the dragons fell the other three retreated turning an almost victory into a defeat. Blocked from the north by a contingent of the Army of Light, Tsar's forces retreated east into the Raven Peaks. After a half-dozen years of fighting in the mountains, Tsar's forces where totally broken and the Army of Light disbanded. Many heroes and villains lay dead. Among them, three bodies of half-dragons were recovered. However, since Tsar wore a great helm all the time, no one was able to positively identify any of the three as him. Still, most believe him dead as he has not stirred in the last two decades.

Backstory: Dáinn had heard stories from his grandfather and father of one of their ancestors, Ulfgang Bloodaxe, who accompanied the Army of Light never to be seen again. As the eldest in the family at the time he carried the family heirloom, a magical axe named Regginsleif (Reggin's Legacy). Dáinn wishes to recover the axe that once belonged to his clan's founder.

Knowing that he needed seasoning the young dwarf joined a mercenary company, the Steel Legion. The company's chaplain, Vandalf, a Khazadin cleric, took Dáinn under his wing and taught him the ways of the Dwarven Orthodox Church. He served several tours with the
Steel Legion before mustering out. Dáinn caught onto the first caravan headed away from the company. He hopes to become an adventurer to hone his skills at killing giants and goblinoids.

Writing Sample:

Last edited by MarsComulus; 06-17-2020 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:28 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2194
Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz
application
right-aligned image
Name:
Race: Half-Elf
Alignment: LN
Class: Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)
Patron God: Chernobog
Description:
Personality:
Background:
Old 06-15-2020, 03:37 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1356
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Question:

Are the domains for clerics and their religious orders a hard requirement? I assume so, given that the paladin's oath locks them into a certain religion so I was wondering if it was the same for clerics? Just curious.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:35 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
WIP
This character concept is withdrawn. Thank you for the consideration.

Last edited by briar; 06-16-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5155
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Name: Jhazalle Nulvelith
Race: Half-Drow Elf
Class: Warlock (Pact of Blade Path)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Faction Agent
Personality traits: I believe if everyone shared the beliefs of my faction the world would be a better place. Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself a capable member of my faction by mirroring my actions to faction ideals.
Bond: I owe my life to a faction Stalwart who took me in when my parents died.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Personality: Jhazalle is the kind of person who is driven to succeed no matter what the circumstances. Her entire life she never fit in born of a human and a drow father in the Underdark. Growing up a half blood Drow did not afford her many benefits. Even though her appearance was almost purely Drow in nature. Fortunately for her she was the daughter of a noble house and her father was able to teach her to pass for a drow most often. She learned quickly if you do not look out for yourself no one else will. She is not quick to trust but once she does, you have a friend for life. She believes in being true to others as well as oneself. Deceit is a path to darkness, and she prefers to walk among the light.
Appearance: Jhazalle is a highly attractive half drow elven woman. Her ancestry from her drow father showing through in her dark grey skin tone and long white hair and red eyes. She has a lithe slender build, and carries herself with a sense of dignity at all times. She is 5'8" inches in height and weighs a light 125 pounds.
Backstory:

Last edited by JaredSyn; 06-19-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
Question:

Are the domains for clerics and their religious orders a hard requirement? I assume so, given that the paladin's oath locks them into a certain religion so I was wondering if it was the same for clerics? Just curious.
Yes, being an initiate to one of the clerical orders is a hard requirement if it's listed for the domain. The powers of a Jehdite cleric and their domains are gained through the initiate going through special rituals and specific training.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp
@ JaredSyn

The app looks good, but you'll have to change a couple a couple of details in the personality section to better match your backstory.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Fixed apologies.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
That's fine, I was just wondering if Domains and their Orders could be interchanged, but I'll operate assuming not. Thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 228
PsychicNomad PsychicNomad PsychicNomad
changed my mind, sorry

Last edited by PsychicNomad; 06-15-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp
I've added an applications table to the opening post. Once your character is complete, make a post or PM me confirmation that you're done and I will update the table.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Jhazele is done I believe I welcome feedback.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp
Happy to give feedback, despite being an inexperienced DM, to anyone who asks.