Game Thread Chapter 1: The Crossing of the Broken Sea - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Sea South of Perchold, Month of PeaceThe next two hours were full of back-breaking work for everybody. While Lagesi had bound the Tiller and was busy caulking the crack in the hulls plank with some oakum - the tarred fibre that was produced out of rope too worn to be used for anything - else the rest were trying to slow the water filling up the boat while it drifted southeastwards.

Jo'Seph was coping well with the strain, but by the time the waterlevel inside the ship started to actually go down again it was up to Raazes chest - making the work that much harder for her specifically. The Captain had worked a bucket himself for a little while, but after the first hour had taken over the steering of the ship to lead them closer to shore while assuring the landlubbers that he had absolute faith in Lagesi fixing the hull in time.

By the third hour it was clear they could keep up with the water trickling in through the greatly reduced leak until they reached Rhizou, where they could make more permanent repairs. "Ah she'll be fine - we'll need to replace the plank tonight and tomorrow one of yous keeps the tiller while my men sleep."

With a furry hand Thown pointed towards a platform that had been erected on a seaside hill. On it a great fire burned already, the black smoke rising visible against the red sky of dusk. "That's up above Rhizou - just a little further now."

Lo and behold the Captain told the truth, and just an estimated hour or two later - the sun had already completely disappeared to be replaced by the bloodmoon - Raaz, Jo'Seph and the captain were sitting around a greasy table in one of the three only taverns of this bleary small town. Evidently it was were few sailors stayed for long, unless they were forced to by circumstance like those surrounding the 'beautiful waters', spending their coin in more exciting cities. But it was still a frequent enough stop for traders and the like for the port to be oversized and a few of the larger trading houses to have branches dockside.

As Captain Thown nursed a small mug of ricewine he seemed less than happy with the situation of being stuck here, but he regardless tried to entertain a conversation with his two passengers. "Say Jo - heard yous become a hero in the big city and that's why they paid me to take you across to the jungle - that true?"

And turning towards Raaz he smiled a sly smile before speaking again. The Ilder was well worn out from swinging the heavy wooden bucket for five hours straight. "I already knows you gots some friends - and I'm to put you in touch with them in Purano. But a word of advice, there's other players over with the Slugs too. The Snakes is not doing so hot there, so you'll have to be careful."

OOCJust for the record: Raaz loses six and Jo one fatigue point(s) - only to be healed by a good nights sleep. But I guess you won't beat up the town anyway.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I got into an unusual battle back in the city. I don't quite understand what I was fighting myself....Perhaps it was some sort of magical projection of a mad wizard's mind, a shape which exists only in the caster's dreams. There were some rather unfortunately mutilated victims which I would rather not speak more about...I wish I could forget the whole matter."
Jo'Seph finds it painful to dwell on what he has seen....
Perhaps the hospital will be a dead-end...
It's at least worth checking out...
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 05:20 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
TavernRubbing her arms she sighed and looked up at the Captain, "Good to know, got someone I should speak to particularly to make sure I don't put my nose where it doesn't belong?"

Taking a long swig of her drink she stretched her stiff back, wishing for a comfortable bed and to cuddle with her new coin. The food was decent, and filling, and the ale made her happily numb, "The right word to the right person could do a lot for a newcomer to a city."
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
A Rhizou Tavern, Month of PeaceCaptain Thown frowned at Jo'Seph as he relayed his experience, obviously having assumed he would get to hear some minor tale of heroism. "Aye... maybe you should really try to forget that then." Briefly he was at a loss for words, his attempt at light conversation clouded over.

"Well, us sailors are plenty superstitious, but can't say I've ever seen any Magicks meself. Plenty of strange things about though I tells ya. So anyway, whatever you have to do ... do it all quick like and then get yourself some other job." With that he turned to his fellow Ilder for a second and smiled weakly. "If yous stick together maybe the snakes can get a place to stay for the both of ya - and a job to boot"

He leaned towards Raaz with a slightly conspiratory look on his face. "I was going to put you in touch with them anyway, so you don't get snatched up by the wrong people. From where I be standing, and I feel like you will agree with me in time, those bad people are the "Ahriman". I don't know what the word means, but it's Uxian, and the name of a group that deals mostly in murder."

Captain Thown nodded solemnly and looked briefly over at Jo. "Goes for the both of yas - when you hear Ahriman it's always bad news. And these days there is real bad blood between them and the Snakes."

The taproom was mostly deserted by now, which is why the Captain seemed to have no problem to talk freely about what Jo'Seph could only assume were not exactly legal organisations. The Captain sighed briefly before continuing: "Anyway - a large number of people including the lowest street rabble are at least loosely affiliated with either of them. Some people try to stick it out on their own, but they usually end up in the crossfire. Only few free cities have only local talent working there, and Purano is not one of them. The only other big player, not in numbers, is called the "Open Eye". They mostly trade information to the Free Cities, playing them off against each other. Sometimes they might be havin' work, the Snakes don't mind, I know that for a fact. You should be alright with them to start out with though."

OOCI'll leave it open ended in case either of you has more questions. If you want me to jump forward just signal it to me and I will. I will jump to Cruyt immediately from here, and that will basically be the cutoff for droobles to give me a sign of life. I'm not holding my breath though, so from there I'll most likely jump you forward straight into Purano.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 07:54 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
PotentialConfirming the two organizations she could get work on had Raaz excited for the potential of the new city, even if she wouldn't know it as well as she did her home.

Perhaps with some time and a little walking around she could jot down some tricks and quick get aways in case it was necessary. Many sneaky types may not be too open with their secrets, especially the ones that let them go by undedected or disappear into the shadows. A plan was made, "I appreciate the information. And I will consider Jo'seph here as a roommate, I have, suprsingly, I had quieter roommates then this chatter box." her joking manner was obvious. Honestly tonight was the most she heard him talk since they met.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I'm just glad we made it to a port where we can get repairs."

After a moment....
"If I don't have much to say, it's because there is a lot on my mind that I am afraid of saying too much about. I have stumbled into something magical I don't understand, and I have no idea who I can trust with my knowledge. Once the festival is over, I hope to have learned a little more, but who can say about magic?"
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 09:30 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Raaz"I didn't mean tell me ya life story, so calm down. Just meant each time we "talked" you said two words then ignored me. It was a joke, anyways." she took a long gulp of her ale before ordering another. People were so senstive these days.

It wasn't like she was going to go around advertising what got her on the ship, and here this guy was just getting snippy with her for making a joke. Looking back at the Captain she pressed the bridge of her nose, "Let me know if you need any help in the morning or when you know when we leave. I think I'm going to retire for the night."

oocok with moving on
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Rhizou to Cruyt, Month of PeaceCaptain Thown cleared his throat as Raaz was getting up, touching her arm to stop her before speaking again. "Yet another word of warning though before ya leave us. What I said is all that I know, but it's most likely not the whole truth of it. I only learn enough so I can conduct me business of trade. Right then - good night" The Ilder Shipcaptain remained for a little while after that, finishing his drink and food thoughtfully before himself turning in for the night.

The next day the ship was indeed repaired as promised, and the two sailors looked slightly worse for wear after having spent most of the night working on it. So as was promised as well Jo'Seph and Raaz had to step in working the Tiller while the sailors slept for an hour or two, with the Captain instructing them inbetween plotting the course, which was not a hard thing to do considering they stayed within sight of the coast at all times. There were a few tense hours after they had rounded the tip of the island and were cruising through shallow waters again, with everybody worrying about another Cruyp attack - yet luckily it never came.

After the few stressful hours of watching the rocks beneath shallow waters the rest was smooth sailing, and in the early evening hours they arrived at the Cruyt Port. Raaz and Jo'Seph were asked to help unload some of the goods that they were carrying, hopefully still intact after the water had breached the hull, before they were informed that by noon the next day they would set sail for Purano. Before leaving them to their own devices for the evening the Captain assured them there were no Cruyp to fear on that journey.

In the inns and taverns of the bustling town mercenaries of all sorts and a few soldiers were rubbing shoulders as they traded the newest gossip about wars and other things that meant employment for swords for hire. It was quite a change for both Raaz and Jo'Seph to be in a town that was so focused on martial endeavours and little else, which is why they called Cruyt "the city of a thousand swords". The reason for it all was that the kings of Taytomac had ever been paranoid about letting unaffiliated armed men into the capital, and so it was decreed long ago that no mercenary company was allowed into Perchold in full force, which is why they gathered here. In turn the local nobility had to increase their own defenses as well for fear of being the way in for an invading force conceiled as mercenaries. Either way, even during the Parade neither Raaz nor Jo'Seph had seen so many well armed fighting men in such a short time.

The news on everybodies lips tonight was a peculiar one: Apparently the far away Skink Kingdom of Djeba had been taken over by a lone Pirate Captain going by the name of "Jolly" Kaeso and his Crew. Originally the Royal Family of Djeba had assured their immediate neighbors that Kaeso was a guest of theirs via strangely worded letters, but months later - weeks before today - a servant had made his way to the borders of the Bahaurth empire, informing them that they actually were hostages, and that he had fled.

What the news meant for the world nobody could really say, but the Hired Muscle was sure that soon their services would be needed in some capacity.

OOCA bit embarassing - I had accidentally called the Crabpeople Cruyt like the town, while they are called Cruyp. Bit silly considering I named both things, but we'll survive.

Cruyt is a busy town, so if there was anything you think you'd need for the journey over you could get it here. Provisions and water is already provided. Anything that you don't need immediately for your character you can just later get in Purano, which is a much bigger town anyway.

If there is nothing you want to buy or do we'll move on immediately. The news about Djeba is a bit of a little bit of news on the side which may become important at some point in the future, but feel free to inquire a little more if it interests you.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 18th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Jo'Seph simply tries to avoid getting drawn into any fights.

If he can get away with it, and it doesn't cast too much, he will try sleeping in a room here instead of on the ship....

Might overhear more rumors like the pirate matter, and also gives him a chance for a change of pace.

If the ship can't be repaired soon, he will have to find another way to reach his destination...perhaps the road...
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 08:51 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Raaz She nodded toward the Captain, and headed off to bed. In the following morning she felt rested though her muscles hated her even more than before. Wanting to tour the city a little bit before the Captain was bound to come and get them Raaz decided to go buy a bow and some arrows before she left for the town again. She also wanted to buy some new clothes, since the quickness of her having to leave town meant she wasn't able to get some changes of clothes.

Actually she wanted to buy a few essentials that would get her through the next few weeks, as well as a few books to keep her entertained on the little down town she may have. The trip to the market didn't take longer than an hour, and she came back with a filled pack with some gear and essentials.

OOC
Dice Merchant:
3d6 5, 4, 3 Total = 12

Just buying a bow and some arrows, two changes of clothes, a black cloak, some hygiene essentials, 2 or 3 books (fiction), and if there's any better armor then that as well. If not, then that's fine. Not sure how many rolls you wanted me to roll.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Cruyt, Month of Peace - Later: At SeaThe Captain pointed both Jo and Raaz towards a comfortable and cheap inn near the seafront that he himself frequented when he was in Cruyt, telling them that they would surely get a discount if they said they were working for him. As Jo'Seph retired he found that it was nearly free.

Raaz meanwhile scouted the markets and shops that were still open for the equipment she desperately needed - a change of clothing to account for the humid heat Vinione was known for, essentials and and some more martial equipment like the bow and additions to her set of armour. The entertainment in prose that was available were short Gettan mythological and heroic tales, some pergaments of which she acquired, forgoing the epic poems of considerable bulk that were supposedly popular with the nobility, and in turn with everybody that had money. All in all it set her back 600 pieces of gold, but her backpack was bulging now.

The next day after a hearty breakfast everybody gathered at the 'Beautiful Waters' again. The Badan had been already loaded with goods that they would be taking over to Vinione, leaving nothing to be done for Raaz and Jo'Seph but to get aboard and help the crew set sail. Ten hours later they had rounded the Horn of Cruyt and were out on completely open sea, a novel feeling after having sailed comfortably close to the shores for the first part of their journey. They all had started to settle nicely into a routine of alternating between manning the tiller and resting.

When night came around the Captain studied the stars for a while, seemingly sure that they were on the right course. "Two days at best until we see the shores of Vinione on the horizon, a week if the winds are against us. Longest it ever took me was a fortnight.", was something Thown mumbled to his passangers as he adjusted the direction they were sailing in.

The Night was colder than Raaz and Jo'Seph were used to. The Sailors also seemed to be slightly cold, and one of them pointed out that far to the north there seemed to be a bank of fog illuminated in red by the bloodmoon. "Strange that - but won't hit us. Usually we only get banks like this in the wet season. Cold too." Just as the Captain had said it a violent wind rushed over the boat, threatening to tear the sail. The sailors scrambled about trying to lower the sail, and Thown shouted at the passengers to cut this or that rope for fear of having the winds break the ship apart with their force.

OOCYou can all give me an IQ-4 roll ( or Crewman (Seamanship)) roll to see how well you are helping. Dragonqueen I've detailed the equipment in your private thread, but also see your new sheet.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 20th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 05:25 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RaazAfter a nice night of rest and a heart breakfast Raaz was put to work back on the ship. In her bunk she organized her stuff, trying to make it all fit in her bag without bulking too much.

Slowly she was learning more and more about the ship life, asking one of the crew members to teach her about general boating and things that she would need to know about being on the sea while she tried to make herself useful. Though ultimately she tried to stay out of the way.

OOC
Dice IQ Goal 11:
3d6-4 (5, 3, 4)-4 Total = 8
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Dice Roll:
3d6-4 (4, 3, 3)-4 Total = 6

Jo'Seph tries to keep the ship under control following the captain's orders....

This could get bad, but they can probably survive.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
At Sea, Month of PeaceThe roaring wind would not relent as the crew and passengers battled with the sails and the rigging, loosening up some things while tying down others to present a more elusive target to the elements. With combined force they managed to lower the sails before they were ripped or the mast damaged, thankful that they would not have to resort to rowing to get where they wanted to go.

Jo'Seph fared well enough, only receiving a few bumps and bruises along with severely roughed up hands from working with the ropes. Raaz in turn had been knocked about a lot more. The cross-piece of the mast had hit her multiple times in the head and back before she learned to anticipate its now free movements, she had extreme rope burn and had even been whipped out into the sea once - fearing to be separated from the ship until Jofri the Argali had jumped into the black waves with a rope tied around his waist to rescue her. More so than anybody else she was tired, beaten and cold by the time they had fixed up the ship to withstand the storm.

For the next few hours there was little else to do but to hunker down while the storm and ocean toyed with their boat as it pleased. Steering would not have made a difference right now anyhow. By the time the raging wind stopped all aboard had almost forgotten what it meant to be dry and warm.

With the stars the Captain Thown determined that they had been blown off course a great deal, but would only lose a day at best. His prediction proved to be true when four days later the coast of Vinione were visible through the morning mists. "Aye, there it is. All jungle now though, Purano is behind a bend that way. Closest city would be Shali somewhere over there." At this distance neither Jo nor Raaz could see anything of habitations the Captain supposedly pointed out - it was all green like the jungles Vinione was known for. "We'll be making good time now, tomorrow afternoon I will drop you off. What'd ya plan to do then my friends?"

OOCI'll just stop here briefly in case you might want to plan ahead and to avoid a too long post.

Since there is ample time to heal lost HP I will just tell you the damage that you will still have by the time you step off the Boat: Raaz will have one HP damage, Jo'Seph will be all healed up. Neither are well rested though, with five fatigue damage to be healed only by sleeping on dry land.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 20th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 06:51 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RaazGroaning she leaned against the pole in the center of the ship, "Sleeping off this trip...maybe boats are not for me..."

Her whole body hurt, and she just wanted to sleep, "Otherwise, just go find out some more about the people in town, and what my options are. Did the guy who contacted you regarding a ride say anything about a return trip? I wasn't sure how long I had to be here for."

Not that going back home right now would be the safest option, though she would like to know if she could at least return and grab the rest of her stuff.
Closed Thread