RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3400
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
Against the Giants (Steading of the Hill Giant Chief)

Game name
Against the Giants (Steading of the Hill Giant Chief)

Game SystemD&D 5e

ThemeOld school high level dungeon crawl

FlavorGritty adventure

Plot SummaryGiants have been raiding the civilized lands of western Cormyr in bands, with giants of different sorts in these marauding group. Death and destruction have been laid heavily upon every place these monsters have visited. This has caused great anger in high places, for life and property loss means failure of the vows of noble rulers to protect the life and goods of each and every subject-and possible lean times for the rulers as well as the ruled . Therefore, a party of the bravest and most powerful adventurers has been assembled and given the charge to punish the miscreant giants.

Summoned by the KingIt was the last thing you expected. A summons from King Foril Obarskyr I, the elderly monarch of Cormyr. Never the less you answered his call. Arriving at the palace in the capital city of Suzail you along with a few others are ferried into one of the King's war rooms. Looking at the others in the room, you recognize some of them, mainly by reputation. Adventurers are a tight knit group, those with some renown are known far and wide among their peers.

As you are gathered around the King enters the room flanked by his chief war wizard and a General of the Purple Dragons. Not wasting any time the King informs you of the increased activity of giants in the Stormhorn mountains along the western border of Cormyr. He tasks you with investigating the activities of these giants.

King Foril clears his throat and speaks to the group gathered. "Our scouts have discovered an encampment of hill giants and they have told us about the beasts that reside there. Their chief, one Nosnra, is a grossly fat and thoroughly despicable creature, sly and vicious, loving ambush and backstabbing. Furthermore you are cautioned to expect a secret force, some motivational power behind this unusual banding of different races of giants. You can keep any and all loot you chance upon for your reward for the perils you are about to face. You are to follow any clues discovered if such point towards the sinister hand suspected of guiding the rising, but to return at once if you should determine exactly the reason or force behind the unholy alliance. Some relic of great evil might be at hand. Do this and you will have the gratitude of King."

Cormyr

About the moduleAgainst the Giants is an adventure module written by Gary Gygax and published by TSR in 1981 for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game. It combines the G series of modules previously published in 1978: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, and Hall of the Fire Giant King. All three were produced for use with the 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules.

In 2017, Wizards re-released Against the Giants updated to 5th Edition rules as part of the Tales from the Yawning Portal collection.
About the game Greetings everyone, the name is Dargos, I have been active here on the RPGcrossing for over two years now. This will be my third game DMing on the site. It is also my first "high level" game so there will be a learning curve so bear with me.

After a few quick introduction posts we will dive right into the adventure. This is a standard hack and slash dungeon crawl and there will not be a lot of RPing, unless you count parlaying with giants! We will start off with G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and if everything goes well we will continue the adventure into modules G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant JarlG2 and G3 Hall of the Fire Giant KingG3. We will be using the Yawning Portal version of the adventure.

Character CreationParty size: starting with 5-6 players
Level: Starting at level 11.
Level advancement: Milestone
Stats: 30 Point buy or non-standard array of 15,14,13,12,11,10
Hit points: max 1st level + average each level after
Races: PHB + Goliath(EE), Aasimar (Volos)
Books allowed: PHB, XGE, SCAG, Volo's, UA Ranger.
Starting at a higher levelI will be following the recommendations found in the Dungeon Masters Guide page 38 on starting at a higher level.
Money: 5,000gp + 1d10x25gp
Magic items: 3 uncommon magic items (not counting potions and scrolls), If you want to take a "named" item from an earlier adventure module you can. Just note it in the discription where it is located.1 rare item. *Subject to final DM approval of course
Consumables: You will be allowed to "buy" consumable potions and scrolls to round out your kit.
Starting equipment: standard for 1st level + any non magical arms and You want to change out that chain mail for full plate armor...go right ahead.armor and equipment from the PHB can be taken.

You do not need a completed character to apply, no rolling in this thread.

Applications
Picture: Enclose a picture with the application. I am a visual person and having a good solid picture gives me and the rest of the players what your vision of the character is (picture must have a face visible, no knights in full plate and visor down.)
Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment: Any good or neutral
Background: Any in the books allowed or may be customized using the rules in the PHB on pg. 124
History: Tell me a bit about where your character came from, what motivates them (traits, bond, ideal, flaw) etc. Keep it on the shorter side please, 3-4 paragraphs at the most.
Roleplay Sample:Keep it short and simple 3-4 paragraphs at the most, just so I have an idea that you can put a couple of sentences together.
extrasWhy were you chosen by the king?: Explain why you were summoned to the court of the current king of Cormyr. Are you a noble? A knight? A war wizard? Famous adventurer?
Rare Magic item: Tell us in ether your history or roleplay sample how you came about your epic magic item. A gift? Killed a dragon? Slayed a death knight in single combat? Bonus if you flesh out the magic item using DMG pages 142-143
Stronghold: By level 11 it is expected that you have settled down somewhat and you are not a homeless 1st level character (maybe you are homeless). Where have you planted your roots? A small keep with lands? Mage tower? Library? Druid's grove? Your own bar, blacksmith shop? Temple?
Prior relationships: Prior relationships with other characters can be worked out eventually.

Application deadlineApplications are due by January 13th @ 6:00PM EST

Applicants
Player Character Race Class Status
Numen Wraith Ethon Tiefling Warlock Complete
Seekr34 Gauther Thuliaga Goliath Fighter Complete
Lazer Sola Norcrest Variant Human Fighter (Cavalier) Complete
Mrjoegangles Galen Kendrick human Fighter(2), Wizard (9) Complete
AlphaZ Treggor Mynth Human Rogue 6 + Barbarian 5 dip Complete
ElvenMaiden Talaira Graytalon Wood Elf Druid Complete
MIniSchnauzer Ser Bryan duBois-Gilbert Human (Variant) Paladin-1/Warlock(Celestial)-10 Complete
RainyDayNinja Kelias Half-Elf Paladin 7/Bard 4 Complete
Bigbywolfe Durrant Dwarf Fighter Complete
DialPforPickles Shiver LaVerve Tiefling Draconic Sorcerer 8/Lore Bard 3 Complete
GallupsMirror Tsung Szoyotsoz Human (Variant) Wizard Complete
Drachenspirit Shaundri Greycastle Human Sorceress - Favored One Withdrawn
UngainlyFool Torstrim Velkeni Human (Variant) Monk9/Warlock2 Complete
Phil Vaeloran Wood Elf Ranger 8/Rogue 3 Complete
tomplum Snaebrak Goliath Tempest Cleric Complete
VaultDweller Wilmorn Half-Elf Rogue(Scout Archtype) Complete
Tinuviel Lean-Tongue "Duke" Dayukk'duk Half-Orc Fighter (Eldritch Knight) Complete
Tyeal Jordas Brandywen Human Cleric (Death) Complete
Inuvash255 Hank N. Helm Human Fighter WIP

Questions and updatesQ: What sort of player posting rate are you looking for?
A: Looking at 1-2 DM posts a week.

Q: Can I use 3rd party sources?
A: Sorry, but no. Official wizards books only.

Last edited by Dargos; 01-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3195
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Application
Picture:
right-aligned image

Name: Ethon Aubriel Mortise Jointhammer of Marshisle Towers
Race: Human
Class:

Alignment: NG
Background: SCAG - 146Courtier
History:

Ethon Aubriel Mortise was born to a fine, but self-built family in Marsember. His father, Elquin, had continued his father's improvements on the furniture shop founded by grandfather Lignus Jointhammer. His mother, Estinence, was a shrewd negotiator that had gotten their wares moved into the best shops, and thus the loftiest homes. It had been her idea to leave a blank space on many pieces where custom plates could be installed displaying coats of arms, business trademarks, or any other custom symbol the buyer may wish. The demand for production allowed them to expand their shop into an empty warehouse where Elquin employed many furniture makers.

The fortune they made in the market soon made sure that they were fixtures at any social gathering. His mother's genius skills at manipulation ensured that Ethon was betrothed to a noble woman. Through subterfuge and cunning, she found a long-titled family whose coffers were empty and offered to meld the two. The marriage was arranged, and things seemed to be going well. Christiana Marshdove, his bride, had a keen mind for business and soon was attached to Estinence at the hip. The two were constantly off making plans and arranging shipments. Ethon was relieved; such things were but a bore to him. He had always loved visiting the workshop, but actually moving the product wasn't something he enjoyed.

As time went on, it became clear to Christiana and Ethon both that the marriage was great financially, (she ensured the money kept rolling in, and he gave her the business with which to do so), but that they had no real emotional bond to each other. They grew an amiable friendship, but soon everyone about town knew they were both having affairs on the side. Ethon took the opportunity provided by self-sustaining fortune to take up a life of adventure.

He established a career hunting for mysterious objects and battling monsters. He became quite well-known across Cormyr and beyond as a man who could complete tasks most others couldn't. In the interest of brevity, this glosses over forming a pact and fulfilling the terms

More on this in Roleplay Example and Epic Magic Item
Soon he was seen with a Sprite following him around. The two seemed to bicker quite often in the early days, but over the years they seemed to mellow into a friendly pair. A large part of this seemed to be Ethon's doing. A tension in him seemed eased, though no one could explain it.

extrasWhy were you chosen by the king?:
Ethon doesn't have a direct line to the king, but he's well known amongst the nobles of Marsember. He's made quite a reputation for himself, and while fighting legions of monsters isn't his specialty, it often comes as part of item retrieval.
Magic Items
Epic Magic item
While holding this rod, you gain a bonus to spell attack roles and to the saving throw DC of your warlock spells. The bonus is determined by the rod's rarity (+2 for rare)

In addition, you can regain one warlock spell slot as an action while holding the rod. You can't use this property again until you finish a long rest.

DMG-197
Rod of the Pact Keeper

Uncommon Items
You can use a bonus action to speak the staff's command word and make the head of the staff become that of an animate poisonous snake for 1 minute. By using another bonus action to speak the command word again, you return the staff to its normal inanimate form.

You can make a melee attack using the snake head, which has a reach of 5 feet. Your proficiency bonus applies to the attack roll. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 piercing damage and must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 3d6 poison damage.

The snake head can be attacked while it is animate. It has an Armor Class of 15 and 20 hit points. If the head drops to 0 hit points, the staff is destroyed. As long as it's not destroyed, the staff regains all lost hit points when it reverts to its animate form.

DMG - 204
Staff of the Adder
You can use an action to speak this staff's command word and throw the staff on the ground within 10 feet of you. The staff becomes a giant constrictor snake under your control and acts on its own initiative count. By using a bonus action to speak the command word again, you return the staff to its normal form in a space formerly occupied by the snake.

On your turn, you can mentally command the snake if it is within 60 feet of you and you aren't incapacitated. You decide what action the snake takes and where it moves during its next turn, or you can issue it a general command, such as to attack your enemies or guard a location.

If the snake is reduced to 0 hit points, it dies and reverts to its staff form. The staff then shatters and is destroyed. If the snake reverts to staff form before losing all its hit points, it regains all of them.

DMG - 203
Staff of the Python
While wearing this ring, you are immune to magic that allows other creatures to read your thoughts, determine whether you are lying, know your alignment, or know your creature type. Creatures can telepathically communicate with you only if you allow it.

You can use an action to cause the ring to become invisible until you use another action to make it visible, until you remove the ring, or until you die.

If you die while wearing the ring, your soul enters it, unless it already houses a soul. You can remain in the ring or depart for the afterlife. As long as your soul is in the ring, you can telepathically communicate with any creature wearing it. A wearer can't prevent this telepathic communication.

DMG -197
Rind of Mind Shielding

Stronghold: Having moved most of his familial life to Marshisle Towers, his parents' estate at Dovetail Spire stands mostly empty. Ethon uses the manse for solitude, trophies, and meetings. He keeps a small dedicated staff on hand for to keep his clients comfortable.

Prior relationships: Prior relationships with other characters can be worked out eventually.

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 01-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 AM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4058
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Good luck with your game.
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 01-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
[IMG][/IMG]
Name: Gauther Thuliaga
Race: Goliath
Class: Fighter
Alignment: NG
Background: Inheritor
Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not.
Bond: I wish my childhood sweetheart had come with me to pursue my destiny.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
Roleplay: (from another game) Eyes open, blinking, seeing the sun rays thru the trees, he is confused. He stays still not knowing where he is or what happened. He then hear voices. He hears the name Corianne, he remembers her. He then realize that he is flat on his back and memories slowly comes to him. Soldiers being attacked, but not by each other, some 3rd army joined in the fray, attacking both Orinshire and Vallenfall soldiers.

he slowly sits up and unable to stiffen a groan. He turns his head, whipping it around fast, then a crack at the neck and he sighs, feeling better now. He looks around, seeing Captain Corianne. He then sees a gnome girl, then an half-elf, the way he is armored, similar to the captain, must be another paladin. He slowly gets up, his maul beside him, he uses it like a staff to lift himself up to his feet. He stretches and looks down at two others not awake yet. He recognize the drow, wondering what's he doing here. He then sees a half-orc. He looks around, seeing no one else around or moving.

"What the hell happened?" he rubs his head and shakes the cow webs out. He leans on the maul for support as he regains his bearings...

Gauther shakes his head, bad enough he was confused about the battle, but now everyone talking at once, giving him a headache. He sighs heavily. Looking around, there was only one way to get everyone's attention. He sees a small boulder and walks to it and raises his maul with a grin and slams against the boulder (like a ballplayer swinging a bat for a home run). When the loud crack got everyone's attention, he put the maul down and looked at the others slowly as he spoke.

"Now, seems we're all in the same situation. There was word of a 3rd party getting involved. If the rumors of it was true, it was said they were behind the scenes as Orinshire and Vallenfall fought each other, urging us on. Now I don't proclaim myself highly intelligent, but with what we all experienced, I have a feeling that there really is a 3rd country. If that is so, then somehow, we are all going to need to trust each other and work together."

As he looks, he inwardly sighs, a drow...who the hell can trust a drow? Half-Orc as well, well known for being short tempered. Still confused by the Fire Genasi calling himself blue when he is orange. He'll just let Captain Raz figure it out. She is pretty smart, otherwise she wouldn't be a captain.

Why were you chosen by the king?: Living high up in the mountain of Thunder Peaks, close to Cormyr, the King had heard stories of Gauther and that his people were enemies of the Hill Giants, so the King had sent for him.

Stronghold: Owned a tavern for awhile, then grew tired of it and went back to his people, even if he can't change their ways, he has family there.

Last edited by Seekr34; 01-06-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Just curious, before I go further with my character, do you by chance have the 5e book called "The Fighter Folio"?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:59 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 489
Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe
Definitely interested. Will try to get an application in the next day or two.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Just curious, before I go further with my character, do you by chance have the 5e book called "The Fighter Folio"?
I do not. Is it something from DMguild? Considering this is a high level adventure I don't want to introduce 3rd party builds into it.

Last edited by Dargos; 01-04-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallupsMirror View Post
Posting interest.

What sort of player posting rate are you looking for?
Looking at 1-2 DM posts a week.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 918
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Application - Variant Human Cavalier
right-aligned image
Name: Sola Norcrest
Race: Variant Human
Class: Fighter (Cavalier)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Soldier
Personality Traits: I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
I’ve lost too many friends, and I’m slow to make new ones.
Ideal: Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others. (Good)
Bond: My honor is my life.
Flaw: My family give me something to live for, which makes it hard to do what I have to in battle.
Description: Standing at 6’1”, Sola is taller than most men. Many tall women find themselves stooping, hunching or finding any way they can to make themselves seem smaller, but not Sola, she stand proud and tall at all times. She has let her auburn hair grow long, but habitually keeps it tied up in a practical bun.

Sola has become used to wearing armor or practical, hard-wearing clothing, but she relishes those times when she has a good excuse to wear a nice, light dress and to. literally, let her hair down. At those times she will wear jewellery, in particular the sapphire necklace which her husband gave to her as a birthday present, which she thinks accentuates her blue eyes.

History: Originally from Quaervarr, a small logging town in the Moonwood, Sola’s parents were both loggers, an occupation which kept them strong and healthy. Sola grew up swinging an axe, but she always dreamed of glory and never let go of her childish ambition to become a soldier. So it was that by her seventeenth year her parents bade her farewell and put her on a cart bound for Silverymoon, where they had arranged for her to volunteer as a Knight in Silver, who at the time were recruiting aggressively. The recruiter noted her height and her strength and, despite the few family connections that she had in the city, allowed her to join the organisation.

Sola proved to be a dedicated and serious student, and she threw herself into the training with great gusto, becoming a strong and reliable warrior. She served admirably during her five year tour and was ready to take another tour, but fate chose otherwise; she had been on her way back to visit her parents when a group of orcs attacked the inn she was staying at. She, along with a small band of others, managed to fend them off and in so doing found that they fought well together. Sola prayed to Torm to reveal where her duty lay, and in so doing realised that she could do more to promote justice by travelling the world as an adventurer than she ever could as just one of many in the Knighthood.

She embarked on many adventures where she constantly put her own life on the line to protect her friends, or just those in the wrong place at the wrong time. She relied on her strength, her armour and her courage to save her but was always realistic that someday those things would not be enough.

In time Sola fell in love with a man called Ardeth Norcrest, a renowned jeweller from Silverymoon. They married and had two children, Tyra and Sam, and Sola could not be happier with the way her life had turned out. Except that now she was starting to find it increasingly difficult to put herself in harm’s way for fear that her children would lose their mother.

ExtrasWhy were you chosen by the king? Sola is a famous adventurer, and managed to slay several giants in her most recent mission. She would be an obvious choice for the king.
Epic magic item: While you wear this cloak, it projects an Illusion that makes you appear to be standing in a place near your actual location, causing any creature to have disadvantage on Attack rolls against you. If you take damage, the property ceases to function until the start of your next turn. This property is suppressed while you are Incapacitated, Restrained, or otherwise unable to move.Cloak of Displacement - Rumored to have come from the old city of Myth Drannor, this cloak was lost over the centuries only to re-emerge in Silverymoon, as part of Alustriel Silverhand's hoard. This and other items were granted to the city, which later gifted it to Sola to protect her on her adventures.
Stronghold: Sola keeps a townhouse in Silverymoon, just to the north of Silverglen. Her husband, Ardeth, has his jewellery workshop in the basement and the family use the remaining three floors.

Last edited by Lazer; 01-06-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 AM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7520
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
As there are several newer site members submitting for this game, I am withdrawing my app so as not to compete with any of them.

Good luck all!

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 01-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1185
Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon
Also posting interest
Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7520
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
This post can be deleted.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 01-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 531
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
App to come

Interested!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 134
VaultDweller VaultDweller
Posting for interest. I'll have something up this weekend. Sounds like fun!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 329
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles

Name: Galen Kendrick
Race: Vuman
Classes Fighter(2), Wizard (9)
Alignment: Neutral (Formerly lawful good)
Background: Folk Hero
History: Gather ‘round men hear the tale of Galen Kendrick: Dragonslayer, Foe-render, King-Killer. It was nigh on 30 years ago that a young Galen came to our shores, a snot nosed brat with an eye for glory. A noble band of adventures he did join and many an epic tale was woven from their deeds. Monsters slain, Tyrants vanquished, even the Demons did weep as he and his merry band did roam our countryside as true and noble heroes, and happily ever after were we all the bards say.
But what came after the tales were written, the ballads composed, and the songs sung? Perhaps in the stories young Galen and his friends retired to the countryside, or opened a bar, and slowly their legend faded as time went on. Or perhaps there was no happy ending, no final sweet song to sing. What if I told you that the drunk in the corner, the unkempt, overweight, and jaundiced man was the Galen of Legend. It’s hard to see it? A noble hero underneath the grim, and the stench of stale wine. Look at the way his once broad shoulders are hunched over as he slowly works his way through the old tome in front of him. You can see his lips move as he sounds out the words, finger slowly traveling across the worn, burned out pages of the scarred, iron-bound book.
It’s all he has left you see. Every friend, ally, and boon companion of his youth is gone. A lucky few to accidents and old age, but most payed the price of adventuring, and the greatest toll belonged to the lone survivor. For near on a score of years has he sat in this bar, transfixed by the spellbook of a long dead friend. His mighty muscles have atrophied, his legendary physique nowhere to be found, his skills and fortune dwindling. But slowly he has fought his way through the tome, and with the same dogged perseverance of his youth he has mastered the arcane arts. Dead and buried is the legendary hero he was in his youth, but perhaps another kind of hero still remains.

RP Example
The Whistling Dragon was busy, but what else was new. A crowd lined the bar where poor Jonas juggled mug after mug of their cheap house brew. Lydia danced her way through the crowded tables, avoiding stray legs and wandering hands alike, a tray of tall steins foaming over with froth.
”A poor pour” Galen thought, chuckling out loud at what he found to be a clever turn of phrase. His mirth quickly silenced as a hooded figure walked up and cast a shadow upon his table. “You are in my reading light friend.” Galen warned the uninvited guest. Though he spoke in only a whisper the Dragon quickly hushed as regulars stared at the tall figure who would dare interrupt a legend.
“Y-you are Galen Kendrick aren’t you?” the boy asked as he pulled back his hood, “THE Galen?” Tall and lanky the sharp dressed youth would be considered handsome by some, Galen thought, as soon as he shaved the few errant hairs on his chin. ”A Beard?” Though to be fair at his age Galen had already been through enough scrapes to be considered a man, his reputation already growing, and his beard had been no better.
”Perhaps once boy, why do you disturb me?” As Galen gestured around him the young man realized for the first time that the tavern, while packed to overflowing, was empty in the corner where they now talked. Suppressing a gulp the lad steeled himself and pulled from his cloak a pure white envelope, sealed in gold. “A royal message sir..... From the hand of the King himself!” The courier squeaked at the last part.

Character Concept: You slayed the dragon, wooed the Princess, vanquished the Dark One, and then what? Imagine you are, or rather were a 20th level warrior and had lost everything. Your party dead, your quest finished, your ambitions fulfilled, your purpose gone. Galen is a hero is yester-year, and 20 years of sitting on a barstool will cost you a level or ten, and say bye bye to that 20str. Fortunately for him not all is lost, sitting on that stool gave him plenty of time to read, and his best friend Drunnis had quite the spellbook (before that Dracolich burned half of it away). Sure Galen isn’t quite an archmage, but not bad for a man who started his arcane journey self-taught in his 30s. And while he isn’t the Warrior of Legend he once was, there is still some fighters instinct, and a fair bit of focus behind the bloodshot eyes and strength in his arthritic hands. Better to die a hero, than fade away in a bar.

Why was I chosen: “Perhaps you didn’t hear me. I am THE Galen.”
Items and how I got them: Besides his old armor and weapons, Galen keeps a variety of scrolls on his person at all times. His prized magical items however are his immovable rod; Of Gnomish design it looks like nothing more than an old, rusted, iron collapsible tube that when spun on the ground always points north. A cloak of protection; Gifted to him by the elves for services rendered, this lightweight brown cloak seems to be made of a malleable bark, with a soft layer of moss giving it a green tinge. And the prize a dull lump of ashen grey stone, hanging on his neck from an old leather cord. An amulet of health, it’s origins seemingly fey; when not worn the item reveals its true form, one of unrivaled beauty and wealth, electrum and gold weave throughout the amazing necklace, it’s chain the purest platinum, and at its center a Diamond the size of a Halfling fist. While only a curiosity when first discovered 20 years past, Galen has taken to wearing the amulet at all times to counteract the effects of aging and poor drinking habits.
Attached to his hip is his best friends old spellbook. A giant tome of leather and bound with iron straps. The leather cover is scarred heavily and one corner looks to be bitten off entirely. Scorch marks make most of the book illegible but Galen has been able to use it as an arcane primary and teach himself a few spells. Galen’s spellbook, however is hidden on the inside of his shield, each spell carefully etched in acid.

Stronghold: A small tavern in a mostly forgotten village, The Whistling Dragon is where Master Kendrick makes his home. Hidden in the attic among torn sheets and old bedding is an old cot, a locked chest, and a small table with a collection of books precariously stacked.

Rest to be determined

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 01-06-2019 at 11:12 AM.