RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3854
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
@Giot. Made some adjustments. Hope they are up to spec. Hoping this is good. This app process is a knew experience for me and as much as I enjoy trying to write decent to quality posts in all of the games I've been lucky enough to get into, this is by far the most challenging. I love it.

Really wish I could have used my Phoenix sorcerer BUT she wouldd not have fit the game concept.

Anyways, hope Tai good enough to get in, but if not, thank for this writing exercise. It's been a fun way to stretch my writing muscles.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:40 AM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 692
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla

Last edited by Sarsprilla; 01-06-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18205
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giot View Post

Bhelogan: .... I'm curious if Sergus has any character flaws or vices, as he is largely presented as a relatively stoic older sibling/unit commander, ..
First, thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

The biggest flaw I tried to include in a couple places in the narrative, is that he isn't always very perceptive. He focuses on what is right in front of him to a great deal, but misses things going on around him. (Read, WIS as a dump stat). I kind of view him as like the absent-minded professor type. Don't know that I view him as a tactician in that sense.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5396
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Sarsprilla, no worries on the 1st vs 3rd person, just wanted to throw it out there as a casual mention, it won't have any impact on my decision. lydklein, I'll definitely take another look soon. Probably not today since I have a lot going on, but hopefully tomorrow.

Bhelogan, I see. Definitely fits with the character, thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by Giot; 01-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2909
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Half Elf, Half Mad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1552
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel

Old 01-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 692
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla

Last edited by Sarsprilla; 01-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 712
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
@Giot. Thanks for the feedback! I added a few memories and back story to spice things up. Hope you enjoy!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2909
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
I think I'm settled on Final Review and whenever that will happen, just know that if there's still some clarity needed I will do so! (At this point, I'm not sure where and anything specifically would help me there lol). I anxiously await for the reveal day of who is picked, regardless though, I know this game will be amazingly fun and worthy of those who did such a wonderful job on their applications!

Meredith
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the comments and questions everyone. At this point, I think I'm going to stop answering specific mechanical questions about the character creation process until after players have been selected. I know that you are all excited, and I have had plenty of games were I loved creating the character just for the sake of doing so, but I don't want to get too far ahead of the game. Questions about class options and other things that will have an impact on your application I will happily answer, but if it can be left for later then let's let it be for now.

Thanks for all the interest and phenomenal apps! I'm sure next Monday won't come soon enough.

Last edited by Giot; 01-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 351
Ed Starwind Ed Starwind Ed Starwind Ed Starwind
I know it is late in the game to be adding on, but I have ideas starting to float around in my head. I peeked through your rules about sorcerers. Are there any restrictions/edits on divine spellcasters? How do your deities play out? Should I make my initial post using a Forgotten Realms approach and adjust once we get in to the nitty gritty or consult you about the divine first?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
Mechanically, divine magic will work as in the core rules. I have intentionally left out any discussion about pantheons, gods, etc. from my world but you may use anything you want in your backstory. You can worship Zeus, Odin, Ra, Cthulhu, Moradin, Pelor, or whoever else you wish! You can use the Realms and there shouldn't be any need to adjust your application/backstory once the game gets started.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3584
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
It's a What If? crossover graphicless novel.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 01-07-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3854
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Damn there are some great apps here.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 351
Ed Starwind Ed Starwind Ed Starwind Ed Starwind
William Olek

OOC
Please forgive my rather poor Dwarven accent in parts.

Indeed, we all face struggles, friends. We are all constantly at war. We war with the darkness of Gods like Shar and her misery, Bane and his oppression, and Cyric and his lies. We war with the troubled times we live in. We are even at war with the darkness that resides inside our own souls. But take heart, children, for Torm knows your troubles. He can guide you in whatever war you may be facing; for it is indeed a war, with your very soul at stake.

William Olek looked over his small group of parishioners. They were mostly farmers and soldiers. Those who knew struggles and turmoil. Torm was a lesser known God in this area, but his message rang true with more people each month, and what had started as a couple of families had grown to a small group of about 50. There was one lady weeping in a front pew. He knew her story well, as did most of the town. Her son had given in to his own demons. Jacob made a name for himself killing no less than a dozen people. She was one of the first members of his new temple here in this small, budding community on the outskirts of Neverwinter. She would pray for her son to turn from his wicked ways and find peace and step out of the shadows to pay for his crimes. William moved to comfort the woman when a battalion of soldiers approached the open building they were using as a temple. The Captain dismounted and approached the group, his hand on his sword, but the weapon remained sheathed. A squire brought him a scroll that bore the royal seal of Neverwinter. He unrolled it and began to read.

By the order of the great King Neverember, may his glory and Neverwinter shine forever, this ‘meeting’ allegedly devoted to the God Torm, led by one William Olek, and supported by the twisted mother of the murder, Jacob Newsong, is hereby commanded to disband any and all activities that are under the guise of ‘worship’. William is hereby ordered to cease all activities connected to harboring the fugitive, Jacob Newsong. He must also cease all activities regarding this cult he is creating and leave this realm for the rest of his days, unless he wishes to stand in judgement alongside the murderer as an accomplice and be placed in suspicion of high treason.

William stood in shock as his brethren began to shout angrily about the accusations that were being falsely laid against their priest, and by association, themselves. Diane Newsong collapsed to the floor, weeping uncontrollably. William moved to comfort her, but found his way blocked as the rest of the battalion began to circle around him, weapons readied. He looked around with a flash of anger at the injustice being carried out here.[/FIELDSET]

Childhood and a Challenge
It reminded him of the day he had started on this journey. He had grown up one row of bad luck shy of the streets, but he wasn’t resentful. Instead his parents had made the best of their misfortune, finding all the worldly needs they had in each other and their children. It had taught him contentment and pleasure in the simple things. He had also learned that there was no prosperity in stealing his way up in the world. When he was 17, a woman had been robbed and the thief ran in his direction. He tripped the man and went to grab the purse, and his hand came up slick with blood. The thief had fallen on his own knife and killed himself. The guards entered the alley to find the man on the ground dead with William’s hands covered in his blood. They snatched the purse and placed him under arrest. When brought before the judge, the evidence was damning. He knew the boy and knew that he would not steal, but he could not ignore the evidence. In the most merciful thing he could do, instead of death or dismemberment, he exiled the boy from Baldur’s Gate.

The next several years taught him how to fight, and he saw the world with a band of adventurers. Their travels led him to an old temple dedicated to Torm, and to his meeting with the God himself. The vision gave him a new path to follow, and a test of his true nature. He left the company of the heroes he traveled with in the dwarven town of Slatefall. It had fallen under the oppression of a cruel slave master that had taken all the young males until almost all the women had become barren. Slatefall was on the brink of becoming a ghost town when William tried to reason with the slave master. The slave master refused and tried to take William as a slave anyways before Torm’s voice echoed in his head.

You are ready. Challenge him to holy combat in my name. Then I will teach you everything.

The challenge was successful as he defeated the slave master and freed the town from certain death. As the town praised him, William taught them what he knew of Torm and told his story.

New Friends and a New Beginning
He stayed with the town for the next several years, helping mend the damage that was done to it as well as helping in the mines that Dwarves viewed as almost holy. He befriended an elder dwarf by the name of Grundark. Grundark oversaw the mines, a duty that he held with great honor and diligence. He tried to teach William how to read the seemingly invisible lines in the earth below. Lines that told where the valuable ores and minerals were growing. It was a running joke between the two that William would stroke his beard and claim William was too tall and too clean shaven to read the stones like a proper dwarf. In return, William taught them about Torm, and how they all can honor him in their courage to continue their struggles. When 3 years had passed, the town was settling into routine once again. Cries of young children could be heard in the town as any female that could was all too willing to conceive a child to help restore the village. One final evening, as spring had begun to blossom in the treetops, the winds suddenly changed, blowing towards the mountains. William looked at his old friend and knew that it was time for him to move on.

It is time. I feel the call of Torm. He has much to teach me, and there are things I must now face in the mountains.

Aye, I feel it too, friend. I had been hopin’ ye would stay, but I canna deny the God’s will. I will miss you, William.

I will miss you and everyone in Slatefall as well. You have been most kind, and I pray that you all will face your struggles with courage. May Torm smile upon you.

And on ye as well, William. Even though I canna give ye the mighty stature o’ a proper dwarf, nor the great facial hair, but I can give ye this.

Grundark pointed over to a wall on which hung a very human-sized suit of plate mail. The craftsmanship was even finer than anything William had ever seen. If the stories about Dwarven craftsmanship were true, then he was staring at the work of a true master. The breastplate was crafted out of a solid sheet of mithral. The legs and arms as well. The suit gleamed in the torchlight with a reddish silver. A symbol was set into the right breast of the armor, the gauntlet symbol of Torm, somehow embossed in ivory. A lump rose in his throat as he could not find the words that would express the gratitude he felt for the drawf.

Aye, it almos’ brings a tear to my eye as well. Such beau’y deserves a grand champion to wear it, don’ ye think?

Indeed it does. I love you, my stout brother, and I hate to leave. I do not know where my travels will take me, but I will do my best to return here again.

William embraced his friend as they both shed a small tear and, with Grundark’s help, he donned the mithral armor. He marveled in the lightness of it, and how freely he felt he could move with it. The dwarf took his awe and silence as all the praise he needed.

There. Now ye look like a holy warrior. Stay safe, lad. Be courageous in yer quest. I do pray ye find wha’ yer after.

Foundations and Foreboding
After a final night full of tears and laughter, as well as a hearty meal, William followed Torm’s call into the mountains with the rising dawn. It was there that he learned from the avatar of the God of Courage and Self-Sacrifice and became a priest of his order; which had led him all the way to Neverwinter and his new congregation.
William had been in Neverwinter for about 5 years now, arriving just after his 26th birthday. When he arrived, he looked much like the youth that had walked the threshold of Baldur’s Gate almost 8 years ago. Sure, he had grown, and his hair was longer than it had been, but he kept himself clean and well-groomed. The mithral armor that had been gifted to him was worn safely under his cloak where it was protected from the elements. A giant maul hung from his back and a small wooden holy symbol was strung around his neck. His bags and cloak were a patchwork of different skins and furs, and his walking staff was still bright with the signs that it had been freshly carved. A run in with his own clumsiness had brought that about. But he was grateful to have found a solid and fairly straight dark wood branch to carve into a new staff and start curing when it had dried and he could find the proper resins. He was greeted inside the outermost gates by a young boy.

I challenge you! Give me your gold or give me your life!

The boy was barely an adolescent, his voice cracking as he shouted, and his hands shook as he held the hunting spear in a basic hunting stance. Thomas looked at the youth, remembering that same shout from his youth. One look at this lad and he knew that he was no killer. Game and the occasional wolf was one thing, as the hunting stance described, but to kill another human being was another matter. It took either insanity or irrepressible hatred to commit murder in cold blood. This boy needed guidance, but he also needed to learn of the dangers of such a threat.

A challenge, you say? Young lad, you best be careful who you challenge. Alright, I accept. But these challenges must be properly given to fulfill the honor and demands of the Courageous God, Torm. I accept your challenge to holy combat, may Torm find honor in our courageous combat.

William moved to a clearing and removed his traveling bags as well as his maul. He walked into the clearing with his staff, looking at the boy who was shaking a little more and staring at him in shock, not quite sure what to do, or what he had gotten himself into. The priest looked at the lad and approached him.

Son, what’s your name?

Jacob. Jacob Newsong.

Well, Jacob. It looks like you have had a tough life. I know about struggle. I know about feeling like you have nothing. Is this farm where you live? It’s nice. I grew up with far less than this. I learned how to find the simple joys in life. Joys like playing all day in the sunshine. The sounds of the birds. The crops that grow after a long season of work. Even the sounds of silence can be pleasant sometimes. I have learned that all of life is a struggle and Torm sees the honor in your courage to face the struggles of everyday life. But not like this. Not by stealing or killing. Find the strength within yourself, within your friends and family to continue your path with courage and honor. Now, if it is gold you need, I suggest we find a way to earn it.

It was that moment that a fox jumped in the nearby bushes. William nodded towards it and picked up his maul. The pelt would be worth a few coins to someone, and the meat would be good for either his family or a few more coins. Jacob knew what he meant. He had been hunting since he was big enough to throw rocks at rabbits. Together they slew the fox and dressed the carcass, so they could strip the meat and skin the animal later. While they worked, William spoke about his childhood, and how to make the most of what he had been blessed with. Over the next 2 years, William watched as Jacob grew up. He could see the growing anger in the boy and tried many times to talk to him about it, but Jacob would have no part of it. He eventually left home, much to the despair of his mother and the rest of the now growing church.

Back to the Present
Their worries would double shortly after that. Jacob gave into the darkness he had struggled against when he killed a young woman that lived across the town. The hatred and shadows grew as theft and violence became his routine. Jacob had spread fear throughout the town, and into the countryside. He became known throughout the region as the Black Terror. William still felt the anguish that he had somehow failed the lad and ventured through the region as often as he could, searching for him so that he might somehow mend the broken lad before his crimes caught up with him.
He came back to the present and his small band of devotees. He did not want any of them to follow in his path of destruction, nor did he want to leave them and have them believe him to be a coward and sow doubt about their God’s power. Torm had taught him about courage and sacrifice, but these people needed him!

The End?
They need me. Said a voice inside William’s head.

What? William thought to the voice.

William saw a vision in his head. A noble-looking warrior in gleaming armor appeared. The moment of confusion passed when the figure held up his right fist, covered in a snow-white gauntlet. It was Torm, in all his splendor.

They need me, my child. You have done well. Your humble childhood in the Gate Town taught you perseverance and to be content with little. In adolescence, you stood up against a bully. You stood up for an innocent woman against a deadly thief. It was then that I first started leading you along my path. It cost you a lot, and you have had that moment of killing in the defense of another twisted into murder by others. Your wandering days led you into a further understanding of true courage, and when you tried to offer your freedom for the lives of the dwarves in Slatefall, I knew that you were ready to preach my message. I led you through the north, showing you my path and teaching you how to lead others through word and deed in my name. All bringing you to this point. No life is too unimportant. Even now, this Captain has treachery in his heart. And this lady, mother of a murderer will use your example to lead the rest of my people in this city. She will even lead her son to the light and reveal that he has been possessed by a demon of the Goddess Talona. Your sacrifice today will be an example for them all.

William closed his eyes as a glow emanated from the holy symbol of Torm, a white gauntlet. His own right hand took on this glow, followed by the rest of his body. As his eyes opened, they glowed with power. A great warhammer appeared in his right hand, emblazoned with the same gauntlet symbol of Torm, but this one was blood red on a snow-white background. “Behold, the power and justice of Torm! Let it be known that my people have done nothing wrong here!” The man’s voice echoed through the great city, followed by the cries of the soldiers and their captain as the God cut them down, leaving the squire to witness the anger of the war God. William had the odd sensation of watching as his body cut down the soldiers. Silence fell as Torm’s power, and William’s body simply vanished like the setting sun. William was greeted with a great sense of calm in his spirit as his body was destroyed, the God’s power simply too much for his flesh and bones. He knew that Torm would look after his congregation. The passage from this life to the next was not one he had been ready for, but he trusted that Torm would guide him true. He approached the great passage between existences with all the courage he could muster, but there was still a shiver of fear in his spine for he did not know what lay on the other side of the light.

Last edited by Ed Starwind; 01-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.