twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM
22nd level Typewriter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 624
Nantei Nantei Nantei Nantei Nantei Nantei
Yeah, but not exclusively. What I mean is that it would take immense exposure to actually become fluent in a reasonable amount of time for most people, and reading up on it drastically speeds the process.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1472
ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma
Yes... time could be tied to the Int bonus.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma
PS: What do you think of the army building idea?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 AM
22nd level Typewriter

Tools
User Statistics
I think Kingmaker actually comes with kingdom building rules, but I don't recall them being very good. Plus I've always liked army rules for tabletop games.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
They come with kingdom building rules, but not with army building rules.

In the mainstream rules, all you do is to say "I raise an army" and you have an army of whatever units you have at your disposal. I think it is good for a "standard" game, but more creativity would need further working of the ruleset.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10037
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
I like the idea of creating a more advanced army system than is currently provided for in Kingmaker but I will say that is something that I am working for as a long term project as it will be a rather long time before that becomes a situation, it isn't till after the first entire section that it will come into play and via PbP it will take a rather long time.

Books on languages will be able to help you out but you will have to roll a fairly high linguistics check to pull of learning a language from a book without having a translated version of the book in a language that you know, and then while it would give you a written word knowledge of the book it would not really help you in knowing how to speak it so you will still have to find some way of learning the basics of the speech pattern as I don't think Golarion has basic pronunciation guides for all the languages, though some scholars might have tried.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:34 PM
22nd level Typewriter

Tools
User Statistics
Er, that's the idea. You have an actual guide to learning the language. Not reading books in the language, although you would assumedly do that too.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Yeah, would probably have it cost the equivalent of a masterwork item and that would help with the written form of the language, then you will need to find someone who you can talk to to teach you everything.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:08 PM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
I agree... we have A LOT of time to discuss those rules, but I always think that starting early can give us more time to "machine" the concepts. Besides, all that thinking about armies gave me an idea and I will probably use it soon.

I even have a name: "Ars Belica".
Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
True, I am honestly thinking about making some mechanism for training them via either taking groups along with yours to "adventure" with the protection of a higher level party or if the money gets invested into the proper facilities and trainers being able to do it passively.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
Indeed, this type of mentoring for adventurers would be interesting for the first forces (which is what you may be thinking of), but it would take more specialized training for professional soldiers.

I think there can even be a different system for each stage of the force: a less specialized training (perhaps based on mentoring) for the first combatants to form the adventurer defenders of the first settlement, a more specialized training for militia and a highly specialized training for a professional army.