twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8735
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
The Church of Perplexities

Game NameThe Church of Perplexities
Game SystemDnD 3.5e
ThemePuzzles, Deathtrap, Escape Room, Survival
FlavourDeadly Dungeon Delving
Plot Summary

A hundred years ago, the Church of Perplexities was a place of many marvels. Three mortals— T’Ssem, Akalo, and Jovure—founded the sanctuary, committing it to the worship of themselves as demigods. Today, those who still remember or have listened to the stories know that T’Ssem, Akalo, and Jovure were just capable spellcasters, but at the time, their wondrous abilities persuaded their following of their godlikeness. Of course, they maintained an atmosphere of excitement by granting their worshipers awesome blessings and boons from time to time. In general though, be that as it may, they were whimsical “gods,” requiring their devotees to experience bizarre trials and answer puzzling riddles. In hindsight, they appeared to be testing them, but for which qualities or capacities they looked for to discover in them remains obscure. In truth, other than their preference for enigmas and tests and their want for worship, the only thing known for sure is that a hundred years ago, their Church of Perplexities was devastated in a fire. Rumors circulated as to its cause, and many guessed that the three ‘gods’ or their adherents had adversaries.

Secrets Revealed
After diving through an antiquated tome, the player characters have learned that a mystical artefact known as the Strand of Teardrops was kept underneath the Church of Perplexities. This magical relic, made from the teardrops of a goddess, looks like a belt-sized silver strand set with blue and white teardrop-shaped gems. It is said that the Strand of Teardrops upgrades its wearers most prominent attribute. Despite the truth that other references to the Strand of Teardrops exist, no one else appears to know that it was last seen underneath the Church. In spite of the fact that numerous travelers are said to have investigated the ruins, no one has talked of the Strand or, in truth, of having found an underground level.

Trapped!

You and your fellow adventurers and friends came to the Church of Perplexities on a cold, dim day, finding a burned-out shell of a building beside a number of littler storehouses, all in ruins. Spreading out, you scoured the region carefully to discover it had been picked clean by pilgrims, globe-trotters, and foragers, as some stories had suggested. Be that as it may, you knew to hunt for a mysterious way down, finding a covered-up trap entryway that lead to a dusty ancient staircase beneath the sanctuary. Lighting torches and slipping into the obscurity, you found a wide hallway that linked to some rooms. In places, faded frescos delineated travelers on the street and other scenes. You indeed discovered a number of intricately carved columns set with a couple of little pearls, effectively pried free and kept. Then, at the conclusion of the hallway, you came into an expansive room with mosaic pictures along the walls. Ahead of you, over the center of the chamber, three stone statues stood. You moved to investigate, but suddenly, the statue at the center emitted a shining streak of light, and you heard a deafening hammering of stone behind you.

What I need from you
This is an extreme, thinking-player’s dungeon experience with a few unusual turns. It’s planned to be run in one sitting, but play-by-post is different of course. It takes place in a cramped area filled with bizarre puzzles, traps, and some creatures. It’s complicated and befuddling but offers the potential not only for fun dungeon adventuring but also for some off-beat psychological roleplaying challenges as well. Player vs player may happen, but only if the circumstances force things that way. The action really begins with the pregenerated player characters already in the dungeon, and each character has secret background information as well. Lastly, it’s a perilous enterprise that will likely conclude (or begin or proceed) with some character death (or a total party kill).

Newbies are welcome of course. Since you don't have to build your character sheets, you don't really have to be too familiar with D&D 3.5 to play. I will note though that especially due to all the traps/puzzles, it will be clearer if you all describe positions and actions of your characters (what you want to do, and how you want to do it), turn by turn, fairly precisely and carefully for it to be easy for me to figure out what happens to them, and whether they die or not. I can explain any relevant game mechanics as we go along.

The party is composed of a Half-Elf Rogue, an Elf Wizard, a Half-Orc Cleric3/Barbarian1, a Human Barbarian, a Human Fighter, and a Human Paladin. These are pregenerated PCs, designed for this puzzle adventure to work. Please write a role-play fragment with your preferred character, tell me in order of preference which characters you would like to play, and tell me something about yourself, and your experience with RPGs, D&D and if you have played any D&D dungeon modules before which ones. This game will involve carefully roleplaying a trapped character who very likely will die, and who has to solve a bunch of psychotically deadly puzzles, might have some secret background info that he needs to keep secret, and might at worst even have to fight his fellow party-members if things go downhill.

All the characters are fourth level PCs. I have six pregerated characters ready to play and designed to be able to survive. Once the recruitment phase is over, if any players are interested in adapting the pregenerated characters, or creating different ones, we can do that too.

This adventure is basically just a difficult deadly one shot dungeon with intricate puzzles, but I want players to know that crazy things and twists can happen and they should expect the unexpected.

I will try to keep the game going at least at 2-3 posts per week, minimum. If a players lags behind, their character can remain in position, or follow along if necessary, and I can NPC them if need be as the other players interact with the dungeon.

Before the 13th of July (GMT+2) is the official deadline.

Keywords
Puzzles. One Shot. Lethal. Deathtrap. Strange twists. Puzzles. Psychological roleplaying. 6 Pregens. Level 4. Escape room. Puzzles. Horror. Old-school inspired.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-07-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2392
Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth
Posting Interest

Order of Preference:
Order of Preference
  1. Half-Orc Cleric3/Barbarian1
  2. Half-Elf Rogue
  3. Elf Wizard
  4. Human Paladin
  5. Human Fighter
  6. Human Barbarian

Please write a role-play fragment with your preferred pick of character:
Roleplay fragment
right-aligned image
Gutnash was no more, he had died beneath the waters of baptism to be replaced by Brother Sakeen of the One True Faith. The old had died, the new had come. The High Priest and the other brothers of his order clapped and cheered because this day was long in coming for the Half-Orc.

When he first arrived at the Monastery, the debates were long and heated whether to keep the violent half bred orc. "Probably the result of a Rape upon one of the sisters from the nearby convent" one said. "Kill him now or send him back", the others shouted. "He will kill us all in our sleep" said one. "Is he not a child of the gods as the rest of us?" said one young brother. "Perhaps, he's been sent by the All Father to test our faith' said another.

He was wounded unto death but the clergy knew that the power of the OTF could heal him, but the question was 'should they'? Would the Orc tribes retaliate? Why did they leave the bloody young buck behind in the first place? Was it a test to see if the brothers would violate some pagan creed of the barbarians or had the Orc Chieftain decided that the soldier would be better off with the humans for some reason. Normally, such 'consideration' was anathema to the tribes. Perhaps as a plant to spy out their weaknesses.

Regardless, the brothers patiently built trust with the boy. They endured cuts, bites, bruises and many cruel jests. The Half Orc proved to be a real test of their personal resolve as well as their faith. But in the end, here stood the proof of the superiority of the OTF. That love could truly conquer all. The High Priest gave a very moving and impassioned speech, comparing how a young lad arrived at their door near death (physically and spiritually) and the one that stood before the assembly now (strong in both body and soul). A true miracle performed by the gods and the brothers.

Something about yourself, and your experience with RPGs, D&D and if you have played any D&D dungeon modules before which ones:
About Hyregoth I'm old by gaming standards. I have close friends who played miniatures with the old gang in Lake Geneva even before the little charts in Chainmail become the basis for D&D. I like historical, fantasy, and sci-fi miniatures; reading history; RPG's and Boardgames of every sort. I've been through 75-80 of the first and second edition TSR published adventures as well as many from Judges Guild. For 2nd and 3rd editions, I've lost track of the 'organized play' adventures that I've been on. All of them extremely fun when combined with the social element. I've played just about every RPG published between 1977-1190 whether it was Historical, Sci-fi or Fantasy same with the Computer games of the same time and genre.

Also tell me if you think you would enjoy carefully roleplaying a trapped character who
very likely will die, and who has to solve a bunch of psychotically deadly puzzles:
Death by TrapsI haven't played a lot of the 'deadly dungeon' type modules as I am usually quite invested in my characters and friends (other party members). However, a one-shot of an 'old school' thinking situation is the kind of thing I enjoy. I am an analyst by profession and interest. The mental exercise of collecting, sorting, organizing, dissecting, deducing and putting the information all back together to generate a plan of action is something I believe would be enjoyable to me. If I have to defend myself to survive, so be it. No offense to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orc.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	85588  

Last edited by Hyregoth; 06-30-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: minor corrections, added picture
Old 07-03-2020, 02:00 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36898
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Are all the pre-gens needed for the game?
Old 07-03-2020, 04:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2201
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I would be willing to play any of the roles.
If you get a full table, I can sit it out. This is only a limited interest post.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:19 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Thanks for your interest! Gutnash is great!

This adventure is basically just a difficult deadly one shot dungeon with intricate puzzles, but I want players to know that crazy things and twists can happen and they should expect the unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
Are all the pre-gens needed for the game?
Since this is a difficult adventure to survive and sort of complicated, I was going to try to stick to the original plan, and maybe adapt things if I ran it again. I have never run a game quite like this one, and it's the first adventure I run on this site too, and one that is quite unique and different in some ways. As it is though, unless I get atleast six players, I will have to convert the adventure to pathfinder, and maybe that will generate more interest.

You mean you would like to create your own character? The pregens are designed to make it possible to survive the adventure, but there is some redundancy, and some could die early too I guess and the rest still make it. I guess I can adapt things so that players can design their own characters given a bit of time. If that is want you want to do let me know and give me a draft of your character idea and I will try to work with you.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1473
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Are all the characters around 4th level?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:22 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
All the characters are fourth level PCs. I have six pregenerated characters ready to play and designed to be able to survive. Once the recruitment phase is over, if any players are interested in adapting the pregenerated characters, or creating different ones, we can do that too.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-07-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:11 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm interested, but won't have time to make a proper app for a day or two. Preferred character will be the paladin, least preferred character will be the wizard (only because I'm playing one in another game already). However, I would happily play any of them, I think.

I'll get back with you on a full application soon.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for your interest and sure, you still have time. For your information, before the 13th of July (GMT+2) is the official deadline.

Update: I added the sheet information for the suggested pregenerated characters.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-07-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:53 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Crimson; 07-10-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Eliminating redundancies and repetition!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2201
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I think I will pass this time. I might watch, but I would rather not play this one.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Finished the application, thanks for waiting for me.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, cool Paladin Crimson.

Let's see if we get enough players by the 13th of July. If not I might convert this adventure to Pathfinder and run it like that. Pathfinder is very similar to 3.5 so that shouldn't be an issue really, especially not for this adventure.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28434
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
I would love to play a 3.5 game! But I really would rather not stick with a pregen character. 50-70% of the fun in 3.5 is building a character. If you'd like me to use an archetype I would be happy to.. Perhaps rogueish? Would you accept Swordsage?

It sounds like you are using pregens to ensure survivability and I respect that, but I would appreciate the opportunity to forge my own death.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:16 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Generally speaking, I am with Hyregoth on this, but I'd like to point out that it may be more deadly to have only two players than it is to have two "prepared-ish" players and one wildcard.

Of course it's Alex's call. No way I'm quitting, either way it goes.