Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 09:44 PM
DankDunken's Avatar
DankDunken DankDunken is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2018
RPXP: 165
DankDunken DankDunken
Posts: 29
FrederickThough he spoke about being able to forge land, Frederick didn't expect a bog this bad. Up to his chest in swamp and muck they marched on, mostly keeping quiet to himself. He figured that he should come along for the trip, the ship would be perfectly safe by itself where he left it and he figured his fighting skills may come in handy. Frederick started to regret that decision now.

His confidence sapped along with his energy, he collapsed once they made camp. "I-I'd prefer to rest a bit tonight, but let me know if you need anything." he bleated tiredly. He found a comfortable enough nook, and began to rest.
  #32  
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of Peace"Oh well, we are supposed to watch, not talk, aren't we?" Asef had stepped away from the fire and busied himself with affixing a strap of leather to the end of his crossbow so he could hang it over his shoulder.

"I could just leave it, but one can never be careful enough. Don't you agree?" Confidently the To'Ari strode over to Raazes side and motioned for her to take the lead. "Let's relieve the watch then, shall we?"


Eventually Raaz and Asef returned from their guard duty to be relieved by the next in line. Even though there was a certain tension in the air felt by those that were still awake nothing happened all night. Those that had the nerve to sleep were awoken by the chillness of the morning the next day.


Afreh Territories, day 7 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceTwo hours after sunrise Voitleja saw a soldier of one of the other squads running through camp to find him. Eventually he identified the young Ilder boy as Rewis, one of the men from Sigisas Light Infantry.

"Captain! Captain!" Rewis started to shout as soon as he located the Seene, which with his size did not take very long. His shouting attracted the attention of soldiers and squadleaders alike, but only the latter shuffled over to form a semicircle behind Voitleja, while the Grunt merely exchanged knowing glances where they stood.

Rewis needed only a few seconds to catch his breath before he could relay his message. "We've spotted people in the distance, a mile or so down the road. No formation, it's a loose group. Many stragglers. Makes them hard to count - a hundred or more maybe. What's the orders?"


OOCNot sure if Gaekub mentioned it anywhere, but did you leave any soldiers with the ships, and if so, how many? If you decided to bring everybody with you there will only be the rowers left behind.

Also I'm assuming all the PCs are about to hear what the Boy is telling Voitleja.

Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 30th, 2018 at 04:56 AM.
  #33  
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'd better go over the man the ballista in case we need a shot. Signal if you need me to fire."
Jo'Seph hurries to the artillery and tries to get it loaded and ready.
  #34  
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse steps up and says "If they are only a mile away we don't have a lot of time. If we move fast enough, knowing where they are we could set up and catch them in a pincer or flank them. We could even perhaps drive them into an area that would be good for our artillary to get a good precise shot. If you'd like, I'll volunteer to try to sneak around them, pick them off, just maintain a position, or try to sow some chaos."

Ase steps back and awaits his orders, knowing that this war will very soon become much more personal for him, this forest, and everyone in it.
  #35  
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaVoitleja stood silent for a long moment, giving no indication he had heard Rewis. His heart had begun pumping hard once again, the realities of the responsibility on his sloped shoulders suddenly becoming crystal clear. He thought back to the songs he knew of battles the Seene had fought, to the little tactics training he had gleamed during his time on the farm. It suddenly felt wholly inadequate. It was all he had however, and he was in charge. He said a quick prayer to Tappa, and then turned to the other squad leaders.

"Sigisa, I want you to travel across the road as stealthily as you are able and set up a flank. Once we and the artillery have gotten their attention, you will attack them from behind. I will give a signal, but if you see an opening, I trust your judgement." He gestured to Ase with one long arm. "Take Ase with you, as well as a squad of archers. Keshu, Mohi, decide amongst yourselves which squad would be better suited to the jungle." he said to the two Ux. "The other will be on this side of the road with my and Memnesius's squad. We will protect the artillery and draw their initial attention. In addition, I will need a soldier from one of your squads to operate the second siege weapon. I leave that to your judgement as well." He paused, waiting for any questions, and then turned to his own squad.

"Ase, as I said, you will be with the flanking group. A good suggestion, thank you," he said, and then turned to the rogue Bullywug. "Wahka, I think you should go as well. I know you prefer swamps, but I trust you can operate from a jungle as well." He continued to focus on lone soldiers, picking out the Keita mage. "Tham, go with Jo'Seph and assist with the artillery," he ordered, gesturing towards the man already setting up the ballista.

He straightened his back, rising to his full height, and swung his eyeless 'gaze' over the rest of the squad. "The rest are with me, unless you think you would be more useful elsewhere. Infantry keep ranks with me, those with bows or crossbows stay behind us. We'll set up 50 yards or so from the road, along with Memnesius and the remaining archers." He considered his options, looking over the assembled soldiers and feeling Tappa's desire burning in his head. "Wait for my mark to fire. If we can convince them to turn around, no blood need be spilled today." Voitleja contained a wince as the burn intensified. "Get ready and return to me as soon as you can. Di-." He caught himself before dismissing the troops. There was one other thing he had to discuss.

"There is one other thing you all should know," Voitleja said, his words faster and more clipped than usual. "I will avoid the details for now, but I do not see as you do. I can only sense people within 40 yards or so." He paused to let the idea sink in, and then continued. "As such, I will need an aide on the battlefield. Someone to let me know when the raiders have noticed us, how they react to my words, and where their forces are outside of that area. Raaz, you have offered your assistance in other things, I would be happy to accept it here. However, I will be on the front lines. If you would rather be elsewhere, another volunteer would be very much appreciated." It was not the way the Seene wanted to have this conversation, but he had left it too late. Any more delay and he would have been putting lives at risk unnecessarily.

"Dismissed."


OOCAs unfortunate as it is, I think I would have left a squad behind to guard the ships. Let's say Jula's, mixed infantry seems the most capable to guard a ship alone.

If Keshu and Mohi can't decide who should go on the flank, I'll send Keshu.

Going to head over to the road once everyone is prepared, try to find a place about 50 yards from the road that's on an uphill slope so we have the high ground.

And here's another tactics roll in case that would be useful (skill 8):
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 1, 5 Total = 11

And a leadership roll because why not (skill 9):
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 5, 2 Total = 9

Last edited by Gaekub; Sep 11th, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
  #36  
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse acknowledges his new captain and moves off with Sigisa, while she prepares and gathers her forces. He continues to try to ready himself (mentally, emotionally, spiritually) for the possible combat ahead. As the time to move gets closer and closer, so does his resolve.

I’ve taken the lives of many things. Plants and animals to eat. Beasts in the wilds attacking. Creating fire and consuming the plants and the air. However, I’ve never willingly set out to fight or struck from the shadows. This is different, isn’t it… Or is it? The ants of the mounds wage large scale war against each other, throwing everything their society has against one another and they are still here. The squid finds and kills other animals when they get the urge to, they are still here. Tribes of apes scout and find other groups to attack and bring to heel. Even the vlasta attack and only take the eyes and leave the rest to die and rot. War and murder are built into the Balance of Nature as sure as anything else.

And survival and thriving, of the individual and the community, are definite priorities of maintaining the balance. Almost nothing is asked to lay down and die when an outside predator makes its way into your den or warren. You fight for our life. Bomsyl’s prophecy indicates that ending this war as quickly as possible would help maintain a balance in the long run. And one way or another, in the war or out, I’m on the scale as much as anything else is.

Either way, I’m committed now and a deer that walks in the middle of the trade road gets hit by the cart. And hesitation could cause others to get hit as well.


Once they begin to move behind the enemy forces, he prays to the forest for good passage that their trek will be quiet and that their path will remain hidden. Moving low and as quickly as he dares, hoping to emulate some of the natural grace of the goat lady’s balance, praying that he and the squad won’t be seen before the time comes.

 


Having arrived and newly committed, he hunkers down waiting for the signal.

Last edited by Vulco1; Sep 11th, 2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Updated grammer
  #37  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceMost of the Soldiers knew not what to respond to the confession about Voitlejas particular problems with sight. 'Mad' Mali ejected a small chuckle and shouldered her massive two handed metal studded stick, which drew some icy glares her way.

"Right away!" Sigisa, the female Argali Leader of the Light Infantry broke the silence and almost slapped her horns with her hand as she saluted sharply. With a quick shout she had her lightly armourmed soldiers turn around to march off in two loose rows.

Mohi threw a knowing glance over at Keshu. The two Ux communicated silently this way for two heartbeats, before the latter also saluted and prepared her squad for departure. Wahka, her face hidden by the hood of her robe, waited until Keshu and her men were ten yards ahead before she followed wordlessly.

"Weapons out men!" Memnesius had a certain glee in his voice and the three squads headed for their position away from the road. The few archers that were in Voitlejas unit joined those men of Mohis squad that stopped a little up the hill behind where the Infantry was getting into formation.

From their vantage point Voitlejas squad could see far down the road. Sure enough, there was a loose group walking along it towards them. Less than ten minutes later the mass of people was drawing nearer. The first few dozen people stopped a hundred yards away as they had certainly seen the thirty soldiers on the hill and possibly the artillery. The tail of the procession was not as quick to slow down with those in the back pushing into the front, compressing the whole group into a vaguely tear shaped mass.

Possibly there was some argument going on within the group, but the muffled voices did not carry to Voitleja and the others 150 yards away from them. Neither could they at this distance see many details about the people in the wandering band.

Eventually the group decided to continue their walk down the road, stretching out into a longe loose column again. As they came even closer whoever was acting as Voitlejas aid relayed to him that indeed a large of the band seemed to be human of varying extraction, maybe a bit more than half. The rest were a ragtag assortment of all the other people of Vinione. Very few of them seemed to be wearing anything approximating armour clearly visible. Few had anything in their hands, and fewer still held anything shining like metal, but at fifty feet one could not really tell anything else about the armament of the band.

Regardless, the group kept their heads down and sluggishly marched down the road. They avoided looking over at Voitlejas Soldiers on the hill altogether, probably hoping they could just pass unmolested since their path was not blocked. Soon they would be between the hidden Squads in the Jungle and those up on the hill.

Memnesius gritted his teeth somewhere not too far away from Voitleja, but said nothing. In the back Mohis squad had cocked their arrows or readied their crossbows, but beyond that was also waiting for orders.

Unbeknownst to Voitleja the Soldiers in the jungle were aiming into the passing procession. Sigisa had positioned her Infantry directly behind, so that the infantry was only a step away from shielding the archers as they reloaded their weapons while not blocking their arrows. Ase had been integrated in the group of light infantry, unless he had expressed a good reason why he shouldn't be. At the behest of Sigisa Wahka had grudingly joined the row of Archers , holding a sling loosely at her side.


OOCSure hope I am not misreading the layout here - but with around forty men standing on a hill fifty feet away from the road, the artillery 250 feet away, and other two squads hidden in the jungle the roaming band is trying to just walk past. At fifty feet it is still very hard to pick up any details about anybody (it's -8 to perception, plus the approximate size modifier of the details you want to pick up).
  #38  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaThe Seene kept his head turned towards the noise of footsteps, attempting to give the impression that he was watching them as they approached. He stood in silence, holding his bow in his top two hands and his shield strapped to one of the bottom pair, waiting for his aide to alert him that the leading edge of the mass was only ten yards or so from passing the rows of troops.

"Stop!" he called out once he got the signal, booming voice carrying over the gentle slope. "We are here on behalf of the town of Afreh to prevent you from reaching Habol. You will turn back now. Where you go is not our concern, provided you do not continue along the road." He reached one long boneless arm to his back and drew an arrow to punctuate his sentence. "If you do choose to continue, I will be forced to use all soldiers and weapons at my disposal to stop you." He gestured backwards at where he knew the siege weapons to be. The entire speech was spoken loudly and as clearly as the Seene was able, but with very little emotion. On a different day he may have tried harder to convince them, tried to help them understand or even just frighten them away. But today he wanted a fight. Needed one. Such was the price he payed to Tappa.
  #39  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph tries to get the artillery ready to fire and aimed at the group.
He will wait to be certain he has a good shot and that the order to fire has been given before firing.
  #40  
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAs the column of soldiers stops on the road, the infantrymen around Ase bristle with anticipation. Ase tries to listen intently for Voitleja to make this peaceful or for the first sounds of war...
  #41  
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:07 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
When their weapons were drawn, Raaz took the opportunity to hide somewhere that the humans couldn't see her. She was still sligthly sleepy, after not getting a full twelve hours of sleep, who would have thought that fighting would lead to less than half the day of sleep. Crazy people working on less than that.

As Voitleja requested assistance she wondered what it would be like to not be able to see well. She relied on her eyes and ears to keep things away. With a deep breath she nodded, "I'll help where I can being your eyes and ears, I would only request at least on guard that is good in close range as well to watch your back."

With a few steps forward, sure to quiet and attempt to stay hidden as she glanced around to look for the leader of the group, preparing to shoot them if she had to.

Dice Stealth 13:
3d6 3, 2, 6 Total = 11

Dice Observation 15:
3d6 5, 6, 4 Total = 15


Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
  #42  
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 09:51 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Minor Update

Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe loose clump of people sluggishly came to a halt at the shout of Voitleja, most of them turning to look in the direction of the Seene and his band of soldiers. The people in the mostly human band shuffled about for a few breaths or murmured quietly amongst each other. This close Raaz could see that many of them had brandings on their face or foreheads, a custom she was not familiar with from home, but could guess was no mark of honour.

After a few seconds of indecision seven people disengaged from the rest of the herd, somebody told Voitleja, to step a few yards towards the Soldiers. The person in the middle was an older and weathered human with muttonchops of thick black hair and a suspicious squint on his wrinkled face. He had wrapped a dark blue headband around his head, wore a few pieces of leather over his clothing and held a short thick spear. The people to either side of him, all of which were human, were equally armoured, slight dirty and dour looking.

The human in the middle started shouting in Voitlejas general direction: "My Name is Cela. They call me the Blue Boar. We are no Citizens of any Free City, but nor are we slaves. You have no right to stop us here when all we want is to pass to the lands of Dimi. If we are not to go to Habol, we will walk around - all gods be damned! You can't stop us!"


OOCI might possibly move the next big update to monday, seeing as I only now got around to my minor/midweek update. As per usual nobody is required to post again, but it may be good to get a pre-combat action or two in (like aim a weapon or something along those lines).

@Ericg1s Since there is now two-ish things to aim at it'd be great if you specified which thing you are targeting: The main band or the group around the leader. It'd be easier to hit somebody random when going for the former.
  #43  
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazRaaz repeated what the man said in a voice low enough they wouldn't know she was talking, but Voitleja could still hear her. She also explained what they were wearing, and the marks on their head. To her, they looked like threats but she held off shooing for now, "The human who is yelling is holding a spear, and all three people nearest to us have armor on. I think I have a good shot to get him in the throat, if that's what you want to do, though they state they are not going to Habol...unsure if I trust them."

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
  #44  
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:09 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
Ase
These aren't soldiers, they are just people trying to relocate. Hopefully this can be talked out.

With the better look that his position with the infantrymen gets him, Ase's commitment wanes. Something about this band, he's not sure what, doesn't scream soldier to him. This almost seems wrong to block their. However, whether they are soldiers or not, salves or not, freemen or not, Ase was a soldier and he had promised himself he'd see this through.

He tightens his grip on his spear, readying himself, as he tightens his resolve to his new duties.
  #45  
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 08:36 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph holds his fire and waits for a signal. He is not certain that these people are hostiles, but he doesn't want to relax too early.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB