Other Legend of the Five Rings: A New Blight - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 422
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Legend of the Five Rings: A New Blight

Game NameLegend of the Five Rings: A New Blight
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeLow level aristocrats trying to live up to their station, or just live, amidst a deadly outbreak
FlavourGame of Thrones meets 28 Days Later. Dark, gritty, lots of politics and social aspects.
Plot SummaryYou were always the one stuck with the crap jobs. Maybe your simply the youngest of your daimyo's court, maybe your old or crippled, maybe your at the bottom of the totem pole for a more serious reason. Whatever the case, this fact is the only reason you still draw breath.

Of course it may well be the reason you were sent to this miserable village in the first place. While all the great clans were eager to find out why refugees were pouring eastward, few were the samurai actually eager to investigate personally. The tales survivors told could put a chill into even the most hardened Crab warrior. Mothers feasting on their own children, men who could rip through wooden walls with their bare hands and who didn't stop their onslaught until they were literally cut into pieces, entire villages murdered in a matter of minutes.

Enthusiastic or not you were sent to the front. Kuu, a Dragonfly city right on the edge of their border with the unicorn clan. You were to have all the hardship and fear of traveling so far from home, so close to the danger, but none of the actual honor of helping. You were left behind to 'guard possessions' in the town's lavish inn. For some time you stayed there, doing nothing productive while you clan siblings rode further west daily to check on the surrounding villages.

Then one day they did not return.

Then one night it began.

Game informationSo this is a game inspired by the Netflix show Kingdom, players can choose any clan they like, or play a monk or ronin, the only stipulation is that you were in a fairly high class inn when the cities alarm rang out. You can be acquainted or you can be strangers, you can hate each other, but you have to be able to work together.

I will say I only have a broad outline for what I'd like to do, so I'd like any applicants to go ahead and give their piece on what they want out of the game. You can typically expect at least one good post a week from me, more if I just have to drop a sentence or two.

ApplicationsName:
Clan:
School:
Personality: How do you typically approach problems, and how do you interact with others?
Background: Just a paragraph or two is needed. Of course you can write as much as you want but if you really want browny points answer the 20 character questions from the book.

Last edited by Garrettq; 06-29-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:15 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2557
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Never really got a chance to ply L5R but im to try.
Which edition is this?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
5th I think? it doesn't have a number but I just checked drivethrurpg and its the most recent one. Its on sale right now actually.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Okay. I'll re-read the rules and get a character up in in the event dew days. I have not watched all of Kingdom so us there a type of character you don't want or is everything in the book fair game?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Like I said as long as your capable of working together with a group, its fair game.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36848
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Any particular Rank or Insight rating to start with?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Standard
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Hiruma IsamuName: Hiruma Isamu
Clan: Crab
School: Hiruma Scout School
Personality: Most people don't get much from a first impression of Isamu. This is because he is shy to an almost crippling degree. Those who are close enough to him for him to drop face around understand that Isamu is a fairly kind and clever person with a love of jokes (especially bad puns) and who is committed to his duties and clan. Even though he feels he doesn't measure up to them. When doing his duty he can overcome this to an extent. He has no trouble warning people of danger for example. When working to overcome it he also gets reprieve since there are other things to worry about.

Background:
Isamu is from a branch in the Hiruma that has lost much of it's importance in the last century. He was the timid middle child of his father and mother. He thought he might wish to study as a scholar but his difficulty in social circumstances dashed those prospects. His father decided that the only hope his second son had to earn glory for the family was to enter the Scout school.

Isamu learned well his lessons though his teachers found him difficult. Some even thought slow. But he remembered his training and uses it well. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter. Since he has survived two times when his group was ambushed and people have been in accidents around him. Since he has trouble speaking up to refute rumors they only spread and grew. Now everyone thinks he is cursed. No one really wanted him around so he was sent with the group the Crab sent to investigate. Keep him away from the Kaiu wall for a bit. But all the other who went with him aren't especially pleased either. So he is told to stay and guard the inn.

Last edited by mjb; 07-05-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
WIP
Name: Kuni Chishiki

Clan: Crab

School: Kuni Purifier

Personality: Chishiki approaches problems with intense curiosity and wants to know how things tick, even if he has to cut open whatever or whoever it is. Problems are usually resolved with a calm determination. Interaction with other PCs is usually informative involving topics of the supernatural and the art of the written word. He can appreciate quality in all things even if it’s not his usual venue of interest. “Every brick in a wall has its place and purpose from the arrow slits to the foundation.”

Background: Chishiki is the youngest of five children but the only one who would grow up to be a shugenja. The others became Bushi, Scouts, and Wardens of fairly well established careers and surprisingly all still alive. He was left alone to be by himself at the library pouring over various scrolls detailing battles and excursions into the Shadowlands. The young Kuni couldn’t get enough of it. Each new story intrigued him and made him want to learn more. It seems that the Shadowlands and it’s Taint is one of the most prevalent yet unique regions in all of the empire. The Taint itself was curious as it seemed very chaotic and random both in its acquisition and effects over time. It was a mystery that his family had only just started learning how to crack.

Learning about the shadowlands and it’s denizens soon became an obsession. Most at his school appreciated his pursuits from a safe the clan and its people perspective, but were concerned about his intensity. He was warned not to go to deep down the rabbit hole should he lose his mind and his soul to Taint. He listened to the warnings, but carried on with his research. This accelerated when he was placed with one of the most infamous and cruel teachers around. Kuni Shiyoda was rumored to be a torturous man but also unparalleled in the field of medicine and great authority on knowing the different major species of monsters and their weaknesses. It was a match made in the Heavens. When word came of the trouble in Dragonfly lands, Shiyoda was summoned to check it out. Chishiki begged and pleaded to join him until the Sensei reluctantly conceded with the stipulation that Chishiki stay behind at the inn to assist him once one of the so called afflicted was captured and ready for examination. Chishiki already had his bags packed and ready to go.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 07-06-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Adding app
Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nice maybe we'll have a full crab group. Speaking of, app looks great mjb, good job making a flawed character without going to overboard with it.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:23 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 968
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
App
Work in Progress

Name:
Clan: Phoenix
School: Shiba Guardian
Personality: How do you typically approach problems, and how do you interact with others?
Background: Just a paragraph or two is needed.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
For question 18 and the heritage tables, are we rolling on the chart or allowed to chose which result we want? If we are rolling, do you have a thread we can roll in?
Old 06-30-2020, 02:38 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq View Post
Nice maybe we'll have a full crab group. Speaking of, app looks great mjb, good job making a flawed character without going to overboard with it.
Thanks! I wanted to incorporate the disadvantages I was planning on giving him while giving him reasons to be low on the totem pole.

Still working on polish.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
For question 18 and the heritage tables, are we rolling on the chart or allowed to chose which result we want? If we are rolling, do you have a thread we can roll in?

You can choose which one you want.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Eze
So I normally play on another form where I am GMing an L5R game, and I babbled in the OOC about Kingdom so often that when one of my PCs (who plays on both RPG Crossing and our other forum) saw this he pointed it out to me and I made an account just to apply

One of the things I really loved about Kingdom was watching the way a highly hierarchical society broke down (and the myriad ways in which it still managed to function!) in the face of catastrophe - things like comparing

to the

That kind of thing fascinates me, and with that in mind I was wondering if you'd let me play an Otomo who is out as the official representative of the emperor - she needs to be there to "keep peace" among the various factions looking into the difficulties, but the idea of risking her own life out where it might be dangerous is unthinkable.

The rules for Imperial Families aren't in the core rulebook. They are in the Emerald Empire supplement that came out I think March of 2019?

I want to specifically clear this idea with you before I work on it, though, because some GMs don't like imperial PCs. There is a certain amount of deference expected of clan samurai when addressing an Imperial samurai, and that can complicate party dynamic. I can promise that I don't intend to be a bully, and I figured I can show that early on by explicitly asking permission before working on the character

One thing to note, as part of their 'starting equipment' Otomo specifically get an 'attendant', and I'd want a yojimbo. Rules for that are in the core rulebook, on page 64 since Doji courtiers get them a well.

Last edited by Eze; 06-30-2020 at 11:53 PM.