Game Thread Chapter 1: The Crossing of the Broken Sea - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I should visit the healers and speak with them. After that, I don't know..."
Jo'Seph is vaguely relieved that the trip is coming to an end.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:33 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano, Month of PeaceCaptain Thown first turned towards Raaz and scratched his furry chin. "Aye well - sure they will get you a ride home as well if they've a use for you back there. If they think of callin' on me again it will have to wait though. I will be setting off for my usual trading run that I do this time of year. Vinja, Yepac, Haze-Lo, Hetmon, Poyne and Taytomac - it should take me the rest of the month of peace and well into the month of Harvest. Sometimes the whole of it. I'm just glad to be home before the rainy season starts in full."

Under the ship they could see that they were really entering coastal waters again, yet the lightness seemed to suggest that there was only sand beneath them - no cliffs between which Cruyp would hide their nests. Thown was studying the sandy beaches they were passing as they rounded the headland behind which Purano supposedly lay. "If ye ask me they will probably try to put you to work on Vinione for a bit. You're an outsider, which is bad for some jobs but quite practical for others. Snake hospitality usually comes with a price - and while ye can surely refuse them without fear of harm they might not be in a rush to sponsor you a ride home if you did. That's why I'm my own man and mostly honest..."

The Ilder turned towards Jo'Seph then and nodded. "Not sure which healers you be talkin' about, but you can ask your friends contact about it. They'll know about what's happening in town, and be likely to have a place to stay for you."

The conversation tapered out after that, which was just as well because soon after the city came into view. It was unlike Perchold. Where there you had rugged cliffs making the town defensible against the sea but also squeezing it together here the urban area had spread out over miles along the sandy beaches which turned into brick quays and wharfs of various sizes where the river parted the city in two. The buildings were of all different sorts of sizes and shapes, from tiny clay hovels squeezed together at the outskirts to towering multi story buildings in the centre. Even the most desolate houses seemed to have some sort of decoration about them. At the very least there were bands of blues or orange running along the bricks or mortar, with the more prolific buildings having glazed tiles hiding the brickwork.

As they neared the riverside port they saw many buildings with ornamental or even figurative friezes running around them beneath the roof and even full statues on top or embedded in alcoves set into the walls. On Taytomac this kind of flamboyant opulence was reserved for the nobility or religious leaders, yet even them rarely made use of it this outwardly. Perchold was built around a fortress, defense and war foremost in the architects minds. In turn for the merely rich it was considered in very bad style to decorate their houses outwardly in these ways - although Raaz and Jo'Seph were quite aware that inside someones home they were free to revel in any kind of beauty they preferred. Not that the people associated with had much money for that kind of thing.

They passed the Arches of Adin, a towering structure atop the bridge over the river Pur closest to the Ocean, to dock on the northern side of the city. In the distance they could see terracing Ziggurat that housed the local Government, the tallest building in all of Purano save for a strange round tower slightly to the south of that monumental edifice.

After they unloaded the goods the ship held the Captain dusted off his jacket and waved his erstwhile passengers over. "Aye Friends. All left to do for me is to send you off to your contact, then i'll get drunk as an eel. What you want to do is to walk down the pier and then take the first large street right, then third to the left and you'll be hittin' the "Flute and Diplomat". That be a Tavern where you'll find Naja - small Beefella'. Can't miss em' honestly."

OOCSorry, quite large post - had to stop somewhere.

Fun fact - I've decided that there are only six months of around sixty days on this world (not little due to the fact that I did not want to name twelve months), so the amount of time the Captain is describing is around 60 to up to 90 days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 07:36 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Jo'Seph gathers his things and disembarks. He can probably find the Flute and Diplomat. Looking for Naja shouldn't be a problem once he gets there, but what will Naja have to say? More importantly, what will he find in the hospital?
He does not draw a weapon, but he makes certain he has all his weapons with him.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Raaz
Raaz smiles at Captain Thown, "Captain, it has been a pleasure. I thank ya for the experience, the knowledge, and the ride. I wish ya well on your journey through Peace and Harvest."

With that she waved by to a few of the crew members that she had befriended, then to the Captain before disembarking. She scanned the crowd for Jo'Seph, though she knew he was way ahead of her and she had no intentions of running to catch up to him. Instead, she strolled through the city, keeping his directions in the back of her mind as she peered beneath her cloak at the sites.

It took her a bit longer, due to her strolling, and she had lost track of Jo'Seph, but she had made it to the front of Flute and Diplomat. The next chapter of her story was about to begin.

OOC
Dice Perception:
3d6 1, 5, 2 Total = 8

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Jun 23rd, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano "Flute and Diplomat", Month of PeaceAfter leaving behind Captain and Ship Jo'Seph was the first to find the Tavern that they had been sent to, walking straight down the streets of this strange new city without any stops or detours. It turned out the Flute and Diplomat was a Bodega of sorts, a narrow staircase leading down into a small underground taproom barely illuminated by a few slits serving as windows high up, in addition to the murky orange glow of two lamps.

Immediately Jo saw the small Beelike Person sitting on the counter sipping on a small tin cup - almost the size of its own torso. Apart from the one he sought there were two Drakkarn guests sitting at a corner table and an Uxian barkeep behind the counter. The Apiarian turned towards Jo'Seph as he approached and listened to his explanations. "Right - so you're not Raaz then, but with her? Yeah I know the Free Hospital. It's not too far from here, but people don't like to go there. I heard they take the pain away alright, but they are not the best at curing their patients beyond that. Also they are too preachy for my liking - well for most of anyones around this quarter really. Still, a lot of people that got desperate enough to go there and pulled through have joined their little religion."

The Apiarian stood up on the Counter with a clicking of her many feet upon the wood and leaned towards Jo'Seph, her insectoid eyes reflecting the light in peculiar ways. She spoke quietly then, yet did not actually whisper. Neither barkeep nor the two guests seemed very interested in their conversation anyway. "So I reckon you need a place to stay then? Well - I might give you the same deal as I will the Ilder. You can set your own affairs in order, but if you want the room I have to offer I'll need you to help me out as well, right?"

Raaz meanwhile had taken a more casual approach to strolling over to the Flute and Diplomat, arriving a quarter of an hour later. Yet she had taken in more of the sights of the portside city. Not looking for anything in particular she had noted that the quarter where they had docked was dominated by warehouses and places of large scale trade - as was to be expected - and that moving northward she had entered a busy place of many craftsmen of any variation. Nestled in between the shops were the houses of proprietors and customers alike, all looking relatively well fed but certainly not decadently rich. But since the walk from dock to the Tavern was not very long she walked down the stairs into the murky dim light confident that there was still plenty to see this side of the river.

As Raaz entered the Bodega Naja jumped down from the counter and flew over to the entrance with a faint buzzing of her translucent wings. "But you have to be Raaz now, yeah?" The Beelike creature studied her for a moment, her thin hands smoothing down her stained tunika nervously.

Upon affirmation Naja calmed slightly and led the Ilder to the counter where Jo'Seph was still waiting. "I told your friend already - I have a place to stay nearby... would be big enough for the both of you as well. But I could do with a favour in return, yes? Yet your companion Jo here tells me he wants to check out the nearby peoples hospital first. Not that I know why - but you may as well do that and have a little stroll around the quarter. I'll still be here afterwards."
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:32 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
RaazShe smiled at the bee and noffed her head, "Aye, I am Raaz." nodding to Jo'Seph she continued, "Seems neither of us are seaworthy and it was a rough trip here. I appreciate the offer of a place ta stay. Before i go ta look around, I gotta ask what the favor is. I just want a drink while we talk though."

She walked towards the bar, debating on if she wanted a drink. Ultimately she decided an ale would be delicious despite the hour, and ordered one from the barkeep.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"I'll come back after a brief visit to the hospital then."
Jo'Seph heads off. A hospital is not the type of building which would be hidden or difficult to find or reach...
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano "Flute and Diplomat", Month of Peace"Well yeah, just head northeast then. After you cross a larger road start to ask around. We'll still be here." Was all Naja told the suddenly departing Jo'Seph. The barkeep put down the wooden mug filled with ale in front of Raaz before freshening up the Apiarians small tin cup with some liquor. Naja took another sip and then leaned up towards the Ilder. "Right, the job. Not sure I should tell you until after you agree though..."

The Bee rubbed the top of her chitinous head with and exhaled a thin whistling sigh before continuing regardless. "Well, you're not from here, so it probably won't do any harm. So you'll surely know that it's festival season - but what you probably don't know is that there's a few bigwigs from abroad coming in to take part. Tomorrow they will hold a big show at the Ziggurat with the ambassadors, diplomats and the whole city council. It's open to the public as well, but obviously the important people will be cordoned off from the rest. Anyway - just so happens that I may be able to get someone in there as an attendant to listen in to all the diplomatic chit chat. Since nobody knows ya nor that you're with us you'd be perfect. That something you could do?"

Purano North of the Flute, Month of PeaceFor a while Jo'Seph tried to head in the direction indicated and hit a slightly wider road after fifteen minutes. Upon questioning a local he was informed that he was too far west, but that if he turned right he would be going the right way again. Ten minutes later he hit a crossing, a place that seemed to be as good as any to ask again for the hospital.

"Ah that place - what'd ya need that for? You look healthy enough, might change if you visit that rotten house. If you must know, you just continue on and go past the bathhouse and the big gambling den - there you turn left into the backalleys. It's there wedged into the courtyards, and the neighbors surely wish it wasn't."

OOCSorry for taking so small a step - I did not have a lot of time to write something more extensive.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Jo'Seph heads past the bathhouse and the gambling den. He looks around the back-alley for the hospital.
He wonders why people call it rotten-could this not be a legitimate hospital, but a front for something else?
Somewhere in the courtyards, he hopes to find what he is looking for...or at least a clue....
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 12:43 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RaazRaaz nodded along and thought for a moment, "Seems easy enough to do, do a job, listen, come back with info. What are we talking payment wise?"

Overall, she figured payment would be either them fronting her a place or maybe some exta contacts. Even coin would be nice, but not asking would just be the potential missed opportunities.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano "Flute and Diplomat", Month of PeaceNaja titled her head to the side as she studied Raaz for a few moments. Before she spoke again she lifted up the tin mug and took a sip of the clear spirit. "Board and Lodge. So don't think you'd be working for free, nobody loves that. From what I've been told by our brothers on the rocky Islands you should be flush with cash right now anyway. Yet if you have something particularly juicy for me afterwards I may be persuaded to toss a bonus your way."

After setting the mug back down again she shook her torso gleefully with the feeling of the strong alcohol and wiped her mouth. "Don't take it the wrong way - but I don't know you yet either. Before you can get the big payday you need to prove yourself all over again, right?"

Red Moon Hospital, Month of PeaceWedged into the space behind the buildings described there was a rectangular square of stomped earth, in the middle of which a man-high brick wall surrounded a narrow but three stories tall ramshackle building without windows. It was put together of what appeared to be collected and re-used building materials, mostly large pieces of stone, cracked bricks and lots of mud mixed with crushed rocks. As such it seemed liable to break down at any moment and leaned dangerously to one side.

As Jo'Seph stepped towards the building he became aware of the mouldy rotten smell of sickness in the air, barely contained by the wall surrounding it. A few well worn benches had been placed in front of it for decrepit looking figures dressed in rags and yellowish bandages to rest on them. Some of them were obviously mangled with missing limbs while others just appeared tired or bent. Above the door there hung a bronze sickle intersected by the shape of a sightless eye - the same that was on the brooch that Jo'seph had received from the Guard Commander in Taytomac.

A figure also wrapped in rags detached itself from the wounded to walk over towards the To'Ari, yet moving with the speed of the able bodied. Pushing back the hood of its robe the bronze skinned perky face of a human female was revealed, all of her hair including eyebrows shaved off. "Greetings Traveller, do you need Tannis to ease the pain?" The human looked Jo'Seph over inquisitively, probably assessing whether the was sick, and what that sickness might be.

OOCWith a merchant roll Naja might be persuaded to hand over some money upfront, or to guarantee a payment afterwards regardless of information procured.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"I'm not really in that much need at the moment, but I would like to speak with you. I have a few questions, for whoever has time to answer them. The most important question is the meaning of that symbol and it's history."

Jo'Seph takes some time to wait until someone can speak with him....

This might just be a hospice place, where the sick or injured rest and recover with their pain taken away.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 07:57 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RaazShe listened to Naja's comments and concerns and nodded her head, "I would take it the wrong way if ya trusted me instantaneously. I would consider ya to have a poor taste in judgement an' be concerned. I do plan ta make sure ya trust me before I leave this town though. I'll prove myself."

Raaz took a sip from her own drink and let the warmth wash over her, stretch her back after being slumped over for too long, "That being said, what I made previously is of no concern to anybody but myself. I'm a little annoyed that someone is telling fibs to people I barely know. I will work in exchange for the lodgin' and board, but only ask for a few more coins to cover any necessary supplies, after I prove myself of course. Ya do want me to fit in with the town, don'tcha?" she winked before taking a long gulp, "Either way, I'm in and ready to earn ya trust."

OOC
Dice Merchant:
3d6 4, 6, 1 Total = 11

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Jun 28th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano "Flute and Diplomat", Month of PeaceThe Apiarian chuckled a high pitched laugh briefly. "People can't shut up - that's the way it is. Although in all honesty it was only I that was told about your recent exploits, as a means to prove your capabilities. Since you are so reasonable you'll understand that I won't just house anybody for free. And then you brought a friend along. It reminds me though, d'you think he could also work the festival tomorrow?"

Regardless of the answer Naja briefly considered the question of cash payment. She mulled it over for a second, took another loud sip of her liquor before nodding her head slowly. "Yah well, I can guarantee you fifteen coins. That's what a dockhand makes in a day here, before having to pay for their lodging. No more though, we're not supposed to rob each other, remember?"

Red Moon Hospital, Month of Peace"Why, it is the sign of our god." The woman made a sweeping gesture towards the eye and moon. "He rose with the crimson moon and is watching the world at night. I thought you knew that."

Turning back towards Jo'Seph the woman smiled a toothy smile. "But I could answer any other questions you might have. There is not much history here I am afraid, we built the Hospital this year after me and others like me received blessed visions sent to us by Tannis. He gave us the means to ease the pain and suffering of the sick - so we do."

Her smile is replaced by a slight frown as she paused for a second. "Some shun us because we are not afraid to get close to those in need. They despise them. If you want to know more about the hospital I could also give you a tour?"
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Yes, I would like a tour. I would also like to hear more about those visions you had before you built the place."
Jo'Seph follows along and tries to take everything in. He will learn as much as he can and try not to act until he has learned enough.
Closed Thread