Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 175
HeartOfMany HeartOfMany
Within the Mind of the Many

Game NameWithin the Mind of the Many
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSandbox, Subterfuge, Strategy
FlavourPlay as a mind-controlling parasite!
Plot SummaryMany thousands of years ago, a war was fought that drew all the inhabitants of the world into the fray. On one side, the free folk, a dozen disparate kingdoms all standing together against their common foe. On the other side stood an army unlike any other witnessed in history. The people of the day called it the Many-As-One. It infected people through their eyes, drew them into itself, changed them. It was a fearsome army, a network of autonomous minds capable of perfect cooperation and coordination, expanding itself with each conquest. In the end, it was only defeated through the efforts of a dedicated adventurer's guild, the Strongavin Hunters, who infiltrated the Many's home base and reduced its Core to sludge. The shock of having the center of the network destroyed temporarily disabled the Many, leaving the rest of the world to take back their land and bury what was left of the Core deep beneath the city, erecting a city on the site named for the heroes who saved them all.

Now, in the sewers of Strongavin, that ancient force has seeped through the walls of its prison and bubbled up in a pool of filth. The ancient wars are a long forgotten memory now, a footnote in histories of the continent. But while the world was forgetting it, it was regaining its strength.

One day, a few unfortunate souls found themselves beneath those streets, perhaps adventurers, or travelers, or maybe even a couple of lost commoners. It was then that the Many-As-One took its chance to be reborn, dragging the people to the ground and dripping a bit of itself into their eyes.

You are one of those drops, a new, fully autonomous mind and a part of the network of the Many. Upon your birth, you were given no instructions, but you understood that you had to protect the sludge that you emerged from, the Core. Beyond that, your mission in life is up to you to decide.

Subsumed MindYou have access to the skills and memories of the original owner of your new body, and their mind is still active within you. Whether it is still conscious, lurking just beneath the surface of your mind, is up to you. Perhaps it resisted too strongly when it was infected and you chose to destroy it or, alternatively, it chose to cooperate with you and still chats with you from time to time.

SettingStrongavin is a moderately sized town near the center of the Kingdom of Hazelward. Its primary function is as a trading hub for merchants from the port city of Arlinov to the south, the mining town of Estortzkin to the north, and the capital city of Henzelbach to the north-east. As a result, while it has only a small permanent population, it has a large number of travelers passing through at any given time. Additionally, its infrastructure is suited to accommodating merchant caravans, with many marketplaces for their trade and inns for their accommodation.

MechanicsAs a part of the Many-As-One, your body has undergone some changes to integrate you into the network of minds. All characters have the following abilities:

Connected Minds: You can communicate with any other creature within the network of minds quickly and silently. At any time, you can use a bonus action to relay a message to any or all other creatures that also have this trait within 30 feet. The message takes half as long to communicate as it would if spoken normally, and will make your eyes glow a dim red for the duration of its usage.

Enthrall: Your blood contains a weakened form of the substance that created you. By dripping it into the eyes of others, you can attempt to make them your thrall. When you do so, make a Wisdom check against their Wisdom saving throw. If you succeed, the creature gains the Connected Minds trait and will obey all your orders, to the letter. Thralls are not full-fledged aspects of the Many and cannot think for themselves or improvise in any way. Additionally, every half hour, the creature may make another Wisdom save against your original Wisdom check to escape its enthrallment. You may not have a number of thralls greater than your level divided by 2 (rounded down) at any given time.

Application FormatName: The name you go by now. It could be the name of your host body, or another that you've adopted yourself.

Host Body's Name: Only necessary if different from your current name.

Physical Description: Provide a picture, if you can, or a short paragraph describing your appearance.

Race: All races are allowed.

Class: You acquired the skills and knowledge of your host when you took control of their mind, so your class is the same as theirs. All characters start at level 3.

Background: Your host's background, absorbed when you took control.

Alignment: Any. The Many-As-One has no fundamental goal beyond self preservation, so its individual components are left to define their alignments for themselves.

Personality(s): Your personality as well as the original personality of your host, provided you didn't destroy it altogether when you took over their mind (see: Subsumed Mind).

History and Connections: Although you are new to this world, your body is not. What did they do before they came to the sewers? Who did they know and care about?

Roleplay Sample: Any important moment between taking your new body and the start of the game. Get creative with it.

There's no need for you to make a character sheet until after the application period, which ends January 30, three weeks from when this is being posted.

CharacterPlayerStatus
#2609ZazoAndrovFinished
2713AchamianFinished
#2596DrSabekFinished
#4581RylusWIP
#2884TorackWIP
The HarbingerkingmonkeyFinished
OozelvortechsFinished

Last edited by HeartOfMany; 01-29-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Is Dead And Gone

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2246
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Application, still in the works.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Brand Greymane
Race: Human - Variant
Class: Fighter - Arcane Archer
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Physical Description:

Personality:

History & Connections:

RP Sample:

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 01-11-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov
Hoho! Very interesting concept and is just my cup of tea! Count me interested and I'll post my application in here soon enough

Ira Drezden
right-aligned image

Name: #2609

Host Body's Name: Ira Drezden

Physical Description: Tall slim human female with long black hair and green eyes.

Race: Human

Class: Ranger / Monster Hunter (Xanather)

Background: Urchin

Alignment: LN

Personality(s): #2609 is a calm and collected Mind that executes its tasks in the most optimal and efficient way. It's merging with Ira's consciousness has made #2609 curious and intrigued about the society of the single-minded people and has decided to let Ira active within his own consciousness. Both of them can speak through the host's mouth, yet #2609 is the single and undisputed controller of the body, something that frustrates and hurts Ira, especially when she sees herself doing things she wouldn't imagine doing on her own. Ira is a kind talkative person who was yet to figure out her place in the world.

History and Connections: Ira Drezden was a street urchin and a kid that came from a very impoverished family with many kids in it. She and most of her siblings had a home to return to for the nights, but food on the table was scarce and all kids had to learn to deal with the harshness of the city in their own way. Ira was employed by the town hunters eventually, from who she received some training in the bow and sword. After which she decided to put her abilities in tracking and bounty hunting. First it was humanoids, later she moved on bigger and more exotic targets. She went where the work was and that led her far from home, but at least her stomach was full and she got to see the world for what it was. To her unfortunate end, she ended up chasing a monster in the sewers of a big town, which turned out a way stronger foe than she could have imagined. Ira fell back but while trying to escape, she encountered Mind-of-Many and suddenly her small insignificant mind had become a part of something much larger.

Roleplay Sample: Fascinating. -- said the voice of #2609 through Ira's mouth -- Most fascinating. Tell me more about this "alcohol". I understand it's functions as a social simulator, and that maybe some people enjoy its taste, but knowing that it makes your body more inefficient and potentially lowers its general health, why is it such a big thing in this society. They took another big sip from the tankard with ale, while enjoying the hot summer day.

Ira sighed. Well, I wasn't that much of a fan, and I am beginning to worry on how far you're planning on taking your experiments. Although they spoke with the same voice, its tone was completely different. #2609 had managed to give Ira's feminine voice some masculinity, or maybe it was just distanced from any emotion and had taken away her high-pitched notes.

I need to investigate the ranges of its effect, Ira. I must know what to expect in situations of intoxication and how to deal with them in an efficient way for both of us.

Again with the big words. People notice these things, you know? And that attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

Noted, Ira. Thank you for your...advice. continued #2609 while it was slurping loudly in an attempt to taste the ale.

Well I guess you're welcome. Not that I have any say in whatever you with my body.

At least I am letting you experience your life, our life as a conscious being. Many of the Many subdue their host's personality completely upon overtaking.

So I guess, you're from the kind guys, huh? she let out an attempt of a laugh that sounded more of a frustrated groan.

I am whatever I am needed to be, Ira. I take actions depending on what is best for this body and the network of the Many. The active cooperation of our two minds continues to be a valid strategy for efficiency.

Something catched their eyes.
That's him. It sounded like both consciousnesses attempted to say it in the same time and a strange stutter occurred. Their target, apparently a drug chemist working for an underground guild in the city, and a very key figure for their whole creation and testing process, was walking down the street, followed by two tough men. That guy was worth a hundred gold pieces, or at least the information in his head, that their employers needed desperately.

They left the ale undrank as well as the money owned to the barkeep and followed the group from a distance.
Ira, why are our lungs doing this? asked #2609 after being surprised by a couple of sudden hiccups. This is quite an unexpected effect. It may make our concealment much harder.
Let's hope our aim is still good or we are going to wake up with something worse than a hangover tomorrow. added Ira and they disappeared into one of the small streets, from where they were going to invite themselves to a very profitable drug deal that was about to be interrupted.

Last edited by ZazoAndrov; 01-12-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2247
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Place holder. A fascinating idea.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 70
Achamian
2713/Anthon Fane
Name: 2713

Host Body's Name: Anthon Fane

Physical Description: Anthon Fane is a human male of 52 years. Stooped and weatherworn, he exudes an unremitting weariness. His drooped eyes dart about nervously under a deeply furrowed brow, never quite matching the gaze of others. A perpetual grimace cuts a thin line across his face, and even his rare smile feels more like a sneer. At a little over 6 feet tall, he might have once cut an imposing figure but is all the more pitiful now for his hunched and beggarly bearing. Foregoing the livery of his fellow Schoolmen, Fane dresses in plain robes and wears no beard; his aspect is altogether artless save the shock of white hair swept above his head.

Race: Human

Class: Wizard

Background: Charlatan

Alignment: Neutral

Personality(s): Anthon Fane is the picture of sniveling subservience. A bitter, conniving sycophant, Fane dutifully serves his sorcerous Grandmaster outwardly, while privately bemoaning his lowly station and contriving extravagantly violent (but entirely impracticable) revenge fantasies. Fane is certain that his underachievement in wizarding is not the result of some personal defect, as his Grandmaster would argue throughout the years; rather, he was robbed of the opportunity to flourish by jealous enemies within the School.

2713 is the old whisper in Fane’s soul, though it’s only now speaking in a tongue he recognizes. It is the sudden and incontrovertible realization that Fane has been serving the wrong master. 2713 is the promise of self-preservation and the actualization of raw potential. When the Many-As-One revealed itself to Fane, there was no fear, no struggle; the pledging of his life was a foregone conclusion. Abdicating control to 2713 was at once the most selfish and selfless act of Anthon Fane’s miserable life, for in serving the Core, he became his own master.

History and Connections: As a child, Anthon Fane was deposited at one of Henzelback’s premier sorcerous Schools by parents eager to nurture his nascent magical abilities. Before long, however, it became clear that the potential he’d shown as a young boy would remain untapped. Fane lagged behind his classmates, mastering only the most rudimentary spellcasting over the decades he would spend within the School’s walls. Abandoned to the care of the Grandmasters when his parents unceremoniously departed the capital, Fane would earn his keep as a glorified valet. As years passed, Fane’s acrimony took root, growing into a hateful weed that wound and choked. Fane would eventually encounter the Many-As-One while on an errand in Strongavin. And what better a mind to enthrall?

Roleplay Sample:

The old oak erupted in a shower of sparks, then danced in flame like a living thing. The sorcerous song poured forth, like marbles tumbling from Fane’s open mouth.

It is well.

His hands, which had always felt dumb with cold, traced perfect geometries in the air before him. The fire leapt and twisted.

It is well.

That evening, in the gloom of the sewer’s northern antechamber, Fane squinted in the guttering candlelight, furiously scrawling words of power across fresh parchment. His old spellbook, little more than a pile of vellum scraps, piled up about him as he transposed the contents. Queer, he thought, that the hand didn’t at all resemble his own, the letters arching and sweeping with an unfamiliar confidence. A thing once so disused and inconsequential, now made new, and whole.

“Like me,” he whispered to the pitch.

Like me.

There were hours left before daybreak. Fane pushed back from the table, his chair scraping the stone floor. Across from him in the dark, the tavernkeeper sat perfectly still, his hands laid flat on the tabletop. The man’s eyes glowed a dull red, like blood in milk.

“You may clear these,” Fane said, gesturing to the array of plates and serving trays.

The man lurched into motion.

He had found the tavernkeeper asleep in the small bedroom at the rear of the building. There was still a dark smear at the corner of his eye.

“I thank you,” Fane said, rising, “for opening your doors so early on my account.”

He burst out into the street, heart racing, giddy. It was intoxicating, exerting his will on others, on the world, perhaps for the first time. His laugh was shrill and clear on the predawn air, and he cackled to himself as he hurried on.

It is well. Rest now. Prepare yourself.

Last edited by Achamian; 01-14-2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-10-2019, 09:50 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
SleepyTenor
Well now this looks like fun. I'll take some time to put something together. Placeholder for now.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 AM
Is Dead And Gone

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2246
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
How do you feel about Unearthed Arcana? Specifically the Close-Quarters Shooter from the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA.

Here's the link to the .PDF, just in case you haven't seen it.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
HeartOfMany HeartOfMany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
How do you feel about Unearthed Arcana? Specifically the Close-Quarters Shooter from the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA.

Here's the link to the .PDF, just in case you haven't seen it.
It could be interesting, so I'll allow it.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 895
DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek
right-aligned image

Name: #2596

Host Body's Name: Palios

Race: Tiefling

Class: Paladin

Background: Soldier

Alignment: LE

Personality(s): #2596 walks a very fine line. To those who knew his host, he maintains the facade of a cheerful and trusted officer, devoted to seeing his city protected from those who would destroy it. Inside, however, he is cold and calculated, devoted only to making the Many as powerful as possible, willing to do anything to ensure that the world achieve unity with the Many and through that, perfection.

History and Connections: Pelaios was an enforcer for the local law. His job was to handle those jobs that were beneath his colleagues, missing persons and so forth. Where the other members of the guard were looking for high profile cases, he knew that the quiet cases were often the ones that mattered most to the poor victims. It was this desire to help that led him to the sewers of Strongavin in search of a missing child. There, he found something that threatened the very world he tried so hard to save.

Roleplay Sample: Pelaios slogged through the refuse, torch flickering feebly in the darkness. Ahead, he thought he spotted something floating in a pool. As he approached, he found it to be a doll. The same one describe to him by the girl's parents. "Looks like I'm on the right path," he said to himself.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw something move. Turning his head, he saw nothing. For a moment, that looked like the slime on the wall had reached for him. Shaking his head, he continued forward. He thought he heard something ahead. Was that...crying? "Don't worry," he called. "I'm here to help."

Suddenly, something dropped onto him from above. A bit of goo hit his eyes. He reached up to wipe it away, only to suddenly cry out as it slithered behind his eyes and into his head. Falling, he writhed a moment before stopping, suddenly.

He lay there breathing heavily, then got back up. The crying ahead had stopped, but renewed again. He found a child huddled in a small alcove. "Sorry about that," he found himself saying. "It's a little slick in here." To his horror, he found his arms reaching out without his control. "Let's get you to your parents."

Above ground, #2596 returned the child to her parents, his siblings carefully deposited in her clothes. "She had a bit of a fright down there," he said, drowning out the screams in his head. "Nothing a good night's sleep won't fix. I suggest you all get some sleep. There are big changes coming, as we all need to be ready for them."
Characters: Perrin, Lucy, #2596/Pelaios
Taken the Oath

Last edited by DrSabek; 01-13-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov
Hihi, nice to see the #number naming idea is spreading out
Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 895
DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek
At first, I thought of something like "Hand," but that sounded too cliched. Numbers for names feels more like what a hive mind like entity would use. Almost like a fantasy version of the Borg.
Characters: Perrin, Lucy, #2596/Pelaios
Taken the Oath
Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
HeartOfMany HeartOfMany
Since it seems like interest has dipped a little, I will be extending the deadline by a week to January 30th. Cheers all, and happy mind-controlling!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2551
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
This sounds to fun to pass up.

Name:

Host Body's Name:
Eric Dow

Race:
Human

Class:
Rogue (Mastermind)

Background: Eric was born a street rat, he never knew his mother or father and had to grow up quickly in order to survive. While not as physical as some of the other kids he always had a way to control those around him or trick them into doing what he wanted. At the age of fifteen he joined the thieves guild but after a year he was kicked out for starting several fights between upper ranking members, trying to advance his own position. Having his plans fail in the kingdom of Ezel he moved to the town of Strongavin with plans to set up a guild of his own, unfortunately for him he had no idea what lived in the sewers he was exploring and was quickly overwhelmed by the many, becoming an unwilling host.

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Personality(s): Both minds set self above most, with 4581 placing the many above himself and Eric placing no one above himself. The two clash often in the ideas of what is best, 4581 choosing to expand the many and Eric whole heartily choosing to keep his body safe. Dispite these clashes it is very apparent that 4581 is in complete control but Eric still holds hope that one day he can trick the parasite into giving his body back.

History and Connections:
Ex-member of the thieves guild in the kingdom of Ezel.
Womanizer who has angered many husbands, boyfriends, and fathers
While trying to find a good place to set up a guild Eric became friends with the local gravekeeper.
Eric is also friendly with the mayors daughter.

Roleplay Sample: Any important moment between taking your new body and the start of the game. Get creative with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	78932  

Last edited by Rylus; 01-19-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 AM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
Application
right-aligned image

Name: #2884

Host Body's Name: Itkovian Drel

Race: Human Variant.

Class: Ranger | Hunter

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Alignment: NG

Personality(s): Ingenuity. That's what helped Itkovian survive the infection in the first place. He's more or less comfortable with this creature taking over his body, controlling it and using it, but he also knows that if he fights back, there's a good chance that he will no longer exist. So, he plays nice and helps whatever this thing is, often talking with it and having idle conversations during their travels. Before the infection, he would always look for the best or most profitable solution for himself, especially when it came to his bounty hunter job. If his target could afford to pay more than the bounty on their heads, he'd let them walk, or capture them. Thus, when he was infected, he naturally decided to play along since he sees at least having his mind is far better than having no mind at all.

The creature, having taken up Itkovian's personality and hybridized it with its own, is a creature that is somewhat more social than Itkovian used to be. Before, he was more of an outsider, preferring to stay on the fringes of society where he could hunt down criminals and bring their heads in to the local law masters. Or even spend days in the wilds living off the land when there were no jobs. Now he's better presented, a little more charming than he used to be, and instead of the gruff attitude he once had, the creature is more friendly. Gruff still, but with a hint of friendliness to make him more endearing and sociable.

History and Connections: Itkovian was born in Arlinov where he spent most of his childhood as any other child. His parents were simple farmers and made a good living while his eldest sister tried to pursue the life of a merchant to leave their poverty stricken life behind. Itkovian however was more concerned with his own personal benefits, and wanted to not only leave poverty behind, but to never have to encounter it again. More, as he grew older, the thought of having to stay in one place became something of a boring idea to him and so he traveled north to Estoratzkin.

Before he got to the city he was beset by a large group of bandits and tried to fight them off despite his inexperience with weapons and any sort of fighting style. Galadis, an elf who lived in the nearby wildlands helped and saved him. Once the bandits were driven off, Itkovian asked her if she could train him, but she refused. He pressed the matter, following her to Estoratzkin, saying that he didn't want to depend on anyone else saving his life, and eventually she relented. The next several years, Itkovian learned how to hunt and survive in the wilds, keeping vigil with Galadis on the wildlands and keeping any sort of bandits and goblins from successfully raiding and destroying trading caravans.

He kept up this vigil for several years until he went down south to Strongavin where he encountered a lawman asking for the bounty of a thief that was last seen in Onakel. Having been trained by an elf, he took the opportunity and several weeks later returned with the thief roped and gagged. Itkovian took his payment and noticing the large sum of money he recieved for a simple bounty, decided to take up the life of a bounty hunter. Moving from city to city and never staying in one place.

It was during the hunt of a particular murderer in Strongavin that led him to the city's sewers. He wasn't exactly comfortable going down there but the pay was exceptionally high, and so he took it. Before Itkovian could capture his bounty however, he was cutting a small rodent for food when some of its blood got into his eye. Next thing he knew, his mind was no longer alone and his body no longer his. He decided to bargain with whatever it was that now occupied him, that he would give up his body but he wanted his mind and memories intact, and that he would help whatever this thing was in order to make the most of the bonding.

Roleplay Sample: WIP

Last edited by Torack; 01-19-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Mister H
What an absolutely fascinating concept, and one I will certainly be throwing my hand into.

What I'm wondering though is in terms of the characters, are we expected to be fully integrated into the hivemind (i.e. we are part of the collective and there's no chance of ever escaping), or is there the facility for our characters to fight against that control? I guess the answer to that question will determine where I go with the character concept I put together.
Closed Thread