RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > OR Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

View Poll Results: Which system will you play in Outplay 2016?
13th Age
11 8.94%
Call of Cthulhu
5 4.07%
Cypher/Numenera
3 2.44%
D&D 3.5e
12 9.76%
D&D 4e
1 0.81%
D&D 5e
31 25.20%
Fate
1 0.81%
GURPS
0 0%
Mutants & Masterminds
3 2.44%
Pathfinder
36 29.27%
Shadowrun
3 2.44%
Star Wars
6 4.88%
World of Darkness
11 8.94%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38222
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
We need your help to pick Outplay game systems!

(also known as Which of these game system options will you actually apply for if we run it in Outplay 2016 this summer?)

It's that time of year again!

When the sun is warm, and the grass is beginning to turn green, a young gamer's thoughts turn to... showing everyone just how awesome of a player they are. What did you think I was going to say?

That's right, Outplay 2016 is right around the corner, but this year, we want to know; what systems do you want us to run? Would you apply if there was a Pathfinder division? Are you 5e all the way? Would you prefer to play 4e, or Mutants and Masterminds, or GURPS, or Basic DnD?

Vote here, in this thread, April 13th through May 1st, for what systems you'd like to see in this Year's Outplay - the applications for which will open on June 6th, by the way. (We'll spend May trying to find GMs for the odd systems we weren't expecting to run.) Keep in mind, if we can't come up with a game master and three judges, we can't run a niche system bracket. Sorry, but volunteers are sometimes hard to come by. Applications will be in June, with a two week window to create and post your character before the judges have two weeks themselves to deliberate. Outplay in-game posting will happen in July and August.

Mark your calendars, this year is going to be a good one!

If you would like to see a system being run this year that you don't see in the poll above, or I've left out a clarifier (like Shadowrun 4e vs 5e), please post it as a reply to this thread - you're not limited by the options I posted here, these were just the most likely ones that we came up with based on current Games Seeking forum advertisements and last year's poll. The following have been requested or mentioned in the thread below:
  • Original/Basic D&D
  • Old World of Darkness
Also, as each player can only compete in one bracket, please only vote for your favorite bracket! This doesn't restrict you to which brackets you can apply for in June, but it will give us a more accurate idea of how many people are interested in the different systems.

For your rule of thumb: eight applications for a system bracket means we will try to make it happen. Seven is no good.

New to Outplay?
Outplay is an annual player-focused competition that pits groups of players in a double-elimination-style tournament together against common sorts of challenges a player might face.

And the 0th round works a little differently, and tackles the most important (and on a site like this, most common) challenges a player might face: creating an interesting character. This year we will be making round zero anonymous, so don't worry that your name doesn't have the same pizzazz as some of the site dinosaurs. You'll be judged based on how awesome your character is.

In each of the following rounds, the players work together in a party of four to overcome the challenges the GMs put forward to face you - there are normally four rounds (in a predetermined yet secret-until-the-competition-starts-order): a combat challenge, a problem-solving challenge, and a social challenge. The final round since we've begun including multiple systems has been a pure roleplaying challenge, where characters from all systems find themselves in a multiplanar 'nexus' for a final showdown.

Last edited by Aethera; 04-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:22 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6450
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
I signed up for 3.5 but can do PF if there's an issue with judges or not enough contestants
Old 04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2709
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Similarly, I signed up for 13th age, but could do Mutants and Masterminds if there's an issue with judges or not enough contestants
Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Eternal Dreamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
Snarguffle Snarguffle
Basic DnD might be interesting to see.

Last edited by Snarguffle; 04-16-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
You're going to have to be more specific than basic D&D, Snarguffle.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Captain of the Fallen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 882
Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiksilv View Post
I signed up for 3.5 but can do PF if there's an issue with judges or not enough contestants
Same here

EDIT: Delayed posting due to work/family stuff during holidays. Posting will resume as normal 12/29.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 PM
in the damned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5062
Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned
Note: I voted for WoD, but I should have specified Old World of Darkness. Sadly my expertise is next to zero with NWoD. I'm happy to be a judge or player, but I likely won't have the time to be a storyteller. Though I would be more than willing to play and assist with rules and specifics of Pathfinder as well.

Last edited by Legioned; 04-18-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Werewolf of London

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14274
GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti
The whole "New/Old" World of Darkness distinction isn't much of a problem anymore.

Onyx Path recently announced that Chronicles of Darkness would be the term to encompass all of the "New" World of Darkness.

I don't know if it was intended for this poll, but World of Darkness (WoD) and Chronicles of Darkness (CoD) are indeed separate things, so I am assuming that the World of Darkness referenced in the poll is the "old/classic" one. It also may not pose much of an issue unless more people sign up for it.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 AM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the World of Darkness specifics. I know little to nothing about the system, and was unaware of this "new/Chronicles" change. I'm not sure if it will come to anything, but I will definitely check in once the poll closes on May 1 if there is cause for discussion/debate of the issue. OWoD or CoD, we'll need to nail down specifics in the next month, assuming we can find a storyteller.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5017
Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur
I am willing to play WoD, CoD, 3.5 and PF.
Well, if I am chosen to play of course.
A bit new about Outplay here.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25626
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
You're going to have to be more specific than basic D&D, Snarguffle.
I'm guessing this --> OD&D (BECMI) : http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...yclopedia&it=1
Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
As it looks like 5E (and Pathfinder) will be the systems at play. what can we expect for character creation rules. Customized Backgrounds? Race building? Unearthed Arcana?
Will it be acceptable to pull from Eberron or Zeitgeist?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
Anything with 8 or more votes will have an application thread, but will need eight solid apps (not just interested parties) to run.

I can't give you details just yet, JohnStone, those will be posted in June or potentially the last week of May, depending on our scheduling concerns.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 PM
in the damned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5062
Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned
Will those details include who is selected to DM or who can volunteer? So if I am to understand, there will be 1 DM, 3 judges, and 8 potential players of which only 4 can be chosen?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Nos defendat nostra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13505
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
That's a fancy logo, Aethera.