Game Thread Chapter 3: Purano and the Festival of a Thousand Petals - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse stayed close to Nergui. He wasn't a professional soldier and didn't have a command or army to help make an impact in this war, so he may as well join a company for now. Zaqrah's Irregulars. In his travels, he'd certainly heard of and seen different companies, mercenary groups and sells-words. Some were good, some were bad, but all went to where the action was. And that was where he felt he needed to be now.

He kept his eyes open to the crowd, trying to find any good recruits. He'd become a bit of a good judge pf personality. He taught indiscriminately, however he knows who to spend time with and who not to. Right now, with the bustle of the news, the energy of the town was up and the recruiting was obvious. Everyone was wearing their emotions on their sleeve and it could be told who would join and who wouldn't. In the next few hours, however, that was when you could convince some people to step up.

He stood straight, his shell adding considerable mass to his frame. It was obvious he wasn't war ready but he hoped he could do his part recruiting and display the feeling "If I can do this, then so can you".
  #62  
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:50 PM
DankDunken's Avatar
DankDunken DankDunken is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2018
RPXP: 165
DankDunken DankDunken
Posts: 29
The "Crupyhead"When that was finished he had a drink or two, talked with the locals and listened to a few tales, when the door flew open and a wizened To'Ari with the scaly skin the colour of sand stomped in. "I need at least three men who can captain a war galley. Hardy men, brave, to go to war north, but I need them now."

His proposition was met with a general wide eyed staring for what seemed to be a solid minute, before a few men lurched towards the To'Ari to ask a few questions about this Captaincy. Most turned away again immediately, but two or three seemed to be negotiating a little more in earnest with the man.


FrederickStill affected by his long travels, Frederick didn't quite register the To'Ari's remark at first, still idly sipping his brew. As soon as the words got to his brain and turned to meaning, his ears perked up I... I didn't expect another opportunity so soon, I know there's fighting going on, but when else has there been this much work for sailors?

Frederick saw the slowly growing and waning crowd around the man, and looked down at his drink for a second. I-it's been a while since I've been on a boat that's heading straight to danger rather than caught up in it.... a war galley?

After a moment more stirring Frederick put aside his reservations and nervously went to meet with the seeming leader.

Last edited by DankDunken; Jul 31st, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
  #63  
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 06:52 PM
Eryzule's Avatar
Eryzule Eryzule is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 23rd, 2018
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
Posts: 43
ThamShifting off to the side, Tham set his staff to the ground gently and took a deep breath as he began adjusting his footing.
His feet were just a couple inches apart and his legs only slightly bent. with a large flourish of his arms moved into a typical 'waiter' stance. His left arm up to his ribs, ninety degree bend at the elbow as if holding a towel over the forearm. The other arm straightened at his side.
The Keita's concentration was firm, his focus akin to a confident novice having learned the basics of magic field, but not able to apply them practically often enough for general use.

Another swift flourish of his arms, both hands sliding over one another before he shifted his stance to fac the group as if a water presenting food...
Dice Conjure Food(12-4+2=10):
3d6 6, 4, 4 Total = 14


...He stared blankly at his hand as a brief poof of magical energy escaped his hand. With a heavy sigh, he went through the same routine once more.
Conjuring food was a little more taxing that turning something else into food, but he wanted to prove he could do it.
Dice Conjure Food 2(12-4+2=10):
3d6 3, 4, 6 Total = 13


...Once again, mana fluttered from his open palm. "I...Huh." He quickly laughed, shrugging off the embarrassment, waving to those near by as turn back. Going through the motions a third time, sweat building off his brow. He turned to face the group again...
Dice Conjure food 3(12-4+2=10):
3d6 2, 6, 3 Total = 11


...His palm, presented to the group, what could only briefly be described as a loaf of magical energy vanishing into the air. Silently, the Keita fell to his knees, exhausted from the expenditure of energy. "I was always *huff* a bad *huff* food mage *huff* as it were..." He noted aloud, laughing mildly as he simply sat to catch his breath.

Last edited by Eryzule; Aug 1st, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
  #64  
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 08:31 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
???
Jo'Seph is uncertain what just happened.
  #65  
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 02:10 AM
Sivartius's Avatar
Sivartius Sivartius is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 19th, 2018
RPXP: 361
Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius
Posts: 215
After the mage's talk died down, Bezra approached Gamba, when she saw him temporarily alone. Her thoughts were still uncertain. If her Master had still been alive she would have sought him out for advice, but now she was on her own.

It seemed to her that much of Gamba's words had been for her benifit. The old Uxian was reputed to be as canny as he was deliberate. Perhaps he wished her to attach herself to the group that had brought the stone, and see what further information might be gleaned in their travels? It seemed that new times and change were coming to the Towers, and change was never easy for the Uxians.

"Primarus, if I might ask, do you have any wisdom to share with me?"

OOCThis is, of course, assuming that I've interpreted you correctly, and that she can find a time to talk to Gamba semi-privately. If no opportunity presents itself, she acts on what she feels his directions are, and seeks out the Irregular's recruiting station.
  #66  
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 09:26 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Raaz took the coins, but didn't count it. From the weight she knew it was more than what she was promised, but how much was to be determined later, "Thanks."

As Naja continued to talk, Raaz ordered herself a drink of ale as she listened to the offer of further work. Traveling North so soon didn't seem like a great plan, she wanted to settle down and learn the city well before being shipped off somewhere else to learn their ropes and custom, but the war messed with everyone.

The ale was gone by time Naja finished talking and Raaz watched her with her black eyes, "Anyone in particular you'd recommend enlisting with, or at least who to avoid? Don't want to get with the a wrong bunch of lawful people who would make me have to watch my back at all times. Of course, I'm in."
  #67  
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Purano, Outside the Great Ziggurat, Month of Peace
-Eventually the diverse group of Magic Users had discussed enough out in public and settled on another meeting later today on neutral ground. As they slowly dispersed Aarz Ley stepped up to Bezra and spoke a few words with a rueful look in his heavy set grey eyes. "Mogh Bezra - consider carefully whether you want to join this fight. There is no way of telling right now if it concerns us at all. While it would be foolish to underestimate the danger, it may never reach Dimi, and if it does whoever is behind it may have no ambitions of attacking the Tower."

The old Ux raised a hand to his wrinkled brow in farewell before he huddled down the platform, leaving Bezra alone with Gamba, who had remained standing off to one side. She seemed to consider the words before answering. "Wisdom? I thought I had said quite enough, but I see I will need to divulge more Information to you. First of all, it may be of interest to you to know that Zaqrah is family of mine. It was why he brought this magical gem to us, and in tow a human magic user of sorts - yet that you did not know, did you? The human was from a land far north, Caerphy, supposedly floating ice, fleeing a sort of shame he had brought upon himself. Luckily there are people in the tower that take a casual interest in Human culture and could converse with him in his own tongue."

Gamba wrinkled her brow and went quiet for a second, possibly imagining how much was too much to tell Bezra. "That human apparently was training as a sort of mockery of Magedom - a 'ship mage' is the only translation I could come up with - but he failed in his training. Anyway, what is important to us is that he stole the stone and fled his home at great personal danger through lands the Caerphians were apparently at war, so deep ran the shame. The gem itself is supposedly not unique up there, but something that a mage of prestige and experience will have access to. They harness it from a whole monolith of the material."

"And now we are hearing that there are ships of crystal and somebody throwing magical energies around with ease. It may be an ensnaringly alluring coincidence, because there is no reason for humans to come thousands of miles just to attack a small island, apparently avoiding detection up until now, so I will not assume that these humans are Caerphians, but it seems less of a stretch to think that they are using the same material to facilitate their magical attack. We just don't know - but we... the Triumvirate, the Tower... we must know. Somebody needs to go north, and there surely will be many. You happen to know a little more than others though, and Zaqrahs army could prove a means of keeping you safe up there. As safe as it gets, at least."

"There is also the matter of the material, should it really be like this gem, falling into the wrong hands. You understand, right? That is why we have not informed the rest of the Towers Community, let alone the House of the free mind. It would mean chaos. My cousin knows, and I assume material gain is one of the reasons he wants to fling himself north, but generally he is to be trusted. And he acts fast, very fast. While the City of Purano, and all other free cities for that matter, will still be squabbling over how many men to send, who to lead them and what colour their tunics should be he will be halfway around the island. I would not dawdle if I were you." The elder Mage looked squinted over to Nergui and smiled thinly as she adressed the crowds.

"As for keeping in touch with me - expect a casting of communication every evening right after the sun has set." With that Gamba seemingly considered the conversation to be over, as she gave a stiff bow and briskly walked away.

OOCI forgot whether I always refered to Gamba as she or not - but it's not hugely important considering the Ux are hermaphroditic. They don't use gender pronouns in their own language, and just pick whatever they like best at the time in others.



-Nergui seemed pleased as she looked over the crowd. Some people were finally detaching themselves from the crowd to walk towards the platform. The Tsing Goun stepped back and nodded towards Voitleja, seemingly pleased enough with his posturing. Ase was doing much the same, and the Veteran seemed to take it all in for a second. "Looks like you have the attitude of a leader already La - come down the Platform in a second, looks like I have to enlist a few people first."

She was about to walk towards Jo'Seph or down onto the square as Tham interposed himself to start his impromptu demonstration. Nergui watched as the Keita struggled to produce a quantifiable effect with an unreadable expression frozen on her face. When he had recovered his breath she scratched the base of her beak and looked sideways a second, seemingly remembering something. "Right - I believe you. But we won't be having problems with the food. Did you say something about earth or stone earlier? Something that we could actually need was a quicker source of ammunition. Think about that, and in the meantime stay with Voitleja here. Consider yourself on his squad."

The Captain continued on past Tham, stopping beside Jo'Seph. "You're right - we will need many men, and you already have the equipment. You are signed, I'm also putting you with Voitleja. Saves me the hassle." Nergui walked past the To'Ari and down into the small group of volunteers that had formed at the bottom of the stairs. She talked about the specifics with the people before sending most of them off to Zaqrahs townhouse or the docks. After that was settled she received Voitleja and everybody else down there to talk about their new duties.

"Alright, let me tell you what's what. We might be Irregulars, but we are organising this army Uxian style. Doesn't have to make sense to you, but know this: Squads of fifteen men, six forming a platoon of ninety. If we are lucky we can get nine of those to form a full company, maybe we have to do it with six. I'm second in command to Zaqrah, and I will also lead a platoon directly. Voitleja, you are a Squad leader now, with these people as part of your squad. I know I can trust you, so will not be a mindless frontline squad, but work closely with me."

"You don't need to fill up the rest of the spots with just one type of unit, but more men you need - if I can count right eleven more. Just tell me what kind of soldiers you need to be able to do anything I ask of you - be it reconaissance, support, or laying down some hurt. I can sort through the recruits and send whatever you want your way - some archers, more brawn, whatever. Remember that you are supposed to a self contained fighting unit within my platoon instead of a specialised squad, understood? Either way - we need to get moving here, see what kind of ships and artillery Zaqrah is in the process of procuring."



Later that Day - The Flute and DiplomatNajas multifaceted insect eyes seemed to light up briefly as she heard Raaz consent to her plans of joining up with an army. "Well you want a more scruffy outfit. On the one hand the fancy free cities armies would not take you anyway - since you're not a citizen - and on the other hand, as you say you don't want them armies that would be too... disciplined and all."

The Apiarian ordered another round for them as she thought about the question of the various armies to join. "Word has already made it to down here that the trader Zaqrah has formed an army. Reformed to be honest, one hears that he was involved in wars between the Free Cities before. It seems like a safe bet, just for the reason that they will most likely remain unattached and move northwards fast. With the local Mercenary outfits you never know exactly with which army they will end up, and when. Also they are by their very nature expendable and hence mostly put right in the middle of the action, whereas Zaqrah is an old fat cat that will still look out for himself and those that are his. Depends on you where you want to be at, your call."

"Just so you know, I'm plenty sure that the Snakes will funnel many an Agent into all of the mercenary outfits and also into Zaqrahs irregulars, not just you, so I better show you one of the most common local signals." Naja raised her left hand to show Raaz how to begin. "It's actually a risky one too, but people usually pay much less attention to the people around them that they think."

Using the smallest two fingers on her hand she ran them in a semicircle around her right eye, starting at the top. "That's it fundamentally, though most people do it as a scratch and initiate it by talking about having a rash or how the flies are killing them. The sublety depends on the individual user, which is why it is a sort of initiate signal in the Vinione Snakes."

"So that's it. If you need anything else from me I'm here. I would not think to long before joining up with somebody though. While the free cities will be long in talking about how and where and when to send their troops others may move more quickly, right?"


The "Cruyphead", Purano Docks, at the same time-ishThe wizened To'Ari had concluded his brief conversation with the people that had pushed towards him first he turned towards Frederick. Up close the Argali could see that the man was probably some sort of a rich persons servant, and not a military man himself. He got all that from the finely woven if well worn clothes the man was wearing, and the softness of his wrinkly hands.

"Step right up man." The To'Ari servant waved him closer with a lightly clawed hand. "There are two ships left without a captain. One of them is a galley for transporting troops and boarding other ships, while the other is for ramming mostly. Do you have any experience with either?"

OOCYou can imagine the former as a Penteconter, the latter as a Trireme. It's up to you if your character actually has experience with warships, he certainly has the skills for it. Be mindful though that according to the unwritten laws of story all the characters will probably end up on the ship you chose.

  #68  
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:08 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Sipping on her second drink a little more slowly she watched Naja for her reactions and listened closely. At the mention of different clothes Raaz shrugged and nodded her head towards the building she was sleeping in, or at least it's general direction, "I can change into my normal clothes, which should allow me ta blend in easy enough. It didn't stand out too much for the normal person around here. Zagrah, you say? I'll keep an ear out for 'em. Good to know he'll watch the back of those who work for 'im, I've worked for some shady people before where everyone is expendable."

Sipping her drink her steady eyes watched the signal of the Vinione Snakes and with a quick look around to ensure no one was watching she mimicked the move, "That will be helpful as well."

As she finished off the last of her ale she smiled over at Naja, "Thank ya for your help in this new city. I'll go get my things and head over to, well...where would I head exactly? To meet Zaqrah? I can head there in less than an hour."
  #69  
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Sivartius's Avatar
Sivartius Sivartius is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 19th, 2018
RPXP: 361
Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius
Posts: 215
Bezra bobbed respectfully in the air, and set off to look for a recruiting station. She remembered earlier mention of an "Irregular" company, and figured she would go looking for one of their recruiting stations. Having the Primarus disappointed in her was unpleasant, but her master had been very much not a cloak & dagger political type, and she hadn't really had a chance to hone those sorts of skills, or collect that sort of information.

Putting together what the Uxian had said, & what he had not said, Bezra figured she had been sent on a discreet "fishing expedition". The Order didn't know if these invaders were tied to the magic monoliths, but if so they needed to find out fast, and either way, they needed to do it without letting other groups know that these stones even existed in the first place.

As she flew, Bezra started thinking of how she would promote herself to the recruiters. It was probably best to focus on her healing skills and spells. She didn't doubt that a mercenary group would have need of physicians, and her spells were mostly healing and utility spells. Perhaps she could get them to pay for alchemical reagents, and she could make potions for them. With only one true "battle" spell, she doubted she could pass for a combat mage.
  #70  
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"It's an honor to be a part of this..."
Jo'Seph looks for an opportunity to send a small message back home stating that nothing particularly interesting happened at the festival...purely to notify his friends that the hospital seems to be a dead-end.
  #71  
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaThe Seene was silent for a long moment after Nergui asked what kind of soldiers he would need - at first taken aback at suddenly being handed a squad. He quickly pushed the surprise aside, however, and focused on the question. There would be time enough to consider what this position meant in the future, there was more pressing matters at hand.

He sent out a subsonic ping and examined the images of his already selected squad members that came back. He already had a vague idea of what Ase and Tham could do. The To'Ari that Nergui had addressed was carrying several melee weapons but no shield - probably an offensively oriented melee warrior.

If Voitleja had eyes he would have closed them to picture the images he had seen in his dreams. Seene unit composition he knew very well, the dreams sinking the concepts in over the course of his entire life. Now, however, he tried to picture what kind of units the other sides would field. More archers than the Seene usually had. Often a weapon and a shield, it seemed, although two handed weaponry wasn't unusual. Riding animals weren't uncommon either, although that may not be practical if they were taking a boat towards the front.

Medics, as well. On the Seene side followers of Tappa usually handled the healing of the troops, but other sides had their own healer types to keep their soldiers at peak condition. Voitleja wasn't sure how much he wanted to reveal of his magic and how quickly, and besides, it would be wise to have another medic in case he was embroiled in a melee or otherwise indisposed.

He considered his options carefully, lined up his words, and finally spoke. "I would request two scouts, capable of moving quickly and quietly ahead, four archers, crossbowmen, or other such ranged warriors, four melee fighters, armed with shields and armor if possible, and a medic of some kind. Is that acceptable?"
  #72  
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 12:34 PM
DankDunken's Avatar
DankDunken DankDunken is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2018
RPXP: 165
DankDunken DankDunken
Posts: 29
FrederickFrederick nervously stumbled forward. "Uh, err.. Yes sir, I've had plenty experience with both". Frederick had indeed captained war vessels in better times, though it's been quite a while since he's had the pleasure of leading a pack of warwolves to glory. In truth, he'd rather just have to deal with steering the ship rather than dealing with a crew of men, but he knew that if he wanted to get any better at sailing, he'd have to keep up experience with both types of boat. "I-I've had experience both with leading a boarding party and sailing a ramming ship, but I would be perfectly f-fine with captaining a boarding crew.."
  #73  
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Eryzule's Avatar
Eryzule Eryzule is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 23rd, 2018
RPXP: 115
Eryzule Eryzule
Posts: 43
ThamThe Keita was overwhelmed by both excitement and a kind of sudden reminder of his mortality.
This didn't deter the one eyed creature but did cause him more concern, easily visible on his face.
Not entirely sure who he should be reporting to, he simply had to ask aloud to those that remained long enough...
"Where should I go?" He asked, wide-eyed.
  #74  
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I don't normally use shields, but I could take one if you think it would help."
  #75  
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericg1s View Post
"I don't normally use shields, but I could take one if you think it would help."
VoitlejaThe Seene shook his flat topped head, a slow and ponderous movement. "You should use whatever you are most comfortable with. From your current equipment I assumed you did not use a shield, and I thought some other warriors with shields would be better to support you."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB