Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 06:11 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Southern Managh Island, Day 8 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe three boats sat quietly on the water as the group talked amongst each other in hushed voices.

In response to what Ase had said about the boats somebody knocked on the back of his shell. Turning around he saw that it was the froglike albino Wahka, stretching looking at him gravely out of her beady eyes. The bullywug slapped the water next with her white hand, indicating her suggested course of action.

"I swim good and I am quiet," said Wahka in her croaky voice. "You swim better, maybe not so quiet. If you want to know about the ship I say we go. Boat is not needed for us."

The Bullywug sought Voitlejas eyeless face for their Captains consent, and with the barest movement he indicated that the two could go. Wahka tied the hood of her cloak around her face more tightly to keep her white clammy skin hidden, then slipped into the water almost soundlessly. Her head bobbed up out of the black waves to check whether Ase was coming with her, then she used the raft to push herself away with her powerful legs.

"We can have a look at the campsite," said Frederick from the front of the middle boat, mostly to Raaz. And indeed somebody had to take them with a boat unless they wanted to leave all equipment behind, as Ase and Wahka had been the best swimmers.

She had to gingerly switch rafts while Asef the crossbowman, never short on words, advised them in whispers: "They surely left behind a force large enough to hold their own - so it will be dangerous. Don't take too many risks. If you really want to keep them from interfering you will have to stick their rowboats with holes. They have to have a way to go back and forth from the Ships and the camp. If they can't get to us anymore all we have to worry about is however many men are on the ship."

As Frederick started to row away Asef touched Raaz lightly on the upper arm with his scaly hand, a trace of worry showing on his face. He composed himself and grinned lightly as he gave a sloppy salute to Jo'Seph. The raft floated away under Fredericks heavy pulling.

The Argali took them towards the camp in a wide arc while everybody kept their heads down as much as possible so their sillhouette would not show against the horizons. Crouched in the raft they could all soon see that it was a large enough camp with over two dozen large hide tents in a style that none of them were familiar with. It had little to do with what the To'Ari erected in the deserts, or the round jurts of the Tsing Goun. This looked like it was originally made more to keep somebody warm instead of assuring ventilation. A few figures were already visible moving between the tents.

Frederick deposited them behind a convenient rock jutting out from the sandy beach a hundred feet away from the camp. He remained there on the raft should they need to make a quick getaway. From here they could see that spikes had been stuck into the ground in a circle around the scattered tents, facing outwards in loose bundles. It had been quickly done, more to slow down an approach than to create an impenetrable barrier. A few openings marked entrances, but at those points at least one visible guard each mulled about in semi darkness. Only occassional torches stuck in the ground lit the outer reaches of the camp.


OOCAlright, since Gaekub may be a while I have decided to just split you up for now depending on your suggestions. I had thought with Ase being amphibious he would be very good at scouting from the water, but if he wanted to go join the others in scouting the camp that is also fine.

Jo'seph I put with Raaz, in case that was not clear.

I might supply a map of the camp in the near future, but just imagine large tents surrounding a few firepits. Some of the tents may be for storage, and any rowboats would be lying on the beach behind the circle of spikes.
  #137  
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 08:49 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph takes out a spear to throw. He will wait until the time is right to attack....
  #138  
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 12:48 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse looks at his companions and back at Wahka. "Sounds good to me. Let's swim. See what there is to see."
  #139  
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 07:43 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAs Asef placed his hand on her arm she gave him a warm smile, "I'll be careful." before she tucked her head under the dark hood and climbed into the other boat to make it to the shore.

Jo'Seph was a little less sneaky than she wanted to come along, but it would be good to have someone stronger than her to defend her if something did go down. Raaz's heart was pounding with excitement as she eyed around to determine what the best course of action was.

The suggestion of taking out the boats made a lot of sense. If she could poke enough holes in the boats that they had, they wouldn't be able to easily get to shore. Holding up her hand to Jo'seph she eyed the spear, "Only attack if absolutely necessary."

She glances around the area to see the best plan to sneak in, and where she could do the most damage.
  #140  
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 09:42 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
Ase dipped himself quietly into the water and prepared to swim with Wahka towards the ship.
  #141  
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 02:31 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
At the CampOn closer inspection the circle of stakes that marked the camp turned out to be two rows deep, but the distance between them was wide, especially when compared to the slender frame of Raaz.

After a preliminary walk around the perimeter Jo and her could find two openings leading into the tent city beyond, each of which held a guard. From outside they could only see a few people mulling about close to the fires, keeping them fuelled with logs stacked nearby.

The tents looked fairly uniform in make and size, at least at a quick glance from outside the fence around the camp. If equipment storage was marked it was not visible from here. In a few places large opened cages of wooden stakes stood next to the tents, its occupants clearly having been larger than a jungle cat, but smaller than the small kind of mammoth that was native to Vinione.

What was though were the long rowboats lying where they had been pulled upon the sandy beach in the northeastern corner of the tent city. At least from where the two were standing neither Jo nor Raaz saw any guards immediately next to them. They were plentyful though, so sticking them all with holes would take some time. What was in their favour was that the sound of the waves hitting stones that jutted out of the waters nearby was masking a lot of the noise they made.


Out on the WaterAse and Wahka slid through the waters quietly, the former being physically adapted to this kind of movement in the ocean, the latter obviously having trained for the ability. The common Bullywug lived in swamps and bogs, but Wahka barely had to come to the surface more often than Ase.

When they were within fifty yards of the ship that had been closest to them Wahka touched Ase to get him to rise to the surface.

"See, people with lantern on deck," the Albino told Ase, motioning to lights moving about on the ship in front of them. There were maybe three or four individual lanterns being carried about slowly by the human crewmembers.

Wahkas hand rose to point up the main mast, where a triangular blackness was visible against the nights sky. "Someone in the crows nest. Sleeping maybe, maybe not. No lamp, good night eyes. Danger."

The albino Bullywug sunk back into the water slightly, only her bulbous eyes and the top of her oilskin hood visible. She nodded towards the next ship in line in the wedge shaped formation of the three that had been left behind - the one with the crystal bow - the indication meaning that she wanted to get closer to their actual target.

So they dove again, describing a large arc around the small ship to end up somewhere in front of the crystal bow, its shiny angular surface reflecting the light into their eyes. Above it on the deck stood a single figure, seemingly seated in a large chair.

The rest was much the same as with the smaller ship lacking in the crystalline adornment: Four or Five lanterns moving about on deck or standing still somewhere and a manned but dark crows nest.


OOCI have a map of the camp so you can make more informed decisions going further:
 


White is pcs, red is (visible) enemies, orange is firepits, the rest is tents and boats. As I said you can walk "through" the outer fence as it is not a solid barrier, or go around it in the water. If there are other safety measures they are hidden to you.

I think the situation from the water is less complicated - at least at the moment - but if you need a map let me know.
  #142  
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 06:29 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph moves very slowly and carefully to get into position.
He will try not to be the first to attack.
  #143  
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 03:18 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseHead bobbing in the water Ase says "This is it, huh? Is there a way to get up there? We may can scale the side of the ship, get to the weapon room and hit the other two ships. Seven or so beings up there is probably more than you and I can take Wahka. But with surprise, we may can take them. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on what we should do next?" Ase's eyes cast left and right trying to find a weakness or flaw in the ship or patrol.


 

Last edited by Vulco1; Feb 9th, 2019 at 02:33 PM.
  #144  
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 05:24 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAs Raaz studied the location, she wondered if she could get by the guard without drawing attention to herself. Currently, it wasn't really worth taking them on, and sneaking up on him and being caught would leave her dead with others within reach. Perhaps a better way was to tie the boats together and send them out to sea instead of poking holes.

Glancing back at the others she hesitated, before talking in a hush whisper, "I don't see any guards around the boats. I have an idea. I'm going to go get rid of some of their oars."

She decided to sneak up towards the boats and grab as many oars as she could.


Dice Stealth:
3d6 3, 2, 2 Total = 7

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Feb 9th, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
  #145  
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
At the CampMoving first into the shallow water of the west and then northwards to bypass the stakes the two tried to make their way quietly up to where the rowboats of the camp lay on the sand. They hugged the ground as they crawled forwards and quick glances sideways told them that for the most part the guard at the entrance was not hearing them or looking their way. The human seemed to be bored by his task, a bit tense maybe, but clearly nobody here was even thinking about anybody coming in from the oceanside at this time. Only once he turned his head to look over at the ships out on the water, but by that time Jo and Raaz were at the Pallisade erected with spikes, hidden from casual observation.

After they had crossed said threshold they moved quickly over the open ground. Those men that were standing around the firepits were only black outlines against the glow, where there heads were turned not really visible. From inside the camp the two could now also see that there were a good two dozen all in all, sitting or standing about near the warmth of the fires. The light of it seemed to blind them to what was happening on the beach, as Raaz and Jo crossed the space to the rowboats without attracting any attention.

There were six rowboats here all in all, but a lot of recent lines in the sand suggested that not too long ago there had been many many more. The bulk of those that had been left provided ample cover to inspect them in a little more detail without immediate fear of detection. The boats each had four benches and three pairs of oars. They looked like eight might be a comfortable number of people it would carry, with twelve or even more seemingly possible in a pinch.

On the sides of the boats there were fastening the oars could be fitted into, but luckily things were less complicated right now. Under a tarp of leather inside each of the boats the two could find the oars lying there. Picking them up out of them without making much sound required some finesse, but with two people it could be done. When you had to simultaneously keep your head very low it made things even slower, so it felt like an eternity before they had all six oars out of their first boat. Still, so far it seemed like they were pulling it off - and even better, when they wanted to return to Frederick and their own raft they had the oars as flotation devices to help them with it.


Out on the Water"What, you want to go up there. Up there right now?" Wahwka seemed slightly baffled and sank into the water so for a moment only her eyes where showing. When she appeared again fully she rearranged her hood as if to shield herself from that notion.

"We look now, look good and then boss man makes a plan. Come back with more guys, hit seven over the head." Her rubbery pink tongue ran over her broad white lips for a second as she looked over at the ship. "Only one chance at that. Mistake and belly full of humans wake up. Who knows how many. Big ship, could be fifty men."

As she treated water she thought this over, trying to find some agreeable solution. "Tells you what. I swim around, see where climbing best. You brainy man, yes? Go look at the crystal. Wahka never seen a stone like that, maybe stone spit fire. Man sitting on top of it Captain - that I know. King of Stone."

Considering Ase was at the moment failing to make out any details about the sides of the ship as it was illuminated by the half moons it seemed like there may be some sense to it. From this distance Ase was not sensing any of the special properties said crystal bulkhead might have. It was certainly not aiding the buoyancy of the ship.
  #146  
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 04:41 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazHappy that they got the six oars, she realized this was going to take a lot longer than she thought, "Should we ditch these oars first, and go for the next group? We can't hold on to all of them. Maybe one of us swim out and dump them in the water?"

Taking a deep breath to calm her thoughts she nodded, "Let's pile all of them into the water, and then drag them out after."

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Feb 10th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
  #147  
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will carefully hide the oars just along the edge of the water.
  #148  
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseHe nods and whispers "That makes sense. We don't need to fight now."

As Wahka swam off, Ase tried to get a better look and scrutinize the crystal.


OCCAse is going to try to look at the crystal and get a sense of it magically.
Dice Detect Magic (9):
3d6 6, 3, 2 Total = 11
  #149  
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
At the campStacking the oars near the line of the water in the area that was hidden by the bulk of the boats was a slow task, but working under cover it felt like there was no immediate danger of being detected. Nonetheless the two made haste, leaving an oar or two in a few of the boats so they could stack those they had wrestled free and start to think about getting out of here.

Eventually they had four or five stacks of eight to ten oars each, which would cripple the speed the rowboats could make decisively. It might just make the difference if their attempt at commandeering the main ship out there in the bay would be detected too soon. As far as Raaz and Jo'Seph knew the scouting endeavours of Ase were going well, if the quiet was anything to go by.

Once they were ready to go they would have to float out with the oars and make their way back towards where Frederick was waiting for them. It'd be best to hold on to the oars until then or float them out far enough so that the tides carried them away from the beach, not towards it.


Out on the WaterWhen she was sure that Ase was happy with what she had suggested Wahka smiled briefly underneath her hood. Then the Bullywug dove under to swim away to resurface a good deal later further towards the Stern of the ship.

Ase went the other way to get closer to the bow, where the Ship had been reinforced by a large triangular piece of crystal reflecting the light of the moons. Even though he was of a race that was naturally adept at swimming he was not exactly quiet as he floated closer. The person Wahka had supposed to be the Captain sitting on a sort of throne atop the crystal did not stir at the sounds, though further back on the main deck a lantern was carried over to the side.

The human holding it was evidently looking down onto the water, so Ase had to let himself sink into the water and trust into the ocean and the camouflage to hide him from view. After what felt like an eternity the lantern was drawn back again.

Carefully Ase could move towards the crystal to have a close look, and even run his hand over the smooth surface. It felt somewhat warm, quite unlike other glass or stone, and it made Ases skin tingle. Under the surface of the crystal he could feel something brewing, a sort of power. A spell confirmed this at the second or third try. There was mana pumping within the stone, as if it were a living organism. In fact it seemed to "breathe" the power in from the air, sipping from the well of natural energies that was all around us. Ase was sure that the stone would do this until it had reached its capacity, but for what exact purpose he was not sure. He could not access the magical energies from here, they were as if behind a membrane that did not let him reach through. The crystal was sucking the mana from all of its surface area, but maybe there was an "exit point" where one could take some of the power out of the crystal in turn.


OOCI rolled for stealth for ase and rerolled the detect magic spell here.

As far as I am concerned Raaz and Jo'Seph could leg it out of there. It'll take a stealth roll though, pretty much either way you do it. Then next post we can have everybody in the same place and plan the takeover of the ship. I'll include Wahkas findings then.
  #150  
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Once the oars are gathered up, Jo'Seph waits for the next moment to act.
He is no longer really certain what to do, but removing the oars slows the enemy.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB