Game Thread Chapter 4: The Town of Vallaki - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Return to Ravenloft: Curse of Strahd
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Leet Master Ace's Avatar
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2018
RPXP: 807
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace
Posts: 816
left-aligned image
"Eep!" Vixen exclaims, startled by the rather uninviting, loud harangue from the carpenter. "My apologies m'lord...we had no intention we were just exploring and...and wanted to stop by your shop. I think your work is...well, rather beautiful, and was curious about your business and clientele," she bows her head a bit and sniffles. "Besides, we won't be in town long, so there's Persuasion = 13no need to be concerned about us. We're just passing through...hoping to raise some spirits," she explains as she grows increasingly upset, the irony completely lost on her.

"And what better place to raise spirits than a coffin shop?" she poorly attempts humor without even a smile before turning away in shame. "Apologies again, m'lord, that was an awfully cruel jest for me to make." *sob*
__________________
Eat L33T!

Necromancy ruins boss fights.

Last edited by Leet Master Ace; 03-13-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Arthilian01's Avatar
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 is offline
Chaotic Good Red Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-05-2020
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Posts: 10,380
Endria Bolstorf:
left-aligned image
Endria
Endria nearly throws the door off the hinges or rather slams it hard against the backstop as she enters the shop and then she sees Vixen standing before her and rushes over, "Vixen, You are well! I was quite worried when I awoke and the bed was empty and then I did not find you about the common room. What happened?!" Her anger at the coffin maker was slightly averted at this second as her worry for the young woman who had collapsed the night before took precedence.

OOC:
 

__________________
-Oath of Sangus ||

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Seravok's Avatar
Seravok Seravok is offline
Alchemical Acquaintance
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-01-2020
RPXP: 3229
Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok
Posts: 2,658
In the Coffin Maker's Shop
As Henrik witnessed the door swing wide, three new adventurers entered the Coffin Maker's Shop and heard the Half-Orc speak words with some form of incantation he couldn't begin to understand. The Coffin Maker notes how one of the three newcomers shows care and concern for one of the first intruders, and his heart aches. His sense of companionship has been lost for so long, he nearly forgot what it was like, and his stern face shifted into longing "I uh..." Henrik begins speaking, and then his words were choked. Henrik shook his head, wondering why he couldn't speak the words he intended. "I'm afraid of... " again his words were choked, his mouth even looked gagged for a moment as he attempted to lie. Suddenly, Henrik's shoulders slumped, his posture seemed defeated, his heart ache must have succumbed his angst to prevent the truth any longer "I'm sorry..." Henrik's words were soft, he couldn't bear to hold back his secret any longer.

"I've been wronged, and I've also wronged others in return" his confession was vague, but the sense of his words were completely true. "I'm afraid of 'them'..." Henrik said as he pointed to the ceiling of the room. "'They' came as an exchange for good business" Henrik couldn't bear to look anyone in the eye, his face downtrodden as he further revealed more details "It all started when Lord Vasili von Holtz came to visit my shop. The nobleman promised me 'good business', he said, and I was paid well... but at what cost?" pieces of a puzzle began to fall into place, a picture painted by the Coffin Maker's words soon formed before the adventurers. "Then, one by one, 'they' came to my door step at night. 'They' introduced themselves as clients sent by Mr. von Holtz himself. 'They' rest during the day, but plan for a feast of their own at night." Henrik could hardly bear the weight upon his shoulders, his knees even looked to buckle as he continued "I offered the grave digger some of my new wealth for the bones of St. Andral in return. It was not my idea, but their's." Henrik manages to muster up enough strength to point to the ceiling again in righteous anger, then slumps in his posture again. "The bones are said to protect the Church, and now 'they' have the bones... oh dear..." His face begins to show signs of worry, his eyes sunken now "St. Andral's Feast!" Henrik says as though piecing together something he hadn't thought of before "they plan to attack on the night of St. Andral's Feast!" Henrik's eyes widen as he speaks and he looks up at each adventurer as he exclaims "'They' must be stopped! This cannot happen, please, help me. I've made a terrible mistake!" Henrik's eyes shifted from above back to eye level when he spoke his concern while requesting your aid.
__________________

Oath taken
DM:
Curse of Strahd
Icewind Dale
40k Armies at War

Last edited by Seravok; 03-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM
MrCeeJ's Avatar
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-06-2020
RPXP: 1912
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Posts: 2,386
left-aligned image
Colotan
"They..." Colotan said to himself, then repeated it once more. "They...who are they? What creatures do you speak of that would sway you to retrieve your dead from their eternal rest?" In frustration and anger towards the man's transgressions, the shaman gripped Henrik by the shirt collar and snarled in his face. "I would be quick to do away with your vague babble and speak more clearly. Who will attack and when is this feast!?" There are few things in the world that could cause Colotan's blood to boil, but tainting the dead's rest is one way in which to incite a mouth-frothing anger within the half-orc.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 03-14-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-18-2020
RPXP: 9206
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,189
Vallaki
left-aligned image
Bartholomew
Bartholomew did not like the implications this coffin maker made. Some form of nocturnal creature dwelling just above their heads with a religious relic which possibly possessed magical wards.

The paladin brushed aside his worries and questioned the man further.

"How many of them are there? What else do you know of their nature. Leave out no details. They could mean the difference between our deaths and theirs."










 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Dooliwong's Avatar
Dooliwong Dooliwong is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-31-2019
RPXP: 1840
Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong
Posts: 2,283
left-aligned image
Nowhere sighs at Colotan's outburts. "Clearly, they are not related to my friend here, " he says dully, holding out a hand containing a small furry rodent. "What's the big deal? We're taken down a trio of night hags, survived an onslaught from some undead and wolves, and all that within the last two weeks. Let's just torch the coffins and be done with it, if they're so afraid of daylight I can't imagine they'd love getting burned 'alive' during the day."

He returns the hamster to a pocket, and begins lazily juggling a ball of eldritch energy shaped to look like fire, eyeing the wonderful supply of tinder around him and stifling a yawn.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Leet Master Ace's Avatar
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2018
RPXP: 807
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace
Posts: 816
left-aligned image
Rivers of befuddlement flood Vixen's mind as all of her companions, whom she feels like she's known for WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE to CeeJ, Dooli, and Tomplumover a year despite only having been traveling with them for a few days, come marching into the coffin make's shop along with two new faces. Endria's embrace does nothing to calm her increasing emotional instability at the reunion and information dump, paralyzing her in place and keeping her from returning the hug as tears start streaming down her face onto Endria's shoulder.

"I...I thought you all left us...left us in this awful place...here. I'm so...um...so..." she struggles noticeably to form the correct term, deciding to reword her statement, "well it is good that we are all back here together now," *sob* "to...to deal with this new threat," *sniffle.*

"And you...I saw...I mean, you were...you were sleeping in my room this morning. I'm so sorry that I," *hiccup* "don't recognize you. What...whatever do you mean I fell?"

But when the coffin make makes his revelation, Vixen manages to regain enough control of herself to agree with Nowhere's suggestion. "I think Nowhere speaks true. What's, umm, what would be stopping us from simply, well, you know, simply opening the erm, shutters upstairs? Or, pardon my language, blowing a hole through the ceiling?"
__________________
Eat L33T!

Necromancy ruins boss fights.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Seravok's Avatar
Seravok Seravok is offline
Alchemical Acquaintance
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-01-2020
RPXP: 3229
Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok
Posts: 2,658
Henrik's Response
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colotan
... "They...who are they? What creatures do you speak of that would sway you to retrieve your dead from their eternal rest?" ... "I would be quick to do away with your vague babble and speak more clearly. Who will attack and when is this feast!?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew
"How many of them are there? What else do you know of their nature. Leave out no details. They could mean the difference between our deaths and theirs."
As Henrik is asked these questions, he begins to worry and perspire "They're spawns. Vampire Spawns, I'm sure of it! They look well equipped, similar to you lot. I'd bet they were sent by Strahd himself. Come to think of it, Lord von Holtz could have been a clever disguise, but I can't be sure. I've never met the nobleman before, and I haven't stared Strahd in the face either!" Henrik becomes more concerned about his situation, and the events that may take place in a few moments. "Look, the other door beside me, it leads upstairs, but be careful. I've been instructed to keep out of the area, I haven't been upstairs in over a tenday! Who knows what they've done up there, and I couldn't handle them at all on my own. You lot, you might swing the balance against them." As Henrik was talking, he retrieved a small brass key from his chest pocket and slowly unlocked the door beside him. An audible click could be heard from the key's turn, and the door became unlocked. Henrik dares not touch the door after that, he slinks back and sits upon one of the hap hazard display coffins, and his sunken face distressed by the events to come.
OODMThrough the door that Henrik unlocked is a stairway leading up to the 2nd floor. At the top of the landing you find two doors shut, one on the left, and one on the right. The landing at the top of the stairs reaches the furthermost outer Southern Wall.
__________________

Oath taken
DM:
Curse of Strahd
Icewind Dale
40k Armies at War
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Zinrokh's Avatar
Zinrokh Zinrokh is online now
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-19-2020
RPXP: 3296
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Posts: 1,218
Heinrich von Reinhart
left-aligned image
It would seem that town is a den of sin and darkness much in need of the Lord's righteous judgement.

Heinrich walks purposefully to the door. He stops before it halting the party. He looks to Henrik "I will deal with you later." he threatens.

Heinrich then turns to address the group. "I would agree with the devil-kin. Burn them out, force them into the light of day." He gestures to the coffin maker, "This sinner's property was forfeit when he treated with devils and defiled holy relics for the sake of greed."

"But we can not risk the destruction of st. Andral's bones. If they are the ward against the Devil they must be retrieved and returned to the church before this devilish plot can bear it's wicked fruit."
.

OOC
 

Last edited by Zinrokh; 03-15-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 PM
MrCeeJ's Avatar
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-06-2020
RPXP: 1912
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Posts: 2,386
left-aligned image
Colotan
Colotan's eyes rolled up towards the ceiling above, as if attempting to looking straight through the floorboards. He agreed that burning the building would be the most efficient method to clearing out the spawn dwelling there, but he knew it would also incite panic in the town if they did so. Before following Heinrich up the stairs, the shaman stopped and addressed the fearful man. "What can you tell us about what we are about to face? How many are there and are they all assembled together?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 03-19-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Dooliwong's Avatar
Dooliwong Dooliwong is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-31-2019
RPXP: 1840
Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong Dooliwong
Posts: 2,283
left-aligned image
Devil-kin

Nowhere enters a sudden moment of clarity as he hears the jab, the exhaustion of the day fading briefly.

"Right, " he says, turning coolly smoldering eyes to Heinrich, "At least father time here is on board with the plan. Last I checked, bones tend to survive structural fires, magical ones even better. Though to be fair, it's been..." Pausing, the warlock counts backward on an opened hand, mouthing the numbers as he does, "About four tendays since I last conducted such an...experiment... so who knows, maybe the rules governing the properties of the multiverse have changed since then." An annoyed shrug ends his outburst as he turns away from the walking museum.

He casts a watchful gaze to Endria as she continues to dot on Vixen. The older woman seemed to have a penchant for Vixen, and given the short amount of time she had been around, it only served to cement in his mind that she truly was unique. Making a concerned mental note about her lack of memory from her fall, he waits patiently for the others to ready themselves.
__________________

Last edited by Dooliwong; 03-19-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Formatting is hard
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-18-2020
RPXP: 9206
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,189
Vallaki
left-aligned image
Bartholomew
Bartholomew did not like seeing the group bicker over a course of action, something of a rare occurrence with the party.

"I do not think lighting a building on fire in the middle of town will endear us to its residents. Do not forget,
this is a fortified and militarized city. It will be us in those stockades or worse, in a noose, if we set their home on fire."


The paladin then turned to the old coffin maker. "As for you, I trust you less than any in this endeavor nor do I believe your feigned regret."

Bartholomew is then upon the old man,
Dice STR:
1d20+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
attempting to
Dice advantage:
1d20+4 (20)+4 Total = 24
stuff him into one of his own coffins.


oocNot a good first roll, maybe someone can 'help' to grant advantage.










 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; 03-20-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Leet Master Ace's Avatar
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2018
RPXP: 807
Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace Leet Master Ace
Posts: 816
left-aligned image
With downcast eyes dripping with tears, Vixen remains mostly quiet as her group argues over the situation, still somewhat awestruck that she hadn't been abandoned after all and curious about the two new individuals Bart had arrived with. They seem somehow familiar, yet she cannot seem to recollect how or from where. Seeing the overall stress of the poor coffin maker rising fills her with even more anxiety which comes to a noticeable breaking point when Bart tries to shove the man into a coffin.

In a brief flash, Vixen's eyes go white, perceiving Bart's human hand as a black, gauntleted claw grasping at the man's neck, connected to a powerful man dressed in a suit of obsidian full plate. Upon snapping back into reality, she lashes out, grabbing onto Bart's left arm with both of hers, not in a hostile or aggressive manner but more a panicked one.

"Lord Bartholomew, please stop!" she cries out, more loudly than she has all day which amounts to about the normal volume for anyone else, "can't you see the poor man has been through his own hell already!?"

Bart can feel her hands shaking, as though attempting to challenge anybody in the group on anything is taking a serious toll on her. She makes a point to avoid eye contact, preferring to stare at the coffin instead as she continues, slightly calmer but still tearful and fearful.

"The Devil toys with the people here....don't you remember how easily he manipulated Lord Ismark right in the heat of a crisis?" *sniffle* "Imagine how much more damage he can cause, disguised and in a calm situation...how awful..."

She leans forward, her forehead touching Bartholomew's shoulder pauldron, and sobs.
__________________
Eat L33T!

Necromancy ruins boss fights.

Last edited by Leet Master Ace; 03-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Arthilian01's Avatar
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 is offline
Chaotic Good Red Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-05-2020
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Posts: 10,380
Endria Bolstorf:
left-aligned image
Endria
Endria reaches out a hand towards the Paladin as well, but short of putting hands on him, "I am with Vixen on this, Bartholomew, Just like the boy, he is just a pawn." She looks into the stairwell, judging by the direction and layout of the downstairs, she attempts to imagine the layout of the upstairs and how best to use it to their advantage. She would see that the Coffin Maker doesn't get roughed up too badly, he may be deserving of some punishment but it would seem he has already met sufficient punishment.

OOC:
 

__________________
-Oath of Sangus ||

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Zinrokh's Avatar
Zinrokh Zinrokh is online now
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-19-2020
RPXP: 3296
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Posts: 1,218
Heinrich von Reinhart
left-aligned image

Heinrich fixes the women with a look of disdain. “Are you deaf to this man’s confession. He was not starving, nor in need. He sold himself to the service of evil out of greed.”

He approaches the coffin maker menencingly before help actionstriking the man in the stomach with the butt of his crossbow drawing a sharp hiss of breath from the heretic. He offers a nod to Bartholomew in support of his actions.

“Let the paladin do his righteous duty, for he is far more leanient than I would be to this heretic and traitor.”
Heinrich proclaims calmly.

.

OOC
 

Last edited by Zinrokh; 03-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB