RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3505
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Desolate Paradise

Game NameDesolate Paradise

Game SystemPathfinder

ThemeIndianna jones, western vibes, criminal wars, possibly some pirate things later on and a bit sandbox-y

FlavourArcheologizing a newly derelict continent to try and determine a why it's just recently been deserted

Plot summaryThalysfera used to be a gigantic continent brimming with life and the very pinnacle of magical theory. So much so that any self-respecting wizarding guild had at least got a ward exclusively for scrying on the continent to learn from the masters second hand. Any sprarse relics originating from the island were sold for piles of gold pieces in an attempt to bolster the connection to the island. Not that that meant much new discoveries, the continent was protected by layer upon layer of protective enchantments against the magics used to pry loose their secrets. Wizards brave or foolish enough to try and divine the Thalysferan secrets usually got away with the humiliation of failure, and determination or subbornness was punished by taking the mage's sight.

That is, until some thirteen years ago. It was the Pramori warlocks guild "The Grey Sea Circle", who first came out with a detailed report on the landscape and maps of its many ravines, jungles and rivers. One by one they started to lose their vision. This did little to inspire adventurers initially, but over the years this important news faded into the background of everyones minds. The many covens and circles continued to magically investigate the continent, though they found none of the arcane treasures they'd hoped. One by one they gave up, content to keep their sight.

It was a band of pirates, who changed Thalysfera's status, inspired by might and greed and glory they sailed for the jagged cliffs of the lost continent. Half of the initial crew returned to port, selling the sparse treasures they could find: rough sketches on tree bark, carved talismans made from stones and bones and faded vellum. Nothing of use, and it didn't help with divinations. Dissapointed, but newly inspired the Pramori guild once more started investigations. This time using the city's large riches to fund an expedition force. The fleet, composed of pirates, Pramori navy and Grey Sea warlocks quickly made its way over to the continent, though they were not the first.

By the time the fleet arrived a large chunk was taken by the treacherous waters, pirates and competing fleets. The ships that arrived found the land to be much more of the same. Criminals used the island to escape punishment, Peasants used it to start anew, slaves fled here to their freedom, discredited nobles and explorers sought to claim it and competition between mages guilds is most lethal of all. A melting jar of cultures and status gave way to a new system of peace: Gangs. The island is riddled with them and most occupants rely on them for protection. If you're not associated with a gang you'd best learn to hunt, share food, play nice and never be more than an arms length away from your weapons.

About meIf, for some strange reason you've looked past my title and signature and still want to join you'll find that I've largely got no clue what I'm doing. I've DM'd before in NPSGs, though only succesfully completed three since it became too much (I was in plenty of other games at the time). Currently I'm only in one, and I should be able to take on a DM role here. Why do I DM? I've been encouraged to do it both by people on this side and in my personal life, and while brief I've enjoyed my time as an NPSG DM. I'm quite excited to get started on an adventure incorporating the characters you lot draw up for me, reward them with cool artifacts which I've yet to brew up and do some If you catch me using a golem clad like a butler grinding up bones and prestidigitating the dust away in a fully furnished living room, you'd better start knocking over some tablestactical combat. I realize that many first time DM's tend to drop their games a few weeks in, and I can't guarantee I won't, but I guarantee I'll at least try to make it into a good fun game. My english isn't perfect, but on the other hand having flavorful and exciting posts and an interesting is much more important to me than flawless writing.

I know it may sound like I didn't prepare much, but I had few storylines in mind to go through which are all growing into what I hope is a fun mess. I also want to leave some room in the campaign for your own wishes and hopes.

Applications"Whoareyou? Whatdoyouwant? Whatareyoudoing?" So, yeah, basically answer this, but let me give you a nice template to make things easier.
Name: Shouldn't be rocket science
Race: Might as well include traits
Class: Why not also post a bit of flavor here, perhaps you're a witch doctor themed druid or something, Archetypes are also fun. Let's allow anything paizo.
Short summary: I have an amazingly bad memory, so some short summary of your character would help to quickly memorise it. I'd like you to keep it below 100 words if possible.
Appearance: More than general build, hair and eye colour please (like my first few applications). Amazing things to think about are small accesories your character might have, how he/she walks and talks and why.
Personality: How do they make friends? What do they hate? Best way to drive them to do something?
Home: Uhh, Thalysfera is only recently semi-settled, it's highly unlikely your character originated from here (and even if they did they'd be pretty damn young). I've mentioned Pramore a few times in the summary, you can use it as a backdrop if you want, though I don't expect you to.
Backstory: Where were they born? What did their parents do? Are they still alive? Does your character have siblings? How about those? Did they have friends? Do they still have friends? Do they write them still, or did they come along? Any other loved ones I can murder play to make you feel a bit more engaged and included in the setting? Most importantly: Why are we here?
Wishes: Both in character and out of character, what can I do for you? Do you wanna be a werewolf? Or forge a sword in dragonflames? Tell me how I'd motivate you! As long as you're willing to accept that I'm likely to make balancing mistakes and rectify them later I'm willing to homebrew you up a hat that's secretly also a familiar (but now that I've written it it's something I want to do in another game, so hands off my sentient hat!)

Other things to knowGunz? This setting grew from a note "Spellslinger gunslinger" I made a while back in a textbook. The idea was to get a western vibe going on without the first thing I associate with them: Guns. As such I'd prefer not.
Magic level: Thalysfera used to be the pinacle of magic, the resettlement of it is mostly done as a search after magical knowledge and artifacts. As such you can probably expect a small settlement to have a few low level wizards, though clerics and druids are also quite common and you might even see an illusionist street artist die of starvation.
Gods:If you want to use the existing ones, have at it, if you want to make your own, all the better. You possibly originate from an entirely different culture to the rest of the party and there's no reason to interpret the unknowable motivations and divisions between the gods, though obviously everyone thinks they've got the right end of the stick.
posting rate:Given my current lifestyle I should be able to at least make an average of one post a week. I estimate my minimums carefully, and I should be able to do more but 1/week should be fine.
Stats: I like to roll my stats, so take out your d6 (bonus points if you've got spherical ones, I used to but they rolled under the couch, who even came up with the idea for spherical dice) snag a picture after you rolled them 4 times, take the highest three and repeat six times and upload the results. Appearantly this site also has a dice roller feature, so feel free to use that if you'd prefer (but only after you've been selected so I can see deleted rolls). Another option is using point buy, go nuts with 27 points to spend.
Deadline: Today is the 6th of January, so I'd say the 26th should be a good date, but I'll adjust it depending on interest.

Last edited by Sirviantis; 01-11-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
Just curious, what is entry level? That massively affects my class choice, usually, since different builds hit their stride at different levels (I'd not want to choose something that got all rich and flavorful around level 9 to have a campaign that might end at level 5...or choose something that is best at levels 1-3 when we start at level 6).
I was thinking of starting at level one, and I'm basically planning to keep the game running 'till we run out of interest, so there'd be no max level. I'll have acces to a DM screen to spitball and ferment ideas to continue the campaign and I'm usually quite creative so I assume that'd work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal08Darkmoon View Post
Can we reroll 1s if we choose to roll?
Since you can't go lower than 7 with point buy I'll let you reroll any set of 4d6kh3 if it results in 8 or lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
Is there a limit to Races? What about alignments?
For races: As long as it's below 30 race points I'm okay with it. As for allignments, I'd say no evil, but I might be convinced to allow it if you've got something really really awesome cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
What style you like? As a long time DM I have a thousand character concepts I’ve never gotten to play and am always willing to share.
I havn't got a clue what you're asking about, if it's characters, I'm not quite picky, as long as they're capable of working in a group I'll be fine with it. Personally I like characters that have a humble backstory, complete with dayjob, contacts etc. I also quite like characters that really fit together, such as having spells that really fit their personality, my summoner for instance is a real bitch and likes to paint monsters and scenes of dispair, as such I've asked (and recieved) permission to swap her summon monster SLA for summon horror spells of the same level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolfe77 View Post
Is human the predominate race or is it a fairly even mix?
It'd be a fairly even mix, meaning that humans wouldn't be more common than any other races.

Questions:
Player Name Class RaceThree word summary Status
Bigbywolfe Merurook Sorcerer Half-orcRejected by the world Complete
Alphaeus Blath Hunter Ghoran Forges her own path Complete
RacesWild Darthyn Swashbuckler Elf Outcast trickster Incomplete
Mrjoegangles Brü Dwarf Witch Dwarf exiled for barfights Complete
Danab Nuri Ifrit Oracle Preventing an apocalypse Complete
Cristal08Darkmoon Grace Aasimar Kineticist ? Complete
Taleteller50 Doc Drow ? Treasonous drow in hiding Incpmplete
RedWolfe77 Excelsior Half-elf Ranger Framed bounty hunter Complete

Last edited by Sirviantis; 01-23-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 489
Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe
Application Complete

Merurook
right-aligned image

Name: Merurook "Merry"
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Sorcerer (Dragon Bloodline)
Short summary: Rejected by much of human society and unfit for the life of the barbaric orcish horde, "Merry" has traveled to this new world to forge her own path
Appearance: Light (for an orc) skin that could almost pass for olive/Mediterranean in dim light, but gets noticeably greener as she tans. Regardless of skin color, her prominent tusks and pointed ears would keep her from passing for human. She has thick, black hair and several deep scars on her face from past life. Her eyes are a unique violet that reflect as red in fire light.
Personality: Quick tempered but otherwise good natured (though people often expect the worst of her due to her heritage). Fascinated by all things magical since discovering her powers.
Home: She had been renting a very cheep room in the bad part of town. It was not a nice neighborhood and she prefers even the untamed wilds to being stuck in the overcrowded city of her birth.
Backstory: Merurook never knew her mother. She was raised by her human father until she was 12. While she experienced a lot of dirty looks and cruel comments growing up, she had no idea how much her father had actually shielded her from until he was gone and she was a left alone. As a poor orphan "halfbreed" life for her seemed thrice cursed and her teen years were difficult to say the least. She does not talk about those years. At 17 her sorcerous powers manifested and she grew claws for the first time, to the shocked horror of the recipient of her retaliation. She has slowly began to foster her magic abilities, but she still relies more on her innate strength and claws to deal with threats. When she learned there were opportunities for settlers across the sea in a land supposedly full of mysterious, abandoned magic she jumped at the chance to leave the harsh life of the city behind.
Wishes: to make a new life for herself in a place with less bias against her (or at least less people to be biased) and maybe discover some of this continent's mysterious magics along the way.

Last edited by Bigbywolfe; 01-08-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3548
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Just curious, what is entry level? That massively affects my class choice, usually, since different builds hit their stride at different levels (I'd not want to choose something that got all rich and flavorful around level 9 to have a campaign that might end at level 5...or choose something that is best at levels 1-3 when we start at level 6).

Business as Usual, Posting Normal
Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
I was thinking of starting at level one, and I'm basically planning to keep the game running 'till we run out of interest, so there'd be no max level. I'll have acces to a DM screen to spitball and ferment ideas to continue the campaign and I'm usually quite creative so I assume that'd work.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:18 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Blath Darach
Identity

~~Blath Darach~~

Name: Blath Darach
Age: Her last seed was ejected as a final act and sprouted as her previous body died...the trauma resulted in a skill wipe. She was created somewhere around 550 AR (like all Ghoran)...if this campaign takes place in current time that means she is over 4200 years oldCurrent Body is 2 years old
Race: Ghoran
Class: Hunter, using Plant Master Archetype | Planning to go into Evangelist PrC (The Lantern King, alternate using Fey Obedience Feat instead of Deific or Fiendish), hence my "name" for the "class"Lantern Bearer
Alignment: CN

Short Summary: Food bites back. Like all Ghorans, Blath has to face the struggle of being something literally created to be eaten, and therefore of questionable standing in the world. In her case, however, she has subscribed to the mischievous policies of The Lantern King. Though the local fey and druids do a decent enough job of guarding the woods, she's decided to take a much more meddlesome role in avenging the consumption of her kind simply heckle her way into a respected place in the world. Besides, humans make excellent fertilizer.

Appearance: Blath is quite clearly a plant creature, yet at the same time is the type of creature that you would find yourself thinking was human after a bit. Her "skin" is revealed in more places than most ghorans, consisting of a nearly uniform sheen of miniscule petals. The result is a much smoother and more fleshlike appearance to these areas, such that even at the touch one would think they were brushing human skin. The rest of her, however, is coated in thicker green fibers that weave together to form an armor and battle dress that are quite literally extensions of her own body.

The result, however, is a creature that is less obviously a plant. Rather, one would think it was a druid woman of some sort dressed in some bizarre sylvan ritual garb. She stands out from the normal crowd, a regal scion masterfully crafted by ingenious ancient magics. At 5'11" she is far from tiny, and weighs in at 150 lbs total. She is quite slender and lithe, but like a willow sapling the striated fibers that run along her arms betray a much greater strength than one would presume.

On top of this, she is rarely going to be seen alone. With her almost universally is her two-headed companion Nathair, a slithering sundew. Nathair is a voracious creature whose slender green coils belie a formidable power, and his rounded green buds contain potent acids. More often than not he is at her side, though he also may, at any time, coil up around her torso like a pet.

Personality: Blath is playful and cunning, knowing how the world works and that she is at the bottom of the food chain. As a Ghoran memories and education are things that aren't always available, so her skills are mostly learned through experience directly and her talents the product of a patchwork of lives. She truly enjoys life -- plants are, in many ways, the stereotypical symbols of growing life, and this is not lost on her. The world is her playground, one rife with children more powerful than she...for now. Still, a playground is a playground, and there is nothing she won't try at least once just for the heck of it.

Her favorite amusement, of course, is causing trouble. She isn't necessarily the type of merely set some ingenious trap for someone -- her form of trouble usually ends with acid burns and flattened heads. Her biggest concern is herself, but she does have a soft spot for people who are/have experienced as much oppression as she and her kind have. Still...fighting is fun, and fun means satisfaction, and satisfaction means that you're doing life right. The crazy humans tend to over think life with all their rules; orcs and the like tend to merely fight soooo much they don't have time for all the other fun; and elves and the like are too uppity to let loose and give mindless fun a go. At least in general.

Home: Home, for Blath, is wherever she happens to lay her head for the night. She's a wanderer with little in the way of ordinary needs. The folds of her own leaves will produce berries that suffice for food, and she can cleanse whatever water she finds to suit her needs. She has the skills to craft weapons and armor, mainly so that she can tend the layered fibers she herself grows into armor for herself. That said, Thalysfera hasn't been home for all that long -- she came here to find refuge from the more urbanized and less welcoming shores of Pramore. On the mainland her people struggle, but in her mind that is because they make themselves defenders rather than aggressors in the endless fight for rights and recognition. Here, though...here she has a chance to cut her own slice of the pie and make a home for herself and her kind.

Backstory:

Wishes: Blath doesn't particularly care if people accept her or not -- she's decided not to be the type of person that gives them a choice. Rather, she has in her mind to do two things: 1) enjoy every single ounce of life as much as she can, however she pleases; and 2) to forcibly make a safe haven for herself and other Ghoran that everyone knows belongs to her and her alone.

Last edited by Alphaeus; 01-09-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics

Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
There's now way I'm already passing secret notes at this point.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
Nope, not all all, Sirviantis. I believe you.

Last edited by Alphaeus; 01-09-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
Frankly the amount of secret posts in this recruitment thread is quite astonishingly large.

Oh, in wishes, please include out of character wishes as well. I might use it as inspiration for things to come.

Last edited by Sirviantis; 01-09-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
I know, right?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1227
RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild
Name: Darthyn Contraba
Race: Elven
Class:Swashbuckler
Short summary: Rejected by his peers as being too flamboyant, ready to start a new life of dashing and daring-do
Appearance: Black hair, light colored eyes, almost gray, 5'9", 138 lbs

Personality:A very flamboyant character, smiles a lot, and chooses to enjoy life, instead of quietly considering the future of the world. He has the outlook that life is lived, not observed.
Home:Home is on the horizon. At least that is what he tells everyone when he walks into town.
Backstory:Born a little over 100 years ago, Darthyn became aware at an early age that he was not like every other elf in the community.
He loved playing tricks. He loved being able to taunt, playfully of course, and spin away from danger. This lead to his being asked to either leave, or tone down his colorful antics.
Excerpt from the memoirs of his life:

WIP

Wishes: Darthyn's wishes are simple. Live life, celebrate life. He wishes to bring celebration back to the forefront, not as a secondary action of existing.

Last edited by RacesWild; 01-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2432
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Anyone else have the problem where you read a recruitment thread and three or four ideas pop into your mind but you have trouble settling on one?

Last edited by Cristal08Darkmoon; 01-09-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 165
danab danab
Yeah, happens all the time.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 484
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
I have been struggling with 5e writers block for over a month. Ask me for a 3.5 char concept and Ill rattle off eight or nine of em… but 5e..... uhm uhm GOBLIN!????