RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > OR Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Poll Comics Poll Comics
Fall Court: current story

A people struggle to define themselves in a land faced with an apocalyptic decline. Who are the Fall Court? What choices will the people make when faced against an unavoidable doom? These are the stories from a world faced with its own mortality. Your votes shape the final days of humanity.

The pilot episode for the project (which ran from 10/30/2015 to 2/10/2016) is here, but knowledge of it isn't a prerequisite. All poll answers are written to be potentially interesting. Answers to the bonus questions are amalgamated, so even if something is suggested that doesn't fit in the larger world, there's a good chance the underlying themes or details might still work their way in.

This story is set ten years prior to the pilot episode. The gender of the red-haired character is intentionally ambiguous. While most of the setting hasn't been defined yet, medieval gendered norms are canonically thrown out the window. Stories may contain violence and some mature themes.

Update Schedule

Legal side and Public domain characters

About Me

VOTE: What regional conflict does this scene introduce?
A// A mysterious and deadly illness
B// Raiders from the Deep North
C// Restlessness of Nature Spirits
D// Emergence of an Apocalyptic Cult
Bonus: Danger looms and the captain of the knights looks concerned. What person or ideal does he think is worth dying for? Describe them/it.

And we're off! Here's to makin' something cool that none of us could've made separately. Thanks for joining!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM
Truculent Troubadour

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17633
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
C// The nature spirit's awareness of the approaching tribulation precedes that of the humans and most of the Order.

BONUS: Very little is worthy of his complete and selfless sacrifice but he holds a few things to such ultimate personal value: 1) His children. There is little that a father, as devoted to family as he, would not do to protect and safeguard their lives. He would sacrifice his oaths, his honor and even his life for them. 2) His King. There was never a more loyal knight. He is incorruptible in service to the sovereign excepting only his children. Should he ever be made to choose between the two, he would be in crisis. 3) Finally, Bacon. It's the food of the gods and the Captain is known to love the porcine delicacy. It is a joke (never told to his face) that he would trade his soul for a perfect rasher of crispy, dripping, sap-cured, sweet-wood smoked, thick cut, sizzling hot deliciousness.

Become a Community Supporter.

Last edited by Black Jim; 03-01-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Anime boxer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara
B) Raiders from the Deep North. The northerners are venturing farther than their common territory of action. The order is investigating this strange case.

Bonus: Civilization. The captain thinks that without law and organized hierarchies there is no way that civilization can survive and he fears that the raiders are going to destroy the world as he knows it.

Last edited by Tojara; 03-01-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Poll Comics Poll Comics
I've tabulated the results and will be starting to write/draw the next installment! I was hoping to have some sketches finished by now, but I'm from a state that had caucuses this weekend, so that ate up a fair amount of time. The next installment should be up on the 14th!

New votes are still welcome- they won't change the broad strokes of the next installment, but they can influence the details (esp. the results of the bonus question). The biggest internal conflict for the Captain, based on results so far, is whether his understanding of the Order's faith calls for him to fight against the apocalypse, or accept it as a part of a divine plan.

Quote:
(Also, may I ask where experience points are to be spent?)
Right now, the EXP are being used as a way to loosely calculate pacing. I gave our character 5 exp for every vote in the first story. In DnD, that'd put us at about 3rd level- so I'm using that as a rough estimate for the kinds of challenges the characters can face. Ha... that said, using exp to buy in-story perks might be an even better use for them, but I haven't developed a system for it yet.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Poll Comics Poll Comics
Poll Results

Bonus Question

Reader Comments

Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Poll Comics Poll Comics
Retcon: I accidentally attached the wrong version of a page. Page 2 of the last installment was supposed to have text- mostly character development and a few setting details. The correct page is here:

Poll Results

Author Comments

Reader Comments

The Victim isn't as innocent as we previously thought- they are involved with a rival cult. What is the Victim's immediate fate?
A// Escape. The Captain dismisses Red's claim. He has the knights administer last rites and bury the freshly undead body.
B// Capture. The Captain isn't entirely convinced, but agrees to bring the corpse along. If it does rejuvenate, they can interrogate it.
C// Coup de Grace. The Captain takes Red's assertion at face value, but decides a more direct solution is appropriate.
Bonus: The person who tortured and killed the victim is watching from the shadows. At best, they're an unhinged vigilante. At worst, they're from one of the cults. Who are they?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6350
Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk
A) "Legends have no place in the real world"

The person watching is the victims brother, who being a member of the same cult thought his brother's faith was waning and put it to the test.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Poll Comics Poll Comics
As an aside: Scheduling has made me switch to a simpler art style. I think it works fairly well for the story, though, so we might run with it for awhile. I want to give a special thanks for voting on the last installment. One of my bigger mirrors seems to be down for the count- the forum has been offline for two weeks and counting- so the votes on the other mirrors have that much more weight.

Poll Results

Author Comments

Reader Comments

The brother of the victim is watching the unfolding scene. What were his last words to the victim?
A// "This world is ending and I'll be the one dancing in its ashes. This is your last chance to join me, brother."
B// "There is a battle coming and we have to prepare. There is no time for weakness, brother."
C// "This is what we wanted, brother. I know it hurts, but it'll get so much better. The pain goes away. All of it."
Bonus: Describe something about the brother hiding in the shadows that is visually distinctive.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Poll Comics Poll Comics
It's a short update this time, as explained in the author comments (instead of ending on the new mystery character talking, it seemed more appropriate to end on their appearance- I've been under the weather and the dialogue just didn't feel like it was working).

Poll Results

Author Comments

Reader Comments

Which character should the next chapter focus on? Selecting more than one option is encouraged.

A// Red, the occult expert
B// the skeptical Captain
C// the allegedly undead victim
D// the tattooed cultist
E// the legend of Arthrus the Undying