RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 AM
Troubled Poet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12748
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Are samurai and ninjas also barred? They aren't explicitly listed, but they're basically arechtypes of cavalier and rogue, respectively.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 AM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12248
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
@Kaylara

@DAquilina
I didn't mention Ninja and Samurai because I believe anyone who would have traveled that far to this land would be stronger than level 3.
Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloth themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged. They are always waiting for the right climate in which to flourish spreading fear in the name of righteousness.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16838
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
@Kaylara

@DAquilina
I didn't mention Ninja and Samurai because I believe anyone who would have traveled that far to this land would be stronger than level 3.
I agree that to travel solo would require a certain level of personal might but if one travels with a trade caravan from the far east or in the company of someone more capable it would not be impossible.

Still dangerous mind you but doable. Reggie pulled it off but he had his high level adopted dad with him.

Complete respect if you think the game shouldn't be flooded by far east encroachers though.

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-20-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18086
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
@Hound:

Last edited by kaylara; 01-20-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloth themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged. They are always waiting for the right climate in which to flourish spreading fear in the name of righteousness.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Troubled Poet

Tools
User Statistics
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
So if we can justify it, then samurai is good? I wanted to make a tengu sword saint.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
I'm just going to say no.

In all honesty, Leobryon did not include the fact that he was some how adopted or that he would be praising an Tien god, or using a katana when he proposed the character. He, in his initial proposal, was a farmer that used improvised weapons, which I really liked. The idea of a farmer being really good at using shovels or chairs or what ever to beat up people made me giggle and agree.

He added these details afterward. Honestly it doesn't really match what I wanted.

I don't want Samurai or Ninja. Please, there is 26 approved classes.

Last edited by Hound; 01-20-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Troubled Poet

Tools
User Statistics
Okie dokes, new plan.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
I'm just going to say no.

In all honesty, Leobryon did not include the fact that he was some how adopted or that he would be praising an Tien god, or using a katana when he proposed the character. He, in his initial proposal, was a farmer that used improvised weapons, which I really liked. The idea of a farmer being really good at using shovels or chairs or what ever to beat up people made me giggle and agree.

He added these details afterward. Honestly it doesn't really match what I wanted.

I don't want Samurai or Ninja. Please, there is 26 approved classes.
I was mostly worried I'd be subpar with only shovels or buckets with Gnoll druids and other awesome characters around. Monks are subpar in PF, though I guess less so as unchained. I can drop the eastern angle altogether. The character just sort of took me there as I was building him.

The actual thought process that took me there was looking for real weapons that look like shovels and stumbling on Monk's Spade. It is an eastern weapon so I started looking at that and found the Katana Hungry Ghost build which sounded cool.

My character was going to have this secret where the ritual that killed his mother actually maimed him (hence the tainted spirit drawback) and would have him constantly craving the soul essence of others. Eventually he would feed off the souls of his enemies with his hungry ghost abilities to replenish himself. I also had a bunch of extra feats since you are using the feat tax rules so I could fit in the Katana concept with the shovel concept.

Is it the Eastern flavour you don't like or the thought of Reggie using anything other than his improvised weapons? Would switching to Sarenrae and the scimitar be more to your liking? Part of this side build was me adding my own touch to the awesome recommendations you gave me. I like my characters to be my own creation up to a point.

He would still be in hiding from some nefarious devil worshiping cult but he would be western flavoured. Because the scimitar would give him away as a worshipper of Sarenrae, he would use it only rarely, relying instead on his trusty shovel.

It'd be especially awesome if said shovel could be reach, but I don't want to munchkinize as long as Reggie is on par with the other players. I think by definition improvised weapons are not reach so maybe not.

Let me know if I can tweak Reggie to be more in line with what you are looking for and I can bang away at it.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Historically speaking, the people of Okinawa were banned from owning "weapons" during occupation by Japan. They were allowed to have agricultural tools, of course, in order to farm and raise livestock.

Thus, the birth of the Sai (rice hook), Tonfa (grain thresher/beater), the Bo (walking/shephard staff), Kama (harvest sickle) and Nunchaku (rice flail).

Perhaps the PC could learn proficiency with them, as "hidden" or improvised weapons?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I did link you that one item that allows you to apply magic enhancements to improvised weapons, and improvised weapons can surprise enemies and catch them flat footed. As so implied, though not specifically stated in the feat "Catch off guard"

With my allowance of the ascetic style being compatible with improvised weapons that I approved, the improvised weapons would deal monk level -4 unarmed damage (robe would even this out) and you could use stunning fist or other similar abilities through the weapons. I totally think it is workable.

That said, I have no issues with you taking a cleric level and using another weapon to flurry with, though a Scimitar definitely does not work with Ascetic style.

If you want to focus more on being a monk/cleric and really play up the scimitar part, there are several build suggestions I could give you to more optimize that rather than the improvised items.

Unchainned monks are actually really awesome compared to plain monks and easily one of the best melee classes capable of using MANY spell-like abilities with Ki.

I would not be offended at all if you wanted to drop the improvised items and focus on a different type. My only recommendation is not splitting your focus. You're starting at only level 3, so splitting your focus between two different types of weapons at such low levels will drop your efficiency considerably.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Canadian, Eh

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
Historically speaking, the people of Okinawa were banned from owning "weapons" during occupation by Japan. They were allowed to have agricultural tools, of course, in order to farm and raise livestock.

Thus, the birth of the Sai (rice hook), Tonfa (grain thresher/beater), the Bo (walking/shephard staff), Kama (harvest sickle) and Nunchaku (rice flail).

Perhaps the PC could learn proficiency with them, as "hidden" or improvised weapons?
All four of these would be considered farming tools and weapons, and since we're using "categories" you could take Martial focus farming tools and it would apply to all five of these weapons and improvised weapon.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7723
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Use a ladder. Have you ever seen Jackie Channel with a ladder?
You could take back ground skills in house painting.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Alright. I'll look at the build again. I hadn't really factored Ascetic Style in my summation of the build's potential. The trait that gives me +2 to attacks is pretty sweet especially at this level. I didn't feel like I was splitting my focus that much since I had so many Feats thanks to the Feat Tax rules.

I'm all for building a character you'll enjoy. If my writing can also entice you to send me an invite we can all be happy. I mean, I first thought of making an actual commoner that would suck but that is when I thought you wanted silly characters that were not powerful.

I'll go full Unchained Monk with no Archetype I think. I was considering Monk of the Empty Hand but I think it's pointless since I can use Ascetic Style with Improvised weapons.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
No longer feeling inspired for this character's story. Maybe I'll work on it again but nothing is coming to me. He might be dead in the water. Hey it happens.