RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32180
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
I love the TT function too. It makes my dwarven fighter's posts (in MG's other game) a lot easier for some people to read.. I include a 'translation' of everything she says in a TT.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24262
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
I love the TT..

I cleans the game up and allows one to put the roll's in line with the text.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6850
Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf
Yes, I'd use it for rolls too, except that I edit posts so much for grammar and typos (I'm a bit OCD like that), so I'd be editing dice posts. Besides, I like to roll before I post so I'll know if I should roleplay out being either particularly bad or particularly good, but I guess with some rolls that doesn't matter.

Last edited by Thamewolf; 05-11-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
With the upgraded to version 4 of DNDOG the integrity of the Dice Rolls have been fixed.

If one edits the actual roll, one will get a message that the rolls have been messed with.

Dice Roll:
1d20 2

Last edited by Embrodak; 05-11-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
The above post I put a Die roll and edit it.

This post will have a die roll that I delete.

You will see a message saying I messed with it.
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Embrodak; 05-11-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
It is up to the DM ultimately if they allow us to post the rolls in the game thread (with Spoiler buttons or TT) or if they want a separate dice thread.

I personally do not like having to reference the dice thread. I prefer to just put it in the post so you can see it first hand.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32180
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Clever way to get all your low rolls out.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27027
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
I'm all for TT'ing rolls. The Dice Thread is just an old preference.

Having them right there in the post without cluttering things up is good to go.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
老龍

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4420
arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrodak View Post
You will see a message saying I messed with it.
Ooooo. I quite like that. So, it looks like you can tweak your prose after the
Dice To Hit:
1d20+10 (20)+10 Total = 30
die's fallen without inadvertently fouling your prior rolls? And, I suppose it follows that you might add an additional new roll, a second roll for the
Dice Critical Hit Confirmation (Added Later):
1d20+10 (7)+10 Total = 17
critical hit, e.g.
Yeah, even better! Now those among us given to endless tinkering with the turn of a phrase needn't be so concerned about the un-amendable die cast posts up the thread. Good feature! I've tinkered with this post about a half dozen times without breaking anything.
================================================== ============================================

BUT, does the system know when and which rolls are deliberately
Dice Edit:
1d20+10 (19)+10 Total = 29
fouled? Ooooo! It does. But, is there a secret cache for the DM to see what the earlier erased roll was ... just to hold the dastardly die cheater's feet to the smoking coals? Well? Even if not, this is still a significant improvement in my view.
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by arguilios; 05-11-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf Thamewolf
Yes, I know some DM's still don't trust editing posts with rolls but most do. My main problem is that I have a personal preference for knowing how I roll before I roleplay it out. It's a compulsion I have. I like to roleplay my actions to match the rolls. For instance, in my 4e game I play a bard whose magic works with rhyming songs, so if I roll really poorly, I like to come up with a really bad rhyme to go with it. With perception and sense motive and such I might consider TT'ing the rolls though, as there isn't much variance in describing the actions taken.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Yeah, I'll leave the dice thread up for those extenuating circumstances.

I like to handle When fighting things that are a pretty low challenge, I'll also typically let the players go on a warpath chopping/blasting outclassed enemies into itty bits.combat 3 rounds at a time in PBP to prevent it from taking forever. The players just RP three rounds of attack attempts or dictate their actions for 3 rounds and I post a summary. Obviously this can be slowed down when things get hairy and the dice thread could come in handy when making dozens of rolls in these situations.

But, back to handling rolls: As long as they aren't hogging the screen, I don't mind how we handle them. If hiding them all under a spoiler button is your style, that will work too.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ahh, I see... I've never done combat that way but I could get the hang of it. I actually like roleplaying all my strikes. You might think from what you've seen so far that I'm more of the puzzle-solving, dialogue type player, but I also like roleplaying out action descriptions-- they let us really choreograph our badassedness! Of course the current character will be doing more along the lines of spellcasting unless he's cornered. Speaking of which, umm... I'm assuming you'll coordinate it so that I'm not killing the party with my fireballs? When you have area effect spells it becomes kind of important exactly what people are doing.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
I'll be working on an update tonight and tomorrow! If you've anything you'd like to say or do before the rest of the expedition arrives, have at it! Hopefully everyone will return from vacation, school, and work commitments to get things back into full-swing soon!

(I suspect all of the games on the site have slowed to some extent...)
Old 05-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Heh, yes, it would be interesting to see a graph of the general traffic patterns on the site
Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
I'll be getting a game post in later today.