twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 01:42 AM
Dragon-obsessed Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2222
AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP
This is quite an interesting idea. I have a couple of questions from just reading through the document.

1. In the Poisoner subclass, it gives entirely new mechanics for the poisoner's kit. The courtier class, however, also gives proficiency with the poisoner's kit. How does this work? Can you craft poisons per PHB rules, just not the class-specific ones? Can you also apply poisons in a bonus action with that proficiency?

2. Not really a question, but the poison effect table seems jumbled. There are repeated effects for different levels, some lvl 17 abilities reference at lvl 13, etc.

3. The courtier class's magician subclass states that one gains the magic initiate feat. Given the lack of divine/inborn magic in this world, as well as the spellcasting referencing INT for spell points, does magic initiate have to be intelligence-based? Is it the same stuff as PHB?

4. Is there a place where I can learn more about the lore/setting? I'm looking at the occultist, and it seems that they are just a wizard with different class abilities. What is occult about them, as opposed to a magic initiate caster? Given the draconic language is one the occultist can learn, are dragons occult/extraplanar entities? What about Tiamat being a goddess? What are the gods and their spheres? What cities and nations exist?

It's odd that I'm decided on my race/background before class, but that's where I am right now. I'm thinking of going with a Kalay Panjandrum, and I'm debating between going with poisoner, magician, or occultist.

Posting rate returning to normal

Last edited by AlphaP; 06-23-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:43 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7200
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@AlphaP Welcome and thanks for your interest.

Some answers to your questions:
  • The poisoner subclass has 4 poisons available to them that are otherwise unavailable to anyone else. I have now clarified this in the guide
  • The poisons that are listed in the DMG can also be crafted using the poisoner's kit as normal. I have now clarified this in the guide. I will also be adding a section to the equipment that details more mundane poisons and other alchemical items.
  • I have restructured the poisoner's recipe chart to hopefully be easier to read
  • The nature of magic in this setting is one that the user learns to control forces that they were not intended to, thus requiring Intelligence to be the ability needed. Humans have no innate magic of their own.
  • I am adding a section about the world, it's cities, etc. A timeline currently exists, but more is being added.
  • The occultist has learned ways of tapping into the lingering residual magic of the gods, of ancient races that long ago unlocked the secrets of sorcery, and of the alien and unknown Others. Technically, the occult pertains to the supernatural, mystical or magical. The name of the class was chosen to encapsulate the variety of sources through which their magic is gained.
  • Dragons existed (still exist?) as normal. The reason Draconic is listed as a bonus language is because much of the scrolls and tomes containing magical learning is written in the language of the serpentmen, which is a dialect of Draconic.
  • Tiamet, along with many other deities, did(does?) exist, but fell silent after the Others arrived. Cults still exist for nearly all of the deities.
  • Some basic information about cities and nations gain be gained from the cultures, narratives, and timeline. I will also be expanding on this to include more details about the cities and nations shortly.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Updates:
  • Added a section to describe most towns, cities, and other locations
  • Added a section for alchemical items and poisons.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2174
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Also, although this may already be fixed. Under Cultures. Nimodians (the name) is at the end of a column and their descriptions is at the top of the next column.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2174
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Application
Name: Myint
Culture: Kalay
Narrative: Sacred Slayer
Old 06-26-2020, 01:48 AM
Dragon-obsessed Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Phyu

Description: In public appearances, Phyu shows himself to be a young man of Kalay descent, standing somewhat taller than average at 5’11’’ with a golden skin tone. His studies and position leave him with little time in the sun, making him slightly paler than normal. His dark brown hair is short and well kept, and his face is almost too devoid of facial hair. His frame is lean; dexterous enough for travel, but a life of study and paperwork does not lead one to build much muscle. He tends to wear fine tunics appropriate for a Kalay of his stature, preferably with cooler colors such as blues. He holds himself with a proud stature and moves with determined purpose.

When the situation calls for more unnatural means, however, Phyu will instead wear dark, hooded cloaks covering his whole body and most of his face. His gait shifts from the proud, connected politician to one almost befitting of a rogue, keeping his head low and his limbs limber. When he casts his magic, a small, black orb with green serpents etched into it can be seen in his hand. In these times, he moves quickly and will stay in the shadows; even when the situation calls for him to interact with others, he refrains from making direct eye contact. Unless he is certain you can be trusted, that is.

Culture: Kalay

Narrative: Panjandrum

Class: Occultist

History: The world of Thule is a place of chaos and struggle, but not all feel that struggle in the same way. Rather than claw an existence out from the elements, some have found a way to climb up the food chain in the stone jungle of the cities. Phyu’s parents were of such stock; both Kalays who managed to ingratiate themselves to the powers that be in Ikath. Despite its prevalence, the corruption within the city had not yet spread to them; and, naÔve it may be, the two worked with the positions of power granted to them to try and push back. Their ideal of a world dedicated to practicality and study was passed down to their son, Phyu, who showed great acuity for the study and struggle ahead. His stern will and judgmental opinions had a way of slipping into conversations, and his parents knew just how dangerous ruffled feathers could be to their goals. In the same turn, Phyu’s parents sought to counter the sorcery that their political opponents had been growing bold with. They decided to kill two birds with one stone and introduced their son to a local magician’s enclave that had revealed itself to them.

A group with no formal name and known only to its members or associates, this small sect of occultist readily took in the studious like Phyu. The group itself had internalized the serpent iconography that they mimicked to the point of reverence, although they had no formal connection with the serpentmen which roamed the streets. Whether it was simply due to their emulation of the snake people’s magic or their own philosophy, much of their works and teachings held serpentine themes and many of those which stayed within the back alley lair chose to lounge as serpents themselves. They revered the snake for its cold and calculating nature, to the point of which they felt the serpentmen themselves had lost their way.

Phyu’s mind proved to be of stern material, and he survived his initial lessons without falling to madness. Those who taught him did indeed impress the need for secrecy, both in relation to magic and in general. He also found parallels between his parents’ and the cult’s philosophies, furthering his resolve to make the city, and all humanity shed its superfluous skin and grow into a more complete state. He began his own path through the upper echelons of society, his studious nature lending itself to the bookkeeping and paperwork of his stature. Unlike the other Kalays who sought this path, Phyu was more than willing to dole out foul news, and he made himself indispensable to his superiors by doing the tasks they wanted no association with. He focused his attention on climbing, to which he applied both political wit and magical charms to removing obstacles. Of course, his curiosity of magic grew, leading to some unnecessary risks and excursions.

Character Sheet

RP Sample: Phyu followed the noble’s daughter through the torchlit stone hallways of her father’s mansion. The girl, a seductress by the name of Soe, was a perfect example of everything wrong with Ikath. Beguiling, dishonest, and treacherous, she would use her charms to woo her political opponents; of course, being betrothed, this gave her blackmail to control the great dance. Not that Phyu was innocent of lies and manipulation himself, but her ends were just as vile as her means. She would see all be kept in ignorance, especially of the true secrets, just so her wiles could continue to be sated.

He could not get distracted in reminiscing in his hatred of such people. The girl kept up her flirts and Phyu responded with his best rendition of dopey excitement. One poison laden smile for another, as was the dance. Soe, trying to enrapture yet another young inexperienced bookkeeper, had bought into Phyu’s inexperience. Phyu, of course, was not gifted in charms of the mortal kind, so such an excuse was welcome; he knew his ruse would soon be seen through. He didn’t have to keep fooling her for long; as with a snake in the grass, all it would take was a single wrong step.

Somehow, the ruse lasted long enough to make to his foe’s bedchamber. He closed the door behind them, and Soe turned to confirm her catch. But gone was the inexperienced and clueless newblood; steeled eyes and a harsh face met her last advance. Now, Phyu stood readied, his orb in his right hand. Just like he had been taught, coil and strike. With his hands he reached for the unnatural, and with his voice he hissed, ”Srica xiekiv!” It felt as though serpents crawled over his skin as his will projected from his body and wrapped around his victim's mind. The intent faded from her eyes as his charm took hold. This time, it was Phyu’s face who held venomous victory. Now, to disarm this family, once and for all.

Last edited by AlphaP; 07-09-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Dragon-obsessed Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for getting back to me on those questions. I have few more.

1. The spell sniper feat states that one can take a cantrip that requires an attack roll; however, there are no such cantrips in the spell list presented in the Magic section. Is this intentional? Do I pick one from whatever list from the PhB? Is this spell INT based, regardles of class, or does it have to be from the wizard list (as previously, you stated all magic is based on INT for humans)? Does this count as black magic and require the related rolls?

2. I presume the Carousing system will be fully in play throughout this playthrough, as we are meant to playtest the system. Are we allowed to explain how/why we got into the prompts of the table? Is this treated as a "black-out period," where our character has no memory of how the prompt came to be? How do we reconcile entirely uncharacteristic actions, such as a low STR occultist trying to boast about non-existant physical prowess or a Dhari (who are stated to value self-control) getting drunk to the point of losing control?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:22 PM
Old Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 882
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Wow! This is so cool. Iíve been working on a no magic system my self for a while so Iíd love to see this system in action. Iíll have an app up soon.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:41 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@AlphaP Spell sniper is a holdover from when I still had direct damaging spells. Those have since been removed, making this feat obsolete. Since it really serves no purpose now, I have removed the feat entirely.

The Carousing table would be in use in-between adventures. It is not a requirement, but a fun option for characters. Players would definitely be filling in the gaps on the results from that table. I actually would love to hear what prompted the frail occultist to go around the bar boasting to the assorted rabble that he was going to beat them senseless.

@ Crucius Welcome!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Old Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
Application Withdrawn
Application
left-aligned image
Name: Calixta Persepolis
Description: Calixta is taller for a woman, standing at 5í10Ē with a lithe figure. Though she is not quite as old as other ambassadors of her people, her graceful bearing and stoic face can usually show the wisdom her few years have gained her, even as her youthful face belies it. She wears a long and elegant robe and wrap around her hair customary to female ambassadors and has a jade necklace and golden bangle to show her noble birth within her tribe which probably means little to those besides her people. Her great scepter, however, is the most direct symbol of her ambassadorship, strong and beautiful, a symbol of both power and peace.
Culture: Lomari
Narrative: Ambassador (Panjandrum)
Class: Courtier
History: WIP
RP Sample: WIP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F3EF02A-1BDF-46EC-AFFB-9519A09382CD.png
Views:	49
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	85541  

Last edited by Crucius; 07-07-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Old Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
So, question time:
1. My vision for this character was to be an ambassador of her tribe to other peoples, a deep and old profession amongst the Lomari people. Though it has always existed, this profession has been expanded recently due to the encountering of people beyond the Lomari, requiring ambassadors old and new to familiarize themselves with their new neighbors, especially the Kalay. With this in mind, I didnít feel any of the narratives sold this well. I feel the early Panjandrum features work well, but Iím not sure if ambassadors would be empowered by the governments they visited to arrest people. If you think they would, I could use the Panjandrum features with the understanding that people would view her differently as a foreigner in most cases who represents a tribe. If not, we could work together to make an ambassador narrative or something similar. What are your thoughts?
2. What are the traditional naming conventions of the Lomari? Do they have last names or clan names? Is it first name only? What is the order or format of the names as presented?
Old 06-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Dragon-obsessed Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
I'm confused as to how one is supposed to use an occultist in combat. Between the increased costs, the risks, and the nerfing of most spells and the lack of good damaging ones entirely, an occultist will be nothing more than a liability/support bot in combat (until polymorph). Compare that to the other classes that have been imported into the game, such as fighter or barbarian who suffer fewer nerfs, and there's no way an occultist can keep pace with the spells provided. With no combat cantrips either, its only means of attack without wasting significant resources would be to invest in DEX alongside INT and take a crossbow (and no mage would ever get into melee with that low of HP, so melee weapons and touch-based magic are inherently worthless). Combine this with the increased need for CON as well as WIS to deal with the horrors you might call in, and we have a case of MAD. I understand that magic is supposed to be rare and forbidden in this world, and the spell points and risks table gets that across; but that means there needs to be a payoff to using it. I am still excited to playtest this; just, in my opinion, magic needs a buff for the occultist to be viable in combat.

Also, in the spells section, it says that spell points equal "intelligence + caster level." Is this supposed to be INT score or modifier?

Old 06-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Crucius I actually think the RAW would work for an ambassador due to the inclusion of:
Quote:
In other cities you can use these powers against criminals from your home city, but you need the approval of the local authorities to do so.
The Lomari use a traditional <given name> <surname>. I have added some examples to the guide. That said, all of the names presented here are just examples While they certainly can be used as is, is is also perfectly fine to create your own as well.

@AlphaP Spell points are intelligence modifier + caster level. I have clarified this in the guide.

The simple fact alone that an occultist is wielding magic is already something that the great majority of enemies will have trouble contending with, as they themselves will almost always not be able to. If the players run across a sorcerer, that will be a big deal and likely some kind of boss fight. That said, I see what you are saying.

I think I have the class at the right balance of spells per day and the spell list itself, but I agree there needs to be something else to them that makes them viable , especially when their magic is spent.

Let me hash through this a little and I will update when it is revised. All that being said, I am fully expecting that the classes, even existing ones, might need to be tweaked a little to strike the balance and feel for the setting.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 350
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Name: Jharuus

Culture: Dhari
Narrative: Escaped Slave
Class: Nomad
Old 06-26-2020, 11:26 PM
Old Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
@Silent Rain thanks for the prompt response. One more question: could you make the conversion available as a PDF? My device wonít load the whole book on hombrewery and my browser crashes whenever I try to download it as a PDF.