PF-1e Grand Theft Horse (A spin off of Life in the Maw) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-20-2020, 12:45 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6609
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Grand Theft Horse (A spin off of Life in the Maw)

Grand Theft Horse
(A spin off of Life in the Maw)

Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeGang Life in the Slums/ Pirate Port Politics
FlavourPlayer driven narrative in a custom Homebrew world
SummaryI am actually looking for 3 different types of players; 7 in total. The first is a group of 4 who will be beginning at level 2 in a slum area called Ash Town (Ashton) located next to a major port city called Goldenrise. This group will have discovered a recently abandoned building which is just outside the territories of several gangs. With next to nothing to their name can they come together and survive in a town where life is cheap and guards turn a blind eye?

Next are 2 level 3 characters who will begin in Krakenmaw (ie. The Maw), an independent Pirate Port ruled by a Pirate Lord known as the Cullin. The current Cullin has recent made a bold move to try and make the port legitimate, acting as a trade port through the dangerous Savage iles but will he succeed with so much turned against him.

These players will be lower level characters living through this time of change doing what they can to survive or possibly even thrive. The Maw already have several higher level Player Character embroiled in the politics of this Port of Pirates but it will be up to these new players to either ally themselves with these powers, other NPC driven groups, or stay independent.

This is their story just as it is others. Will they make a difference or will they be nothing but a footnote in history.

Finally there is a major character involved in the Port's politics who has been abandoned by their Player. They are a Level 7 character named Lady Tanaka; a mysterious merchant princess from a japanese influenced land. There isn't much known about Tanaka other then she sells unusual items and is currently acting as an advisor to the Cullin on matters of arcane magic.

If you choose to play as Tanaka you will still need to design the woman, outlining her background and those of the people working for her but still keep within the vague idea of the original character.

Additional information on the world and character creation can be found on the original ad HERE (https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=187917) but I will update this post with more appropriate outlines in the near future.
-Posting Rates
I am not going to list a specific rate of posting required because I find players and GM's can rarely adhear to them 100% of the time. I will however say this. I visit this site nearly everyday with my current average as 3.35 per day over the course of about 5 years now. I will try to post 2-3 times a week for any one thread but I have also posted multiple time a day when a player and I have gotten into a groove. That said there are also times I become busy with work, life, etc. and I am reduced to 1 post a week per thread. I perfer to avoid this but it does happen. In essence I will try to post as quickly as I can and will appreciate players who do the same but I will not punish those who can't. That said I would expect at least 1 post a week minimum and if it looks like one player is dragging down the speed of others in his group they may get left behind.

If I had to vocilize a comfortable rate I would wish for 2-3 posts a week if possible.
-Applications and Character
. I am not providing you with a general application outline since I plan on using how you make such an application to help judge who will be included in the game. Organization, originality, detail and many other qualities will be looked at but I do have some restrictions. Any large pictures (ones that would take up near an entire screen when looked at) should be hidden with a Spoiler Button. Such tools should also be considered when creating lengthy backgrounds or other ‘Word Walls’. You should also look at the information presented below to understand just what your faction and character is starting with, along with the type of information that should be included. I will also ask that you include an idea of what you enjoy about roleplaying and what you hope to achieve with your character. This is as much for me to be able to understand how you wish to play this game as it is to know you as a player better. I'm perfectly happy to customize a few play experiences to what a player is more interested in but it does still need to work within the theme of the game. If your looking for a lot of tactical turn based combat this might not be the best fit (Although there will still be some) but a number of other play styles are still possible.

-World Information
The World
As mentioned before, the world we will be playing in is a completely home brewed version which is still being worked on. I don’t even have a name for the world as a whole but I’m up to suggestions. Despite this I have filled it out quite a bit and the information below is just a ‘quick’ overview of some of the information available. If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or in a PM and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

World Information

Additional Information can be found HERE.
Information specifically about Ash Town is linked HERE

-FAQ and Applications

-The Applicants
Tanaka
PlayerOutline
pianoman90Creator of Magical Items and Plants

Maw Residents (Lv.3)
PlayerCharacterClassOutline
HyregothRiveriaWatersinger Bard/Elemental SorcererUndine
Crystal 08DarkmoonLuna Song Restorer DruidWerewolf

Gang of Goldenrise (Lv.2)
PlayerCharacterClassOutline
PainterOfMinisLissi StrydeRogue(Acrobat)A Roof Running Sylph
SilkShan PuUnsureTaloo Tattooed Martial Artist

Last edited by taleteller50; 06-23-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1050
PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis
Posting interest! Cooking up an idea for a dirty trick or disarm build with a penchant for keeping people alive to tell the tale

EDIT - Moving more in the direction of a roof lurking scout so let's see how this pans out

Last edited by PainterOfMinis; 06-20-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:30 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis
Started putting something together for one of the level 2 slots (But will happily bump up to level 3 as necessary). Could I ask how much gold each level has at their disposal for equipment? And furthermore, would you allow the ownership of a Wing Cloak to allow for the training of the fly skill? This'll only have an effect if she ends up being L3

EDIT - No gold for level 2 and equipment as given by DM, all good. Thus, wing cloak definitely only matters if I end up filling a level 3 slot

Ash Town start preferred

Lissi
left-aligned image
Lissi Stryde
Sylph│Female│67
Acrobat Rogue 2

Description: A lithe figure about 5'8", Lissi is slender and light for her height, though not without well developed muscles and dexterous joints and sharp, teal eyes that ever-so-slightly betray her plotting mind. To cope better with the heat of the area, her normal outfit consists of dark and thin material, blue-black in colour, in the form of a shirt-like construct and loose trousers, along with a silk-like cloak that provides a small layer of air between her body and the heat that builds up on the material. However, the cloak does have the added function of concealing several "tools" (If they can even be called that, pebbles and such to make noise for distractions), along with the glint of a steel dagger that she hopes to never use on another living being. Her once pale skin has been heavily tanned by the sun, though never quite burnt in recent times, her hands bearing maintained calluses from constant climbing. Her legs, and even her boots, however, show little of the damage or stress that should come with the stunts she pulls in fleeing buildings from the roof - a trick she has let few know the secret to.

Personality: Ever the trickster, Lissi is a careful woman who is unafraid to take what she needs if given the opportunity - Opportunity being the one thing her eyes are always alert for, though she has learnt that one must often make their own opportunity, and for that matter - If there is no opportunity but instead a chance to deal with corruption, there's a good chance she will act on it (The primary reason she may not is risk to her own life, as her selfishness easily beats her spite.).

Freedom is one of her greatest virtues - the freedom to move, explore, climb a spire and see the stars for their true colours, and in fitting rhyme she fears an end to it all. Be it chains, crippling, or most finally, death. For this reason, her self-preservation instinct is perhaps too alert to the point of which she will rarely enter a fight (Even one she believes she could win.) as all blood comes with its own personalised price.

Background:

10 minute background template:

Last edited by PainterOfMinis; 06-29-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:09 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
@ PainterOf Minis: Since it looks like you're applying for the Ash Town Gang I'll mention there is a small gang of kid operating out of the Slums northern area called the Roof Runners. They mostly act as messangers and porters for other gangs, composed only of kids and teenagers, but given your character's expertise you could have a connection to them.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:14 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for the info, might bake that into her past! (Though Sylph lifespans/point of reaching adulthood do make plotting out a background with a connection to a gang somewhat difficult... Would you be happy to alter Sylph maturing to more in-line with human speeds with an increased lifespan or shall I flex my creative muscles figuring out how to make it work? )

Last edited by PainterOfMinis; 06-20-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:49 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
The most realistic would be to have her maturity more match her human ancestor rather then her djinn side. She would still work the same mechanically and could even have a longer life expectancy then normal humans but she would have grown up 'normally'. Of course she could have instead been a kind of Peter Pan like character, staying young and taking in additional 'Lost Boys' over the years until she finally grew up herself and realized she had to leave the Runners like so many before her. For this I would need to be much more active in learning about Ashton and in the specifics of the Runners but if you're up to this it would be fine.

Last edited by taleteller50; 06-20-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:26 PM
Purveyor of the Unusual

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11942
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Also posting interest! This looks interesting-I will have to delve deep into the reading over the next little while.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:34 AM
Purveyor of the Unusual

Tools
User Statistics
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Lady Tanaka
left-aligned image
LE Human Female, 40
Twilight Sage Arcanist 7
_______Leadership 12_______

The Lady Tanaka inherited the title from her distant past, something she refuses to discuss. Tall and lithe, the beautiful woman and her servant Haruko arrived in Maw 7 years ago and had immediately caused a stir by establishing a strange store in the city, complete with a herbarium and garden of exotic plants. Rumors sprang up of enormous trees capable of extraordinary things-extreme destruction or miraculous cures for ailments springing from the same bough, if only you knew how to prepare them. And the Lady Tanaka certainly did. Nobody knew what Tanaka knew, nobody knew how she knew it, but her knowledge and expertise had allowed her private audiences with the Cullin himself, who was apparently impressed by the range of abilities the Lady possesses.

A follower of Grunmal, it is said that Tanaka possesses a tattoo of the two-faced goddess somewhere about her person-speculation is rife as to its location and what such worship of the goddess of madness truly entails. Whispers of necromantic abilities circle about her, and the title of Twilight Sage follows her footsteps. She wears beautiful layered kimono and wrapped dresses of fine silk, often highly decorated with exotic flowers. Her face is painted every day in the purest of white, her emerald-green eyes sparkle out from the shadow of her green-tinted eye makeup and she maintains the visage of exotic rarity. A blood-red parasol accompanies her wherever she goes, no matter the weather.

She maintains excellent manners, fulfills many economic needs within the Maw at prices the locals can afford, and treats more exclusive clients with respect. Her employees live well and suffer little so long as they satisfy expectations. On the other hand, those in the know are afraid of her with good reason.

A strange creature accompanies Tanaka wherever she goes, often hidden within the folds of her kimono. If it deigns to show itself, or if Tanaka chooses to reveal it for effect, the fire salamander curls itself around Tanaka's body, wriggling up to rest around her neck like a necklace. Flames lick around its maw, though the heat seems to have no effect on Tanaka. It is a disturbing sight to those not used to it, and the distraction often works in Tanaka's interests.

Tanaka has very little patience for those who fail to follow through on their deals with her. A blatantly violated contract is that much worse. In these situations her shadowy friend Haruko springs into action and the sight of a razor-sharp rapier at their throat causes dissenters to change their tune in an instant. Her sphere of influence is slowly extending to reach figures of power in the Maw, and she uses that leverage to turn a blind eye to some of her more salubrious dealings.

Business Interests
left-aligned image
TANAKA'S EMPORIUM
(Magic Shop)

Tanaka's Emporium is a well-established business in the Maw. It is neither a pirate organization nor a sailing operation, though they do business with both parties, as well as the local residents. The unique nature of the merchandise has always set it apart, and the presence of the eponymous and mystifying Tanaka continues to run the rumor mill to keep the mysteries of her work alive and well.

Expertly organised and run, the Emporium deals on mostly magical knick-knacks, accoutrements and herbal 'cure-alls'. Tanaka herself creates much of the merchandise herself, with the occasional custom order, and Haruko acts as her right-hand woman and front of house manager. The price they command for such endeavors is high (as it tends to be for anything they sell which is exotic or rare) but still reasonable enough that locals often look to the Emporium for their needs. Excellence in quality is a top priority, and it keeps clients returning to do business. Tanaka's garden is a sight to behold in of itself; established through the back doors of the Emporium shop the garden attracts daily visitors to marvel at the extraordinary bonsai trees and exotic greenhouse plants. A walled section of the garden remains off-limits for the everyday customer-it is here that Tanaka's true experimental cultivation happens.

There is, of course, the shadier side of the coin. Information trading, smuggling, trade in "found" goods. No slavery, though, nor prostitution-indeed, many of Tanaka's employees are ex-slaves and prostitutes, such that she has developed a reputation for 'rehabilitation', for the want of a better term. Very little is known about she and Haruko, preferring to keep to themselves. Tanaka has her own plans for the Maw, and of late that has led to connections with the Cullin. Everything in the Maw eventually leads back to teh Cullin, and Tanaka's unique nature of her work has allowed her to help solve some of the Wherever they came from, they've put down deep roots in the Maw and worked hard to become an economic staple. Tanaka obviously has her eye on gaining political power in the region, and she's known to work with the likes of the Cullen and other noteworthy persons to solve "difficult" issues. Tanaka herself commands not only a mastery of business, but strange powers of the mind which many fear on vague details alone.

Always, though, do the locals advise that one read the fine print before signing a business contract with the Emporium. Lady Tanaka is diplomatic and patient, but in the end, she and her many employees collect on debts owed.

Haruko Ine
right-aligned image
Haruko Ine
LE Human Female, 27
Swashbuckler 3(Inspired Blade) / Magus 2 (Kensai)
"My loyalty is to my Lady. Offer her due respect, lest my craft disrespect you."

Haruko belongs to the same mysterious ancestry as Tanaka, and like her, she claims to remember very little about where they came from aside from those little details which maintain their exoticism. A devoted swordswoman, she practices her craft to the benefit of the Emporium, often by procuring special materials and items for Tanaka's magical creations. Conducting herself much as a vassal would for their lord, Haruko is unerringly devoted to Tanaka's service. She sees that the smaller, day to day affairs of their operation continue to move so that Tanaka can handle larger problems. If someone in their employ becomes a problem, Haruko takes care of it. If magic is needed for a special purpose, Haruko takes care of it. If there's a threat to Tanaka's Emporium, Haruko handles it as her Lady wishes, or otherwise acts with almost brutal efficiency to extinguish the proverbial fire. She is in every way the retainer a lord would want, and she seems geared to help Tanaka fulfill her goals.

The source of law and order within Lady Tanaka's sphere of influence, Haruko is a peculiar sort of swordsman who shares the same strange ancestry as Tanaka and some of her other ranking employees. She wields a wakizashi, an equally peculiar sword for the area, with grace and remarkable speed. Quiet and unremarkable, Haruko acts as a shadow right up until she has taken your hand off for stealing and sheathed her blade before it's even hit the ground. Employees stay in line partly thanks to Haruko. Thieves stay away from the Emporium. Those who cause offense are warned or made to suffer the consequences - but always in a direct strike, never with a stab to the back. That point seems to have something to do with her faint memories of home and a code of honor.

Last edited by pianoman90; 06-25-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32598
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
This sounds very interesting. Thinking about an application …

Old 06-21-2020, 11:19 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
@ pianoman90: Glad to have someone interested in playing Tanaka. The closer your version is to the original the easier she'll fit into the ongoing game.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2342
Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth
Riveria San Marcos

Riveria, CN Undine Watersinger Bard/Elemental Sorcerer
ApplicationMaw Resident, LvL 3

Name: Riveria San Marcos
Race: Undine
Level: Watersinger Bard 1/Elemental Sorcerer 2

Description

Background:

Riveria's Story:

Life in the Maw:

What I enjoy about RPG's

Last edited by Hyregoth; 06-21-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:40 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome ekidnu. Glad you interested Hyregoth.

Last edited by taleteller50; 06-21-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2342
Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
Welcome ekidnu. Glad you interested Hyregoth.
Thanks taleteller50. I'm always interested in what you are running.
Character sheet is attached.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2491
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Name: Born Heather Moonsong.Luna Song
Race: Galladan Werewolf
Gender/Age: Female, 18
Class: Druidic Herbalism nature bond.Restorer Druid (2)/Template (1)

Appearance: WIP
Personality: WIP

Background: WIP

Misc.: WIP

Last edited by Cristal08Darkmoon; 06-22-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 AM
Purveyor of the Unusual

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by pianoman90; 06-22-2020 at 02:03 AM.