Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12248
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
Back to Basics

Game NameBack to Basics
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeSandbox, Basic Adventuring, Free will, Unusual Class/Race Combos
FlavourReal Danger and risk of death if players are being stupid, but there will be plenty of Humour mixed in.
Information

There is two things you need to know before we begin.

First: You will likely be playing a race and class that is an uncommon combo.

Two: You won't be saving the world, unless you want to.
Game SystemPathfinder
GMHound
SummaryThis will be a simple Sandbox game. You will be starting in a Large town called Dogriver. For one reason or another you have come together with a group of adventurers to complete various quests and earn money, prestige, and magical items.

I will be relying on the players to help flush out the world. Want to be a former noble who's family wealth and status was taken away by a usurper? Go ahead! Want to be a crazed barbarian who fancies himself a cobbler and "cobbles" people over the head with a boot in every encounter? Knock yourse--- er... the enemy out! You create your world! Now, occasionally we may have to make minor edits, so Player A and Player B both don't say they come from the far east, but one describes it as a Lush Jungle and the other describes it as a Desert.
SelectionUPDATE PLAYERS SELECTED!

I will select between 4 and 6 players depending on the quality of submissions. I will provide reviews and recommendations along the way.
Character CreationA character sheet is not required until you are selected. But I know some people (like myself) love to build the character even if they might not get in, so here is the rules:

AttributesTo encourage uncommon class/race combos, I'll be implementing a special rule.

No Attribute may, after racial adjustments but before items and leveling, exceed 16. The starting array will contain 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10. That means, every race will have to place the 18 in their worst category. For humans, half orcs, and half elves, they will get two 16's instead of an 18 and 16 because they do not have negative racial trait.

Edit: I realized this was forcing people to do extreme opposites rather than unusual combos. If you would rather not put the 18 in your negative area because you don't want that stat at a 16, you can instead use the 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 array just like the humans, half elves, and half orcs do. This way you can still do a Gnome Wizard without giving him 16 strength (unless you wanted to. Buff little wizard, he was.)

Following this rule, for my example I want to create a Gnome Ranger. I place the 18 in the Strength category since it is my weakest area, becoming a 16. I cannot place my 16 in Con or Charisma as this would go over the limits.

Thus my Ranger comes out looking like this: Strength 16, Dexterity 16, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 14, Charisma 12. As you can see, even my best stats are not unusually godly, and my worst stats are not all bad. I'm able to have a very well balanced character and I can play an uncommon combo without the worry that another player will Min/Max out their own character and make me useless by comparison.

If you have any questions on how this works, feel free to ask. (You may have noticed this is why the notable PC's often have jobs that are uncommon to them.)

Gnome Barbarians can finally work!

Races: Core, Catfolk, Ratfolk, Lizardfolk, Gnoll, Tengu, Grippli.
Classes: Core, Alchemist, Cavalier, Advanced GunsGunslinger, Magus, Oracle, Witch, Arcanist, Bloodrager, Brawler, Hunter, Shaman, Skald, Slayer, Swashbuckler, Warpriest, Unchained Rogue, Unchained Barbarian, Unchained Monk
Archetypes: Anything Pazio
Alignment: Non-Evil
Description: Pictures are pretty, but words say so much more. Make sure you include basic things like Height, weight, eye colour, anything that stands out like scars or tattoos, etc...
Religion: You may worship any non-evil god found here.
Starting Level: 3
Skills: We will be observing the Background skill rules set.
Feats: We will be observing the Feat Taxes 3rd party rule.
Traits: By default, 2 Traits. Players may take 1 drawback if they desire to gain 1 additional Trait. Players may also take the feat Additional traits to earn 2 more for a grand total of 5 traits. No two traits may be of the same category, and players are not allowed to select Campaign traits with the exception of "Trap Finder"
Health Points: Max at odds, half at evens.
Wealth: 3,000 gp
Other Items: Keep in mind, we will be tracking hunger, hygiene, comfort, etc... By which I mean, if your character doesn't have a bar of soap, or a sleeping bag, or trail rations, he or she may be in a lot of trouble.

Backstory: The minimum is the 10 minute background, but further detail is allowed.

Role play example: Optional. Keep under 1,000 words or I probably won't read it.

Applicants
Player Name Character Name Race Class Completed? Reviewed? Revised?
Togot Kai Knee High Halfling Monk Yes Yes Yes
LittleBlueNA Rissi Ratfolk Witch Yes Yes Yes
Wight Wolf Scrik Ratfolk Oracle Yes Yes Yes
TheGoodDoctor Santos Lizardfolk Bard Yes Yes Yes
Zealot Krykx Burstdance Gnoll Magus Yes Yes Yes
Crocodile Zug Grippli Barbarian Yes Yes Yes
Warson Nix Gnome Brawler Yes Yes Yes
LeoBryon Withdrawn Human Unchained Monk Yes Yes Yes
Maghnuis Hrrr'rr Catfolk Sorcerer WIP No No
Nomadic druid Kassa Frass Half-orc Bard Missing Step 5Almost No No
Verdant Glitter Adalicia Vivienne Amber Falconess (Tengu) Swashbuckler Yes Yes Yes
JackinIrons Sebastian Bercilak Ratfolk Played as a KnightHunter Yes Yes Yes
DAquilina Hawke Swiftwind Tengu Unchained Rogue Yes Yes Yes
Rylus Broc Anvilmind Dwarf Cleric/Wizard Yes Yes Yes
Xalos Katrak the Naive Gnoll Druid Yes Yes Yes
Citizen Sam Vreilund 'Vree' Swainard Human Arcanist Yes Yes Yes
Dpete Quinndillick "Quinn" Miresfolk Grippli Alchemist Yes Yes Yes
CraftingWhen it comes time to build your character sheets, I will remind you this again, but I will want you all to spend as much of the 3,000 gold as possible. Any left over gold will be removed from your inventory. You will then receive 5 Gold coins, 10 Silver coins and 20 Copper coins.

There will be no "complete this reward to earn 1,000 gold coins!" Quests because in the world I am envisioning, most people just won't have that kind of money. I will be paying close attention to this guide:

Quote:
Destitute (0 gp/month): The PC is homeless and lives in the wilderness or on the streets. A destitute character must track every purchase, and may need to resort to Survival checks or theft to feed himself.

Poor (3 gp/month): The PC lives in common rooms of taverns, with his parents, or in some other communal situation—this is the lifestyle of most untrained laborers and commoners. He need not track purchases of meals or taxes that cost 1 sp or less.

Average (10 gp/month): The PC lives in his own apartment, small house, or similar location—this is the lifestyle of most trained or skilled experts or warriors. He can secure any nonmagical item worth 1 gp or less from his home in 1d10 minutes, and need not track purchases of common meals or taxes that cost 1 gp or less.

Wealthy (100 gp/month): The PC has a sizable home or a nice suite of rooms in a fine inn. He can secure any nonmagical item worth 5 gp or less from his belongings in his home in 1d10 minutes, and need only track purchases of meals or taxes in excess of 10 gp.

Extravagant (1,000 gp/month): The PC lives in a mansion, castle, or other extravagant home—he might even own the building in question. This is the lifestyle of most aristocrats. He can secure any nonmagical item worth 25 gp or less from his belongings in his home in 1d10 minutes. He need only track purchases of meals or taxes in excess of 100 gp.
For the average person they must spend 10 GP a month to live. That's just over 4 Silver pieces per day. That's just to live. That doesn't include fun money, or when they get sick and need special medicine, or anything else like that.

Most jobs will not offer you too much in Gold pieces, though you will get offered some. Perhaps 2 gold per Goblin for example. You will usually be offered other useful things. Such as a couple cure light potions or an antidote or two. It will vary. To "purchase" big expensive items like a +4 Headband of intelligence will be nearly impossible in the original sense.

Instead crafting will rely heavily on getting specific crafting items. This will make quests all the more important, and your crafting and profession skills all the more important.

Things you may want to consider having: Professions: Herbalist, Skinner, Miner, Butcher.

Survival is an important skill and can be used for most of the gathering professions, but since it is more of a jack of all trades skill, it won't be able to do any of gathering at peak efficiency. Still, you can't completely neglect Survival. It's needed for tracking, camping, and so much more.

If you provided all of the materials needed for the item, you'd pretty much just be paying for the crafter's time, which is fairly reasonable. Of course, someone in the party may take crafting skills if the desire.

The way I am thinking of doing materials, most animal, monster, etc... will have at least one item that can be used for crafting. To harvest will require an appropriate roll. For example the liver may need butcher, the hide would need skinning, maybe a zombie with a rotblossom flower growing in its skull could need herbalist. Etc exceeding the DC by a certain amount will get you a pristine version.

The value of the item is equal to cr squared x 10. Pristine may add anywhere from 10% to doubling the value. Creatures of less than 1 cr are not valuable at all. So the hide of a cr 5 creature would be about 250 gold. Now you probably can't find someone to outright buy this for full value but you could use it to replace the gold cost of constructing a magical items. You would need 1 hide and some other item and combine them to make a +1 cloak for example. Upgrading a clock from +1 to +2 might require an elemental core from a slain elemental or some other quest like item.

Clear as mud?
Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloth themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged. They are always waiting for the right climate in which to flourish spreading fear in the name of righteousness.

Last edited by Hound; 12-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1775
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Sounds great! I will be applying for sure. Thanks for running this game!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
My special attribute rule basically creates characters with around a 30 to 35 point buy which is very powerful. The common person will not have that array, so don't expect every single Halfling to be walking around with a 16 strength.

Edit: I realized this was forcing people to do extreme opposites rather than unusual combos. If you would rather not put the 18 in your negative area because you don't want that stat at a 16, you can instead use the 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 array just like the humans, half elves, and half orcs do. This way you can still do a Gnome Wizard without giving him 16 strength (unless you wanted to. Buff little wizard, he was.) *Has been added to the original post.
Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloth themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged. They are always waiting for the right climate in which to flourish spreading fear in the name of righteousness.

Last edited by Hound; 01-13-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1069
Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot
Intriguing, will keep an eye on this :-)

Unusual combo means nobody plays human right? As humans can do anything and often do.

Edit: Also, no inquisitor, shame.

Last edited by Zealot; 01-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I won't stop people from playing humans, but it will make it so Humans are not the end all, be all of every class.

You can have a Dwarf be a Bard, an Elf be a fighter, a Halfling be a barbarian, a Gnome a Wizard, and they would all be just as good if not better than if you were playing a human. Sure that bonus feat is awesome, but look at all the fun extras those races have. That HAS to be equal to a feat.

Plus with tax feats removed, players are a little less feat starved and can do most builds easier without relying on that human bonus feat to make things work at lower levels.

Last edited by Hound; 01-14-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Glowing Warpstone

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 985
InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats InterrogatesCats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
This way you can still do a Gnome Wizard without giving him 16 strength (unless you wanted to. Buff little wizard, he was.)
I mean, who doesn't want to play a muscle wizard and cast fist though? Obviously the best idea you'll ever hear.

Though now this has awakened a memory of a gnome, tag team wrestling greentext... Consider me interested!

Last edited by InterrogatesCats; 01-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Fist is my favourite cantrip
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Can races access other Races archetypes?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
Can races access other Races archetypes?
what are you thinking? this sounds like a very case by case question. For example i would allow a half elf use elf or human racial archetypes without much thought. I may even allow a gnome, since lore wise, gnomes and elves both are descended from fey.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:12 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
what are you thinking? this sounds like a very case by case question. For example i would allow a half elf use elf or human racial archetypes without much thought. I may even allow a gnome, since lore wise, gnomes and elves both are descended from fey.
Was going to do a Gnoll Spelldancer ;-)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds hilariously good. Go for it!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Sounds hilariously good. Go for it!

Can I stack Bladebound and Spelldancer as RAW it doesnt work (Bladebound reduces Arcane Pool and Spelldancer changes enhancement options)

If so I will do a Bladebound, Bladed Scarf, Spelldancer Hexcrafter Magus. And a Gnoll.

Edit: Also have to rule if I can have a bladed scarf as a Blackblade.

Otherwise known as......the least optimised Magus ever.

16-16-14-16-10-10

Last edited by Zealot; 01-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Well... See Spell Dancer removes the ability to enhance their weapon, which is normally one of their best abilities. I do like those spells and think that getting them as swift actions is a really nice and is a fair trade off. If I gave you blade bound, it gives you a free magic weapon with free enhancements. That seems like you're trying to have your cake and ice cream at the same time. That said, the reduced arcane pool would further limit the amount of times you can spell dance in a single day.

If allowed this, I actually think you could make a very strong Magus. I am going to allow this for now based purely on how hilariously cool the idea of a Gnoll swinging a bladed scarf around and casting spells through it.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Well... See Spell Dancer removes the ability to enhance their weapon, which is normally one of their best abilities. I do like those spells and think that getting them as swift actions is a really nice and is a fair trade off. If I gave you blade bound, it gives you a free magic weapon with free enhancements. That seems like you're trying to have your cake and ice cream at the same time. That said, the reduced arcane pool would further limit the amount of times you can spell dance in a single day.

If allowed this, I actually think you could make a very strong Magus. I am going to allow this for now based purely on how hilariously cool the idea of a Gnoll swinging a bladed scarf around and casting spells through it.
Also get reduced spell casting from bladed scarf and said bladed scarf will critique what the Gnoll is doing.

In common, which the Gnoll doesnt understand.

Literally the scarf would be how he commumicates with non-Gnolls until level 4 and a ski point in linguistics.

Last edited by Zealot; 01-14-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Ya, you will definitely be more Fighter than Wizard, but dang if you're not going to be the prettiest, most graceful gnoll there ever was. Your AC is actually going to be quite high If I calculated it correctly.