RPXP: 355
Drakur Drakur Drakur Drakur
Into the Dragon's Den

Game NameInto the Dragon's Den
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeA one shot fantasy adventure
FlavourA typical adventure into the dragon's den

Dragon's Den Lite
HistoryMy family and I are working on starting a business together, specifically a Friendly Local Game Store. We wanted to create a place free from judgement with people that are willing to help others in the infancy of their joining the various hobbies, and nothing around us offers that. So we want to make it! Games run in this system will be some of our offerings to help people understand the concept of role playing in a rules light setting.

The SystemThe system is fairly rules light and is designed for one shot games. There is no leveling or continuing. The character sheet is nothing more than an index card, and the story evolves with its players. So without further ado, here it is:

D6 system

Character creation
Choose 1 skill to be really good at (+2/2+)
Choose 2 skills to be good at (+1/3+)
Choose 2 skills to be bad at (-1/5+)
Choose 1 skill to be really bad at (-2/6+)
(Rest of the skills will be at +0/4+)
3 hit points

Opposed rolls use the +modifier for the two rollers. Static rolls use the success rate instead. GM may alter success rate as appropriate.

In combat, attacker rolls. Defender rolls to defend. Attacker wins=1 hp damage to defender. Defender wins=miss.
Plot Summary
Into the Dragon's Den
left-aligned image

A dragon is terrorizing the local town. 4 brave adventurers are chosen to attempt the impossible and defeat the dragon. How shall they do it? That is up to them. Perhaps the grand adventure shall be one of wits or knowledge. Or perhaps it shall be classic tale of man (and woman) vs. beast. What will happen? Only you can tell the story.

So what do you need to join this band of intrepid heroes? Pick your six skills as explained above and give your character a name. Images are optional but encouraged. If you do decide to use one, please spoilerbutton the image and PLEASE provide some credit to the artist (such as a link to a profile or their deviantart if your searches bring you there...even a name or web link is preferable to nothing. In case you are wondering, the image to the left is actually mine).

I don't really have a timeframe on this, since I don't know what kind of support this will get. Depending on the crew and how it goes, I would be willing to run some of the other game ideas we have, but that is in the future. I will be recording the username of every person who helps me test this, and there will be a Scroll of Honor in our store when we open our doors with all of the testers on it.

Last edited by Drakur; 01-08-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 266
Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe Bigbywolfe
Is there a skill list or do players just make up 6 skill names?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
There isnt a codified list, no. It's meant to foster creativity. If you want a skill to be basket weaving, go for it, I'll try to work the story around what is chosen. I do have a list of sample skills I can provide if you would like.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 392
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakur View Post
There isnt a codified list, no. It's meant to foster creativity. If you want a skill to be basket weaving, go for it, I'll try to work the story around what is chosen. I do have a list of sample skills I can provide if you would like.
Please tell us again the story of uncle Drakur and how he killed that ogre with his epic basketweaving!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhibidy View Post
Please tell us again the story of uncle Drakur and how he killed that ogre with his epic basketweaving!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21
Vathe
No story of dragons is fit without a gallant sword!

Wallace the Warrior
Very Good at Enduring (against Pain and Loss of Stamina)
Good at Swordplay & Horsemanship
Bad at Roguery & Literacy
Very Bad at Magics (He fears them greatly and such his soul is weak to their wiles)

Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I like it! That is what I'm looking for.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
We always need a plucky comic relief who thinks he’s the hero. (In the style of Jack Burton)
Jacques of The Fort Town
Very Good: Making it all about him (“Now I’m a reasonable guy. But, I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things.”)
Good: Reactions (“It’s all in the reflexes”), Lucky (“Give me your best shot pal, I can take it”)
Bad: Love (“Sooner or later I rub everyone the wrong way.”), Disguises (“Henry Swanson’s my name, and excitement’s my game.”)
Very Bad: Understanding what’s going on. (“What the hell does that mean? huh?”)

The Blind Inquisitor; The Washed up Adventurer
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Squire of Fate

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
Golden Gen Golden Gen Golden Gen
Here is my try to this fun game idea.

Drukar Redbeard
Very Good: Drinking (Any and all things, specially alcohol)
Good: Shooting (Yeah he can still aim), Sleeping (Got to get through the next day some how)
Bad: Speaking (Due to all the slurring), Directions (Unless he needs to find the bar)
Very Bad: Focusing on a goal (He has a very short attention span)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2375
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
I am thinking about an inhuman magic user of some sort. I don't know if I want a half-orc Sorcerer, a Thri-kreen Mystic, an awakened Porcupine druid or something else. What sort of monstrous "other" would you be interested to explore in this world?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 AM
Half Elf, Half Mad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1026
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
What a very interesting idea! I'd love to see how this plays out as a system!

Meego
Very Good at Bowing and Scraping (Shooting with a bow or scraping bones with a dagger)
Good at Looting (corpses, chests, wine cellars, you name it, he'll dig into it) & Dodging (arrows, responsibilities, taxes)
Bad at Reading (no books where he came from) & Writing (usually sharp objects were used to kill people, so messages were written in blood, but those were the most evil of acts a goblin can do; writing steals the soul!)
Very Bad at Hugs (He likes to hug, but most people don't return the feeling)

Last edited by Tinuviel; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 AM
Adult Dragon
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 304
SirAlvin SirAlvin SirAlvin SirAlvin
This is a fantastic idea sir. I would very much like to play test this as well with some very young nephews of mine who enjoy D&D, would that be okay? While I wait for your answer, prepare your hearts for the one... the only!!!!

Lil Saxon reporting for duty! A small superstitious grippli (frogfolk) who loves to drink.

Very Good at Sneaking ("I use my size against them before they can use it against me. Ribbit")
Good at Using His Mouth ("I'll let you interpret that however you like. Ribbit"), Remembering Liquids ("If I've tasted it before, its now stuck in my mindmug... bad liquids sadly included.")
Bad at Black Animals and Things ("NOPE! I will not move Ribbit until that black Ribbit rock is at least 100 feet away Ribbit, thank you very much!"), Holding His Bladder ("Hold my glass please... ****** CENSORED *** AHHHH Ribbit***")
Very Bad at Any Kind of Movement ("I'm a frog. It'll be faster if you give me a piggy-back ride. I promise not to pee on your neck area... ... AHHHH Ribbit")