RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1403
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
The Super Interns

Game NameThe Super Interns
Game SystemMutants and Masterminds 3e
ThemeNew superheroes. Fresh out of college.
FlavourSerious, occasionally dark superhero RPG, with a dash of realism
Plot Summary
In a world filled with people with superpowers, you've established yourself as a cut above the rest. Following four years of training in the Hero Certification Program -- a college course intended to separate the wheat from the chaff and induct the best Supers the world has to offer into the world of Heroes -- you've finally graduated, chosen your hero name, and you're ready to start defending the world.

...Almost.

There is one last obstacle in your way before you can officially act as a legitimate protector of the common man. You have to work under an established Hero, and get some real on the job training. You've put your name out there, and while you go through your last few weeks leading up to graduation, with the hopes of being one of the few in your class to actually graduate, several established heroes are already weighing whether or not you'd be a good fit to work under them for the next few years to get the experience you need to be a successful hero.

---------

We'll be using M&M 3e for this game. The world you'll all be playing in is based on the world of Drew Hayes' Super Powereds series of books. While you wont need to have read the books to understand the way the world operates, it may still be a good idea to read one or two, or listen to the audiobooks to get a feel for the game I'm hoping to run as a whole.

For those of you who are familiar with the series, I'm planning to draw certain important figures and major locations from the books, but most of the heroes, supers, events, etc that you'll encounter in the game will be original creations.

------

I'm intending to keep things going at a rate of about 3-5 posts per week. Sometimes more, as needed, sometimes less.

If you're interested in playing a hero in the game, here's what you need to know... Players will start at PL7 -- BUT, you'll be given 150 PP to create your character, allowing you to expand your abilities, to encourage you to avoid being a one-trick pony.

All characters will be expected to be born on Earth. If you really want to play something that is not a human from earth, PM me first to get concept approval.

I am only accepting 4 players -- much more than that would drive me crazy trying to keep up.

As for what I need from you, fill out this application and post it below to be considered for the game...

ApplicationName: Self explanatory. What is your character's full legal name? Also, what is their chosen codename?

Power: What is your character's power? Powers are always unique to their user. No two people will have the same abilities, even if they are very similar. How is your power unique, when compared to those of another Super?

Background: Where were you born? Who were your parents? Why did you want to become a hero? Use this section to tell me the story of who your character is, and what they've accomplished to get to where they are now.

Description: Give me a written description of your character. Pictures are nice, but are not required. An actual written description, however, is mandatory.

Personality: What is your character like in everyday life? Do they have any hobbies? What do they like? What do they hate? When they aren't acting in a hero capacity, what sort of things do they do? What sort of people do they get along with?

Roleplay Sample: Give me an RP sample that showcases your average post. Don't try to wow me with the best post you've ever done, give me what you think is your average effort.

Actual character sheets are not required at this point -- but you're free to make them if you want.

Feel free to add other sections to your application. The more thought you appear to have put into your character, the better. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to these sections if you have more you want to share.

This post is a work in progress. More information will be coming as required

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 689
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Oooh! Interesting!
I'll apply, just need to play around with concepts to see what I will build. I've never read Super Powereds at all, is it easy to get ahold of?

What kind of 'origins' are the most acceptable for me to use? I'll gladly tailor it to your game.
Character ApplicationName: Evan Esk, A.K.A. SPLIT SECOND

Power: Time Manipulation. Evan's powers are an intuition-controlled form of time dilation and expansion, where he can slow down or speed up the relative time of himself and things around him for a short distance (about 30 feet or so). His natural exploration of his time abilities has led him to think there are several near-perfect parallel timelines since he seems to accidentally get certain details wrong in passing.
Whatever his powers may be, many people confuse him for a speedster of some sort because of his name and tendency to travel great distances 'instantly' (in reality, accelerating his relative time and walking to a new location).

Background: Grown up in a happy family, Evan was raised to believe that doing good was something you did when you were better off than your fellow man. Now that he has powers (and some modicum of control over them) he now seeks to use them to help people. His parents are both still alive, happily married, and living somewhere in Portland, though his busy life has left him distant, to say the least.

He has no siblings, a few cousins, and once had a pet dog, Trigger. Trigger has been dead for years. Yes, he has considered trying to use his powers to rewind the dog until it came back to life. No, he won't ever actually do it. (Mostly that he doesn't want to watch the dog die again, and also partly because he doesn't know if he can rewind something that 'far back')

Education: Evan attended the Lander University, as it was closest to his family's home.

Description: Evan is a lean man just over 6'1" tall. He wears old fashioned clothing on his casual time (he's an avid thrift store shopper, since he never seems to get 'current fashion' right). He has tan skin, dark hair, and expressive golden brown eyes. He is fit but not remarkably so. He wears glasses for the look, not because he needs them. He never seems to need to shave, despite long hours on the job.

His hero persona, SPLIT SECOND, is a different matter. He wears a brightly colored sky blue long coat, with an elaborate clock embroidered on the back in gold colored thread (the clock is stitched so it looks like the minute and hour hands are streaking while spinning in circles). Other embellishments are embroidered in the same gold thread at his shoulders, collar, cuffs, and the tail of the coat. He has a simple-looking black skintight suit underneath and blue-paneled boots. The suit is armored with STF-treated ballistic fibers. His glasses are traded for a black mask.

Personality: Evan is a naturally positive personality, easy to smile and wanting to do well by people. He even treats any villains with the same upbeat personality and willingness to let them surrender before they get down to business. He's not an idiot; he just feels that it would be better if he could guide criminals onto a more positive path. That and he doesn't like getting hurt, and would like to avoid it if possible, but is willing to get into a fight if he feels it's necessary.

Roleplay Sample Split Second sat in a corner street cafe, watching the street, his foot kicking lazily as he leaned back and surveyed the area. He wasn't sure what he was looking for, but it was a good place to start. He adjusted his mask, glanced at the lady sitting next to him, and winked.
"Don't worry." he assured the old woman who hung frozen in time, with a spoon halfway to her mouth but her eyes fixated on something through the window next to her. Across from her was an old man trying his best to gum toast. There were two tired waitresses, a cook, and five other patrons scattered throughout the diner. No robbers, no other trouble here. Frowning, he turned to look out the window.
"Oh." Split Second murmured, his eyes widening. "That's... something."
Split Second popped up from his seat, smiled at the waitress who was as still as a statue in mid-stride, and then slipped through the diner's door.
Outside, he took a look around, whistling. A car was hovering, wheels a few inches off the pavement. It had gone out of control, rocketing through traffic and was hurtling towards the diner. The driver was suspended in midair, having flung himself from the car with his arms wrapped around his head. As Split Second walked around to the side of the car, time seemed to catch up with him.
An instant later the car rocketed past him, ruffling his coat and causing him to flinch as glass and concrete shattered. the remains of the car must have plowed into a gas line, because almost before the sound had died the diner exploded into a searing ball of fire.
Split Second flailed back from the blast, and fell on his ass. He landed in the present moment, the sounds of traffic and pedestrian traffic returning to him. What didn't immediately return to him was the exploding diner. Instead, he found himself sitting back against a free newspaper dispenser across the street from the diner he had just seen.
He scrambled to his feet, checking to make sure he was in costume. He was, so he checked the traffic before jogging across the street to duck into the diner. The old lady and her partner were seated at their spot, but hadn't been served their food yet. Looking around, he noticed a few people that were different than they had been in the vision he just had.
"Was it... wrong?" he asked himself.
A waitress with a tray containing a bowl of soup approached him. "Oh, hello! Need a bite before you stop the next big crime?"
Split Second watched her deliver the bowl of soup and a side order of toast to the table with the old couple.
Looking out the window, he could hear horns blaring in the distance.
"Well... ****." he cursed. "Nobody lives upstairs, right?" he asked.

StatblockSplit Second (Evan Esk) - PL 7

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Presence -2

Advantages
Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Urban, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative 4, Instant Up, Languages 2, Luck 3, Quick Draw, Speed of Thought

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 2 (+2), Close Combat: Punch Multiplication: Strength-based Damage 7 2 (+7/+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Expertise: Superheroes 2 (+6), Expertise: Supervillains 2 (+6), Expertise: Video Games 2 (+6), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+13/+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+4), Stealth 4 (+6), Technology 2 (+6)

Powers
Armored Supersuit: Protection 5 (Removable, technological, +5 Toughness; Impervious)
Be Kind: Rewind: Healing 7 (Persistent, Resurrection, Stabilize; Distracting)
Cheat the System: Senses 8 (time, Postcognition, Precognition; Uncontrolled)
Chronal Awareness: Senses 4 (time, Awareness: Time, Rapid: Sight 2, Time Sense)
Chronomancer's Benefits: Feature 1 (time, Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Urban, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative 4, Instant Up, Luck 3, Quick Draw, Speed of Thought)
Combat Precognition: Enhanced Trait 14 (time, Dodge +5 (+7), Parry +5 (+7), Close Combat +3 (+7), Perception +5 (+13))
Punch Multiplication: Strength-based Damage 7 (time, DC 22; Dangerous 4, Penetrating 4)
Static Reference: Immunity 3 (time, Aging, Uncommon Descriptor: Time)
T-Step: Teleport 7 (time, 0.5 miles in a move action, carrying 200 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 2; Limited: Only places he could get to normally)
Trajectory Reversion: Deflect 5 (time; Redirection, Reflect; Check Required 7: DC 16 - Close Combat)

Offense
Initiative +20
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Punch Multiplication: Strength-based Damage 7, +7 (DC 22, crit 16-20)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 15)

Complications
Motivation: Acceptance: Evan wants to be accepted as a real hero in society. He has worked hard so far to make it as he has, but wants really badly to do well for his mentorship.
Quirk: Parallel realities: Split second's powers make him see multiple realities at the same time, and he constantly gets little inconsequential details wrong, such as the weather forecast for the day, or what actors are starring in movies, or the name of some day to day faces he encouters that aren't other heroes.

Languages
English, French, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 7/2, Parry 7/2, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 99 + Advantages 2 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 150

Last edited by Runetide; 01-07-2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Adding School in history.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Alright, I'm interested but have no idea what I'm doing with character-creation, so an application may take a while.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4261
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Hey HP. I'll take a look at the books and see if anything pops at me.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12548
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Posting interest, and though I haven't read the books, I have read up on them a bit. Could you do a brief synopsis on a few of the major points though? For instance, how does the world at large view supers? What are the source of super powers? How does technology compare to the real world? Things like that.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
Posting interest, and though I haven't read the books, I have read up on them a bit. Could you do a brief synopsis on a few of the major points though? For instance, how does the world at large view supers? What are the source of super powers? How does technology compare to the real world? Things like that.
For the most part, the world views supers with a certain level of respect and fear. Supers have been around since the latter half of WW2, with the first confirmed Super being Captain Starlight, who later went on to help found the Hero Certification Program (HCP) used today to train up new supers into Heroes. That being said, Supers are seen as a fact of life in the world. The world knows about them, and while there are always going to be those who view them with jealousy, suspicion, and maybe even fear, most people have accepted that they're not going anywhere.

The exact origin of superpowers isn't well known. With only 80 years of research into the subject, the best researchers have publicly come up with is that super powers are genetic, and don't appear to come from some outside force. They usually manifests around puberty, but sometimes take shape beforehand, as is the case with many powereds. A Super couple who has children, will usually give birth to another super, with only rare instances resulting in human or powered offspring. However, supers can also be born from completely powerless human families.

The tech level of the world is much the same as you might expect for the real world. The most notable exception are inventions created by tech-based supers, which are closer to something you might find in science fiction, but aren't widely available for the general public to own or use. Most high-tech equipment is used exclusively by heroes, or within the HCP training facilities.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1880
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
definite interest
Old 01-06-2019, 02:21 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15037
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Definitely interested, but I have to admit that I never even heard of that series before now. So if you got anything you want us to know before hand might be a good idea to give the nutshell version.

Edit:= And it looks like you did before I finished that. Heh.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; 01-06-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 489
Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe
Do we need a completed character to apply? I have a concept and can answer your questions but it will be a few days before I can dig out my book and build a character.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbywolfe View Post
Do we need a completed character to apply? I have a concept and can answer your questions but it will be a few days before I can dig out my book and build a character.
No, you don't have to complete a character sheet until after you're accepted.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10799
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
The Superpowereds series has all been turned into audiobooks if anyone wnats to chase them down. More than a hundred hours of it.

Interest. The biggest issue I am having is that most of the powers I might want were already in the series.

Current idea is a Corpie who decided to go Hero and went back for retraining. An earth manipulator whose job was to reinforce buildings and move cars around during emergencies decides to use his powers in a more active way after a villain comes back and kills half his team.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridain View Post
The Superpowereds series has all been turned into audiobooks if anyone wnats to chase them down. More than a hundred hours of it.

Interest. The biggest issue I am having is that most of the powers I might want were already in the series.

Current idea is a Corpie who decided to go Hero and went back for retraining. An earth manipulator whose job was to reinforce buildings and move cars around during emergencies decides to use his powers in a more active way after a villain comes back and kills half his team.
Definitely a concept that's doable.

Also, you can make use of a very similar power to what you might have seen in the books. Just alter it a bit to make it unique to your character and it's not a problem at all. A couple of the heroes that will be working with the players are very similar, conceptually, to a couple of characters from the books... But they're different enough that it doesn't matter.

For those who aren't aware: Corpies is the colloquial term given to Supers who don't become heroes, but are recruited by corporations to go out and save people, while providing a form of advertising for said corporation. Corpies can't legally engage in combat with villains or an army of machines invading the city, but they can use their powers to assist first responders in emergency situations, albeit in a limited capacity.

Non-hero supers are legally restricted from using their powers to stop criminals. Some leniency is allowed for self-defense, but doing so can be a legal 'gray area' and it's usually safer for Supers to get away from the situation rather than attempt to fight back. For the record, the only Supers who can fight crime are Heroes. Any other super, or powered, is probably going to be labeled a criminal if they try.

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-06-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Added a section in the main post about what schools have an HCP program. Choose one of those schools to have come from... if any other players come from the same school, it might be a good idea to work out some backstory between the two of you. Definitely couldn't hurt your chances of getting selected. HCP senior classes are extremely small. It's unlikely that you'd have gone 4 years without ever having met if you went to the same school.

There is also a link to the Super Powereds wiki -- feel free to look it over at your own leisure to get a feel for the world. Not all characters mentioned in the wiki will exist in game... But if and when one does appear in game, I'll include a link to their wiki so you can have some basic information about them.

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-06-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15037
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Had a thought or two, kind of wondering what schools in the UK also have this sort of program.

The short version is that I'm leaning a British Matter Transmuter, mostly doing the internship in the US because his powers are strange even by Super/Hero standards.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Ordinarily, I'd say it can't be done. In the source material, one cannot go through college in one country and then do their internship in another country, due to the differences in the standards for heroes in each country.

I can change that rule, certainly... but I'd ultimately prefer that said British Matter Transmuter attend college in the US of he intends to be a US based hero... perhaps he couldn't get through the British HCP, or had to pull out after some sort of emergency that brought him to the US, where he went into training there instead.

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.