Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 09:30 PM
DankDunken's Avatar
DankDunken DankDunken is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2018
RPXP: 165
DankDunken DankDunken
Posts: 29
FrederickListening to the arguments flung back and forth, Frederick finally replies "I-I have to say, the swamps will be no vacation, but we're at war." He gulps and continues. "I should have no t-trouble getting the ship to and anchored in the swamps, a-and while I'm not as familiar with land as I am with sea, I do have a fair share of hiking experience I should be able to impart, us Argali are a hiking folk after all. And I'm sure between our capable compatriots," he says, giving a shy nod to Voitelja, "And our capable crew" as he gives a glance at the fellow crewmembers "We should be perfectly capable of roughing it out in the mangroves. We should be worrying more about them getting the drop on us then our ability to navigate the terrain." Suprised at his sudden burst of confidence he immediatly refutes "B-but of c-course I'm sure you are v-very knowledgable sirs."

Last edited by DankDunken; Aug 27th, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
  #17  
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 06:20 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
She listened to them argue back and forth, and was half tempted to tell Memnesius to shut up when he was raving, but he eventually got quiet before Raaz was angry enough to speak. When everyone put their two cents in Raaz spoke up, "I think that the mangrove would offer protection to the elements, enemies, an' give us solid footin' under our feet. Swamps ya have to watch ya backs from all directions includin' the ground."

Raaz was alert, keeping an eye out around them as everyone else spoke, "On the other hand, the swamps would be easier to see an oncomin' attack."
  #18  
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonQueen View Post
Raaz
...
Raaz was alert, keeping an eye out around them as everyone else spoke, "On the other hand, the swamps would be easier to see an oncomin' attack."
VoitlejaAt that the Seene spoke up. "I do not see as you do, but I have very sharp hearing. If the forests are thick and we are quiet, I believe I could hear attackers before they could see us."
  #19  
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Minor-Update - still on the boat after all
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceAfter Voitleja, the Captain of the ship and a few of the men had added their opinions on the matter Mohi cleared his throat and said: "This kind of forest grows thick and straight out of the saltwater. Means we would be marching in thigh high water for a while. Does not make for quick movement, but it's not that far to dry land. One could float some of the wooden pieces of artillery on the water to transport them though, but that's a matter for the workers."

"Memnesius is also right that the growth will keep the ships hidden. I doubt there are bandits in these seas right now that would attack vessels of war, but if there is really a band of humans walking north from Zai'der they would just see the ships and scuttle away into the jungle before we could apprehend them."

The Keita Squadleader cut in here again. "Damn right I'm right - but over in the east the road gets a lot closer to the shore as well. The water will go up to my chest, but walking through that for five miles beats twenty of mud. Can't set up camp in a swamp either. Anyway - you're the boss right now, so give the order"
  #20  
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'll try to make my way wherever we plan to go."
Jo'Seph lines up to march with the squad.
  #21  
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 09:36 AM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaVoitleja stood back up to his full height and began to slowly swing his head left and right, Seene body language for being lost in thought. After a long moment of consideration, he spoke. "We will go through the forests," he said. "Captain, bring us in as close as you think is best. Everyone else, prepare yourselves for the water." He turned to face the troops and squad leaders. "Those of you who are taller may have to carry any gear of the shorter that cannot get wet." He paused again, trying to think of any other considerations, but could not.
"Everyone, dismissed," he said, and then set off to pack up his own sparse gear.
  #22  
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 04:39 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse went to his area and collect his few items. He traveled light as always… he gathered the staff he requisitioned before they left town. He had no armor other than his own natural defense. And said a simple prayer. His carrying bag containing his maps, notes, and journals he left where they were.

I’ve never knowingly wandered off to commit acts of violence. I’ve never left my belongings behind, sparse as they are, thinking I may never see them again. At least I know, I may never see them again.

With a heavy sigh, he thumbed through them, not really reading anything. He placed them in his bag and neatly put them back in his footlocker.

Then he climbed back on the deck and waited for the order to disembark and casually looking around to see if there was anyone who needed help. Either with work or counsel.


OOC
 

Last edited by Vulco1; Aug 31st, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
  #23  
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 05:10 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe sun was already setting as the two galleys anchored closely to where the seawater became too shallow and the mangrove forest began. With the help of the dinghys men and material was transported to where the soldiers feet hit the muddy ground between the thick clumps of growth that the thin trees formed, looking like they were standing on stilts with their thin tendril like roots reaching through the ocean into the earth below.

Ase was aware of some facts about this particular type of forest. There were two types actually, the red and black mangrove. Both were adapted to grow in the saline conditions of the ocean, but black mangrove forests were supposed to be cursed. They actually grew on land, with their roots sticking out of the ground like the spikes of a trap. These forests were uninviting and hard to traverse, so many a story about evil spirits had sprung up. Comparatively the red mangrove forest, which luckily this was, was not viewed with any suspicion and could be crossed easily enough by rowboat or wading through the shallow water, which the army did.

Two hours later the sun had almost disappeared behind the hills that jutted out of the area where the forest ended. Solid ground made the marching much easier, but under the light of the waxing real moon and waning blood-moon all that could be done was set up camp. The ocean road was almost in sight, depending on how close to it the camp was supposed to be. Either way, from this position somebody on permanent lookout not blinded by the fires (if there were to be any) could easily make sure that no large group slipped by on the road.

Those soldiers not on guard duty for the two pieces of artillery - if they had already been erected - or on lookout were huddled around campfires - if those in fact were allowed - or sleeping. There was an anticipatory air around, even though many were not expecting to find the supposed group traveling north at all.

"Tragic that. My beautiful visage is all stung up by those damned insects. Perhaps the swamp was the better idea after all, or is that also riddled with mosquitoes? Agh, there goes another one - is there no peace!" Asef had been complaining about insects for a while now. He slapped his face with his left hand, since the other was around his crossbow, and scratched around his eye in a circle with the claw on his little finger. He winked at Raaz before settling back onto the ground.

Sheedi, the Uxian Crossbowman sat nearby, probably just because they wielded approximately the same weapon. "They left me alone..."

That had Yalar, the other Ux click her tongue before going on another lecture on Uxian fairy tales, as she had done often during the journey so far. When not rowing that is. "It is said that Habmood, the Poison and Antidote, once tricked Gula, the lord over flying bloodsuckers to have his children cursed so that they could never partake in Uxian blood any more for fear of death. Mayhaps the Gods of the Skinks were not as kind."

"Shove your gods. Abis stalks the seas at night and swallows ships of mammals whole. If they heard you'll curse us all." Even though it was not technically addressed to her Mali cut in out of comradery to her reptilian brethren.

The other soldiers were not participating out of fatigue or sheer disinterest. Bucket had already fallen asleep leaning his heavy frame against his much thinner brother, who was examining the Bow of Ebtsun, the Tsing Goun archer, who had the weapon of the human in hand to do the same.

Wahka was out in the darkness watching the road. She had volunteered.


OOCI assumed a lot of things to get this post up, but Gaekub (if they feel like it) can just rectify or clarify in their post at some point. What I mean is the exact location of the camp, where (or if at all) the artillery is set up, who is out on patrol (or how they are organised) et cetera.

The camp would most likely be very close to the road (as in 2 hours away or under) and since it is on elevated ground you will be able to just monitor it from here. Note though, the (direct) artillery that you have needs to be more like 200 yards close to be effective because of distance penalties and their ranges.

It'll depend on whether anybody is into more interaction if I'll jump to the next morning with the minor update. We'll see.

A slightly updated map:
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 1st, 2018 at 05:10 PM.
  #24  
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 07:37 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'm sorry if I'm slowing you down. I'm used to much dryer terrain."

Jo'Seph tries to ignore the Skink comment and keep up with the group.

Once they reach position, he helps set the artillery.

High Command doesn't expect the enemy to come this way, but having a ballista barrage set up just in case won't hurt things any.
  #25  
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 05:43 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaThe Seene ignored the bickering of his squad for the moment, his long slow strides carrying him quickly around the campsite as he gave orders and asked questions of the abilities of the other squads. Once he had set up the troops as best he could, he set off a ways out from the chatter of the other soldiers and found a comfortable place to sit and listen, stretching out his sharp hearing as best he could, listening for anyone approaching the camp.


OOCHere's how I want to set up the camp.

-Only one fire, it can be big but not too huge. A bunch of fires might scare them off, but a single might even draw them in, looking for someone to rob. People can take turns sitting around it, cooking their food, etc if necessary.
-A few pairs of guards spread out around the camp, maybe 3, to make us harder to sneak up on. Try to have at least one member of each pair with good night vision. They can rest in shifts.
-Voitleja is going to let the other squad leaders and his squad know where he is and rest maybe 5 minutes out from the squad towards the road to make the most of his hearing.
-Let's set up the artillery now in case they do find us.

EDIT: - Having reread our goals and done some thinking, here's how the camp is set up: At the top of a hill about 250 yards away from the road, the artillery is set up. 50 yards beyond that, hidden from the road by the hill, is the camp with its single fire.

Oh, and if we have a tarp or anything we can throw over the siege weaponry to hide what they are that would be great.

A tactics roll in case I'm missing something obvious.
Tactics (8)
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 4, 1 Total = 7
I'll take whatever extra time I can to get bonuses to my skill if that's an option.

EDIT: And a camouflage roll (skill 11)
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 6, 4 Total = 12

Last edited by Gaekub; Sep 7th, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
  #26  
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 09:00 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Raaz had been getting along swimmingly with many of the new members of her crew, there seemed to be a fun back and forth with Asef, though the mosquitoes weren't bugging her as much. Using her claws to scratch her head she watched the group as they spread out.

Voiteja had given the instructions on how he wanted the camp set up, and she spread herself near the fire place while they set up most of the camp, to allow her fur to dry, "I'll take one of the watches. I can see in the dark. It'll give me a chance to scout a little around as well to make sure nothing comes up on us."

Raaz wondered who she was going to be placed with. It honestly didn't matter much to her, but she hoped it was someone who she could at least tolerate, and wouldn't find it super awkward if they were quiet for most of the watch. While she didn't mind talking, while she was scouting she needed silence...she didn't want to miss anything.
  #27  
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
Ase found a nice log to rest upon. He breathed in and out, meditating. He asked spirits of the forest to warn him in some way if any intruders, people not in their party, get close. With a camp this size with this many people, we should have no worries about animals bothering us.

 


He sees Voiteja coming over. “Hello Voiteja. As I had mentioned before, I have a relationship to the natural world. I have petitioned this forest to provide some warning in advance if anything comes to us. We’ll see if it helps any, eh? I’ll continue to look around and see if I can do anything to further aide us in not being caught flat footed. If there’s anything else I can do to help us that you can think of, please let me know. And which shift you’d like me to take, my eyes aren’t especially good at night though.

Last edited by Vulco1; Sep 6th, 2018 at 01:45 PM.
  #28  
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Minor Update

Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe forests that the army had passed before entering the hills - which were mostly bare of trees - responded positively to Ase soothing magic. They had nothing much to actually say to the Raz'ar, but communicated telepathically that they would let him know if anything that could do him harm passed their way. It still left the south and southeast open, but that was where most of the sentries were turning their attention to anyway.

"Why I think there is Gao coming back from guard duty right now." Asef had jumped up from his resting place as the burly Getta stepped into the circle of light the fireplace was throwing around it. The To'Ari indicated Raaz with a twirl of his hand next. "If you are about to relieve him, mind if I join you?"


  #29  
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Is it my turn now?"
  #30  
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 10:16 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
She smiled and nodded to Asef, "Company would be lovely. Just don't be upset if I'm not much of a talker durin' watch."

Raaz was watching the man who seemed to be more interesting then the rest. It wasn't familiar to her to have skmeone actually interested in her, and she wondered if she was reading the queues incorrectly. She guessed she could just bluntly ask, but some people didn't like that.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB