Game Thread Chapter 3: Purano and the Festival of a Thousand Petals - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano, Arcane Tower, Month of Peace - Still inside the OfficeGamba smiled thinly and nodded as she rose from her chair. "We will have a look at the Stone before we join everybody on the Podium for dignitaries. I appreciate the thought, but Qarra is not likely to notice anything. I expect her to be dazzled by the important foreigners and bright colours. Numbed by the recent loss of a limb too. You can expect a minute of work and then a few hours of spectacle yourself. I would advise you to try and enjoy it."

Gathering all her things Gamba seemed like she was about to depart. "Mogh Daryush is also not likely to be present. His seniority would permit him to attend - but he is not interested in what he snidely calls Politics. Not unlike your former Master come to think of it. They liked each other well enough as far as I can recall. Do you wish to know anything else?"

Gamba was ready to tell Bezra where she needed to go and be the next day, but if there were more pressing questions the Apiarian had she would have to ask them while walking with the Ux, as she was not keen on waiting around any longer.

OOCAsymmetrical update. Eryzule & Vulco see here and to Gaekubs response below that post.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jul 6th, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 361
Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius
"If I ever find that there is nothing more I wish to know then I will know myself either a fool or dead, but I would not impose further on your time, and while the stone occupies my thoughts, I suspect the information I seek will be found either in the Records, or in personal study."
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
AseAse thought for a second. I don't have a real timeline to operate off of and Bomsyl told me that joining the group could be helpful. Until then, I'm just floating along. And it never hurts to get actual pay for an actual job.

While he listened with piqued interest to the conversation on the stone, he brushed off all of his immediate questions about it, to get to the job at hand first. Plenty of time for that later. "I'll help out. I have my staff here and a few tricks up my sleeve as well. By the way my name is Ase Mondryss, pleased to meet all of you." With this, he nodded to the group. "So what's the full story on this job?"
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Purano, Arcane Tower, Month of Peace - Outside"Easy now." Nergui glanced back at the door briefly before facing towards Ase and Voitleja again. "I don't know what the deal is between you and Voitleja - but you probably have heard enough already. As far as you know you are working security, right? We can put you up at the mansion, same goes for the lot of you."

Tham was the only one that had a home of their own in Purano, but it sounded like the invitation was extended to him as well. "Tomorrow we just make sure no drunks stumble on to the podium to bother the important people. So wash your clothes and brush your armour - we need to look sharp. Beyond that Zaqrah will have to decide what to do with us all. Might be we go back to the jungle, who can tell." Taking the stone with us, was implied. Those that were in the know about the meeting at the trading house and the private assessment of the Magus could probably guess that lugging something so valuable around in a city as huge as this was a huge risk in itself.

OOCAny questions or pc to pc talk you still want to get out of the way you need to get up before friday.

@Vulco I just looked over the last few posts, but as far as I can see Ase was not actually in a position to hear anything about the stone. He was outside with Voitleja. Just a detail though, he will have gathered that there is some important stone regardless, but not know exactly why it is important.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
VoitlejaThe Seene nodded, already going over what he could do for tomorrow. Sharpen and clean his glaive, certainly. Although he couldn't tell when something was 'shiny', he could tell when the metal was smooth and unmarred, which was pleasing to him. The same went for his baton, minus the sharpening. His furs needed to be brushed and repacked, maintenance he had been neglecting recently. Besides, it would give him time to think, as would the guarding job tomorrow. After a night's rest and some time in solitude, his future might seem clearer.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OOCGiven what's been going on, unless she's given something else to do in the mean time, Bezra plans to begin a cursory research in the library looking for anything related to stones that hold magical energy, until it's time to get ready for the festival.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
Tham
Simply, than will rest as he needs with his new group.
However, with the mention of security, he will male an effort to practice his ritual, earthy magic.
One can never be too ready to raise a wall in defense of his peers... or a mountain down among his goes. A thought that always helped.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano, Outside the Great Ziggurat, Month of PeaceThis was were the festival started in earnest. While the whole town had already been engaged in some level of frolicking for the last two weeks most people were looking forward to the extravagant spectacle that was about to start on the square surrounding the great Ziggurat.

Close to noon tumblers were already flying from stilts into the hands of other acrobats, while mummers with painted faces threw coloured powder into the crowds. Not one but three mighty Steppe Mammoths were stomping around the dusty field while firebreathers were dancing on their backs to the music of countless musicians that framed the crowd to either side. The restless onlookers had cleared a space for the dancing priests of Waja to swing their curved swords in their ecstatic ritual dancing.

Close to the base of the Ziggurat, where a broad stair ran up to the top of the terraced giant building, there had been a wide platform erected onto which the various important guests of the festival were already flooding. One of the groups climbing the stairs upwards included Zaqrah and his entourage of bodyguards, while Naja was instructing his two protégés not far from there.

In the Crowd with Naja"Alright guys, seemingly you have two very different jobs, but it's all the same really." The Apiarian was flying slightly above eyelevel to avoid being dragged into the moving crowd that was bumping often into Jo'Seph and Raaz. Both had received some new clothing fit to what their respective jobs would be - one a guard at the entrance to the platform, the other an attendant up above.

After turning to Raaz Naja put a small silken cap the colour of sand into the Ilders hand. "Last part of your uniform. They are already waiting for you. You just have to refill cups, right?" With all the commotion around it was easy for Naja to exclude Jo'Seph briefly out of the next few words she said. "There is one Keita attendant up there, she will point out to you who everybody is. Keep it casual though. And more importantly - keep your ears and eyes open on all the rich and important people, yes?"

Jo'Seph got similar instructions. "You just stand guard, make sure nobody that isn't important enough runs up on that platform. You'll get some money for it afterwards, and I might let you stay in the shack some more. Good? It's easy money." Thinking it over a second Naja added: "You may not know who everybody is that comes up, but they'll have tickets."

With that Naja sent both forward to climb the stairs up the platform. They were briefly scrutinised, but people seemed to expect them. Raaz was handed a tankard of wine and Jo'Seph was stationed up top near where another guard was checking the tickets of people having climbed the stairs.

Up on the PlatformZaqrah and his illustrous group of bodyguards had combined forces with the Triumvirate of the Arcane Towers before entering the Ziggurats Square. It was here that the Primarius Gamba had briefly detached himself from his two associates to walk over to Nergui, bringing Bezra with him, to quietly have Bezra and Tham the Keitan magic user inspect the Gemstone that Nergui was holding again.

The magical energies inside that had waned a touch after Bezra had cast a spell while holding it the day before had increased - reaching the original potency again. The whole inspection took only a minute, yet both Bezra and Tham were sure that the stone had regenerated most of its power before the procession advanced through the crowd to the Platform for dignitaries.

The three mages Gamba, Ley and Dalshed had preceded the Uxian Trader up onto the platform, taking Bezra and her erstwhile rival Qarra with them - in addition to the two Tsing Goun Bodyguards they had brought. Zaqrah stopped at the base and turned around to whisper a few things into Nerguis earhole. She relayed the instructions immediately while Zaqrah was already climbing the stairs upwards. "Rauthga, Pari - you stay down here. The rest gets to be up top - but behave." With that the Vulturewoman turned to walk confidently up the stairs.

OOCThe Post got quite long already, and while there is even more to come I had to stop somewhere. Then again maybe you have something you want to interpose anyway.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Much as Bezra wanted to spend hours examining the stone, discovering all it's limits, she resolutely refused to draw extra attention to it after the quick examination. The festival was fascinating, but not half so fascinating as the puzzle of unknown magical lore.

Being so much smaller than everyone else, she'd felt nervous in the crowd. Now on the platform, she looked out over everyone's heads, trying to take in all that was going on around her, as she silently pondered all the implications of the strange stone.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Jo'Seph is not certain exactly what just happened, but he takes a position and begins checking tickets and blocking the platform for people without tickets. Perhaps this will give him a chance to learn a little about what is going on with the festival and observe. The hospital is not a 100% dead-end, but the cult which runs it does not seem quite as depraved as the ones he has met. Then again, who knows what might be going on behind the scenes? No time to worry about that now-he will just check tickets.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:48 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
VoitlejaThe Seene followed Nergui a few steps behind, the stairs creaking under his bulk but holding. His furs, brushed and gleaming, were repacked into a pleasingly symmetrical wrap, while his glaive had been polished to a mirror shine. His 10 foot frame put him head and shoulders above even the tallest occupants of the stage, and he used this vantage to watch the crowd for any signs of a disturbance. Not spotting anything yet, he followed the Tsing Goun until she directed him to a spot to stand.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
ThamTham, distracted by the ever growing awareness that all the social activities were about, couldn't keep as focused on his initial desire to keep his magical edge. It's then he found himself with a great idea to make himself useful!
With a final flourish of the earth based ritual maneuvers, Tham quickly kicked up his staff and placed it over his shoulder into its leather sheeth.
Meandering casually through the people, often smiling and nodding to those he'd pass, he slid to join Jo'seph.

"Mind if I keep you company?" the Kieta asked, keeping his eye on the people that would pass, smiling with a nodding to them in acknowledgement while wishing them a good time.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
AseAse does his best fit into his new group. He watches and tries to emulate their bearing. He goes up top and does his best to be intimidating but not offputting... He’s not sure how well he does, but people seem to be giving him a bit of space. Off all the impromptu jobs and roles he’s had to fill as a traveler and teacher, he’s never had to work security.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Purano, Outside the Great Ziggurat, Month of PeaceAs everybody walked up onto the platform the festival was started proper with the masters of ceremony Mehrdi, an Uxian Councilman of the City, saying a few uplifting words before servants appeared up top on the Great Ziggurat and the roofs of the building framing the square to start throwing petals into the air from reed baskets. Red, blue, white and yellow petals of chrysanthemums, lilies, orchids and roses flew through the air to be greeted by hundreds of hands raised up towards the sky.

As the pedestrian crowd started to cheer and dance on the square below the dignitaries started to mingle. In addition to Mehrdi there were a handful of other Purano Councilmen and emissaries from the other free cities. More interesting perhaps were the ambassadors of more faraway places: There was a dignified and stern looking To'Ari come from Haze-Lo, who was mostly talking to the emissary of their close neighbors Hetmon, also a To'Ari. Possibly to demonstrate their inclusive yet comprehensive religious beliefs the southern Yepac had sent two Apiarian Priests who were dressed in cotton robes that hung loosely to below their feet, hiding most of their limbs as they floated in the air. Bazzro and Lutheya had their emissaries arrive at the same time as was often their custom - a female Keita wearing a wide brimmed bamboo hat and many layers of flowing cotton and a dark haired and tan human man. From further afar only Vinja had someone present, a withered Ux with his cheeks red with make-up and many broken veins around his nose and earholes.

Last to arrive was an entourage of Gettans, apparently from Taytomac. Two of them were pointed out to those that did not know: The smaller of the two was apparently Prince Tay to Wei, third born son to Selhua III. , King of Taytomac. This Prince seemed amicable, smiled brightly and wore flowing clothes made of fine embroidered silk. The stouter of the pair was Prince Eng, the second, a gloomy looking fellow that arrived in armor made of layered plates of laquered wood.

After the royals exchanged greetings with most of the more important councilmen the younger Prince veered off from his group to start a conversation with Aarz Ley, the Primarius of the Arcane Towers. "My good Mage, it's a long time since we last met in Lingte. How fare thee?"

Leys wrinkled eyes lit up briefly before he answered. "Ah, the young Prince. It's been a tumultuous few weeks, but I can't complain. I hope your days have been less exciting?"

Wei winked and stroked the long whisky beard that hung from the side of his snout. "Sure, nothing out of the ordinary. Save that somebody tried to kill me and blame it on my oldest brother."

As this exciting conversation was taking place the Human emissary from Lutheya and his Keitan companion had walked up to Zaqrah. "Say old bag - since when are you important enough to be up here? How much did you spend?" It was the human from Bazzro that was speaking so insolently. Up close one could see the braided locks of his black beard glistening in the sun, well oiled and cared for.

Zaqrah merely smiled weakly and slapped the humans shoulder before nodding at the Keita. His reply had no malice in it. "Anuk, you are a scoundrel as always. Parthyia, why do you associate with this rabble? It boggles the mind why you would be selected to represent your little rock of an island."

Anuk seemed unperturbed by the criticism. "Yeah well, you try running a country when thousands of dirty and unwashed northeners flood to your shores. They rarely move on either - we get the worst of it."

It was clear that by northeners he meant the humans of the northern continent, and Zaqrah agreed with a nod. "Time to discuss an exchange then - sad that you have little that Vinione wants."

OOCEven more exposition for you. I only gave names and described a few of the characters or the post would become even more bloated. Maybe your characters are particularly interested in some, then I'll detail it a bit more.

Last edited by Phettberg; Jul 17th, 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Jo'Seph remains silent and watches.
He will act eventually, but for now, it is best simply to observe the Royals.
Closed Thread