Game Thread Chapter 1: The Crossing of the Broken Sea - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Chapter 1: The Crossing of the Broken Sea

Perchold, Month of Peace, the day of the ParadeThe hull of the Badan "Beautiful Waters" almost flew over the glistening waves of the ocean as the Ilder Captain sat at the bow of the ship directing the two sailors and Jo'Seph the To'Ari. They were not carrying a heavy load and sat lightly on the waters as the wind carried them westwards.

It was a clear day, the view of the whole Perchold bay open to the men on the Ship. Supposedly they needed to pick up another at the far southwestern end of the city, a point that they could already guess at in the distance. Yet it took them over an hour before they neared the gravelly beach and saw a small figure sitting about waiting for them.

"Slacken Sail boys!", screamed Captain Thown, audible even to Raaz on the beach, surprisingly deafening to Jo'Seph. Being out at sea was good for the lungs, it seemed. With the sail lowered the fourty feet sewn plank ship lost some speed. The two sailors paddled to slow the ship down further, encouraging Jo'Seph to join in, before they jumped out onto the beach and helped run her ashore without damage.

The Ilder captain in his flamboyant Tricorn and long dark blue coat had remained standing on the bow of the Beautiful waters. He now extended a furry hand to Raaz. "Now whatcha waiting for woman! Ya can help shove us back out to sea and then we need ta be goin' right? Unless yous is not the one we be takin' to Purano, eh?"
  #2  
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 06:37 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
PirateRaaz smiled and helped push out the boat before jumping on board, "Pleasure to meet ya, thanks for allowing me to join ya on board."

The sea was cold, but refreshing against her legs from sneaking so much lately. As the boat pushed back into the sea she stayed back and out of the way.
  #3  
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'm glad to be hear as well....I'm Jo'Seph…"

The Lizard warrior doesn't seem like he has much to say or knows what to say...
  #4  
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Sea South of Perchold, Month of Peace, the day of the Parade"Charmed I'm sure." The Captain smiled a crooked smile and shouted some more commands as the two professional sailors took care of the sails, with the occassional help of Jo'Seph, who seemed to have some familiarity with ships.

As they made their way southwards through the bay of Perchold soon the city became just a small stretch of grey far behind them in the distance. The sea was treacherous here, as even Raaz could see. In many places formations of rocks juttet out of the choppy waters, and ahead of them they all could see the bay narrow to only a few miles of width. As a consequence the larger ships going the other way seemed to all follow the same course, a long procession that may or may not have been the only safe route through the bay for the larger ships.

Their Badan did not lie as deep in the waters apparently, but Captain Thown still seemed very concentrated as he navigated a course parallel to the main shipping lane. Sometimes he would eye a dark patch of sea suspiciously, barking a sudden command at the man on the tiller to rip it into this or that direction.

"So yous not a sailing gal, right?" Thown asked Raaz after an hour or two, while they were passing through a seemingly less dangerous bit of ocean. "Usually every man on my ship works - might have ya have a go at the tiller soon." The Ilder threw a glance back at Jo'Seph. "You seem capable, you could also take over for a bit later on. Now something else that either of you could do."

With a nod he had one of the other sailors pick up a bundle from under one of the benches and open it slightly. It held crude wooden javelins. "These are shallow waters we are using - but we be makin' better time than if we was curving around the big Junks on the main lanes. Downside is, way too often we are going over where Cruyt live and breed. Ya know the giant monsters? Can't really tell when they might take offense and come swimming up trying to crush us. So I need at least one of yous to keep an eye out, and possibly log a spear at them to make us too much of a hassle to target. Any Volunteers?"
  #5  
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I might be able to fight them off if they try to board, but I'm not as good with thrown weapons."
Jo'Seph takes out his sword and begins walking along the rail, looking into the sea....
He doesn't quite know what to look FOR, but there is no harm in checking...
  #6  
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 09:45 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
The last few hours had been chaotic as she swung and duck out of the way, gaining her sea legs, her sea stomach, and an idea of how the ship worked. Whenever she thought she understood something another motion happened or someone else jumped in. One thing she had noticed was despite the chaos, the ocean was beautiful.

She felt her cheeks heat up even though it wouldn't be seen beyond her fur, "I've never been on a ship before. I tend to be good as a lookout though. Can try my hand at the javelin but I've never used one before. I'll do whatever ya need from me though to earn my keep, within reason and my capability."
  #7  
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Sea South of Perchold, Month of Peace, the day of the ParadeCaptain Thown shook his head lightly and chuckled. "Nah, if the Cruyt be jumping on deck we'd be done for... usually they just try to break the hull. If they get lucky and they sink us they'd just rip us apart in the waters, which is why we want to be as unappealing a snack as possible."

The Ilder shrugged and looked over to Jo. "So that fancy sword will do ya no good right now - but you can take the tiller if you feel your aim is off. Jofri, Lagesi! On the javelins!" The Uxian sailor waited to hand over the tiller - if Jo'Seph agreed - before he and the Argali settled in the middle of the boat with Raaz. As it was the To'Ari could watch the sea from either position.

"Whasat you got there lady - that a sling? Reckon doesn't much matter what you chuck at the Crabs.", inquired one of the Sailors as they drifted further south. As a matter of fact everything was peaceful for at least another hour, until they arrived at a narrower bit of sea. It was not yet a proper strait, but more constricting regardless.

The Captain outlined what they should be on the lookout for: "Aye so this be a bit that can be dangerous. What ya need to look for is white eggs amongst the rocks, that's their nests. Holler if you see anything like that. You'd not be likely to see the bright red buggers themselves until they decide to swarm out and protect their eggs. We're just lucky they are not blue or purple like they sometimes are up north."


OOCRoll for perception next please.

Just to outline how far you've travelled and where you are now I included a little map for you below:
 
  #8  
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 03:15 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
She nodded at the comment about the sling, "Easy ta hide, not much use outside of the city though I'm sure. I'll haveta look for something new in the future. I'll keepa eye out though for ya."

Uncomfortable situations made Raaz's natural accent was starting to take over, especially hearing the lazier speech of the shipmates. Pleased to have something to keep herself occupied, Raaz walked up to the front of the ship. Glancing out at the sea she could see the land from afar, and kept an eye out for rocks and white eggs amongst them. With something to focus on she was able to push down the slight sea sickness that she had since she gotten on this ship.

OOC
Dice Perception:
3d6 6, 1, 3 Total = 10
  #9  
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph stands ready with his sword out...
He tries to keep his legs spread to compensate for the shifting of the deck.
He watches the water around the ship for anything trying to board...
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 2, 3 Total = 10
check to see if I notice anything...

Last edited by Ericg1s; Jun 12th, 2018 at 07:24 AM.
  #10  
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Sea South of Perchold, Month of PeaceSince it did not look like Jo'Seph was in the mood to take the Tiller and steer the ship the job remained with Lagesi as they sailed on - with everybody else watching the waves.

Not a long time passed until Raaz and Jo'Seph saw the pill shaped eggs of the Cruyt amongst the black rocks beneath them in the shallow sea of this strait. At first the Captain had calmed them, assuring them that only once they saw the colourful shell of the aquatic monsters would they need to defend themselves, and that they might be left unmolested. Nonetheless, the Argali sailor Jofri grabbed one of the javelins and urged Raaz to ready her sling or also grab one of the throwing spears.

"Cruyt!" The multiple red shapes moving through the waters were impossible to miss as they appeared from the jagged rocks and darted after the boat. Hard to say how many there were, but both Jo and Raaz guessed at least five. The Cruyt were still thirty yards away, yet closing the distance shockingly fast even with the ship sailing away rom them at a reasonable speed. If not deterred they could be hitting the hull in half a minute easily. Jofri shouted a desperate warcry and threw his first javelin, grabbing for the second even while the first was still traveling through the air.


OOCRaaz could get around ten shots from her sling away in that time, but for our sanities sake you can just roll five attacks - Damage not relevant. If you want to grab a Javelin instead you'd roll at DX-4, also five attacks.

Jo'Seph could still go and grab some Javelins to throw, but let's say he can only let three loose since he still has a weapon in his hand and is standing a few steps away from the javelins.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 13th, 2018 at 03:21 PM.
  #11  
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 04:57 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Raaz, realizing that the sling wasn't going to do any damage, she wondered if she could distract them at least and shot a few peoples over to the far side away from the ship in hopes it would trick them into going away from the ship. Instead of aiming at the creatures, she shot 2 shots over away from the group to see if that would attract them. If none of them moved away, she'd aim for them instead.


OOC
Dice Attack:
3d6 6, 6, 4 Total = 16

Dice Attack:
3d6 3, 2, 6 Total = 11

Dice Attack:
3d6 6, 4, 5 Total = 15

Dice Attack:
3d6 2, 5, 5 Total = 12

Dice Attack:
3d6 6, 4, 3 Total = 13
  #12  
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will try to throw one or two spears at the Cruyst as they approach.
He is not at his best with spears, but it is a ranged attack...
Unlike the previous fights with the thieves, he makes no attempt to hold back, although he does not drop his defense.
He will return to his sword as the enemy storms the hull, because that is his best weapon.
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 3, 5 Total = 10
attack 1
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 6, 2 Total = 14
attack 2

If either attack hits, let me know so I can roll damage.
  #13  
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Sea South of Perchold, Month of PeaceEverybody was busy firing whatever they had at the deep-red shapes coursing through the water towards the boat. Even the Captain lifted one side of his heavy overcoat and pulled out a small crossbow, but only managed to get a single bolt away with the time it took to get the weapon ready. Luckily the murky shapes of the crab people were large enough to be hard to miss.

Raaz sent her stone missiles flying first away from the Cruyt, yet it did not seem like any were taking the bait. Most of the other pellets she sent their way hit them square in the shells, with at least one veering off to find safety between the rocks again. Jo'Sephs first Javelin also struck true, instantly making a red blob beneath the waves dive away for cover. With Jofri the sailor also throwing spear after spear they were soon only looking at two murky shapes in the water rushing at the boat - which was still two to much.

With a splash and a bone-crunching sound the Cruyt collided with the underside of the boat, sending everybody staggering around on the unreinforced deck. The impact had been directly underneath Raaz and she was sent falling to the floor beneath one of the benches with a few sprays of water erupting from around her.

Yet the boat sailed on. After the shaking had stopped enough for everybody to find their footing again they could not ´see any red shapes in the waves around them. The bad news was that the hull was leaking water. "Damn the Eyes of the gods - get the buckets!" Captain Thown had jumped up on one of the benches and was rummaging for some wooden buckets to shovel the water out from the deck, passing them around.

"We'll make it to Rhizou if you just keep it up!" Thown himself was also using one of the buckets to keep the water level from rising too much and sinking them for good - but the ship was lying deeper in the water than anybody could find reassuring. As everybody kept working at it they all at least had the comforting sight of land far away to either side of them to calm them down - even though swimming through these Cruyt infested waters was a terrifying thought as well.


OOCRaaz gets 2 HP damage from falling over - which should be gone in a day or two naturally. I'll make a note of it in case you decide to start a fight somewhere.

Please give me a HT roll each - to see how well you cope with a few hours of swinging buckets heavy with water.
  #14  
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 05:21 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Sea Life is Not for MeThere hasn't been this much physical labor in a really long time. When it came to her type of workout it was more sneaking, slowly and being as quiet as possible. This was a whole new set of skills and her body was hating her for it. Could she go back to the sling?

13, goal was 10Her arms were screaming with each bucket full of water, and she prayed someone else was making up for her lack of strength.

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Jun 13th, 2018 at 05:22 PM.
  #15  
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 5, 2 Total = 13
HTH Roll
Jo'Seph will try to bail out the hold with the buckets...\
Hopefully, they can keep the water level from rising too high until the ship can reach a safe place to go ashore
The crab people are causing trouble, as always...
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB