Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 09:08 PM
Level 1 RPG Crossing DM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Fool Fool
Paradise Beneath - Ad Thread

NOTICE: THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.

Game NameParadise Beneath

Game SystemD&D 5e

Accepted Players Conductor - Application: Completed & Accepted - Will Be Playing As Carissa Mirowen, High Elven Rogue
DeepFriedWyzard - Application: Completed & Accepted - Will Be Playing As Viktor Von Kroy, Human (Sentinel) Fighter
Shadskad - Application: Completed & Accepted - Will Be Playing As Baelin Amanore, Dark Elf Shadow Sorcerer
Wyrom - Application: Completed & Accepted - Will Be Playing As Perriwinkle, Half-Orc Bard

FlavorFunhouse Dungeon Delving

The Three Pillars Rated Low, Medium, HighBattle: Medium - It's a dungeon crawl.
Comedy: Medium - I DM very jokey, more generally laid back games. That doesn't mean that there won't be drama or moments of intensity and stakes - just that don't go into the game expecting a gritty, "don't f*ck around" tone.
Roleplaying: A Soft High - This is a fundamental component of my DMing style. People that just want to crush skulls and crunch numbers, beware.

Expectations About PostingI'll post a Main Post every week on Saturdays, and responses to that can be posted at any point throughout the week, though responding within 2-3 days is appreciated. Posting regarding a character's thoughts, reactions, off time (if such a thing is taking place), etc. is fine correction: is encouraged, though try not to make empty posts.

Plot SummaryYou play as a gang of Beneathers (sometimes also called ‘Neathers or ‘Neathes), delvers that have, for some reason or another, found their way to the first level of the Paradise Beneath, a massive dungeon folklore claims possesses endless layers. The monsters only get nastier the further one descends, but the loot gets better and the rewards ever greater as well.

Starting Level Level 1.

LevelingThe game is using milestone leveling with both story beats and a general feel of steady advancement in mind. With levelling, that means levelling up every 2-4 weeks early on (up until level 3). After level 3, levelling will probs be every 4-8 weeks, but treat that range as a guideline, not an absolute. I'm thinking the game will end around 6th to 8th level, so keep that in mind with character build ideas. Note: the version of milestone levelling we'll be using will have XP be earned at story milestones, functionally identical to XPless advancement, but in this case players have a concrete number on their sheet to remind them where they're at & how far they've come.

"Payment First, Talk Later."I'm a big fan of the philosophy of generosity with treasure, and a big part of this game will be built around how your characters spend their money. I'm hoping I can sit down with players and come up with ideas of what to do with all their cash if they're feeling like it's not useful for much.

Allowed Sourcebooks All race and class options found in Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters. If you'd like to have a character use options outside of those books, post here and we'll go over if it works for what I'm going for. I won't be super restrictive, it's just that I prefer to start with a short list of accepted sourcebooks and make exceptions where it's felt needed. The old line of restrictions breeding creativity is a favorite of mine.

A note: please do not take "I'm willing to make exceptions for a good reason," as I intended to communicate with the above, with "anything goes." If you'd like to deviate from the limits set above, please justify yourself when doing so. And please try to consider your character concept through a lense of how it can be adapted to options within the limits, only deviating when you legitimately feel you have to.

Variant RulesCleaving Through Creatures: If your melee attack reduces an undamaged creature to zero hit points in one blow, then any excess damage carries over to another target within reach (as long as the initial attack roll was high enough to hit the second target).

Feats: We are using the feats rule. Hell, everyone does. Imho it should be a default rule.

Free Feat At 1st Level: You start at 1st level with a free feat of your choice from the Player’s Handbook.

Underwater/Underdark?(1) I'm a big fan of underwater dungeon levels, so yes, sections will be submerged or simply damp. (2) Whole small civilizations exist down in the Beneath if you delve deep enough, including standard Underdark specimens like Dark Elves (Drow) and White Dwarves (Duergar).

Desired Number of PlayersI'd like between 3 and 5 players: enough to have a fair-sized party, but not so many that it gets a bit on the overwhelming side and things slow down.

"Ooo, Sparkly Sword!"Magic items, the thing nigh on every delver's interested in at the end of a long day. The setting (called Cryker Vale, I'll get into that here somewhere) is high magic, and while magic items won't be around every corner, expect for every character to have something quite nice to theirself (an uncommon permanent item, in blunt game terms) by about 4th level.

Ability Score GenerationPlayers have their choice of Standard Array or 27-point Point Buy for ability score generation.

Variant On InspirationInspiration is earned through role-playing personality traits, flaws, bonds, and ideals especially well. You can have a maximum of 2 Inspiration dice, and you can spend such a die in order to add +1d6 to a roll of your choice made by you or any of your party members, provided you give at least a flimsy justification in-story for how that +1d6 manifests itself. A single roll can’t have more than four Inspiration dice added to it.

Bardic Inspiration stacks with Inspiration.

Last edited by Fool; 06-30-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Cowboy Yokozuna

Tools
User Statistics
DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard
Hello newcomer! You've caught my attention at Neathers, I'm intrigued

Do you have a starting level in mind?

EDIT: I wrote this before finding you in the Intro thread, didn't realize you were the same! That simple name really does have appeal!

Last edited by DeepFriedWyzard; 06-28-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1356
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Could be fun! Would love to hear more, though!
Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2096
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
This gives me the impression it's an underwater Campaign. Is this true?

Desired Posting Rate?

and finally, any race/class restrictions?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:18 AM
Cowboy Yokozuna

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Winds of View Post
This gives me the impression it's an underwater Campaign. Is this true?

Desired Posting Rate?

and finally, any race/class restrictions?
I got more of a "World's Largest Dungeon" vibe, I remember a massive dungeon in Maple Story that went down into the core of the planet essentially.

If this is an underdark thing, I am so down.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2151
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Would you allow the UA Mystic playtest? If not, I could create something more traditional.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
Conductor Conductor Conductor Conductor
Application - Carissa Mirowen

Carissa Mirowen

Application
Name: Carissa Mirowen
right-aligned image

Race: Elven
Class: Rogue (Spy)
Carissa Mirowen
Trait: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideal: I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Flaw: When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Personality: Carissa is slow to open to others, naturally suspicious that there is always some hidden reason someone is trying to get to know her.. She is still looking to find her place in the world as she searches for her sister, on the run from something in her past.
Background: Great merchant houses are made up of more than just traders and caravans. Many employ clerks, barristers, labor, guards, and on occasion...agents of opportunity. Those individuals whose skills fall into the realm of gathering information, disseminating misinformation, and on rare occasions, purloining secrets.

Carissa was one such agent. Born a twin, while her sister followed the path of adventure and excitement using her skills with a blade, Carissa sold her talents to one of the great merchant houses to follow a slightly less dangerous route. It was a life of constant excitement of its own, and while she might not face monsters or great evil, sneaking through a noble's home to gather embarrassing letters had its own type of danger.

It was a good life, but as a merchant guild's rise enriches all within, its fall too affects everyone. Betrayal by an ally was just another manner of conducting business, but this betrayal included bloodshed and fire. When the guild's rivals were finished, every member of the guild were either dead or scattered to the winds.

Carissa survived, now looking for her sister. The last time she spoke, her twin had said her company was looking to plunder the depths of a far off dungeon.

Roleplay sample of a fight:The figure in the dark cloak moved through the alley, the pong of rotted fish and other detritus heavy in the air. The clouds above darkened the night further as the figure searched for its quarry. One last victim to hunt down. It had been a very successful hunt, and the Brothers of Night would walk away with heavy purses after completing this contract. All he needed to do was-

The small being fell from above as quiet as a shadow as she slammed her blade into the hunter's neck, falling hard with him to the ground. Carissa landed poorly on one leg, the shock of pain that erupted from her ankle almost causing her to let go of her grip on the assasins cloak. But she didn't dare release him as she plunged her dagger again and again into the Brother's back, her face streaked with soot and tears and blood as she stabbed again and again and again and again and...and...and...

She finally stopped when the body below her lay still, her breath ragged with exertion and terror. She was covered with cuts and burns as she stood, her body shaking as she looked back from where the hunter had come. No one seemed to have noticed as she hobbled down the other end of the alley, escaping into the night.

Last edited by Conductor; 06-29-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
Oo, new info. I'll see about putting something together for this. Sounds fun.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:20 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
WIP
This character is 25% complete. Thank you for your patience!

Sequoia Lockheart
right-aligned image
Sequoia Lockheart
(Click for larger image)
Sequoia Lockheart
Shieldmaiden of Truth
- (Character Sheet)

Name Sequoia Lockheart
Race Human
Sex Female
Class Cleric
Background Noble
Alignment Lawful Good

Personality Traits Benevolent: People deserve compassion and understanding. Those who can fight for them that cannot have a duty to do so.
  Stalwart: Once my mind is made up, it is as a vice grip. I am the unmoving stone who yields to neither man nor force.
Ideal Tolerance: People are not black and white. I am always willing to listen to someone's reasons for doing an evil deed without biased, and withold my judgement until I know the whole story.
Nickname: Lady Lockheart
Eye Color Dim Blue
Hair Color Wheat Blonde
Skin Tone Caucasian
Height 193 cm (6'4'')
Weight 81 kg (178 lbs)

Bond Exemplary Image: As one who holds true to unpopular opinions and worship, I must always seek to convey an image of austerity and poise if I want others to take me and my faith seriously.
Flaw Above the Law: My purpose transcends all boundaries, be they the customs and ideals of an individual, or those of a community or governing body. Nothing and no one will stand between me and the truth that I seek.

Description

An imposing, well-built individual, Sequoia is tall enough to tower over others of her race, often coming to stand toe-to-toe with the likes of orcs and half-orcs. Yet for all her striking figure, she is surprisingly serene and quiet, much like the tree of her namesake.

Wielding a regal bearing that speaks of her noble background, her long, wheat-blonde hair is smooth and pampered with exotic oils, clinging to her head in a dizzying assortment of braids and buns, leaving only her fringe bangs to drape just above her sharp brow and cool blue eyes.

Sequoia dresses in finery fitting of a noble, though more out of habit and adherence to societal expectation rather than of personal preference. She meticulously maintains her equipment and clothing, taking careful measures as soon as possible to fix tears, press out dents, and sharpen dull blades.

Personality

Once a bratty, spoiled aristocratic child whose every whim was taken care of, Sequoia was humbled very early in her teenage years and has since made every effort to live up to the word 'noble' in all its forms. She believes in the idea that privilege is, in fact, a privilege, capable of being stripped away as easily as a shell from a nut, and understands the value of using her position to better the world around her rather than just her own.

--TBC--

Character Backstory

Born into the prestigious and aristocratic Lockheart family, Sequoia was pampered almost from birth and, because their society was largely matriarchal, groomed for leadership of her house and hearth. Though far down the line in terms of succession, she was treated as though she was expected to, and like a good many children in such a position, it quickly got to her head. She grew arrogant and egotistical, often looking down on others or using people as pawns to accomplish her own agenda.

--TBC--

Character Trivia
  • Sequoia's name is derived from the sequoia tree. She was given this name due to the fact that she was born longer (taller) than most children. Incidentally, she lived up to the name.
  • Sequoia is a distant cousin of my other character, Patchouli Lockheart, on the maternal side. They have never met.
DM ConsiderationsHello! With your permission, I would like to use the following sources to bring this character to life:
  • Domain of Zeal from Planeshift Amonkhet, pg 28.
  • Unsure of what deity she worships at present since I don't know what the pantheon looks like for your world. Something equivalent to Athena or Freyja seems fitting.

Last edited by briar; 06-29-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:32 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36798
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
With one main post per week, how many weeks of posting would you consider to be one session?
Old 06-29-2020, 01:16 AM
Level 1 RPG Crossing DM

Tools
User Statistics
Fool Fool
Probably 2-3 weeks worth of posting would be one session's worth. I'll go more by feel and common sense than a ironclad figure.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:18 PM
Cowboy Yokozuna

Tools
User Statistics
I'm just going to say this. I find these flowery, overly-formatted character applications that almost everyone seems to use, both intimidating and extremely obnoxious. Even as an artist I feel it doesn't matter when you can steal someone else's art online for a "better" looking application to hold people's attention. I am a minimalist by nature, and I know what I make is going to look ugly because I would rather type out plain text and provide my own personal artwork, which will take me so much time to develop, that these "cheaper" concepts will sweep all the attention before I even have a completed app, putting me at an eternal disadvantage.

Here is yet another game I already feel distaste about joining because of everyone else involved, even though I enjoy the ideas and personality of the DM. Do I have to start copy-pasting pages of needless CSS script just to make my ideas stand out? I don't think I am ever going to feel like an "acceptable" type of player around here, I hate to be so cynical about it.

Playing D&D has never required me to know so much about a character who has not actually come into existence yet, but these all feel like fully fleshed out characters pulled out of works of existing fiction, and that is completely anathema to my 20+ years of D&D experience.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what kind of logic is going to come my way by merely stating something so contrarian. There's a lot of people here, we all gotta stand out and show our literacy to the DM's, but this is all designed in a way so alien to GENUINE roleplay that I still feel excommunicated before I even try to join in.

TL;DR I guess that's tough sh!t for me, have fun everybody else.

Last edited by DeepFriedWyzard; 06-29-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
If you're an artist, then someone like you should be able to understand better than anyone as to why people like myself create 'flowery' applications. You, for instance, don't just draw something to be 'meh' and 'part of the crowd'. You go all out. You draw something to be nice, to bear your mark, and to show your skill. The idea is to get attention, yes, but also to create a work that you feel good about--something that lets you put your creative ability to the page.

I'm not an artist in the traditional sense, but I believe in the idea that anyone can be an artist in their own craft. Some people are artists of the pen who write beautiful works of fiction that we all know and love. Some people are artists of the needle and thread, and are able to create lovely pieces of adornments that make people feel nice to wear.

I create applications, with expansive character concepts, "flowery" coding, and my own sense of style. This is my art, it's something that makes me feel good to write and design, regardless of whether or not I actually get chosen. And just like your form of art has 'minimalist' and 'abstract/interpretive' or 'ultra-complex', so does the art of creating characters and the business of 'selling' them. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your method, they can coexist. As a DM, I've passed up plenty of 'pretty' applications in favor of a nicer sounding character concept, and as a player, I've seen my applications passed up by a DM for similar reasons.

TL : DR - Too bad, read it anyway.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Level 1 RPG Crossing DM

Tools
User Statistics
Fool Fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFriedWyzard View Post
TL;DR I guess that's tough sh!t for me, have fun everybody else.
I'm going to say this in response: you send me an app that isn't as flowery and fleshed out as the others I've seen, I'm going to judge that on its own merits. Everyone has their style. I understand the feeling of being intimidated by the comprehensiveness and the nice art and all that.

My first ever game, a few years back, was some friends with some pregens sitting around a table awkwardly failing to quite get the hang of roleplaying while the GM found his voice.

I've never quite shaken the feeling of newbishness. Maybe a lot of people never do. I guess all I'm trying to say is, I get it, and all I'm hoping is, if you join in, we can all have our own styles, and find a common thread to unite over.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2734
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Don't worry DeepFried. I have seen many fancy applications and less fancy applications get into games. Some DM's don't like the extra stuff and others do. JUST DO YOU. If you make good character concept that fits into a DM's game, you are most likely going to get in whether artsy or not.