RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 313
Shakram Shakram Shakram Shakram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
@Shakram

I'm working up my character. I'm toying with some new flavors along the way, and wanted to run this by you.

I'm planning playing a Druid//Planar Shepherd (FoE, 105), but wanted to reflavor that to be less straight up "nature" oriented and more world-wanderer.

I whipped up this little combination class to accomplish the reflavoring...it's on the attached PDF.

EDIT: Also, would like a ruling on wild shaping -- will we use the MM V rules that allow access to innate spellcasting (if any) possessed by forms taken?

Ah the plannar shepard I like that class, however I dont like the homebrew class because it has a few abilities that are over the top. For example the ability to move unhindered and undamaged by any means, and the ability to wildshape into outsiders and elementals, gaining all thier powers early on in the class. So no to the homebrew class.

As a plannar shepard you will eventually gain the ability to wildshape into magical beasts, at 9th level of the class you can become outsiders like devas and use all of thier abilities. So in itself the class is already overpowered. Its totally worth the wait.

I cant find the ruling on innate spellcasting your talking about, can you write it out for me?

Last edited by Shakram; 10-24-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 111
Paean Paean
Still perusing classes. I think it's more a problem of not having played in a while I have too many ideas!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM
Paladin in Training

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
Fingmaniac Fingmaniac
Everyone is showing some really creative ideas. I was just curious if anyone had any issues or questions about my proposed character.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3481
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Looking over it now, first thing I noticed is your BAB is way too high unless something in your class allows you to get more than one bab/character level. I will edit this post as i look through.

Edit: LOL your character is going to LOVE mine. And you would kick my ass with 27 SR, lol. I would have to roll a 17 to overcome it. Good thing I have cannon fodder to die for me.... lol

Everything else looks good, so your guy is a fisticuffs paladin right? And a yuan Ti that has overcome evil?

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-24-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14641
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Ambitious project, Shakram. Making really tempting to see if I have room for this.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaque View Post
Ambitious project, Shakram. Making really tempting to see if I have room for this.

Looks good I like it, if you want to try it out your welcome to try it. It looks pretty balanced. BTW welcome!

Last edited by Shakram; 10-25-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Valjek the Thrice Damned
left-aligned image

Name: Valjek the Thrice Damned
Race: Hellbred(mind)[FCII]
Alignment: LE
Class: Undead Lord(Cleric, pathfinder) 3 Wizard(pathfinder) 3 True Necromancer 9[LM pg 51]
Deity: Asmodeus(kind of)
Feats: Craft Wonderous Items, Improved Familiar, Undead Leadership[LM pg 23], Corpsecrafter[LM pg 23], Deadly Chill[LM pg 23], Nimble bones[LM pg 23]
Archetype: Lord of the Dead
Goals: Currently to gain eternal life through lichdom, eventually to usurp Vecna.

Description

Personality

Background

Followers:

The Necrotic Citadel

Not seeing your progression on your classes nor how you qualify for them. Also the undead under your command should be based on the limits of the classes you have.

To be honest there are alot of abilities players can have for classes and I do not want to go pouring through books so I ask that any non SRD classes, feats, and abilities players want to use to please put the information on it in a spoiler.

Last edited by Shakram; 10-25-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Will do, it is still wip, was going to finish tonight but couldn't concentrate with wife and baby. I'll have it done tomorrow.

Short answer is true necromancer requires caster lvl 2 in divine and arcane and gives caster lvls in both. So I am caster level 10 in arcane and divine casting. I will copy my undead hd directly controlled to the application as well, and the undead from undead leadership.

My intention with the roughly 150 undead under control, is having most of them at the castle I purchased and only bringing one or two on adventures with me. A mount and my cohort for example, leaving the other monstrous undead as a castle guard. That can also act as a group base of operations if needed. And I leave 30 hd worth of undead free to use while adventuring.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-25-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Will do, it is still wip, was going to finish tonight but couldn't concentrate with wife and baby. I'll have it done tomorrow.

Short answer is true necromancer requires caster lvl 2 in divine and arcane and gives caster lvls in both. So I am caster level 10 in arcane and divine casting. I will copy my undead hd directly controlled to the application as well, and the undead from undead leadership.

My intention with the roughly 150 undead under control, is having most of them at the castle I purchased and only bringing one or two on adventures with me. A mount and my cohort for example, leaving the other monstrous undead as a castle guard. That can also act as a group base of operations if needed. And I leave 30 hd worth of undead free to use while adventuring.
Looks like an awesome and powerful character however. . . .

A few things. . . . .
A wizard can never give up divination to fulfill the requirement for prohibited schools.
Crafting costs will dip into your XP you may want to rethink it.
No matter how many times you use animate dead, you can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level.

Puts you at about 40hd of undead skeletons and zombies.

The SRD states that only skeletons and zombies may be created with animate dead I dont see any character abilities which allow players to use animate undead on 20hd monsters.
Also as a rule of thumb I wont be allowing any permenant cohorts or followers to have more HD than the player characters.

Last edited by Shakram; 10-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2332
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Shakram:
Eh, Okay. I'll just do normal Druid 1-5//PlanShep 10//Druid 6-etc.

I will ask this:

Can I get a DM ruling that allows me to merge Planar Shepherd with my Druid levels? PlanShep is literally a druid per flavor text, and progresses everything anyway. The big thing here is that I'd like to keep A Thousand Faces and Timeless Body from Druid.

EDIT*: I'll see if I can dig up the rule. I know I have the actual text somewhere (have a DnD PDF library that is too big for my own good). In short, however, it states that outsider spellcasting abilities are Ex/Su abilities. This means that as a PlanShep, I would gain these abilities when assuming the form of outsiders native to my attuned plane.

Last edited by Alphaeus; 10-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
@Shakram:
Eh, Okay. I'll just do normal Druid 1-5//PlanShep 10//Druid 6-etc.

I will ask this:

Can I get a DM ruling that allows me to merge Planar Shepherd with my Druid levels? PlanShep is literally a druid per flavor text, and progresses everything anyway. The big thing here is that I'd like to keep A Thousand Faces and Timeless Body from Druid.

EDIT*: I'll see if I can dig up the rule. I know I have the actual text somewhere (have a DnD PDF library that is too big for my own good). In short, however, it states that outsider spellcasting abilities are Ex/Su abilities. This means that as a PlanShep, I would gain these abilities when assuming the form of outsiders native to my attuned plane.

I reccomend taking a 1 level dip after 15th level to gain Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, and Timeless Body

How about Druid 6 Plannar shepard 9
You get outsider wild shapes and all thier abilities plus the druid abilities you wanted.

Durid abilities

Last edited by Shakram; 10-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2332
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Shakam:

Sure, that'll work. Planar Self is a "Meh" capstone for PlanShep anyway.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
OK, apologized on divination, I changed it to enchantment and swapped my one enchantment spell out.

For the animated dragon: "Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. (The desecrate spell doubles this limit)" I am always under the effects of a desecrate, so I could theoretically raise a 60hd zombie and not be able to control it. lol.

If you don't want to allow a CR7 undead minion, I can pick something else, it is no worries, but it should be possible according to animate dead(I just love dragons). I have a fun backup idea for one.

For the HD breakdown(this will be added to my app):

Undead Point Pools:

Cleric: 40 hd
Sromeriok 20 hd

Cleric Command(rebuke): 12hd
10 lvl 1 humanoid warrior zombies

Wizard: 40 hd
10 4 hd fighter skeletons, The Blackguards

Wizard Command(rebuke): 12hd
10 lvl 1 humanoid warrior skeletons

Unless there has been a retcon in the rules since I sifted through 3.5, your divine and arcane animate dead hd pools are separate(and cannot be combined). So as a 10 CL arcane, I can control 40hd, then as a 10 CL divine I can control 40hd. Separately, both my wizard and cleric get the ability to command(rebuke) undead, giving them each a separate pool of controlled undead equal to the class level, which is 12 for wizard and 12 for cleric(the true necromancer counts for both) and those pools are not limited to skeletons and zombies.

I hope that makes sense?

Edit: I was incorrect on my controlled HD, it would actually be +3 CL on all of them due to necromantic prowess +3

Xp cost for items would be 3200, how bad does that effect me?

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
OK, apologized on divination, I changed it to enchantment and swapped my one enchantment spell out.

For the animated dragon: "Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. (The desecrate spell doubles this limit)" I am always under the effects of a desecrate, so I could theoretically raise a 60hd zombie and not be able to control it. lol.

If you don't want to allow a CR7 undead minion, I can pick something else, it is no worries, but it should be possible according to animate dead(I just love dragons). I have a fun backup idea for one.

For the HD breakdown(this will be added to my app):

Undead Point Pools:

Cleric: 40 hd
Sromeriok 20 hd

Cleric Command(rebuke): 12hd
10 lvl 1 humanoid warrior zombies

Wizard: 40 hd
10 4 hd fighter skeletons, The Blackguards

Wizard Command(rebuke): 12hd
10 lvl 1 humanoid warrior skeletons

Unless there has been a retcon in the rules since I sifted through 3.5, your divine and arcane animate dead hd pools are separate(and cannot be combined). So as a 10 CL arcane, I can control 40hd, then as a 10 CL divine I can control 40hd. Separately, both my wizard and cleric get the ability to command(rebuke) undead, giving them each a separate pool of controlled undead equal to the class level, which is 12 for wizard and 12 for cleric(the true necromancer counts for both) and those pools are not limited to skeletons and zombies.
I hope that makes sense?
I see where your comming from however the HD max would be considered 4 times your caster level, reguardless of wizard or cleric caster level the two don't stack.
So the max would still be 40HD-44HD. Is there a rule somewhere saying they stack when it comes to your caster level and undead?

Last edited by Shakram; 10-25-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
I am not saying they stack, as they don't, I am saying they are separate pools of HD.

For example, if you were a 4th lvl wizard and a 10th lvl cleric

Wizard part would be able to control 16HD of undead

On the cleric side you could control 40HD of undead

Cleric also has rebuke, which is 10hd of undead seperate from the other two.

You cannot control one 66HD undead, they don't stack. You could use wizard spells to animate 16 1hd skeletons, and cleric spells to control 40 1hd skeletons, then use your rebuke to control a 10hd vampire.