Game Thread Chapter 3: Purano and the Festival of a Thousand Petals - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:13 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
Tham, Approaching the gateTham followed behind the group with an agree nod when ever his coming along was ever needing confirmation.

When Nergui fell back to join him, Tham looked up with a, welcoming grin and nod, his stature shifting his staff from his shoulders to a hand in a trational walk-stick fashion. "Welcome to the back of the line. Its lonely but knowable in ways only the 'new' guy could understand." His tone was jovial and warm and sincerely enjoyed the idea of speaking to one of the personas that he'd suddenly joined.

Listening to Nergui speak, Tham gave a light nod. "I have engaged with humans from time to time. I think they are unnerved by keita. I think its the horn." he brings his staff the horn atop his forehead with a tap-tap motion. "My people have a history of being fantastically social with most entities." He paused a moment in thought as he tapped his chin with his finger. Considering more on what Nergui had mentioned he continued. "If, in the terrible break down of social capability, we have to fight... I am more than willing to engage in combat. It not a common past time of mine, however, it is wise to be ready to shake a mountain at a moments notice." Tham laughed, giving a smile that followed after a heavy, satisfied sigh. "I'm having fun already."

At the gate, the sense of magic caught the keita's attention. "Oh, more magic." he mused, mostly to himself as he made motion with his staff toward the gold symbols along the entry of the stone gate. with a relatively proficient flare, Tham place the staff in a heardned leather slot over the back of shoulder, freeing his hands.

He wasn't about to rush, especially since there was a set of guards blocking him from looking over the gold inlay atop the green surface of the gate.

"I don't want to step on this group's plans... What are the groups plans?" He asked casually.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Voitleja"We are to show the gem to those in the tower and learn what they know," Voitleja said absently, his slowed pace bringing him more in line with the other two member of the troupe. "But I have a concern. That..." The Seene paused to remember the name of the species. "That Raz'Ar seems to be looking at me with more interest than most. Am I correct?" He gestured subtly in the direction of the interested party. "I am sure it is benign, but I wanted you both to be aware."
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
AseAse noticed the difference between the young Seene and the older one immediately. What an exciting week. If this vision that we would meet here was true, what else would be? He smiled as he thought this and made his way over to the familiar form. His weary body shuffling a bit more than usual and seemingly trying to shrug the weariness out of his shoulders and shell.

By the time he made it over the Seene, he was serious and earnest. "Hello, my name is Ase Mondryss." He nooded to both then focused on the Seene "A few days ago I met another Seene, similar to you, in Gahi Bay. His name was Bomsyl, have you heard of him? He asked me to deliver a message to one like him I would meet near this tower. He said... Sorry, one second, don't want to mess this up..." Ase pulled out his journal and almost immediately to the correct page.

"'Tell the one like me that to ignore and shun the master of war and death is a childish thing we Seene do, unworthy of the gods. Tell him to bear his lot with pride and dignity.' Does that mean anything to you?" Ase's tone changed as he read the quote. Still his voice, but possibly taking on some of the cadences of Bomsyl.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Voitleja"I have not..." Voitleja responded to the question about Bomsyl, somewhat taken aback by the sudden introduction. That surprise was very quickly overwritten by shock at the quote, which seemed very specific to him. The Seene was silent for a long moment as he considered what the message could mean. Another Seene who foresaw his presence at this tower days ago. Assuming Ase was telling the truth, and Voitleja had no reason to believe he was not, that only made sense if the Seene was a follower of Saatus, god of Fate. That in itself was interesting, but the message itself...

Voitleja had not realized how much it would mean to him for another Seene to validate his worship of Tappa, even heard second hand through the mouth of another species. A sudden emotional weight fell in the pit of his stomach, and he swallowed in an attempt to clear his throat. When he spoke again his voice was slightly hoarse and strangled, although one who did not know him well would find it difficult to differentiate from his usual low tone and strange inflection. "Did he tell you anything else? Do you know where he was from? Where is he now?"
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano, Arcane Tower, Month of Peace"Who's this now?" Nergui had stomped over to unceremoniously interpose herself between the Raz'Ar and Voitleja, looking down into the face of the turtle with a stern face.

"A Raz'Ar, strange mysterious bunch the lot of 'em." Unbeknownst to any of them Rauthga and Pari had walked up the the group. Rauthga, an imposing looking Drakkarn with midnight blue scales and short horns tilted upwards also looked bemusedly towards Tham. "You seem to be picking up companions wherever you go Ja." Pari, the fleshy and serene looking Ux with a gnarly cudgel bound to her belt merely bowed slightly towards Nergui and Voitleja without saying a word.

The Tsing Goun Captain seemed annoyed by all of this nonchalance, snorting briefly before taking a step away from Ase and turning away. "We are wasting time. Voitleja, if you have something to discuss with this one here you can do it inside." With that she rushed off towards the guardians at the gates of the tower, who parted before her as if they had only been waiting for the Vulturewoman. The Group had little choice but to follow swiftly.

Inside they found themselves in a circular hall with an arched roof held up by many slender pillars decorated much like the gate outside had been. Two giant winding staircases and many small and large doors led from the imposing room. The group did not have to decide which exit to pick on their own since an Uxian Attendant that was tiny enough to be almost considered a dwarf rushed over and led them towards one of the portals while assuring them they were expected. Nergui did not question the notion and entered the room first before turning around to Voitleja. "While you sort out things with the Raz'Ar you can stand guard at the door. I'll fill you in later." The other filed into the room while the Seene remained outside with Ase.

Purano, Arcane Tower, An Office Month of PeaceTham was led into a small room that seemed to serve as some sort of reception area. Two Ux were seated behind a desk, with one Apiarian flying in the air next to them. The Ux to the left seemed thin and old for an Ux, with a wrinkled face. The Kohl around the eyes only emphasised the emaciated look of the robed figure. The other Ux was broader set and had a burned side of the face - a wound that had ruined one eye. He raised a pudgy eyebrow as Tham entered the room.

Nergui gabe the Keita a small nudge with an elbow as they stepped closer. "That's Zaqrah to the right, the other is Primarius Gamba." She whispered the words and indicated the Ux with the burned face as Zaqrah before she stepped forward and took out the gem to place it into the hands of the other Ux. The Tsing Goun Soldier was about to speak again then, most likely to explain Thams presence, but was silenced as Zaqrah raised a hand and motioned Gamba to commence the assessement of the gem. As she looked the stone over she smiled strangely and spoke, seemingly to no one in particular. "Finally. I see you brought some witnesses. As it happens I brought my own. This is master Bezra, who has a special sense for magical energies too."

OOCLongish Post, but I had to stop somewhere. Since there is not that much to do for most of the involved (apart from Voitleja and Ase to speak about their connection) I might move the scene along slightly quicker.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jun 29th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 01:03 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ase hurried along with the group of strangers.

"Now then... No he didn't say much about himself. Either unfortunately or fortunately, I caught him on death's door. There was nothing I could for him and we only had a moment together. All he wanted was to have this message delivered. He also said" Ase looked back at the open page of his journal "White is the first, Black the second, Blue the Third, Red the fourth. They are the elements of a cosmos divided and united, sprouting from the yellow earth. He didn't know who that message should be delivered to, so I'll tell you."

Ase put his journal away looked at the younger Seene. "I met him outside of Gahi Bay and he seemed old... ancient. He said he had a vision of a war-torn future and the only way to mitigate it was for you and me to stand together and not ignore it. He said if we do that, then there may be a brighter future. Does any of that sound familiar or right to you? What brought you here?"
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
VoitlejaThe Seene nodded apologetically at Nergui as she ordered him to remain outside, knowing that this was inconvenient but needing to speak with the Raz'Ar.

After Ase had spoken his piece, Voitleja shook his head slowly, doing his best to commit the messages to memory. "I do not know. The prophecies of Saatus are often difficult to interpret." He paused, considering exactly how much he wanted to share with this stranger. "It would seem this prophecy is not for a Seene to interpret, however. We cannot perceive color as you can." After all, if this disciple of Saatus (as a seer surely was) had trusted Ase, Voitleja felt comfortable doing the same.

"I am merely here doing a job. I work as a guard on a farm." On this, however, Voitleja was careful to be vague without Nergui around. "If there is a war coming, I know nothing about it."
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
AseAse scratched his bald head and rolled his shoulders to relieve some tiredness. "Interesting... So far this journey has been pretty straightforward, but I guess there is at least one more leg to it. I told Bomsyl, that I would try to do my part to bring forth this brighter future he described. Part of that was meeting up with you and carrying his message."

In earnest, and lacking any pride, the Raz'Ar spoke to try to impart the gravity of his message "It seems like you don't know him and therefore owe him nothing, and me as well. It also seems that you are working. I would humbly ask you, if it is at all possible, to take this message to heart, as I do. Do you think I could accompany you? Maybe I'll find the person for the second prophecy. You do not know me but I'm an itinerant teacher and traveler and am used to taking care of myself. So I shouldn't slow you down. Also, it can never hurt to teacher around." This last line he said with a kind of self-defacing smile.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 08:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
VoitlejaThe Seene was silent for a long moment as he considered the question. He enjoyed his current job well enough. He was good at it, he liked his companions and believed they liked him, and his strength and size made him feel useful. However, he had always known in the back of his mind that this would not be his place permanently. He had come out here to find his path, after all, and if that was his goal how could he ignore a message from a seer of Saatus?

"I would be happy to have you accompany me," he said finally, after a long period of contemplation. "But as you say, I am working. I should speak with Nergui when she returns." If Nergui said the teacher could tag along, that was good enough for Voitleja. If not... perhaps it was time to start thinking about moving on himself.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
AseAse felt a stir within him. A familiar one. One of finding new purpose... of a new direction to head in. Ase nodded. "I can respect that. I'll let you discuss with your companion. If you need to go inside and meet up with her, you can. I'll wait for your answer."
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano, Arcane Tower, An Office, Month of PeaceInside the inspection of the gem continued. Gamba turned the gem around in his hands a few times before placing it on the table and waving the Apiarian mage over. She flew over to settle on the tabletop and run her hands over the shiny stone while the Primarius continued to talk.

"See, fact is we have already talked with the human you have brought with you about the stone - after healing his wounds that is. Luck would have it that we had a linguist that spoke the language of his home country, the far northern Caerphy. Nothing but floating Ice from what I hear."

The Ux waved a hand lazily to dismiss the thought. "But I digress. What he told us is that out there in the middle of the ocean a whole monolith of this substance juts out of the waters, and that his people have occasionally chipped it to harvest the material. Supposedly it stores magical energy when properly prepared, to be used by whoever holds it. This... Gici had apparently carried a stolen stone of this nature with him to our lands, but until recently it had been broken, unable to accomodate new mana. May we?"

Gamba looked over to Zaqrah, who consented to whatever was about to happen with a nod. The Apiarian on the table put a hand on the stone and spoke a few quiet words as she flourished the other. A few sparks of light formed above the head of the beeperson and flew towards the ceiling before they vanished again. The whole room was quiet as the Apiarian put both hands back and the stone and seemed to concentrate. A moment later she gave Gamba a knowing look, and the Uxian Mage smiled a thin-lipped smile. It made Nergui frown slightly, barely enough for Tham to notice.

"So at least that part is true. Bezra here cast a minor cantrip, with all of the energy required coming from this stone. It's stored power is only slightly diminished, let me assure you. Just enough to be noticeable to an expert. There is a second thing to confirm though - that the stone will recharge itself from the mana in the atmosphere."

After handing the stone back to Nergui Gamba turned his full attention to Zaqrah by his side. "You can tell me tomorrow at the reception of foreign dignitaries. I have arranged you a seat on the viewing podium as a representative of Zai'Der interest. The rest of the Arcane Towers do not know we have talked about this Gem, so be mindful of that."

Gamba turned around to let his eyes wander over Tham and the Soldiers. Yet it was Zaqrah who spoke to them. "Evidently none of you can speak about what you have heard here today. I don't need Gamba to explain to me that this crystal is priceless. Captain Jebtsa, I will need to speak with you for a moment. You others - wait outside." The stout Uxian had looked especially sternly at Tham out of his remaining good eye as he said it. Rauthga and Pari led the Keita out of the room to join the others at the door.

There the whole group shuffled about for a few minutes talking quietly, anticipation suddenly in the air. Eventually Nergui came out of the office to join them. "Alright, first things first. Tham, after explaining things to Zaqrah he wants to keep you around. At the very least he needs you to keep your mouth shut. The rest: We'll be adding to the security of the festival. Ja, you'll guard Zaqrah with me. Rauthga, Pari - you'll be down keeping the rabble away. On second thought, Tham will be up with us as well - Zaqrah might need to talk to him."

After having delivered her first round of instructions the Vulturewoman turned towards Ase and looked down into his eyes. "And you. I don't know who you are and why you are bothering Voitleja. Then again you brought your own armour. You got a weapon too?" Nerguis eyes flicked briefly over to the Seene nearby. "If he trusts ya I may have work for you also. Same job really. I can't be bothered to go around trying to find more men today."

Last edited by Phettberg; Jul 14th, 2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
ThamTham, watching the Ux with a kind of wide-eyed awe, nearly drooled at the thought of their being a larger mass of this magical substance.
Keeping an eye on where the tiny stone was going and who's hands were fondling it at any given time, Tham noticed Negurie frown. He shook his head head after he and the others were being addressed. Listening intently he gave a knowing nod. His facial expression shifted to a blank stare when he was sternly looked upon.
"I Understand. It's a gag order. We are not to talk about the stone being able to not only store mana, but recharge on its own. Furthor more we likely shouldn't mention that in a place, somewhere icy, a large mountain of this stuff could or could not exisist…" his tone was light but confident enough to clarify.
Once outside the office, Tham let a heavy sigh of relief escape his lips. "So that was neat. Does this happen on the regular with this group?" He asked, looking about. "Y'know... Find a neat thing, then a powerful group tells you not to talk about it?"
He turned when Nergui joined them, he was about to greet him but was beaten to speaking.

There was some kind of confusion in his eyes. "So...am I able to talk or am I still on verbal stealth mode?"

OOCThat was a lot of info. To clarify the impression I'm getting. Is Tham specifically being silenced with emphasis or have I misread? Seems they really want to make sure he not open his gob. Which is fine, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right impression.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano, Arcane Tower, Month of PeaceNergui frowned her feathered brow again, mumbling the next words. "Of course you can speak to us. Just don't go on talking to your aunt Gerda or the guy selling you a sweetroll on the street."

She then shook her head lightly. "No, for most being employed by Pad Zaqrah is a mundane affair. You see, all of these people, save the Raz'Ar, are the household guard of the plantations he owns. They mostly keep thieves and savages away. I've been with him... longer."

As if remembering something the Vulture gripped her side, patting down her armour. "Well, I don't have my moneybag with me. But you will all get a bonus later - a little incentive to keep your beaks shut. We will sort it out at Zaqrahs townhouse, where all those of you that came from the Estate will have a place to sleep. Nobody try to renegotiate pay now, we'll talk about that after the festival."

Purano, Arcane Tower, Month of Peace - Still inside the OfficeEDIT:
The Vulturewoman had briefly whispered into the ear of the stouter Uxian - the one that Bezra did not know but heard was called Zaqrah - while Gamba folded her hands and waited patiently. Eventually the two strangers had discussed enough and the one called Nergui exited through the main door, while Zaqrah rose and after a bow towards the Primarius left through a side entrance, a certain familiarity about his steps - as if he had been here before.

Bezra was alone with Gamba again, who was seemingly deep in thought for a second before raising his voice. "Well - as you can see this is not a discovery to be taken lightly. In fact it is to my knowledge an unprecedented object. If there indeed exists more of this substance it could have severe consequences for everybody - but I don't have to tell you that."

With a slender grey hand she massaged her temple briefly before continuing. "I will have to bring this before the others - but do not let this become common knowledge. I feel some of our more ambitious colleagues might seek to somehow exploit said knowledge to their benefit. You experienced how competitive the Towers can be. Regardless - accompany me and the Primarii to the Festival tomorrow. It will give us a chance to have to inspect the gem another time. We will bring Qarra with us as well, to make it seem like we are parading the recent duellants. Are we in agreement?"

OOCTham can speak - he was just looked at strangely because at the time his being there had not yet been explained to the employer of everybody, which Nergui most likely did just now.

Yes, a lot of info in one post - I just wanted to keep things moving and combine the threads as soon as possible. If there are no in game questions or wishes that your characters have I might move the whole thing to the actual festival in the next post or two.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jul 6th, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
VoitlejaVoitleja was consumed his own thoughts as Tham came out the door, barely noticing the smaller creature. When he spoke however, the Seene was shaken out of his reverie and replied. "It is the first time it has happened to me, but I have not been with these people long." He implied from the Keita's speech that they were not supposed to talk about the stone, which was fine with Voitleja. He was unlikely to come across anyone he'd like to tell regardless.

He listened intently to Nergui once she emerged as well, some tension leaving his trunk as she spoke of Ase coming along. He had not looked forward to making a decision, and he was now glad he may not have to. "I believe he is trustworthy" he replied to the beaked woman. "One of my kind trusted him with a prophecy of our god. That is enough for me." The talk of a bonus interested him. He had never actually spent money before, but he was interested to try it. If Nergui was adding to the security and giving out bonuses, there must be some concern about Pad Zaqrah's safety. Voitleja straightened his posture slightly at the thought, unconsciously already preparing for battle. Tappa had been getting impatient, perhaps during the festival he could be sated.

Last edited by Gaekub; Jul 6th, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 361
Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius
After demonstrating the stone's ability, Bezra had attempted to stay unobtrusive, but her eyes had stayed locked on the stone the entire time. Finally, she sighed.

"Truly, the stricture of silence is even more for your own benifit than it is for ours. I do not know if you have any idea how precious this stone by itself is. I am no merchant, but I would not be surprised if this stone by itself, as a currently unique item is worth as much to some powerful mages as your farm."

She might be slightly exagerating, but the rush of being able to cast without cost was immense.

"You speak of the possibility of an actual mountain of this material, or that can be made into this. One would not have to be a mage to covet such knowledge. An entire cartel could be founded and maintained by a monopoly on such stones, but to gain that monopoly they would need to not only torture you to acquire every scrap of knowledge you might posess, but then make sure you, and any person you might have talked to dies."

Looking around, Bezra seemed to realize how much she had been talking, and hovered backward in embarassment.

OOCYou didn't give a specific capacity to the Power Stone, but I'm guessing by the fact that the drain was almost immesurable that it's not a small one. Adding in a rather large multiplier for a currently unique item, I figured it was currently in at least the "Dukes Ransom" category.

*In the Private Meeting*
"Of course, Primaris. This discovery, if it can indeed be replicated, will transform the working of magic. I cannot think of a single discipling of magic that will not be changed. We must be discreet, but if the potential for more such stones exists, it is definitely something the Tower should investigate."

She pondered a bit, and then diffidently spoke agian.

"If you would allow me to make a suggestion? If Qarra is to examine the stone as well, it might be best to speak beforehand to her master, and ask him to impress the need for discretion. I was truly shocked by the potential of the stone, and Qarra is most energetic. Especially if the examination is to take place in a semi-public place."

After another embarrassed silence, she spoke again.

"If Qarra is not to examine the stone, perhaps some honorable role in the Festival might be found for her? I do not wish to re-inflame the recent dispute by making it seem as though I am being honored preferentially."

Last edited by Sivartius; Jul 6th, 2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I didn't realize Bezra had left the room the others were in.
Closed Thread